10-13-2016 10:42 PM
56 123
tools
    This whole battery discussion is hard to swallow - with fast charging, how many of us would take a GN7 with a 3200 mah battery in order to keep that fantastic form factor and softwae experience - I'd bet it would be most of us here. Therefore, there has to be something else going wrong with this picture.
    msndrstood likes this.
    10-12-2016 12:06 PM
    ow many of us would take a GN7 with a 3200 mah battery in order to keep that fantastic form factor and softwae experience - I'd bet it would be most of us here.
    Actually I expect the exact opposite is true.

How many of us here would take a slightly THICKER GN7 with a 3800 or 4000 mah battery, because it's already too damn thin anyway, and because adding 1 more mm of thickness is 100% worth 500 mah. It would be worth it for me, I bet it would be worth it for many here, and I really bet it would be worth it for the average consumer who wants their phone to last longer and couldn't care less if it is 7.9 mm or 8.9 mm thick
    10-12-2016 12:34 PM
    I wouldn't care which they would do for the phone. Thicker phone or smaller battery. I would still get the phone. As long as it lasts a full day of charge. And only need to charge it once a day. I'll be fine with that.
    10-12-2016 12:52 PM
    Actually I expect the exact opposite is true.

How many of us here would take a slightly THICKER GN7 with a 3800 or 4000 mah battery, because it's already too damn thin anyway, and because adding 1 more mm of thickness is 100% worth 500 mah. It would be worth it for me, I bet it would be worth it for many here, and I really bet it would be worth it for the average consumer who wants their phone to last longer and couldn't care less if it is 7.9 mm or 8.9 mm thick
    Let it go. If the Note 7 had a bigger battery with even more battery life, or just makes losing the Note 7 all the more sad.
    10-12-2016 12:54 PM
    Let it go. If the Note 7 had a bigger battery with even more battery life, or just makes losing the Note 7 all the more sad.
    Mine was a reply man. I have let it go. I ordered a Pixel XL already. I replied to a post saying people would be ok with smaller batteries if it made the phone even slimmer.
    jimd1050 and pauldroidr2d2 like this.
    10-12-2016 01:25 PM
    10-12-2016 04:48 PM
    LOL. Where did you get that?
    My words. Sometimes it just comes to me.
    The photo came from an email some sent me.
    10-12-2016 05:13 PM
    If that was the case... maybe Samsung should have been "brave" and remove the headphone jack like Apple did... would have given more space for the battery (and maybe a better speaker area)
    Headphone jacks are ancient Tech, I have used Bluetooth Headphones for the past 3 years. I laugh at fools with their Dr. Dre Beats getting all tangled up in cable wire. No headphone jack is a no brainer.
    10-12-2016 05:46 PM
    While they may do this anyway, why would this be the first choice?

99% of the users would prefer the phone 1 mm thicker or wider or something. Way easier solution, and much more popular. That said, they appear to be headed in that stupid direction anyway (If Apple does it, well then, I guess Samsung must too :-/ ).
    Because headphone jacks are a waste of space. I have been sporting Bluetooth headphones (Bluedio) for the past 3 years and can't for the life of me understand people when I see them getting all caught up in dangling cable. People would rather have $200 Dr. Dre Beats with cable wire than my audiophile Bluedios at a fraction of the price just because. Well they themselves don't know why. Because they can't think for themselves. With their OWN mind.
    10-12-2016 05:54 PM
    No matter how hot cut out, Samsung screwed up. It will also cost them a lot of money as well as their reputation.
    10-12-2016 06:03 PM
    Because headphone jacks are a waste of space. I have been sporting Bluetooth headphones (Bluedio) for the past 3 years and can't for the life of me understand people when I see them getting all caught up in dangling cable. People would rather have $200 Dr. Dre Beats with cable wire than my audiophile Bluedios at a fraction of the price just because. Well they themselves don't know why. Because they can't think for themselves. With their OWN mind.
    OK. I guess if you don't need it, then Samsung should abandon it. OK then,
    jj2339 and 21stNow like this.
    10-12-2016 06:04 PM
    Mine was a reply man. I have let it go. I ordered a Pixel XL already. I replied to a post saying people would be ok with smaller batteries if it made the phone even slimmer.
    Me too.
    10-12-2016 06:06 PM
    OK. I guess if you don't need it, then Samsung should abandon it. OK then,
    If it helps free up space for battery venting thus reducing risk for exploding batteries, then, erm, you betcha they should!
    10-12-2016 06:08 PM
    Mod Note: Hey guys and gals, let's keep the discussion civil and on topic. There's no need to discuss each other. Thank you!
    10-12-2016 06:09 PM
    Hmm, a component (batteries) slightly too large to fit the chassis. Sounds like one measurement was in inches, the other in metric, ?
    I always have the big battery and small chasis problem myself.
    dsignori likes this.
    10-12-2016 06:20 PM
    This tweet seems to indicate that the battery could have well been the culprit.
    The casing of the battery was rounded as such that it caused the cells to crimp (pictures included). Also look at the replies with what I assume is a torn down Note 7 included.

https://twitter.com/arter97/status/786002483424272384
    10-13-2016 04:04 AM
    Maybe that's why LG batteries such. My g4 went thru 2 a day.
    10-13-2016 08:46 AM
    Just make these phones a tad thicker and you'll have the space for a larger battery and room for venting.

Regarding getting rid of the 3.5mm jack space... many of us have excellent audio equipment for the car and home that does not employ Bluetooth. We also have excellent headphones that are not bluetooth. Sure, we can go to a set up like Apple... but the problem is making these phones ultra thin and cramming in a larger battery and sealing the whole thing watertight.

People put cases on the phones anyway... make the phones 1mm to 2mm thicker!
    10-13-2016 10:57 AM
    An article on the NYTimes site mentions the rounded corner theory and rejects it. I found this quote interesting:
    “The Note 7 had more features and was more complex than any other phone manufactured. In a race to surpass iPhone, Samsung seems to have packed it with so much innovation it became uncontrollable.”
    Reminds me of the Tesla autopilot. Works great, until it kills you.
    10-13-2016 11:43 AM
    Just make these phones a tad thicker and you'll have the space for a larger battery and room for venting.

Regarding getting rid of the 3.5mm jack space... many of us have excellent audio equipment for the car and home that does not employ Bluetooth. We also have excellent headphones that are not bluetooth. Sure, we can go to a set up like Apple... but the problem is making these phones ultra thin and cramming in a larger battery and sealing the whole thing watertight.

People put cases on the phones anyway... make the phones 1mm to 2mm thicker!
    But when a li ion battery vents it often vents with flame so extra space won't help much.
    10-13-2016 02:54 PM
    Arm chair engineers and experts. I love the internet.

i hope i don't fall into the "armchair engineer" category, but i will say THIS:

when i FIRST saw the N7 in the store i was like, "really? THIS is just too small. So, I went with the A9, Samsung's 6 incher...

Had they put the internals of the Note 7 in this bad boy with its 4000 mAh battery, i will guarantee they would have flown off the shelves... And i shutter to think of the success they could have had if they had gone even a step further, with the A9 Pro 2016, that has a 5,000 mAh battery!

My A9 is running Marsh 6.1, 3GB of RAM, amoled 1920 x1080 res and even has fingerprint scanner. The A9 Pro has a better processor, 5,000 mAh battery and 4GB RAM...However, sadly, being an Int'l version, they are missing LTE & other US bands...

I cannot imagine the success these 2 phones would have here if they had S Pen capabilities, i just don't know WHY they had to stay with a 5.7 inch screen, same size they had for past 3 genertions of Notes, surely with the trend of almost all regular handsets being 5.5 inches, EVERYONE would've easily embraced a 6 inch Note but sadly, Sammy didn't consult me on this one : (

Galaxy Note 7′s unfortunate demise reportedly caused by new battery flaw...-a9-box.jpg

BTC
    10-13-2016 03:45 PM
    I love my Samsung Note 4 and was just about to get the Note 7 until this unfortunate recall took place. I really think Samsung is worth waiting for. I will hold on to my Note 4 which is still amazing and wait for Samsung's next offering (the Note 8?). They really have much better phones than the I phone and I have no doubt they will get the battery issue right with the next release. I'm not giving up on them.
    10-13-2016 04:42 PM
    3000 mAh battery and Samsung optimization SOT would probably be 3hours...
    10-13-2016 04:48 PM
    What did the CPSC do when they got involved? It appears they just went with the flow and bought into Samsung saying the next round was safe. Typical worthless government agency. I know we all wanted a speedy remedy, but I don't think that was the best course of action. Poor choice for Samsung as well, no way the batts were thoroughly tested in the short amount of time between the two batches. I figured that is why the CPSC exists...............
    to oversee and make sure no shortcuts are involved so the consumers are not at risk.

Both Samsung and
    CPSC failed miserably on the second round on the "safe note 7s".
    redsman55 and Bbarbie like this.
    10-13-2016 04:52 PM
    What did the CPSC do when they got involved? It appears they just went with the flow and bought into Samsung saying the next round was safe. Typical worthless government agency. I know we all wanted a speedy remedy, but I don't think that was the best course of action. Poor choice for Samsung as well, no way the batts were thoroughly tested in the short amount of time between the two batches. I figured that is why the CPSC exists...............
    to oversee and make sure no shortcuts are involved so the consumers are not at risk.

Both Samsung and
    CPSC failed miserably on the second round on the "safe note 7s".
    I could not agree with you more about the CPSC. At least in the US, they dropped the ball on this in a huge way. 2 1/2 weeks (or shorter) to do proper root cause analysis for a federal government directed recall? Not buying it. I've been involved with my share of RCA's over the years (fortunately not for a recall) and it takes longer than that to do it correctly.
    10-13-2016 05:21 PM
56 123