Here are the Major Note 7 Alternatives (sorry, none of them are exactly like the Note 7)

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: What to use after returning the Note 7?

As long as you already have an activated Sim, then you don't need their help.

My understanding is that when going to return the Note 7 they want the Sim card. They wanted it the last time when returning the first Note 7.

kayjbee

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site

I have a Note 7 that I'll have to return (like the rest of you Note 7 users), and I'm having a dilemma deciding what to do after that. Everything else that is out now feels/looks like a downgrade. Aside from the old Note 5 (or even older Notes) nothing has stylus. The Note 7 was the only thing with dual ambient light sensors (it was the only thing I was always happy with brightness wise with ambient light sensors/auto brightness enabled), only thing with GG5, and one of the few things with USB 3.1.

I still have my previous phone (an HTC One m8) that I never traded in, so I could either stick with that and keep an eye open for what is coming out. (Ex: Huawei Mate 9, Lenovo Phab2 Pro, LG v20, Pixel XL, Predator 6, etc). Given that I've conceded that I'm going to have to give up the stylus if I want anything modern and decent I at least don't want to give up on a decent screen to body ratio (Note has an 80.94% screen to body ratio and 518 ppi).

Here is what I see as drawbacks to what's currently out there, what is scheduled to be out soon, and some of the rumored devices:

Note 5 - old, no external sd card slot, small battery, short battery life, weaker hardware, software will not be updated. What little support is still provided for this phone will not be around much longer. - I'm not really even considering this an option at this point.

S7 Edge - Probably the closest we can get to a Note7, but its smaller, sharper edged, older (technology wise and software wise). Old microUSB technology (slower charging). Only supports up to 200 gb sd card (good bye 56gb the phone will never see) (76.09% screen to body ratio). (I've got a 2016 Gear VR, and Samsung wireless charger, both of which I should be able to send to Verizon/Samsung and get reimbursed for unless I decide to settle for a S7 edge).

HTC 10 - Looks almost exactly like my HTC One m8. I feel like if I were to go with it I'd be paying for somethings that is almost the same as what I already have. They've also made the speakers worse than the m8s. (They only have a single mono speaker on the HTC 10).

V20 - 70.24% screen to body ratio, 513 ppi, USB 2.0

Pixel XL - 71.22% screen to body ratio, Ugly looking back (seen the back? who's idea was it to make the top part a shiny glass - like the the Note7 for the camera and above, but make the rest of the back - more than half an ugly non-matching color?), no external SD card slot (they say you get unlimited backup of pictures and video to the cloud, but the key words there are backup and cloud. What if you're in an area where you can't access wi-fi or a mobile network, and streaming video over the mobile network is going to suck up your allotted data).

Phab 2 Pro - Only available in gold or grey. Looks like it has physical buttons (triangle, circle, and square) at the bottom as opposed to lights that shut off and hide. 70.83% screen to body ratio.LCD screen.MicroSD limited to 128gb.
https://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/v20

Mate 9 - Seems like the most promising, but everything about it is pretty much still rumors. The Long Island version looks very much like the Note 7, but word is that version will only be available in China. Manhattan specs are currently unknown. Unknown what carriers in the US would have the phone(s). Rumor is it may not have sdcard slot, and may only have 498ppi, and it may be usb 2.0.
Huawei Mate 9 may have curved screen model with Daydream support | Android Central

ZenPhone 3 Deluxe - Probably has the highest screen to body ratio next to the Note 7 with 79% screen-to-body, but may have other things that negate it. Colors limited to silver, grey, and gold. MicroSD only supports up to 128gb. 3000 mAh battery. ZenUI, and may never get software updates. (Doesn't look like this phone is offered on my carrier - Verizon - anyway, so makes this a moot option).
ZenFone 3 Deluxe (ZS570KL) | Phones | ASUS USA

What do you think? Should I go back to using my HTC One m8, and see what comes out, or settle for something that is out now?
I'm pretty sure the s7 edged takes the 256gb SD card. I just got the s7 edge and inserted the 256gb card and no issues.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Those switching to S7 Edge, waiting for N8 or buying s8 edge?

Do you think the s8 will be inferior to the s8 edge the same way the S7 is inferior to the S7 edge?

Not sure. back in March I made the mistake of buying the S7 instead of the S7 Edge thinking I'd like going to a smaller screen after having note 5. Nope, needed a bigger screen. I wish I would have bought the Edge because I probably wouldn't have bought the Note 7 then.

I will probably hold off until the Note 8 but if I get the S8 it will be the Edge. Won't make the mistake again.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

My understanding is that when going to return the Note 7 they want the Sim card. They wanted it the last time when returning the first Note 7.
I thought they were sending everyone boxes to return the N7 or is that only a Verizon thing?

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site

I thought they were sending everyone boxes to return the N7 or is that only a Verizon thing?

I can return it to the Sprint store but they would want the sim card. Plus I just looked into the ZTE it doesn't work with Sprint yet...

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I think I am Leaning towards the Pixel XL 128GB! I will use it with this Stylus for Electronic Signatures. I will try out the Stylus before I commit!
15472a6175266c72fa8e04785ec6acdd.jpg

I was hoping the the LG-V20 would be out before The the end of the month. A Verizon Rep told me it could be out by Thanksgiving!

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

I have both the note 5 and the S7 edge. You are correct that the edge is the closet you'll get to the note 7 spec wise. It is a tad bit smaller but not by that much. I am using the free 256sd card I got and it works fine. Both phones are good. The only reason I didn't stick with my note five was because I wanted to utilize my SD card and even though my note 5 was 64gb I somehow ran out of space.

Last edited:

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Note 4 or 5?

I'm really thinking turning mine in really soon. I used to have the Note 4 before I got the S7E. I seen on eBay they have them as low as the mid $200's. What is the latest software the N4 has? Will they ever update to the Grace UI since the 7 is no more? Also should I go back to the 4 or try the 5? But I'll miss the AOD no matter which one I get. Will the S-pen fit into the N4? Decisions decisions?? Which phone has the better battery life? My Note 4 was lossing battery life before I sold it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Note 4 or 5?

I had the 4 before the N7. I have actually had all the Notes. My battery life was getting bad on the Note 4 ad we'll. I replaced the battery. I traded it in when I got the Note7
Monday I surrendered my beautiful blue coral Note7. I loved that phone. Was the best. . But Samsung will overcome this.
I got the Note 5 and I am pleased with it so far. I use the stylus so no other phone was going to suit me. I had the edge for 12 days waiting g on the Note7 replacement. Hated that phone.
Note 5 o lyrics drawback to me is no SD card but will use the cloud. No 64 gig in store and actually Verizon is out of it. I can order it but I am done setting up phones for awhile.
This phone will get me thru while I am waiting. . I am liking it and I recommend it

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

The Note 4 is not updated even to Marshmallow, let alone the newest UI (and it never will). Might be wrong about Marshmallow, though, but if it is, that's the last update it'll see. The Note 5 will see Nougat, but that's way down the line.

No AOD on the 4, yes on the 5. And nope, no S-Pen from different models will fit in any other Note. For me, both had decent battery life, but the 5 took the crown by mere minutes. The Note 4, however, has older cells, so chances are they won't last as long. But you get removable battery and SD card with the 4, something you don't have on the 5. But you get wireless charging and newer software (and at least a year's worth of updates in the future) on the 5. No waterproofing on either, so that you'd miss from the 7. Also better camera and manual mode on the 5.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site

I have a Note 7 that I'll have to return (like the rest of you Note 7 users), and I'm having a dilemma deciding what to do after that. Everything else that is out now feels/looks like a downgrade. Aside from the old Note 5 (or even older Notes) nothing has stylus. The Note 7 was the only thing with dual ambient light sensors (it was the only thing I was always happy with brightness wise with ambient light sensors/auto brightness enabled), only thing with GG5, and one of the few things with USB 3.1.

I still have my previous phone (an HTC One m8) that I never traded in, so I could either stick with that and keep an eye open for what is coming out. (Ex: Huawei Mate 9, Lenovo Phab2 Pro, LG v20, Pixel XL, Predator 6, etc). Given that I've conceded that I'm going to have to give up the stylus if I want anything modern and decent I at least don't want to give up on a decent screen to body ratio (Note has an 80.94% screen to body ratio and 518 ppi).

Here is what I see as drawbacks to what's currently out there, what is scheduled to be out soon, and some of the rumored devices:

Note 5 - old, no external sd card slot, small battery, short battery life, weaker hardware, software will not be updated. What little support is still provided for this phone will not be around much longer. - I'm not really even considering this an option at this point.

S7 Edge - Probably the closest we can get to a Note7, but its smaller, sharper edged, older (technology wise and software wise). Old microUSB technology (slower charging). Only supports up to 200 gb sd card (good bye 56gb the phone will never see) (76.09% screen to body ratio). (I've got a 2016 Gear VR, and Samsung wireless charger, both of which I should be able to send to Verizon/Samsung and get reimbursed for unless I decide to settle for a S7 edge).

HTC 10 - Looks almost exactly like my HTC One m8. I feel like if I were to go with it I'd be paying for somethings that is almost the same as what I already have. They've also made the speakers worse than the m8s. (They only have a single mono speaker on the HTC 10).

V20 - 70.24% screen to body ratio, 513 ppi, USB 2.0

Pixel XL - 71.22% screen to body ratio, Ugly looking back (seen the back? who's idea was it to make the top part a shiny glass - like the the Note7 for the camera and above, but make the rest of the back - more than half an ugly non-matching color?), no external SD card slot (they say you get unlimited backup of pictures and video to the cloud, but the key words there are backup and cloud. What if you're in an area where you can't access wi-fi or a mobile network, and streaming video over the mobile network is going to suck up your allotted data).

Phab 2 Pro - Only available in gold or grey. Looks like it has physical buttons (triangle, circle, and square) at the bottom as opposed to lights that shut off and hide. 70.83% screen to body ratio.LCD screen.MicroSD limited to 128gb.
https://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/v20

Mate 9 - Seems like the most promising, but everything about it is pretty much still rumors. The Long Island version looks very much like the Note 7, but word is that version will only be available in China. Manhattan specs are currently unknown. Unknown what carriers in the US would have the phone(s). Rumor is it may not have sdcard slot, and may only have 498ppi, and it may be usb 2.0.
Huawei Mate 9 may have curved screen model with Daydream support | Android Central

ZenPhone 3 Deluxe - Probably has the highest screen to body ratio next to the Note 7 with 79% screen-to-body, but may have other things that negate it. Colors limited to silver, grey, and gold. MicroSD only supports up to 128gb. 3000 mAh battery. ZenUI, and may never get software updates. (Doesn't look like this phone is offered on my carrier - Verizon - anyway, so makes this a moot option).
ZenFone 3 Deluxe (ZS570KL) | Phones | ASUS USA

What do you think? Should I go back to using my HTC One m8, and see what comes out, or settle for something that is out now?

Showing 238Gb on my S7 edge

Attachments

• 843.jpg
    843.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 77

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Those switching to S7 Edge, waiting for N8 or buying s8 edge?

I'm just curious with you all that are switching to the S7 edge, will you buy the s8 Edge or whatever they call the larger screen, or will you hold onto the S7 Edge and buy a Note 8 later next year?

I always upgrade to the S series then the Note series. I Like having a new device every six months.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: So what are the big differences with the iPhone 7?

I like my phone to be my phone. Cannot with Apple. I just prefer Android
It's personal choice. Choose carefully.
This will be your upgrade

Exactly. With an iPhone it's not your phone it's Tim crooks phone..

IslandGuy

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

Went from the Note 4 to the Note 7. Turned the 7 in today and went with the Note 5. Despite no expandable storage I highly recommend it as the best alternative. Will have to make some adjustments to my media saving habits by using more cloud storage. Nothing can replace the Note 7 but so far the 5 is almost as good so the transition is seamless.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site

If I do decide to get the note 5 from eBay and if its unlocked what carriers do I need to look for that will work on T-Mobile as well? I know ATT for sure what about Metro PCS?

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

I owned all 3 and still have the Note 5. I returned the Note 7 because I also have the S7E. I wanted to replace my S7E with the Note 7 as my daily driver but found it was too heavy for me to use long term. Also when I compared it to my Note 5, I didn't feel it was a huge upgrade from it. That could also be because I already have the S7E.
Anyways, to answer your question, I would pick the Note 5 over the Note 4. I love my Note 5. It's still a very fast phone. S pen is much improved on the Note 5. Call quality & RF is better. I had some call quality & RF issues on my Note 4. My brother has my Note 4 but he upgraded to the Note. 7. Instead of going back to the Note 4 he ended up buying the Axon 7. Ever since he updated his Note 4 to Marshmallow it went downhill from there.
The advantages of getting a Note 4 are : removable battery, expandable memory card slot, IR blaster and the price is cheaper.

The advantages of getting a Note 5 are : big improvements over the Note 4, including S pen, RF and call quality, will get Nougat, smoother phone overall,.. there are more reasons that others have said.

Slade8525

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
You legally can't take the phone on a plane now. If you do...well let's just say you might not make it to your destination as you could be held for questioning for a very long time.

no one will EVER check anyways, it would have to go off to get caught. spirit and southwest airlines made NO MENTION AT ALL on a recent trip to and from vegas, and no one looked twice at us using our naked note 7's with s-pen out the whole trip out and back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yadde