Here are the Major Note 7 Alternatives (sorry, none of them are exactly like the Note 7)

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: So what are the big differences with the iPhone 7?

File system access...why does it matter if you have access to a cloud storage? I have dropBox, Google Drive and OneDrive. I can access any of my files. My 1st IPhone as well and honestly I'm not having any issues with it. Nice and boring. I will tell you this QHD vs 1080P on an iPhone waaaaaaaaay better than you think. I played that new game OZ and it makes my V10 look like dog ****.

Zaku77

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: What to use after returning the Note 7?

ZTE isn't an option on Verizon. (Seems like its one of the few carriers that doesn't carry it).
I'm on Verizon, and I'm getting one. It's not 'officially' supported, but with a couple of simple steps and 5 minutes of work it will work just fine as it has all necessary bands.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

This situation sucks so bad. I wonder if I can hold on to my phone until they release the S8?

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site

People shouldn't take the chance with the ZTE. There is always a chance that when you get the phone and try going to your carrier they might not help you out with getting it on the network... Sprint and Verizon especially...

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

I had a v10 and loved it until the update killed the battery life.

I'm getting the v20. I love the second screen. Only thing I am going to miss is waterproof and the s pen.

I certainly am not going to miss the curved glass screen and the glass back.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

I did get the Note 5 because I love the stylus and the Note series. It is still a great phone. Battery has lasted me all day. I will use the cloud and deal with it. It's a personal choice I didn't like the edge when I used for 12 days waiting on the replacement N7.
Funny.. When I was at Verizon there were 3 other customers turning in their N7 and getting the Note 5. There still is use for it.
Samsung will return stronger and with a great device

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

I looked around and decided to stick with my old POS phone until the note 8 arrives. Yes it sucks but I dont want to be stuck with phone payments when the latest and greatest comes out.

everything that is coming out now is a downgrade and that is a shame. I am surprised no one tried to tap into the note market yet with a similar offering... time will tell

Lol THIS right here. As I type this on my NON EXPLODING N7. I'm literally removing the logic board from my Note Edge to replace it. Sprint doesn't even offer the Note 5 anymore. So it's either my Note Edge or my HTC Evo Shift.....

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: So what are the big differences with the iPhone 7?

I like my phone to be my phone. Cannot with Apple. I just prefer Android
It's personal choice. Choose carefully.
This will be your upgrade

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

I still have my OG Droid Turbo that'll I use until the S8 Edge I guess...hope it has the same form factor as the N7.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Those switching to S7 Edge, waiting for N8 or buying s8 edge?

Until the s8 Edge comes out, the S7 Edge is probably one of the best android founds out there right now. I do see that a lot of stores are running out of the S7 Edge due to all the Note 7 exchanges now. Best Buy around me still has no S7 edge cases in stock.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I have a Note 7 that I'll have to return (like the rest of you Note 7 users), and I'm having a dilemma deciding what to do after that. Everything else that is out now feels/looks like a downgrade. Aside from the old Note 5 (or even older Notes) nothing has stylus. The Note 7 was the only thing with dual ambient light sensors (it was the only thing I was always happy with brightness wise with ambient light sensors/auto brightness enabled), only thing with GG5, and one of the few things with USB 3.1.

I still have my previous phone (an HTC One m8) that I never traded in, so I could either stick with that and keep an eye open for what is coming out. (Ex: Huawei Mate 9, Lenovo Phab2 Pro, LG v20, Pixel XL, Predator 6, etc). Given that I've conceded that I'm going to have to give up the stylus if I want anything modern and decent I at least don't want to give up on a decent screen to body ratio (Note has an 80.94% screen to body ratio and 518 ppi).

Here is what I see as drawbacks to what's currently out there, what is scheduled to be out soon, and some of the rumored devices:

Note 5 - old, no external sd card slot, small battery, short battery life, weaker hardware, software will not be updated. What little support is still provided for this phone will not be around much longer. - I'm not really even considering this an option at this point.

S7 Edge - Probably the closest we can get to a Note7, but its smaller, sharper edged, older (technology wise and software wise). Old microUSB technology (slower charging). Only supports up to 200 gb sd card (good bye 56gb the phone will never see) (76.09% screen to body ratio). (I've got a 2016 Gear VR, and Samsung wireless charger, both of which I should be able to send to Verizon/Samsung and get reimbursed for unless I decide to settle for a S7 edge).

HTC 10 - Looks almost exactly like my HTC One m8. I feel like if I were to go with it I'd be paying for somethings that is almost the same as what I already have. They've also made the speakers worse than the m8s. (They only have a single mono speaker on the HTC 10).

V20 - 70.24% screen to body ratio, 513 ppi, USB 2.0

Pixel XL - 71.22% screen to body ratio, Ugly looking back (seen the back? who's idea was it to make the top part a shiny glass - like the the Note7 for the camera and above, but make the rest of the back - more than half an ugly non-matching color?), no external SD card slot (they say you get unlimited backup of pictures and video to the cloud, but the key words there are backup and cloud. What if you're in an area where you can't access wi-fi or a mobile network, and streaming video over the mobile network is going to suck up your allotted data).

