Here are the Major Note 7 Alternatives (sorry, none of them are exactly like the Note 7)

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I just picked up a new Note 5. It's really quite a capable device and still considered one of the best phones in the phablet category. Feels much better in the hand than my IP6+ and just as fluid as the Galaxy S7.
Did the 5 really get a completely undeserved bad rap just because of no expandable storage? Shame.

I can only comment on my own reasons for passing on the N5 when it came out, The deal breaker was no sd and I really liked my Note Edge. funny how now I find the N5 a more attractive option than my Note Edge... :) (It may be that the N5 seems more like the N7)

Cheers,
BR
RIP N7

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I returned my note 7 for the s7 edge. There is no way that I would go back to the note 5 after owing the note 7, that would be such a downgrade!. I enjoyed my note 5 but that is like comparing apples to oranges!.. I remember one issue with the note 5, one day I plugged my phone into a wall jack and I thought the note 5 was gonna blow up! that phone got blazing HOT!... I have never experienced anything like that... I unplugged that phone and wrapped it in a towel and put it in the refrigerator, ice chamber... cooled it down.

Allnicksgone

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure they are all fine phones, but....

a2552003e64df86fc84381ac8a964a87.jpg

wkemp21

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
One thing Samsung could do is re-release the Dark Knight S7 Edge or more special colors, but the Dark Knight phone with the accessories would be nice

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I was able to pick a new s6 edge plus for $400 ...this sounds like a much better alternative to shelling out full price for an s7 edge ...am I missing something here? is there something deficient about the s6? ...from what I see its nearly identical sans the waterproofing, sd card, and processor.

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: So what are the big differences with the iPhone 7?

How is it better when all the tests show otherwise? The iPhone is the better display period. Also you are dead wrong. The analog jack is analog. It will never have the best audio compared to DIGITAL. That is why people are going to digital now. If Analog was so good, why doesn't high end stereos use it instead of their Fiber Optic connections? LOL. Better search as Fast Charging IS what got the Note 7 in trouble. More adoption rate on Apple pay over Samsung Pay. Seems to me it's Apple Pay is the better one.

Display - The iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus Review: Iterating on a Flagship

That is false about the Apple Pay. Both my parents have it and it doesn't work period. My Samsung Pay works in every store I go into. Do some more research because Apple Pay and Android Pay use the same technology... And Samsung Pay is totally different. And as for the fast charging? It wasn't that it was something else that caused the fires and smoking on the Note 7. It was a design flaw.

mmsean

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
How is it better when all the tests show otherwise? The iPhone is the better display period. Also you are dead wrong. The analog jack is analog. It will never have the best audio compared to DIGITAL. That is why people are going to digital now. If Analog was so good, why doesn't high end stereos use it instead of their Fiber Optic connections? LOL. Better search as Fast Charging IS what got the Note 7 in trouble. More adoption rate on Apple pay over Samsung Pay. Seems to me it's Apple Pay is the better one.

Display - The iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus Review: Iterating on a Flagship
Analog is better than digital. Bluetooth is terrible compared to high quality .mp3 and even more so CD

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
That is false about the Apple Pay. Both my parents have it and it doesn't work period. My Samsung Pay works in every store I go into. Do some more research because Apple Pay and Android Pay use the same technology... And Samsung Pay is totally different. And as for the fast charging? It wasn't that it was something else that caused the fires and smoking on the Note 7. It was a design flaw.

Funny, because everyone I know uses it and doesn't have an issue. Some companies aren't supporting it yet on their machines, so it won't work. But there are more banks that have adopted to using Apple pay over Samsung Pay. Again, educate yourself. Apple, Android, Samsung: Who is winning the mobile pay app race? | Ars Technica

and

What caused the great Galaxy Note 7 defect and recall?

Analog is better than digital. Bluetooth is terrible compared to high quality .mp3 and even more so CD

Wrong. You need to educate yourself.

3.5mm audio vs USB Type-C: the good, bad and the future

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I want one!

I changed "RF blaster" to "IR blaster". Seriously, the Note 4 with Marshmallow 6.01 and a stock reset is like a new device. I prefer the Note 4 display since looks good and is flat, plus the better signal reception and replaceable battery make it a good choice, IMO.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Funny, because everyone I know uses it and doesn't have an issue. Some companies aren't supporting it yet on their machines, so it won't work. But there are more banks that have adopted to using Apple pay over Samsung Pay. Again, educate yourself. Apple, Android, Samsung: Who is winning the mobile pay app race? | Ars Technica

and

My comprehensive contract reading skills have kicked in here. Not sure how you derived an objective conclusion of "wrong". Inherently from audio signal origination, analog is more natural and there are caveats to what the article states- as the actual article points out.

How would analog not be better for sound quality, unless "better" is something other than the natural original sound? Seems this is very subjective, so nowhere near objective.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
My comprehensive contract reading skills have kicked in here. Not sure how you derived an objective conclusion of "wrong". Inherently from audio signal origination, analog is more natural and there are caveats to what the article states- as the actual article points out.

How would analog not be better for sound quality, unless "better" is something other than the natural original sound? Seems this is very subjective, so nowhere near objective.

Prove otherwise. I posted the facts. I can post a lot more links that support digital over Analog as well if you would like? Also, what is nice about using the usb-c or ligthning port, instead of an analog connector, it leaves it up to the headphone manufactures to make a very quality headset with an awesome DAC in them. So no more limited to the phone DAC.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Prove otherwise. I posted the facts. I can post a lot more links that support digital over Analog as well if you would like? Also, what is nice about using the usb-c or ligthning port, instead of an analog connector, it leaves it up to the headphone manufactures to make a very quality headset with an awesome DAC in them. So no more limited to the phone DAC.

You are missing the key point. What does "better" mean? An audio wave is analog in nature, so any intrusions to that are artificial. If you are referring to convenience and portable efficiency- of course digital is "better" in that regard.

BTW, my Note 4 is like having someone you left come back in your life and appreciate them more. Note 4 has some attributes that for me are better than the Note 7: Flat amoled display, more drop resistance, better signal reception and a removable battery. Marshmallow 6.01 truly makes a huge difference as well for the Note 4 now.

Added: Just realized the last paragraph is reiterating a post of mine further above. That is how surprised I am with the Note 4 after using the Note 7 since launch- unexpected in a good way. Especially after losing the Note 7- twice.

Last edited:

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site

and

Then it depends on where you live. The East Coast is the last to get the NFC technology. All the stores my parents tried and it's a long list don't accept Apple Pay or Android Pay. Target, Wal Mart, Stop and Shop, Shoprite, Barnes and Noble, Costco, Best Buy, and there's more... There was only one store chain that has it as of right now and that's Big Lots. I see a lot of people using Samsung Pay. I know I work at my local Stop and Shop. I see a ton of people using it. And when people ask about Apple Pay I always have to explain to the customer that we don't have it yet. I seen the same thing in the other stores as well. And everyone questions me why I'm able to use Samsung Pay and they can't use Apple Pay or Android Pay.

As for the Note 7? Samsung already came out and stated that they couldn't replicate the issue. They tried using batteries from different factories. So if it's not the battery then it has to do with how much they crammed into the phone. I don't need to do more research when I read a lot of articles, watched a ton of youtube videos and read replies on this forum...

Voxelflinger

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I was mistaken on the headphone jack. I had remembered wrong there.

The form factor is not even close to almost identical. Not even remotely close. The Note 7 is perfect in the hand. The S7 Edge digs into your hand while holding it, because of the more defined edge. I really don't care about the processor or ram being the same. All the phones these days are comparable in terms of those.

What i'm tired of, is people who demand they're the same phone without the S pen. They aren't. They are designed for entirely different groups of people. I'm sick of everyone telling us Note 7 users to just get the S7 edge as if we're not aware of the differences. Most of us used an S7 edge as a loaner while we waited for the replacement Note 7's. And it was a disappointing experience. The last thing we need as we're trying to navigate through all this nonsense, is the same 5 people insisting the S7 edge is the same.

You are correct. it is not the same as a Note 7 or any other Note. The ability to take notes from the always on screen was a blessing. On the Note 4 I would have to unlock and take extra steps in an Enterprise environment. The Note 7 was so much better. Using the S-Pen is the reason I selected the Samsung Note 1 as my first Android phone. The SD card was the second reason to move to Android. Samsung made me hang on to the Note 4 longer when they killed the Note 5's SD card. I take a lot of photos at work for reference. Combined with the S-Pen makes the Note series a great work phone. So I did miss the IR blaster on the Note 7 a little. It came in handy in conference rooms. Like the rest of you I am having withdrawal symptoms because of the lack of the S-Pen, the smoother UI, and over all Note 7 operating experience. There is no upgrade to a different phone. There is no alternative to the Note 7. This is a about the user experience. If you do not use the S-Pen you will not understand. If you do not need the SD card you will not understand. Even the missing the IR blaster get it. I do hope the 8 series has a Note version even if is not called a Note. I will stay with Samsung because I am use to their environment. I will not go back to Apple and I am not happy with a phone and no Pen. Now i have to carry a real pen and note pad around work and the really sucks. Plus with technology today I should not have to do that. And no, a voice to text feature will not work in a patient environment or in a group setting to take notes. Today should be my last few hours with a working Note 7 before I give it up. My opinion, several other sites and the media have done a lot to destroy the Note 7. I would have been fine with a thicker phone with the same features. I would be fine waiting for the problem to be solved. However I understand the risk to others in the event the phone has an actual problem not caused a user. I have not heard of users in any android site or forum having a smoking phone. It is always a person who wants to speak with their attorney first and hang on to the phone. I apologize for the long post. I do not think any Note 7 user is ok with going to something other than a Note.

Laura Crusader

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I hate Verizon. After talking to customer service the other day, she claimed we were able to return the 7 Verizon & we'll be able to get the refund up front. I went to Verizon today & they tell me some other crap. "You gotta contact Samsung & get the box etc" I said "so you're telling me I just wasted my time coming here?" Oh my god lol. They want the phone that bad , texts etc but don't wanna take it. The stupid hurts my soul.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek