When will they flip the kill switch off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Factory workers weren't behind this. If they were, the lot numbers would give it away. Samsung could have traced it back to the date/shift/factory as to what the batches were. Instead the bad batteries have been made by different companies at different times.

From everything I have read so far, the batteries aren't to blame but are getting it none the less. They really need to look at the charging circuit and overload protections. Something tells me that the batteries are getting damaged from some type of runaway when charging and when the battery discharges, the damage causes a thermal runaway and thus a fire.

I dun think factory workers or even the engrs are so skilful that they can sabotage the battery until they blow up only during usage. Surely some would have blown up right at the factory if they do so.

But I sure believe some of the reported cases are sabotage. There's nothing difficult to make your phone burn, took a pic and sent it to whatever online media.

Cannot believe Samsung still dun have a single investigation result yet from the tens of cases since last week

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung Knew This Was Coming Before Now

Verizon told me today that all people with note 7 phones will be getting that box. Sounds like they want the phone back, and I would guess the kill switch will be 30 days after box comes.
Yeah, it says that on Verizon website, through the link provided from today's email from Verizon.... Didn't say anything about 30 days/kill switch though

I heard the box can only fit the phone. Is that true? Had no plans to give up accessories anyway.... another fast charger will come in handy next year

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Samsung Knew This Was Coming Before Now

Yeah, it says that on Verizon website, through the link provided from today's email from Verizon.... Didn't say anything about 30 days/kill switch though

I heard the box can only fit the phone. Is that true? Had no plans to give up accessories anyway.... another fast charger will come in handy next year
I'm speculating on kill switch. I don't think the n7 is going to be allowed on any carriers network at a certain point imo.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Stupidity or Incompetence?

Apple never made a phone that would burn down your house,have a recall,issue "updated" phones that do the same thing and then have another recall. They made 2 mistakes

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

I do think they pushed hard to increase the battery life and then they rushed the testing of the device. I would be surprised if in the next few months we find out about a few internal Samsung emails from a few engineers worried about the new batteries. Lithium-ion is dangerous stuff. I think they got careless and pushed the envelope without sufficient testing.
It is far more likely that the error is related to the PCB. Tolerance between some crucial power traces was probably too small causing failure with repeated heating and cooling. This was likely exacerbated by wireless charging. Eventually you get a short and then poof goes the battery.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm trying to do the upgrade online and it's telling me I have to pay $20 upgrade fee. I thought this was going to be waived?

Edit: Spoke with chat support - they refund the upgrade fee.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Apple never made a phone that would burn down your house,have a recall,issue "updated" phones that do the same thing and then have another recall. They made 2 mistakes

Your point is? Have Sony, HTC, Google, Huawei or the rest of the manufacturers except Samsung done it before?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered a refurbished S7Edge on Ebay. It is not the phone of my dreams, but it will allow me to remain free of a Verizon device payment so that I can jump on the next Note phone.

I had the edge for 12 days before the replacement were ready. Didn't like it, hope u will. I did trade yesterday at Verizon to the Note5. I actually like it. At least I am content till the next phone.

zebra23

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
System Updates??

Now that the Note 7 is officially dead, will all support and updates including Nougat stop as well? That would be my only incentive to get rid of the phone and switch to something in production.

ray689

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site

I trust them. I trust them because they've been making phones for a long time and 1 mistake doesn't change that. Some of you folks are ridiculous. I guess you are perfect in all that you do? Samsung produced an awesome phone, recalled it when they didn't have to, gave promotion after promotion with free crap, and is still recalling it again at the expense of unfortold losses. Apple never gives anything or.has any promotions, and has had similar battery issues, yet there is silence.

The fact that they did recall it which is unprecedented and what has happened since should tell that yes they clearly HAD to.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: System Updates??

I'm willing to bet my left nut, that the only update you will see deteriorates the n7 to damn near unusable, if not unusable altogether...

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Just got off with Verizon. They voided my device payment plan, returned my my down payment, and told me to not return the phone to them either at the store or shipped.

Anyway I went with a Black Onyx S7 to hold me over. I hate the excessive curve on the S7 Edge as it leads to too many accidental touches (the curve on the Note 7 was perfect...like everything else unfortunately). I'm fully invested in wireless chargers and need the SD card and Gear VR functionality as those were freebies :). Figured I can upgrade to the Note 8 next year...if not the S8 Edge sooner but only if they make the curve similar to the Note 7!
The only way to upgrade after a year is if youre on the edge plan. The Samsung annual upgrade plan expired for the s7 and s7 edge. You would have to pay off around 300 bucks after a year.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
That is a great point. I would hope that people would get out of it now and when the Kill Switch is finally flipped that there will only be a few people left with it. There is no longer a reason to keep it, so why wait until that time

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I ordered my replacement N7 and when it came in the mail I returned the old one like any other return with their pre-paid label and then a week later I get a box from the Feds that was more like a safe. It was about four layers of thick cardboard. one box inside another and another and so forth. I am waiting on my credit. I hope I didn't goof up by returning it the conventional way.

Anyone else get the US Government box?

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Seriously? Why the personal attacks?

Disagree with my post, that's fine. But, saying that people are ridiculous because of having an opinion different than yours is wrong!

He said "SOME folks are ridiculous"... (and quite frankly, i think he could even have said, "most" and he wouldn't be exaggerating...) i totally understand the frustration of reading sooooo many ppl willing to "jump on the bandwagon" of criticizing the situation.

Sadly, this happens all the time.....Samsung could have handled this 1000 times worse....

Tekata Airbags anyone? : (

BTC

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
I ordered my replacement N7 and when it came in the mail I returned the old one like any other return with their pre-paid label and then a week later I get a box from the Feds that was more like a safe. It was about four layers of thick cardboard. one box inside another and another and so forth. I am waiting on my credit. I hope I didn't goof up by returning it the conventional way.

Anyone else get the US Government box?

The one i received was from Fort Worth Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay