When will they flip the kill switch off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I loved my Samsung Note 7 better than any phone that I have ever had.

Don't mean to sound like a Baby but it hurt today to transfer everything over to a old S6 I was holding onto incase of an emergency.
And hurt even more to take it to Best Buy and give it to them.
They was asking do you want another phone.
NO !
I'm eligible for a upgrade now. Don't owe for the Note 7.
Sitting here wondering if they will come out with a replacement before Christmas to help them with sales for the end of the year..
To wait till next march is a long time.
That is 6 months without a new phone to make them sales.
And till next August that is like 11 months till next August.
Man that is a long time to wait.

And using the S6 after I have been using the note 7, Man please its terrible.
Like going back in time.

So if they come out with a new name or replacement for the Note. I'm ready and have the money.

drty_e

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Worst case scenario

Well thats unfortunate.
I had no plans to turn my n7 in.

Neither was I... All the stress trying to get the 2nd (replacement) phone and now this.. I was gonna root the phone and hope the devs would keep me updated but that's not gonna happen if they flip the "kill switch"

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Neither was I... All the stress trying to get the 2nd (replacement) phone and now this.. I was gonna root the phone and hope the devs would keep me updated but that's not gonna happen if they flip the "kill switch"

Even if they don't brick the phone with an update, devs probably won't support it. It won't be worth their time because not many people will even have the phone.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I did read this, it's why I posted the link above.

Yes, I read the recommendations/instructions. What I said is that nowhere in either link I posted does it state production has been halted, let alone permanently stopped. That has all been from media's unnamed and anonymous sources.

So... let's assume that Samsung magically finishes their investigation and provides a fix for the issue after a few months (that's being optimistic).

Then CPSC confirms the fix, goes through another extensive amount of testing (remember they allowed the faulty replacements back onto the country.. something they won't do easily again without significant testing and proof that the issue is fully resolved).

At this point, Do you really believe that carriers will actually sign up to allow any device with the name "Note7" back in their stores to attempt to sell them again?

Meanwhile, Samsung needs to prepare for the S8 release in the next 6 months - where potentially this same issue may occur there as well...

There are numerous articles by many reputable news sources all reporting the same thing - Samsung has ditched production on the N7...

This Note7 is no more.
It has ceased to be.
It's expired and gone to meet its maker.
This is a late Note7.
It's a stiff.
Bereft of life, it rests in peace.
If you hadn't shut it down, it would be blowing up the daisies.
It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible.
This is an ex-Note7.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I do find it curious that they are taking their time announcing a full scale recall. I thought the CPSC would have said something definitive by now. I don't know about you but that language that Samsung wrote means to me that there is no more Note 7 and its pretty definitive to me. So, that just makes me wonder why having they just announced a full scale recall of the device. I would think they would do so immediately with the possibility of fire. Instead, everything has been low key and passive. Samsung may want that, but surely not the CPSC.

As long as they are this low key about it, despite the news reports, people are going to take their time returning the phones back in.

(I notice that as late as yesterday, Samsung still have the Note 7 on their site to order, but notice it's gone now.. so it just looks like the moving that way quietly and slowly.) It should be a 5 alarm fire to return the phones back! lol

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Meanwhile, Samsung needs to prepare for the S8 release in the next 6 months - where potentially this same issue may occur there as well...

...which means that Samsung probably wants to devote as much time and resources as possible towards making sure the S8 is a solid phone with a solid release. That means devoting fewer resources towards the Note 7 at this point, along with trying to keep their name associated with bad news as little as possible as of now.

I do find it curious that they are taking their time announcing a full scale recall.

Legal reasons, I'm sure. There's probably a legal definition of "recall" that they're being careful about.

TTQ225

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Still waiting to see something directly from Samsung stating that they will no longer be producing the N7. See lots of links to regurgitated, speculative news articles, with info obtained from anonymous sources, etc. So far all I've seen from Samsung the past couple of days (i.e., asking carriers to stop sales/exchanges during the investigation) hasn't changed. It's not stated that they've stopped, or even paused production.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...sung.com%2Fus%2Fnote7recall%2F&token=NGDb6XcK

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...note7-while-further-investigation-takes-place

You wanted official announcement? I got this email from Samsung Canada 3 hours ago. Note 7 is no more:

"On behalf of our entire Samsung Canada team, we'd like to thank you for your continued understanding as we proceed with the return process for the Samsung Note7. We are committed to helping make your return as easy as possible.

Beginning Thursday, October 13th, Samsung Note7 owners can bring their device to the original Samsung or authorized reseller point of purchase, to:
Exchange towards a Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge device.
Receive a refund for the Note7 device and Note7 specific accessories.
As a recalled product, it is mandatory that all Note7 devices must be returned. As such, please power down and bring all Note7 devices including the replacement device and original device if you have not already returned via the pre-paid packaging sent to you.

For customers who purchased their Note7 on Samsung.com, a device refund will be offered upon return receipt of the recalled devices. Samsung Canada will send a separate email to our online customers from Thursday, October 13th to provide them with details regarding the return process.

Please note that the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act prohibits recalled products from being redistributed, sold or even given away in Canada.

For Note7 return inquiries, Canadian customers should contact 1-855-747-6520.

We appreciate your patience during this process, and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for your continued support of Samsung.

Sincerely,

Paul Brannen,
COO, EVP Mobile Solutions
Samsung Canada"

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
If I return this phone in the next week or two and get a refund the only phone I'll have is my S3. I turned that back in tonight to try that out again. But it is soooo slow compared to my N7. Funny thing is the more I used it the warmer it got. Heck my wife's S7 gets hotter than my N7. I could never last another 5 months or so with my S3 plus I've noticed that battery drain's faster than the N7. Plus it's rooted. I wonder if I did a factory reset on that phone if it would run faster? I'm not to keen on rooting anymore. I had my days with it not so much anymore.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Reposted for emphasis.. do what Alex says.. there are several reasons why you should return the phone... If you don't have another phone to fall back on, get one... You got the Note 7, and whatever money you outlayed should be returned to you.. money you can use towards a replacement. Will that replacement satisfy every use case that the Note 7 can? Not all of them... but such is life.

I just can't see how keeping it could ever be an option.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Can carriers block/disable service to Note 7 devices if they see users still using the device?? Could anyone sue the carrier of someones exploding device for not taking anymore preventative measures???

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Can carriers block/disable service to Note 7 devices if they see users still using the device?? Could anyone sue the carrier of someones exploding device for not taking anymore preventative measures???

Good question. I know that if something happened to me because of someone else's exploded Note 7, I'd be looking to sue everyone I could--especially the nimrod who kept his Note 7 because he was "not afraid" and it was "his choice".

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Reposted for emphasis.. do what Alex says.. there are several reasons why you should return the phone... If you don't have another phone to fall back on, get one... You got the Note 7, and whatever money you outlayed should be returned to you.. money you can use towards a replacement. Will that replacement satisfy every use case that the Note 7 can? Not all of them... but such is life.

I just can't see how keeping it could ever be an option.

This!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Could they? Yes. Will they? That is unknown. Samsung knows the IMEI numbers of all their Note 7 phones. If they gave a big ol' list to the carriers and then the carriers put them on the "blacklist" they would not work on any carrier regardless of what you do.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Take if for what its worth but I just got back from a T-Mo store and the manager said that T-Mobile WILL BLOCK the phones in the near future.

I am sure they will give people enough time

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

As it stands, if Samsung does not do something to actively disable the phones, they share in the liability for damages and injuries caused by those phones. At the moment, their focus seems to be more on treating their customers well and begging people to PLEASE bring them back.

At some point in the near future, there will be another incident, there will be liability costs, and Samsung will finally say "enough is enough" and take some completely draconian action - if they truly have a kill switch we're gonna find out fairly soon, I suspect. Short of that, there will be a forced update that sets the charging algorithm to stop if the battery is above 0%, or something to turn the phones into fancy paperweights. That way, the hacker community is free to load third party firmware and Sammy can say that there is zero chance they were running an unmodified device. The liability for using the product falls on the person who has modified it.

After that, Samsung has no real reason to be so desperate to work with Note 7 owners any more. They have no liability they are trying to avoid. I would think the conversation would change from "please, PLEASE sell us back those time bombs, we will PAY YOU!" to "Oh, you want to return that dead phone? Yeah, let me put you in the call queue - please hold for 4 hours..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad