The Cancellation of the Note 7

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 officially banned from all US airplane flights

I wonder if the Note 7 could become a collectors item like the original iCrap is and fetch some serious money since not many were made.

rnb8408

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I called the nearest store and they are out of S7E. There is no way I can get to the next nearest cooperate store before I have to be at the airport. :(

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I called the nearest store and they are out of S7E. There is no way I can get to the next nearest cooperate store before I have to be at the airport. :(

When I returned my Note 7 on Sept 14th I'm glad I took the edge option instead of a replacement and having to go through this twice. When I got the Edge on Sept 14th, the only store in my county was out of them and I had to go almost 40 miles to my south to a store that had two black edges in stock. I would think there will be a shortage on S7 edges for the next few weeks, but with the Note not being produced anymore I would think Samsung would devote more resources to producing more S7s then.

g2manhou

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
Note 7 on Vacation + FAA ban = OMG!

I have a replacement device. It wasn't officially recalled until I was already in the middle of vacation in beautiful Cancun, Mexico.

Got my official text that it has been recalled on Wednesday. Cool, I'll hold on to it, power down, bring it back to the US and exchange it.

Found out this morning the FAA banned it completely. Airlines in Mexico ARE checking. SO, I cancelled a non-refundable yacht tour with an open bar to deal with this $850 disaster before my flight tomorrow morning.

I've been on the phone with T-Mobile, and they're scrambling right now. No plan for this predicament.

Before the FAA ban, I was planning on actually holding on to the phone and wait to exchange it for the LG V20! So now, I have to pick whatever is already released, or be *gasp* phone-less until it releases (not an option for me). :-X

What a sour situation...

I'm going to demand Samsung reimburse me for all of my losses associated with this (yacht tour, accessories, etc.). Right now I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't even think I'll be able to get a loaner phone until the LG V20 launches...unless anyone here has an idea?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's so disappointing that this had to happen... But Samsung is doing a great job in keeping afloat, IMO. I'm sure their next iteration of devices will be stellar, and all the negative media attention, etc. will be history soon enough.

g2manhou

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
I have a replacement device. It wasn't officially recalled until I was already in the middle of vacation in beautiful Cancun, Mexico.

Got my official text that it has been recalled on Wednesday. Cool, I'll hold on to it, power down, bring it back to the US and exchange it.

Found out this morning the FAA banned it completely. Airlines in Mexico ARE checking. SO, I cancelled a non-refundable yacht tour with an open bar to deal with this $850 disaster before my flight tomorrow morning.

I've been on the phone with T-Mobile, and they're scrambling right now. No plan for this predicament.

Before the FAA ban, I was planning on actually holding on to the phone and wait to exchange it for the LG V20! So now, I have to pick whatever is already released, or be *gasp* phone-less until it releases (not an option for me). :-X

What a sour situation...

I'm going to demand Samsung reimburse me for all of my losses associated with this (yacht tour, accessories, etc.). Right now I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't even think I'll be able to get a loaner phone until the LG V20 launches...unless anyone here has an idea?

g2manhou

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
UPDATE on my situation. T-Mobile has called me and told me to back up my info, wipe the phone out (factory reset), and will allow me to abandon the device. They're going to wipe out the balance of the phone, and refund whatever I've paid into it.

TroyBoy30

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Back in March an iPhone 6 caught on fire on a flight from Washington to Hawaii, they were 90 minutes out from landing. https://www.google.com/webhp?source...8#q=iphone 6 catches fire on flight to hawaii

Iphone caught fire in a students pocket while in class just a few weeks back https://www.google.com/webhp?source...2&ie=UTF-8#q=iphone+catches+fire+in+classroom

I think this may be the one you mentioned California woman's iPhone explodes, catches fire - Story

another claim: Apple iPhone 6s catches on fire

There were a few other I saw. Now by no means is it as widespread as the Note 7 incidents but just pointing out that this can happen to any phone. Seems like the biggest issue with the new iPhone's is the "touch disease" where the phone basically locks up. Happened to a co-worker this morning on his brand new iPhone 7, we had to google it and the only way to unlock it was holding power and volume down to force a reboot and it took a while to boot back up to where he could unlock the screen. Given this is a much easier fix but still annoying for a brand new phone.

That's not tocuch disease. Touch desiease only affects the iPhone 6 and if it happens the phone is dead without repair

iPhone 6 Plus 'Touch Disease': what is it and what can you do? - Business Insider

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE on my situation. T-Mobile has called me and told me to back up my info, wipe the phone out (factory reset), and will allow me to abandon the device. They're going to wipe out the balance of the phone, and refund whatever I've paid into it.

As soon as I heard about the FAA travel ban the first thought in my head was what are people in your situation supposed to do? I'm glad to hear you have at least some kind of solution from T-mobile. I'm wondering about people from less generous carriers or who bought unlocked are going to do?

g2manhou

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
As soon as I heard about the FAA travel ban the first thought in my head was what are people in your situation supposed to do? I'm glad to hear you have at least some kind of solution from T-mobile. I'm wondering about people from less generous carriers or who bought unlocked are going to do?

Here's where I get the sh** end of the stick: I was planning on holding on the the Note 7 until the LG V20 launches. I don't get that option anymore. I have to pick whatever is available and deal with it. Through Jump! program, you gotta pay at least half your phone off before they let you upgrade and wipe out the balance of the previous phone. UGH! So it's between S7 Edge or iPhone 7 Plus...and I hate both of them. This is very frustrating because not only will I have to downgrade, in my opinion, but the margin of the downgrade is significantly higher. So, the way I see it, I got ripped off for upgrading through the Jump program by getting the Note 7 to begin with.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Here's where I get the sh** end of the stick: I was planning on holding on the the Note 7 until the LG V20 launches. I don't get that option anymore. I have to pick whatever is available and deal with it. Through Jump! program, you gotta pay at least half your phone off before they let you upgrade and wipe out the balance of the previous phone. UGH! So it's between S7 Edge or iPhone 7 Plus...and I hate both of them. This is very frustrating because not only will I have to downgrade, in my opinion, but the margin of the downgrade is significantly higher. So, the way I see it, I got ripped off for upgrading through the Jump program by getting the Note 7 to begin with.

Could always buy a cheapo phone until the v20 comes out. Bought unlocked not through T-Mobile. Always good to have a back up phone around.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If you got either phone don't you have two weeks or 30 days to decide to return it? The V 20 should be in about two weeks so you can pick a phone in the return in the two weeks and get the v20

DroidBoi22

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
It's so disappointing that this had to happen... But Samsung is doing a great job in keeping afloat, IMO. I'm sure their next iteration of devices will be stellar, and all the negative media attention, etc. will be history soon enough.

I hope you are right. Samsung is still an amazing brand. So sad to see this happen.