Phab 2 Pro - Only available in gold or grey. Looks like it has physical buttons (triangle, circle, and square) at the bottom as opposed to lights that shut off and hide. 70.83% screen to body ratio.LCD screen.MicroSD limited to 128gb.
https://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/v20

Mate 9 - Seems like the most promising, but everything about it is pretty much still rumors. The Long Island version looks very much like the Note 7, but word is that version will only be available in China. Manhattan specs are currently unknown. Unknown what carriers in the US would have the phone(s). Rumor is it may not have sdcard slot, and may only have 498ppi, and it may be usb 2.0.
Huawei Mate 9 may have curved screen model with Daydream support | Android Central

ZenPhone 3 Deluxe - Probably has the highest screen to body ratio next to the Note 7 with 79% screen-to-body, but may have other things that negate it. Colors limited to silver, grey, and gold. MicroSD only supports up to 128gb. 3000 mAh battery. ZenUI, and may never get software updates. (Doesn't look like this phone is offered on my carrier - Verizon - anyway, so makes this a moot option).
ZenFone 3 Deluxe (ZS570KL) | Phones | ASUS USA

What do you think? Should I go back to using my HTC One m8, and see what comes out, or settle for something that is out now?
Do you really think it really doesn't count the other 56? Only asking because I put it in my note 4 and it read the whole 256.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site

Anyone know how good the Note Edge is? I think its still available on T-Mobile website? I don't think there isn't any support for it anymore. If it's cheaper I could go that route if not I'll go back to the S7E again.

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site

I did get the Note 5 because I love the stylus and the Note series. It is still a great phone. Battery has lasted me all day. I will use the cloud and deal with it. It's a personal choice I didn't like the edge when I used for 12 days waiting on the replacement N7.
Funny.. When I was at Verizon there were 3 other customers turning in their N7 and getting the Note 5. There still is use for it.
Samsung will return stronger and with a great device
Awesome!! I also did the same thing I went back to the Note5, I need the stylus! This is still a great phone!
37f6bf386e94ab2ee7e8d77d41ea95bc.jpg

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Those switching to S7 Edge, waiting for N8 or buying s8 edge?

Do you think the s8 will be inferior to the s8 edge the same way the S7 is inferior to the S7 edge?

Zaku77

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

People shouldn't take the chance with the ZTE. There is always a chance that when you get the phone and try going to your carrier they might not help you out with getting it on the network... Sprint and Verizon especially...
As long as you already have an activated Sim, then you don't need their help.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site

There is a single phone that makes sense to move to and that is the Pixel XL. I agree with your thoughts on asthetics, but nexus phones have always been smooth as butter and an absolute pleasure to use while pushing the envelope o software and sota features. I guarantee the Pixel delivers on user experience, and this is something that has not been written about much. All the little things that are simply "nice" in day to day use are still yet to be discovered. It will be an incredible device.

It doesn't match the Note on paper, but I believe it will break away from everything else available once it launches.

Slade8525

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Funny because I have excellent vision and I can't see the pixels on the iPhone without a magnifying glass. Actually there were recent tests that showed the iPhone screen retina was better of not showing the pixels like the note 7 did.

i guarantee my vision surpasses yours. ive taken every test and exam multiple times for years. from a foot or less, i can see the pixels on iphone. samsung screens are pentile matrix, iphone lcd is rgb.

my best friend is an eye surgeon (forget his title but he wears glasses for everything) and claims i have better visual acuity than anyone else hes ever seen. my comment was maily that lcd is ourdated tech, and pixel density between rgb and pentile is not accurate to directly compare, but the facts remains i can see iphone pixels more easily at further distance than note 5/7 s5/6/7. galaxy s3 at 720 is awful, s4 at 1080 is better, 1440 if its almost a foot away i cant see them. iphone at a foot i can see pixel gaps. i also have a mild red/green visual weakness where next to eachother they seem to 'hover' which exacerbates it and highlights the issue.

ipad air at 2 feet i can discern pixel gaps crazy easy; also a 'retina' display. to the rest of you its not an issue, to me its disappointing. i use 2k 1440p 27" monitors for work. still can see every pixel.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

It all depends on your priorities with a phone - camera, expandable storage, internal storage capacity, screen, battery life, etc.
Everyone has different needs and uses. No one can make that decision for you.
Personally, I went with the S7E, mainly because of the camera, screen quality and expandable storage. I can't go backwards with the Note5 with the 32 gb, non expandable storage and lesser quality camera.
Make a list of priorities and check off your most important needs. You will not get everything you want, which is why everything feels like a downgrade from the Note7.
Why is usb 3.1 important to you?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon