11-06-2016 05:26 AM
555 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    I'm going to be using my brother's old Note 4 until next year's phones come out. If I was actually having to buy one, I might go for the 64gb Note 5, but since I'm not, the Note 4 is at least familiar and has the storage I need and plenty of back up batteries.
    10-14-2016 05:54 AM
    Going to the S7E just to bide time till next fall when hopefully the next Note (or whatever they call it) comes out. Sticking with Samsung.
    10-14-2016 06:06 AM
    no one will EVER check anyways, it would have to go off to get caught. spirit and southwest airlines made NO MENTION AT ALL on a recent trip to and from vegas, and no one looked twice at us using our naked note 7's with s-pen out the whole trip out and back.
    All you have to do is sit next to the wrong person.
    10-14-2016 06:11 AM
    I'm picking up the S7E for now. I'm hoping the resale of the S7E holds since I'm getting one unlocked with the hopes of being able to flip it for whatever comes out next year to be next in line to the Note series.

The more I think about how much these devices cost, I may have to go back on contract for the first time in almost 10 years, so I don't have to put out so much money up front yet a 3rd time in less than a year.
    10-14-2016 06:34 AM
    Lol the Note 4 got MM before the Note Edge. And my Note Edge has MM. At least from Sprint.
    My T-Mobile Note 4 has the May 1 security update. My T-Mobile Note Edge has the same update.

My T-Mobile Note 5 has the July 1 security update. Aslo, the Note 5 does not have AOD.
    10-14-2016 07:04 AM
    Both displays are accurate to the point it is unnoticeable from perfect. Other than that the display is better on Samsung's flagships. The audio jack provides better quality than anything else, and is universal. Fast charging isn't what got the note 7 into trouble. Samsung Pay is better than Apple as MST is more ubiquitous.

How is it better when all the tests show otherwise? The iPhone is the better display period. Also you are dead wrong. The analog jack is analog. It will never have the best audio compared to DIGITAL. That is why people are going to digital now. If Analog was so good, why doesn't high end stereos use it instead of their Fiber Optic connections? LOL. Better search as Fast Charging IS what got the Note 7 in trouble. More adoption rate on Apple pay over Samsung Pay. Seems to me it's Apple Pay is the better one.

Display - The iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus Review: Iterating on a Flagship
    10-14-2016 07:09 AM
    no one will EVER check anyways, it would have to go off to get caught. spirit and southwest airlines made NO MENTION AT ALL on a recent trip to and from vegas, and no one looked twice at us using our naked note 7's with s-pen out the whole trip out and back.
    I think people forget that the phone was recalled for a reason. Keep pulling on the slot machine lever. Of course odds are nothing will happen but there is a chance something catastrophic could happen.
    10-14-2016 07:14 AM
    I'm really thinking turning mine in really soon. I used to have the Note 4 before I got the S7E. I seen on eBay they have them as low as the mid $200's. What is the latest software the N4 has? Will they ever update to the Grace UI since the 7 is no more? Also should I go back to the 4 or try the 5? But I'll miss the AOD no matter which one I get. Will the S-pen fit into the N4? Decisions decisions?? Which phone has the better battery life? My Note 4 was lossing battery life before I sold it.
    I'm currently using both phones on my T-Mobile plan.

For the past following weeks, the Note 4 has had the best battery life between the two.On the Note 5, I was having a problem with Google play services eating the battery, down to 60% in ten hours with barely 30 minutes screen time. I deleted YouTube, Google Maps and Gmail and that seems to have helped. After 13 hrs standby, battery is at 78% and screen time, 42 minutes with Google Play way down at 8%. Yesterday it was at 21% before I removed those three apps. I believe that my Note 4 is still getting the better battery life though.

I bought my Note 5 in January. I am running new batteries on my Note 4 that I bought on eBay and those are original OEM batteries just like the one the Note 4 came with.

I use my phones for the usual FaceBook, Twitter, news and light internet and texting and a few calls. I don't play any games so I can't tell you how the phones do while doing that.

Typically with my usage, I get 2 days standby with 2-3 hrs screen time but I also have six phones activated on my T-Mobile plan do I use my S7 Edge quite a bit as well as some iPhones.

Note 5 will get Nouget and I think the 4 is down with updates forever now.

Note 4 is still fast and I could easily use it as my only phone today but there are times when I am just blown away at how fast my Note 5 is at doing things. The Note 5 goes with me everywhere today.

The camera on the Note 5 is probably my most favorite to use out of any of my phones, even over the S7 Edge.
    10-14-2016 07:19 AM
    Here's a nice pic of the two phones S Pens. The Note 5 pen is slightly longer.

Here are the Major Note 7 Alternatives (sorry, none of them are exactly like the Note 7)-20161014_063843.jpg
    10-14-2016 07:40 AM
    If I do decide to get the note 5 from eBay and if its unlocked what carriers do I need to look for that will work on T-Mobile as well? I know ATT for sure what about Metro PCS?
    I use my Note 5 on Cricket and find it to be quite good. $35 per month for unlimited and 2 GB. $45 per month gets you 5 GB data. Of course, there is Straight Talk.
    10-14-2016 07:43 AM
    The way you wrote makes it sound like people could just swap their Note 7 for an S7 edge, and then swap again for an S8 edge if/when they come out in February/March. That however is not the case. Whatever anyone swaps for now they'll be stuck with at best doing a trade-in and payment of the remainder of the cost, or paying full price for whatever eventually comes out.
    Or pick up a S7 Edge in the 3rd party market and then use an upgrade (that wasn't used on the Note 7) on the S8 edge.
    10-14-2016 08:02 AM
    S7 Edge is an ok phone. In 12 months we will have the magical iPhone 8 and hopefully a Note 8.
    Until then Im content with the Edge.
    10-14-2016 08:06 AM
    Went to a 64GB N5 on T-Mobile yesterday to hold me over. Minus the edged screen and AOD I find the N5 very comparable to the N7. I will say that the 32gb version would be tough to roll with in this day therefore I spent several hours looking for the 64gb model. It seems like the N5 is on its way out in the brick and mortar stores and are getting harder to find probably due to the N7 recall.

I'll hold onto the N5 and see if the S8 series is worth the upgrade with JOD or wait and see what is released next Fall.
    10-14-2016 08:13 AM
    Had a N5 before the N7...used a S7E during first recall/wait time. Did not like it very much.

It seems once you get bit by the Note bug ....well that is all that will do.

Went back to the N5 and love it. It is not the N7 but the only thing that a Note addict like me can use till the N8 comes out.
    N5's are going for 300/350 on ebay.

I got mine at a local store for 350 for the 32g. That was a little high..but the phone was as new no scratches no dings.
    Ebay is always a gamble with phones IMHO.
    10-14-2016 08:16 AM
    I think I'm gonna buy a used note 5 on swappa for 350ish until the next note comes out... My Note 3 still works great so i really shouldn't justify it but.. reasons
    10-14-2016 08:20 AM
    This isn't a
    Bad idea either.. where there any glaring defects with this phone? Note 4 edge?
    Attached Thumbnails Here are the Major Note 7 Alternatives (sorry, none of them are exactly like the Note 7)-40716.jpg  
    10-14-2016 08:25 AM
    This isn't a
    Bad idea either.. where there any glaring defects with this phone? Note 4 edge?
    My fear with buying used is screen burn. Awhile back I bought a used Note 4 edge from someone and didn't notice in the photos, but after it arrived there was some hefty screen burn that irritated the heck out of me.
    10-14-2016 08:34 AM
    How is it better when all the tests show otherwise? The iPhone is the better display period. Also you are dead wrong. The analog jack is analog. It will never have the best audio compared to DIGITAL. That is why people are going to digital now. If Analog was so good, why doesn't high end stereos use it instead of their Fiber Optic connections? LOL. Better search as Fast Charging IS what got the Note 7 in trouble. More adoption rate on Apple pay over Samsung Pay. Seems to me it's Apple Pay is the better one.

I don't understand why you are so intent on throwing out random exaggerated statements, half-truths, and fallacies such as adoption rate. Me thinks you've been watching too much politics. I'm not interested in arguing with you so I will just look at the first statement you made.

Anandtech:
    "In the case of the 7 Plus I don't have any hesitation when describing it as a great mobile display, and certainly the most accurate on record. Whether or not it's the best mobile display is debatable, as Samsung provides serious competition with their AMOLED displays which benefit from perfect blacks".

I didn't see any "periods" in there, even for a site that values DeltaE above all else. And they didn't look at important factors like sunlight legibility either. You are quite clearly biased and uninformed, and I'm sure anyone reading your post thinks the same thing. Good day.
    10-14-2016 08:42 AM
    I just ordered the Pixel XL this morning. I don't feel very good about it though. I do have a Note 4 in my drawer but it was getting really bad lag and battery life before I got the 7 and it can't be used as a daily. This just sucks all the way around.
    10-14-2016 08:49 AM
    File system access...why does it matter if you have access to a cloud storage? I have dropBox, Google Drive and OneDrive. I can access any of my files. My 1st IPhone as well and honestly I'm not having any issues with it. Nice and boring. I will tell you this QHD vs 1080P on an iPhone waaaaaaaaay better than you think. I played that new game OZ and it makes my V10 look like dog ****.
    For those of us that do a lot of business travel Dropbox, Google drive Etc become quite useless in the air. Even if the plane have a wifi connection most of the time its not strong enough to pull a movie or video file. Its much easier to load up a sd card or usb drive and transfer to the phone directly.
    FSU30 and mmsean like this.
    10-14-2016 08:55 AM
    I did get the Note 5 because I love the stylus and the Note series. It is still a great phone. Battery has lasted me all day. I will use the cloud and deal with it. It's a personal choice I didn't like the edge when I used for 12 days waiting on the replacement N7.
    Funny.. When I was at Verizon there were 3 other customers turning in their N7 and getting the Note 5. There still is use for it.
    Samsung will return stronger and with a great device
    Was curious as to if you considered the Pixel XL? I've always been the biggest Samsung fanboy... And I'll likely go to a Note 8 (hopefully).
    10-14-2016 09:01 AM
    I haven't seen any Pink Note 5's on E Bay
    I just looked at several last night. You have to search specifically for pink note 5, though. Most are 32GB, but there are some 64GB.
    10-14-2016 10:27 AM
    Would be nice if they offer a incentive to switch to the S7 Edge. Maybe a $100 Samsung gift card or a Samsung Pay promo.
    They listened to you and gave you $100 for staying loyal ! Yay!
    PraetorianGuard14 likes this.
    10-14-2016 10:40 AM
    Well, I just ordered a blackberry priv through Verizon. After a year I'll only have to pay 200 bucks. The phone is 400 total. It was either the priv or a 413 dollar nexus 6p.
    10-14-2016 10:43 AM

2 things are wrong Here... First off Samsung pay DOES work at more retailers thank Apple pay.. in fact retailers don't have to even sign up for it... If the machine has NFC support then Samsung pay works ! In fact most places ive used it says "ohhhh that phone payment thing doesn't work here" - i say "watch and learn - ta ding - payment accepted" haha... In fact it works at 100 percent of the places that takes Apple pay... "Android pay" is a whole different system - it is not supported as much as Apple... Samsung pay - ok there other hand works virtually everywhere !

Second is FAST charging has nothing to do with the battery issues... In fact Samsung does not have a clear answer why but there's a ton of speculation from armchair wanna be engineers... Fast Charging has not been an issue in the S7 and S7 edge and three Note 7 used the same technology..

If anything, Samsung N7 screen has rated higher or the same in every single major reviewer rating
    Harlemknight likes this.
    10-14-2016 10:50 AM
555 ... 1718192021 ...