I work for a big Fortune 500 company. Number 54 on the list in case you want to look it up. Just got an email from them asking to stop using the Note 7. They are also blocking access to the email severs. It's good I switched to the S7 Edge on Sunday. Anybody else have something similar happen?
    10-11-2016 09:38 AM
    I thought most CISCO departments use O365... Turn off wifi and connect away.

Normally this via setting up an ACL for a group (at the network layer), and then denying access... Spoofing your MAC to another brand would resolve it. This is also assuming Samsung used a discreet MAC schema just for the Note 7 (apart from the rest of the galaxy series).

That being said, I'll call BS.
    10-11-2016 09:41 AM
    It doesn't surprise me. I would imagine many IT, Legal, and Risk organizations within corporations are looking at this from a liability/damage perspective now. I can't say that I blame them either.
    10-11-2016 09:44 AM
    I thought most CISCO departments use O365... Turn off wifi and connect away.

Normally this via setting up an ACL for a group, and then denying access... Spoofing your MAC would resolve it.

That being said, I'll also call BS.
    If it's an Exchange environment, they can block Active Sync access to email servers via device type.
    sMt73 and BarfingMonkey like this.
    10-11-2016 09:45 AM
    If it's an Exchange environment, they can block Active Sync access to email servers via device type.
    Wow you guys are fast. Yes, mobile mail is exchange based and most likely this is exactly what our IT is doing. I need to find someone who still has a N7 to see if they're actually doing it.
    10-11-2016 09:50 AM
    Depends what you are using on your device to connect.

If you use the Outlook app, currently it is does NOT report device type, it just reports that you are using the Outlook app. If your company is using that app, they can't block you. However, that is getting fixed soon so it will actually report your device.

I haven't thought about what we're going to do. When the first recall happened we only had 6 Note 7's out there.. we had them replaced, but not, I don't know. If it's devices we bought for the users, we will make them return them, but if somebody has one they bought themselves I don't see us blocking them if they end up keeping it.
    10-11-2016 10:06 AM
    Suspect any company that can will be doing so until these phones disappear.
    10-11-2016 10:23 AM
    Suspect any company that can will be doing so until these phones disappear.
    We don't have any plans to - I'm in IT Ops with about 20k active on-site users.
    10-11-2016 10:27 AM
    I work for a big Fortune 500 company. Number 54 on the list in case you want to look it up. Just got an email from them asking to stop using the Note 7. They are also blocking access to the email severs. It's good I switched to the S7 Edge on Sunday. Anybody else have something similar happen?
    I've been wanting to say this for a while, and I don't want to thread jack, but I love your Shiba. I have a Shiba too!

And to make this post more relevant, I work with 2 other guys that also have the Note7. And the one guy is pretty animate on keeping his Note7 the first time around, let alone now. We haven't been approached about not using our Notes or them being disabled. And we work in a school district, and in schools.
    10-11-2016 10:30 AM
    I've been wanting to say this for a while, and I don't want to thread jack, but I love your Shiba. I have a Shiba too!

And to make this post more relevant, I work with 2 other guys that also have the Note7. And the one guy is pretty animate on keeping his Note7 the first time around, let alone now. We haven't been approached about not using our Notes or them being disabled. And we work in a school district, and in schools.
    Awesome, they're great dogs.
    10-11-2016 11:24 AM
    Just chatted with the IT guys. Yes they are doing it via device type. We're using mobile exchange account. No Outlook app.
    10-11-2016 11:26 AM
    Sounds like a good idea for them. People shouldn't be using them anymore. Samsung even canceled them.
    10-11-2016 11:38 AM
    Haven't had that, the Note7 was in South Africa for like just under a week before the recall began, so very few got it. My company hasn't said anything about it.
    10-11-2016 11:58 AM
    Any hour now we should start hearing about them being banned from air travel under any circumstance. That alone will kill it's business use, even if you don't fly as part of your job. Would not surprise me to find out that individual managers would start banning them from meetings. Businesses can do a lot more to pressure users to change over, even if the reason is fear based, doesn't have to be an IT policy.
    10-11-2016 12:47 PM
    We don't have any plans to - I'm in IT Ops with about 20k active on-site users.
    Well, you don't have plans to do this until a senior exec brings it up in a senior management meeting and then it will become a top priority. I hate those guys sometimes.
    10-11-2016 01:01 PM
    It's the right thing to do.
    10-11-2016 01:11 PM
    Well, you don't have plans to do this until a senior exec brings it up in a senior management meeting and then it will become a top priority. I hate those guys sometimes.
    It's not part of the strategic plan - it won't come from that direction.
    10-11-2016 01:14 PM
    But there is no official recall of N7-2. Weird
    10-11-2016 01:32 PM
    But there is no official recall of N7-2. Weird
    Coming soon.
    10-11-2016 01:34 PM
    My organization has remotely wiped and shut down all our Note 7s. We use Citrix XenMobile. Users were told last week to power them down. Now they don't have any choice.
    Ry likes this.
    10-11-2016 02:17 PM
    My organization has remotely wiped and shut down all our Note 7s. We use Citrix XenMobile. Users were told last week to power them down. Now they don't have any choice.
    Nice, another nail in the N7 coffin.
    10-11-2016 02:47 PM
    How many more houses have to burn down? Cars too. Samsung really messed up rushing that POS to market. We don't see this happening with other phones to this degree.
    10-12-2016 12:59 PM
    Mid-200s Fortune 500 company here. Note 7s will be blocked in the next couple of days.
    10-14-2016 09:21 AM