11-06-2016 05:26 AM
555 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    I'm a regular s pen user. Didn't get the N5 due to lack of SD card. I'll get the next note but will wait for it to be out for a bit.
    shaleem likes this.
    10-13-2016 04:43 PM
    Comparing it to the n7, what are the big differences?

I know it is bluetooth only, but I hear the thing is it hardly had any customization features. No drag and drop for music and files.

I never had an apple product, always android. At this point with all this n7 drama, I wish it was all done. I'm waiting for a v20 at this point.

Thank you
    10-13-2016 04:57 PM
    Can I trust the Note 8
    10-13-2016 04:59 PM
    I'll wait for the next note or whatever they call it.
    10-13-2016 05:08 PM
    I'll be getting a V20 for now and see what Samsung has to offer next year with their N8 or whatever it'll be called ?!
    10-13-2016 05:12 PM
    Wish I could but I'll be stuck with the s7 edge for 2 years. Which I'm upset about, I got rid of my note 4 to upgrade to the 7, so I'm stuck without a phone. I wish Samsung gave us a loaner even if it was a refurbished phone to hold us up till the new note 8 came out or even the s8. I never wanted the s7 edge and now I feel like I'm stuck with it because there are no other options.
    10-13-2016 05:12 PM
    I didn't want to be stuck with the S7e for 2 years so I bought a Note 5 off of ebay, it will suffice for now.
    10-13-2016 05:18 PM

I know it is bluetooth only, but I hear the thing is it hardly had any customization features. No drag and drop for music and files.

I never had an apple product, always android. At this point with all this n7 drama, I wish it was all done. I'm waiting for a v20 at this point.

Thank you
    I am not sure what you mean about Bluetooth only. The iPhone does not have a headphone jack, but comes with a lightning to headphone jack adapter.
    10-13-2016 05:23 PM
    is the v20 water/ dust resistant? I'm kind of leaning toward the v20, but I really love the display on the note 7..
    10-13-2016 05:25 PM
    I've had phones from three ecosystems. Android (Nexus 5, Note 4 and LG G5), Apple iphone 4S (and ipads) and Windows phones.

By far the most restrictive with customization is iOS. It's gotten a little better in the last couple of iOS iterations but nowhere near what you can do with Android. You're restricted to iTunes for any sort of file transfers etc.

If you like tweaking and customizing your device I think you'll get really bored iOS really quickly.

And don't get me started on how iOS is supposedly "innovative"...like having to leave the camera app and go into the settings app to adjust camera settings...

The main benefit with the iPhone is Apple's customer support. You know your phone will get timely updates for years, and iPhones are overall well made, reliable phones that will perform well for at least a couple of years. They're phones for the people so to speak. If you're tech savvy and like tons of features and customization, iPhone isn't for you in my opinion. Unless jailbreaking comes back with a vengeance.
    10-13-2016 05:27 PM
    I have a Note 7 that I'll have to return (like the rest of you Note 7 users), and I'm having a dilemma deciding what to do after that. Everything else that is out now feels/looks like a downgrade. Aside from the old Note 5 (or even older Notes) nothing has stylus. The Note 7 was the only thing with dual ambient light sensors (it was the only thing I was always happy with brightness wise with ambient light sensors/auto brightness enabled), only thing with GG5, and one of the few things with USB 3.1.

I still have my previous phone (an HTC One m8) that I never traded in, so I could either stick with that and keep an eye open for what is coming out. (Ex: Huawei Mate 9, Lenovo Phab2 Pro, LG v20, Pixel XL, Predator 6, etc). Given that I've conceded that I'm going to have to give up the stylus if I want anything modern and decent I at least don't want to give up on a decent screen to body ratio (Note has an 80.94% screen to body ratio and 518 ppi).

Here is what I see as drawbacks to what's currently out there, what is scheduled to be out soon, and some of the rumored devices:

Note 5 - old, no external sd card slot, small battery, short battery life, weaker hardware, software will not be updated. What little support is still provided for this phone will not be around much longer. - I'm not really even considering this an option at this point.

S7 Edge - Probably the closest we can get to a Note7, but its smaller, sharper edged, older (technology wise and software wise). Old microUSB technology (slower charging). Only supports up to 200 gb sd card (good bye 56gb the phone will never see) (76.09% screen to body ratio). (I've got a 2016 Gear VR, and Samsung wireless charger, both of which I should be able to send to Verizon/Samsung and get reimbursed for unless I decide to settle for a S7 edge).

HTC 10 - Looks almost exactly like my HTC One m8. I feel like if I were to go with it I'd be paying for somethings that is almost the same as what I already have. They've also made the speakers worse than the m8s. (They only have a single mono speaker on the HTC 10).

V20 - 70.24% screen to body ratio, 513 ppi, USB 2.0

Pixel XL - 71.22% screen to body ratio, Ugly looking back (seen the back? who's idea was it to make the top part a shiny glass - like the the Note7 for the camera and above, but make the rest of the back - more than half an ugly non-matching color?), no external SD card slot (they say you get unlimited backup of pictures and video to the cloud, but the key words there are backup and cloud. What if you're in an area where you can't access wi-fi or a mobile network, and streaming video over the mobile network is going to suck up your allotted data).

Phab 2 Pro - Only available in gold or grey. Looks like it has physical buttons (triangle, circle, and square) at the bottom as opposed to lights that shut off and hide. 70.83% screen to body ratio.LCD screen.MicroSD limited to 128gb.
    https://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/v20

Mate 9 - Seems like the most promising, but everything about it is pretty much still rumors. The Long Island version looks very much like the Note 7, but word is that version will only be available in China. Manhattan specs are currently unknown. Unknown what carriers in the US would have the phone(s). Rumor is it may not have sdcard slot, and may only have 498ppi, and it may be usb 2.0.
    Huawei Mate 9 may have curved screen model with Daydream support | Android Central

ZenPhone 3 Deluxe - Probably has the highest screen to body ratio next to the Note 7 with 79% screen-to-body, but may have other things that negate it. Colors limited to silver, grey, and gold. MicroSD only supports up to 128gb. 3000 mAh battery. ZenUI, and may never get software updates. (Doesn't look like this phone is offered on my carrier - Verizon - anyway, so makes this a moot option).
    ZenFone 3 Deluxe (ZS570KL) | Phones | ASUS USA

What do you think? Should I go back to using my HTC One m8, and see what comes out, or settle for something that is out now?
    FSU30 likes this.
    10-13-2016 05:31 PM
    I'm waiting....... glad I had two phones to fall back on. Even though my N3 is a dinosaur but still does the job.... The iPhone 6 my daughter let me use is like the most boring phone I've ever used and the screen is way too small....
    10-13-2016 05:32 PM
    I looked around and decided to stick with my old POS phone until the note 8 arrives. Yes it sucks but I dont want to be stuck with phone payments when the latest and greatest comes out.

everything that is coming out now is a downgrade and that is a shame. I am surprised no one tried to tap into the note market yet with a similar offering... time will tell
    10-13-2016 05:37 PM
    It all depends on your priorities with a phone - camera, expandable storage, internal storage capacity, screen, battery life, etc.
    Everyone has different needs and uses. No one can make that decision for you.
    Personally, I went with the S7E, mainly because of the camera, screen quality and expandable storage. I can't go backwards with the Note5 with the 32 gb, non expandable storage and lesser quality camera.
    Make a list of priorities and check off your most important needs. You will not get everything you want, which is why everything feels like a downgrade from the Note7.
    is the v20 water/ dust resistant? I'm kind of leaning toward the v20, but I really love the display on the note 7..
    No

Thank you
    Basically, it's a Horse of a different wheelbase.

What Kris said. Plus solid, easy to use, boring device with excellent screen & camera. One great feature is you can choose to load the new software upgrades.

If you do it, pls remember to never ever do a software upgrade unless you are having problems AND let others do the upgrade first then read up on the forums before pulling the trigger. If you do & then brick your device or slow it down to a crawl, etc, there is NO going backwards.
    10-13-2016 05:41 PM
    I'm using the iTurd 7 Plus.
    10-13-2016 05:48 PM
    ZTE Axon 7 is my recommendation. I was more interested in it than the N7 from the start.
    10-13-2016 05:49 PM
    Picked up the s7 edge,, good enough phone til next summer.. Get a new phone every year anyways and I'm digging the s7 edge.
    AdamHLG likes this.
    10-13-2016 05:54 PM
    I thought with Verizon and monthly device payment, you can upgrade after one year? Im new to the new plans but I thought someone at Verizon told me that?
    10-13-2016 05:57 PM
    Thank you all, that makes a solid decision for me...NO IPHONE FOR ME! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!
    10-13-2016 06:02 PM
    I'm grudgingly going with the S7E till the next Note arrives. There's no doubt in my mind about that. Att has assured me my Next will not be affected, so I'll have an upgrade in the summer. If by chance the next Note comes before then, I'll have a bit of time to read and watch video reviews first. If they decide not to produce the Note line, I'll explore other OEMs.
    10-13-2016 06:06 PM
    No file system access = no purchase for me. I use my phone like a mini laptop /portable hard drive
    10-13-2016 06:12 PM
    I'm going to hopefully keep this S7 edge for a little while and wait to see what the note 8 is like.
    10-13-2016 06:16 PM
    ZTE Axon 7 is my recommendation.
    ZTE isn't an option on Verizon. (Seems like its one of the few carriers that doesn't carry it).
    10-13-2016 06:18 PM
555 ... 1314151617 ...