Galaxy Note 7′s unfortunate demise reportedly caused by new battery flaw...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Just make these phones a tad thicker and you'll have the space for a larger battery and room for venting.

Regarding getting rid of the 3.5mm jack space... many of us have excellent audio equipment for the car and home that does not employ Bluetooth. We also have excellent headphones that are not bluetooth. Sure, we can go to a set up like Apple... but the problem is making these phones ultra thin and cramming in a larger battery and sealing the whole thing watertight.

People put cases on the phones anyway... make the phones 1mm to 2mm thicker!

Last edited:

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
An article on the NYTimes site mentions the rounded corner theory and rejects it. I found this quote interesting:
“The Note 7 had more features and was more complex than any other phone manufactured. In a race to surpass iPhone, Samsung seems to have packed it with so much innovation it became uncontrollable.”
Reminds me of the Tesla autopilot. Works great, until it kills you.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Just make these phones a tad thicker and you'll have the space for a larger battery and room for venting.

Regarding getting rid of the 3.5mm jack space... many of us have excellent audio equipment for the car and home that does not employ Bluetooth. We also have excellent headphones that are not bluetooth. Sure, we can go to a set up like Apple... but the problem is making these phones ultra thin and cramming in a larger battery and sealing the whole thing watertight.

People put cases on the phones anyway... make the phones 1mm to 2mm thicker!
But when a li ion battery vents it often vents with flame so extra space won't help much.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Arm chair engineers and experts. I love the internet.

i hope i don't fall into the "armchair engineer" category, but i will say THIS:

when i FIRST saw the N7 in the store i was like, "really? THIS is just too small. So, I went with the A9, Samsung's 6 incher...

Had they put the internals of the Note 7 in this bad boy with its 4000 mAh battery, i will guarantee they would have flown off the shelves... And i shutter to think of the success they could have had if they had gone even a step further, with the A9 Pro 2016, that has a 5,000 mAh battery!

My A9 is running Marsh 6.1, 3GB of RAM, amoled 1920 x1080 res and even has fingerprint scanner. The A9 Pro has a better processor, 5,000 mAh battery and 4GB RAM...However, sadly, being an Int'l version, they are missing LTE & other US bands...

I cannot imagine the success these 2 phones would have here if they had S Pen capabilities, i just don't know WHY they had to stay with a 5.7 inch screen, same size they had for past 3 genertions of Notes, surely with the trend of almost all regular handsets being 5.5 inches, EVERYONE would've easily embraced a 6 inch Note but sadly, Sammy didn't consult me on this one : (

A9 In Box.jpg

BTC

geekymamaw

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I love my Samsung Note 4 and was just about to get the Note 7 until this unfortunate recall took place. I really think Samsung is worth waiting for. I will hold on to my Note 4 which is still amazing and wait for Samsung's next offering (the Note 8?). They really have much better phones than the I phone and I have no doubt they will get the battery issue right with the next release. I'm not giving up on them.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
What did the CPSC do when they got involved? It appears they just went with the flow and bought into Samsung saying the next round was safe. Typical worthless government agency. I know we all wanted a speedy remedy, but I don't think that was the best course of action. Poor choice for Samsung as well, no way the batts were thoroughly tested in the short amount of time between the two batches. I figured that is why the CPSC exists...............
to oversee and make sure no shortcuts are involved so the consumers are not at risk.

Both Samsung and
CPSC failed miserably on the second round on the "safe note 7s".

redsman55

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
What did the CPSC do when they got involved? It appears they just went with the flow and bought into Samsung saying the next round was safe. Typical worthless government agency. I know we all wanted a speedy remedy, but I don't think that was the best course of action. Poor choice for Samsung as well, no way the batts were thoroughly tested in the short amount of time between the two batches. I figured that is why the CPSC exists...............
to oversee and make sure no shortcuts are involved so the consumers are not at risk.

Both Samsung and
CPSC failed miserably on the second round on the "safe note 7s".
I could not agree with you more about the CPSC. At least in the US, they dropped the ball on this in a huge way. 2 1/2 weeks (or shorter) to do proper root cause analysis for a federal government directed recall? Not buying it. I've been involved with my share of RCA's over the years (fortunately not for a recall) and it takes longer than that to do it correctly.

tivoboy

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
frankly, this all came down to battery DENSITY and they pushed the envelope too far.. The density on this device (note 7) was nearly 25% greater than on the S7 or S7 Edge. It's probably too high for the li-on form factor to handle and to dissipate heat. If they move it back down to sub .20mah/mmx3 they'll probably be okay. That's still about 11% greater than an S7 but doable

Kalious

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I haven't used a headphone jack in years. Guess I guess I'm the 1 %. Lol

I use my phone to listen to stuff at work, sometimes 12 hour shifts. Bluetooth headphones won't be practical until they can increase battery life. Plus it's a pain in the *** to charge headphones all the time. I have enough stuff to charge.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
frankly, this all came down to battery DENSITY and they pushed the envelope too far.. The density on this device (note 7) was nearly 25% greater than on the S7 or S7 Edge. It's probably too high for the li-on form factor to handle and to dissipate heat. If they move it back down to sub .20mah/mmx3 they'll probably be okay. That's still about 11% greater than an S7 but doable
49856c259ae011e6377b1b3b5632f0bc.gif

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
There's a lot of possibilities.

I don't think it's caused by one single factor. Rather, a chain of smaller ones caused a bigger issue to erupt. It just needed an ignition source.

Status
Not open for further replies.