Galaxy Note 7′s unfortunate demise reportedly caused by new battery flaw...

Status
Not open for further replies.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
A possible reason they are tossing that has been mentioned before on this forum...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ent-note-7-explodes-plane-26.html#post5474504

Galaxy Note 7′s unfortunate demise reportedly caused by new battery flaw...

Galaxy Note 7′s unfortunate demise reportedly caused by new battery flaw - SamMobile

"A US consumer safety agency cited in the report claims the batteries from Samsung’s own affiliate were slightly too large for the device. Since they were a bit too large for the compartment, installing them would crimp the corner which would cause the batteries to short circuit and overheat."

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If that was the case... maybe Samsung should have been "brave" and remove the headphone jack like Apple did... would have given more space for the battery :-\ (and maybe a better speaker area)

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So... if the above is found to be the reason for the explosions... not hard to see where it won't happen all at once... maybe triggered after a drop/bump or whatever...

Simple fix...better QC on assembly to make sure no pinching or find a new battery that actually fits within the space and re-release right?

Or if it requires a new battery and to make it fit they reduce the size to say 3000 mah. Would people be ok with that?

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, a component (batteries) slightly too large to fit the chassis. Sounds like one measurement was in inches, the other in metric, ?

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
And the funny thing is they made the battery smaller than what is in the S7E and now we know how they were able to make the size of the phone so small and still fit in the s-pen. No way to fix this without making the battery smaller or the phone larger.

Form over Function Fail.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
If that was the case... maybe Samsung should have been "brave" and remove the headphone jack like Apple did... would have given more space for the battery :-\ (and maybe a better speaker area)

While they may do this anyway, why would this be the first choice?

99% of the users would prefer the phone 1 mm thicker or wider or something. Way easier solution, and much more popular. That said, they appear to be headed in that stupid direction anyway (If Apple does it, well then, I guess Samsung must too :-/ ).

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Smaller battery? Lol ya right. People complained left and right about the current battery already.

Last edited by a moderator:

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
While they may do this anyway, why would this be the first choice?

99% of the users would prefer the phone 1 mm thicker or wider or something. Way easier solution, and much more popular. That said, they appear to be headed in that stupid direction anyway (If Apple does it, well then, I guess Samsung must too :-/ ).

I haven't used a headphone jack in years. Guess I guess I'm the 1 %. Lol

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used a headphone jack in years. Guess I guess I'm the 1 %. Lol

Still though, you'd rather remove the jack, than have it available and instead have the phone be 1mm thicker or wider? I'm not sure why anyone would choose not to at least have the OPTION ...

For me, the phones are already so darn thin, thinner than I need them to be. I almost want them to make it a little thicker and give me more battery.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Still though, you'd rather remove the jack, than have it available and instead have the phone be 1mm thicker or wider? I'm not sure why anyone would choose not to at least have the OPTION ...

For me, the phones are already so darn thin, thinner than I need them to be. I almost want them to make it a little thicker and give me more battery.

^this^!

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
So if the CPSC says this is what caused it, why haven't Samsung's engineers been able to replicate it according to New York Times?

Odd.

Seems like more phones would've been affected if the battery was too big for the chassis. So from what I read, Samsung has discontinued the device without even being able to duplicate the problem in their own testing. That's gotta be hard to swallow.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
It's silly to mention anything else like headphone jack here. Even if the phone was thicker, or if they removed the headphone jack, they simply would have made the battery larger. They made the battery smaller than the one in the s7 edge even, just to make sure it fit. But Samsung SDI made batteries that obviously didn't meet the spec they were supposed to, or Samsung didn't do the calculations properly. It was simply an error, and no other change would necessarily mean it wouldn't happen.

Except for removable batteries which come in cases and wouldn't be prone to the sort of error that occurred.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Smaller battery? Lol ya right. People complained left and right about the current battery already.
People were complaining before they were even released. As long as it lasts all day for most people and has quick charging, I don't see any issue making the battery slightly smaller or the compartment slightly bigger.

Last edited by a moderator:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It was narrower than the Note 5.

That could be a contributing factor since it kept the same screen size and was marginally thicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo