Here are the Major Note 7 Alternatives (sorry, none of them are exactly like the Note 7)

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Note 7 = S7e + Note 5...sorta. So, if you have a Note 5 and an S7e....

Also, help me here on Apple pay and Samsung pay. Until my phone can replace my ID (driver's license), I still have to carry my wallet, likely. In my wallet I have my credit cards too. Why is it easier to use my phone to pay for something than my credit/debit card that I'm gonna have with me in my wallet anyways? ...or is the goal to leave my wallet and purse home (for some reason) and only carry my driver's license and phone? ...but then I'd not have insurance cards, health cards, etc.

So, that said I'm not getting the attraction of Apple/Samsung/Android pay too much.

I know different people are different though. Baby steps I guess.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Again, the quality of sound is better with digital over analog period. Why the Lightning port beats Bluetooth for sound quality | TechRadar

Your recalcitrant position is not supported by acoustics, but believe what you want. I will take my experience with the actual process and my science undergrad over subjectivity. I used to build the stuff for labs. Nothing touches vacuum tubes amps for purity of sound over digital, but good vacuum tubes are expensive. Not possible for accuracy of sound with digital and simple physics. A vinyl LP pummels digital, but not in any stretch practical for portability. For the slightly lesser quality that barely is distinguishable, digital wins overall.

Heck, I prefer CD over LP's even with an expensive set-up. I can't stand the cracks and pops the needle registers- regardless of how subtle.

Bluetooth is not analog, BTW.

Kuttermax

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
I was going in circles trying to decide on a replacement device for my N7 with the options of the S7E, V20, or Pixel XL. All three have great qualities and all have some limitations. The announcement of the airline ban forced my hand as I travel a lot and note being able to bring a phone is not an option for me.

I did have a Note 5 previously but traded it at the time of my N7 purchase. I liked the Note 5 a lot but did find the 64GB storage a limitation.

The V20 intrigued me with the high quality DACs. I travel with some planar magnetic Oppo PM-3 and likely the V20 is going to pair nicely with those and not need any sort of external DAC or amp to get outstanding sound. The IPS display had me a little worried as I've loved the Samsung Super Amoled and the possible battery life issues (even though the battery is replaceable) also concerned me. I often go for long mountain bike rides and don't really want to drag another battery along. However the lack of a release date on Verizon is what killed this one for me.

Ultimately I went with a 128 GB Pixel Xl. I liked that it has latest Android OS, has an OLED display, and promises good battery life. Having the latest Snapdragon 821 is also nice. I am going to miss the wireless charging a lot, as I set up a bunch of wireless charging stations at home and at work for my Note. The lack of waterproofing is also disappointing as this was a great upgrade on the N7 over the N5. I figure I get a USB dual drive to be able to play video files off of while traveling if I'm not carrying my tablet with me.

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
So, that said I'm not getting the attraction of Apple/Samsung/Android pay too much.

1. Paying for things with your phone or your wristwatch is cool.
2. Samsung Pay is more secure than using your regular credit card, in that it doesn't leave your credit card info hanging around in the retailer's systems to be stolen in the next credit card data breach. This alone is worth it for me.
3. I like the instant notification whenever a charge goes through.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
1. Paying for things with your phone or your wristwatch is cool.
2. Samsung Pay is more secure than using your regular credit card, in that it doesn't leave your credit card info hanging around in the retailer's systems to be stolen in the next credit card data breach. This alone is worth it for me.
3. I like the instant notification whenever a charge goes through.
Aaaaah, thanks for that, especially the bit about security. I know I'd read that about Samsung Pay and apple pay but it'd slipped my aging (45+) mind. I'll give it a shot and see if it can work for mwa.

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I hate Verizon. After talking to customer service the other day, she claimed we were able to return the 7 Verizon & we'll be able to get the refund up front. I went to Verizon today & they tell me some other crap. "You gotta contact Samsung & get the box etc" I said "so you're telling me I just wasted my time coming here?" Oh my god lol. They want the phone that bad , texts etc but don't wanna take it. The stupid hurts my soul.
You'll be refunded everything, but might take 1-2 billing cycles. And if you upgrade your phone, it'll walk got through the steps to get the box.

Laura Crusader

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
You'll be refunded everything, but might take 1-2 billing cycles. And if you upgrade your phone, it'll walk got through the steps to get the box.
Definitely won't be upgrading. Like few, i dont wanna pay for something i dont want so im taking the L. I already had a upgrade open (as far as 3 yrs) b4 all the drama happened. Will be contacting Samsung in the morning. Thanks J.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I know it's not the topic of this forum but I had to rant to my AC family. I could jump off a bridge.
Hey, I feel yah. I have had Verizon customer service yell at me and point fingers at me before. They are some of the worst out there, cutting me off mid sentence. Don't feel bad, it happens to everyone.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The frustration level is high for any retailer dealing with the Note 7. Samsung has burned and in some cases (enterprise customers) blown up bridges. Please keep in mind the onus is on Samsung to disposition. Normally I like piling on Verizon and other carriers, but this is a rare case of refrain.

Voxelflinger

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I had the Note 4. it was a very good phone but the Note 7 was much smoother. No wifi issues and no problems with the apps. I missed the IR blaster for about 7 min. The updated S-Pen more than made up for the IR. The Note 7 edge and Google Tap was also better than the s7 Edge. I went for the s7 Edge and got my S-Notes back. Not as unhappy as before but I do miss the Note 7 more than the Note 4.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I had the Note 4. it was a very good phone but the Note 7 was much smoother. No wifi issues and no problems with the apps. I missed the IR blaster for about 7 min. The updated S-Pen more than made up for the IR. The Note 7 edge and Google Tap was also better than the s7 Edge. I went for the s7 Edge and got my S-Notes back. Not as unhappy as before but I do miss the Note 7 more than the Note 4.

Whats Google tap

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I am so torn on what to do, and I'm sure it's been said over and over again. I currently have a Nexus 6p, two Note7's (white battery and green battery versions), and the S7 Edge (what I'm currently typing on) in my bedroom. Samsung has never called or emailed me about returning the one I bought directly from them (I've called them four times), my second N7, I bought from Verizon since I never heard from Samsung, and had paid full retail for both anyway. Got the S7 Edge from Costco due to the return policy, and I'm just not a fan. It truly felt 6 months old right from the start. I don't know what it is about it, but the Note7 just felt so much more polished.

So ultimately, I'm stuck between keeping my old 6P (which I don't really like anymore due to lag and other issues), keeping the S7 Edge, or keeping my 128GB Pixel XL preorder active. All I know is that I just want my damn Note7 back!

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I am so torn on what to do, and I'm sure it's been said over and over again. I currently have a Nexus 6p, two Note7's (white battery and green battery versions), and the S7 Edge (what I'm currently typing on) in my bedroom. Samsung has never called or emailed me about returning the one I bought directly from them (I've called them four times), my second N7, I bought from Verizon since I never heard from Samsung, and had paid full retail for both anyway. Got the S7 Edge from Costco due to the return policy, and I'm just not a fan. It truly felt 6 months old right from the start. I don't know what it is about it, but the Note7 just felt so much more polished.

So ultimately, I'm stuck between keeping my old 6P (which I don't really like anymore due to lag and other issues), keeping the S7 Edge, or keeping my 128GB Pixel XL preorder active. All I know is that I just want my damn Note7 back!
Yeah!

I miss my note 7.
I was in the same delimina.
Found a note 5
Went and got it this past Saturday.
It's starting to really grow on me
It's got the flat screen too.
Now it's not my note 7.
But it's sure made me feel a heck of a lot better

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry if I am going off topic but as hard as it was to do, I just replaced my note 7 with the edge 7:-\ . I haven't opened the edge 7 box yet . It makes me feel like I am going to a wake. I ordered online this Sunday from BB so I can get that $100. I will probably use my note 7 till they call the repo man, LOL! I REALLY hate the fact that the power option goes back to micro usb with the edge 7. That may make me wait , pay the $35 restock, lose the $150 edge Gift Card, and the $100 from Samsung for returning N7 and getting another Sammy.

Last edited:

Flyn2high

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I am coming from a Note 4 with an S-view wireless charging case and purchased the Note 7 from Samsung.com. I still have the original Note 7 in a crockpot our in my garage waiting for my fireproof case to arrive to send it back. No one else will take it back and it looks like Samsung’s special boxes are fist going out to carriers before they send one to me.

I was researching what the best alternative phone to the note 7 would be and to me it is most definitely my 2 year old Note 4.
My Note 4 now has my free 256 gb memory module in it and working perfectly. I was having some issues with battery life but for $19.00 I purchased a new Samsung OEM battery and it runs all day again. The cheap ones are pulls from discarded phones. I also treated myself to a new Samsung S-view leather wireless charging case so it looks brand new again.

Here are the similarities and the differences between the two.

Similarities:
Same 1440 x 2560 pixels Super AMOLED 5.7" Display
S-Pen
Same marshmallow OS.
Both Support 256 gb memory modules
Both support Fingerprint, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, gesture, UV, heart rate, SpO2
Both have fast wired charging
Both have great cameras

Differences:
The Note 4 has a removable battery (big plus)
The Note 4 has a slightly larger frame but the note 7 S-View case sucks and needs a conventional case for protection making them the same physical size to me.
The Note 7 has the always on display feature (nice).
The Note 7 has the iris scan feature (did not use)
The Note 7 is slightly faster ( I cannot see any difference)
The Note 7 is waterproof (big plus but the note 4 is somewhat splash proof)
The Note 7 has 4 gb of ram vs 3 gb for the Note 4 (Again I do not see any difference in performance)
Corning Gorilla Glass 4 in the Note 4 and 5 in the Note 7 (one is better against scratching and the other is more crack resistant)
The Note 4 has 32 gb of memory while the Note 7 has 64 gb (with a 256 gb memory card this does not make much of a difference)

Any other phone I’ve looked at except for the Note7 would be a step backwards for me. My plan now is to wait for the Note 8 and use my Note 4 for now.

That is my view let me know what you think.

Flyn2high

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
Note 5 is your best alternative

The way I see it, the Note 5 is basically a Note 4 with out a replaceable battery and without memory expansion. You are stuck with 32 gb of memory for the Verizon version and once the battery starts loosing capacity over time you have to live with it. I have 288 gb of memory to use. My daughter has a Note 5 and she has to keep moving here photos off to make more space.

What benefit or feature do you like in the Note 5 over the Note 4?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000