10-14-2016 07:58 AM
158 ... 34567
tools
    I think is my issue with current day Android. If I do want another galaxy phone, there are such gaps on software. Same line, but Samsung (and others) differentiate so much between software for devices, even though released same year. Apple can have a consistent experience, generally only differing on hardware (like cameras) between devices.

Not that apple is perfect, I'm not a zealot for any brand of manufacturer or os, but now that the note is gone, there aren't a lot of great options. If the iphone 7 failed, a very similar experience can be had on the 6s with some hardware compromises, I don't think that's a bad thing. Even though you lose ALOT of flexibility on iOS....
    The flip side interpretation could be that you are saying that you want LESS improvements each year between iterations of the same series of device?
    There are posts at imore where people have went back to their 6s & returned their 7 saying there was not enough improvement to justify the upgrade cost. However, next year is suppose to be iPhones complete overhaul & improvement in hardware. The point is that if they had a similar failure as the Note 7(lets hope they do not), the consumers are going to feel a similar let down going back to a previous gen.

Personally would rather have companies innovate each iteration the best they can even with the worst case scenario being the Note 7.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-12-2016 10:24 PM
    And not to go on and on but also the legal fees and payouts that are going (rightfully so) to the people who actually experienced the defect. Hopefully they'll be able subrogate against the battery manufacturer if it is indeed their fault. But if it wasn't or if part of their contract was to waive them from subrogation or if that's even possible as I'm not familiar with the laws outside of North America... there's so much cost going into this.
    10-12-2016 10:52 PM
    I'm heartbroken over this phone. I had a Note2 and a Note4 before I got the 7. There is no other phone with a stylus. I turned in my 4 when I got my 7 so I don't have another phone. The hassles I've had with screen protectors, recalls, hours at the verizon store, and waiting weeks to finally get the replacement phone I wanted only to have it recalled 6 days after I got it - in the overall scheme of things no big deal, but right now it all adds to the disappointment over not being able to find a phone I'd actually like to use everyday for the next 2 years. People keep talking about the 8 but is there certainty that that's going to happen? I've suffered through phones that I'd settled for in the past and I honesty don't want to have to settle. I'd be willing to use a 5 until there's an 8 but to buy a new 5 now after having the 7 is a giant step backwards as well as a financial commitment that feels like a huge rip-off. Best Buy is giving a $250 BB gift card with the 5 but it's attached to a 2 year contract.
    jackash0912 likes this.
    10-12-2016 11:01 PM
    Wow.....but no one is defending Samsung or a corporation? Right?
    My comparison comes from the value of people, human beings above a corporation, a single stoic entity. The reason why we want corporations to stay in the US is because people in the US are hurting for jobs. End of story. If we can't agree that Samsung should value people and make amends for what the customers are going through why humanize a corporation? Why are we demonizing them when they up and move to Mexico?
    U guys just gave every single reason why a corporation shouldn't even half way wrong a right done to a consumer, in u guys eyes they shouldn't even have good customer retention practices. Anyway, I'm gonna agree to disagree on this one.
    10-12-2016 11:33 PM
    Wow.....but no one is defending Samsung or a corporation? Right?
    Um, I wasn't. At all. I'm probably one of the last people around here who would defend Samsung. I refuse to touch their phones.

The reason why we want corporations to stay in the US is because people in the US are hurting for jobs. End of story.
    Right. And as I said, people don't want to pay what it costs for those companies to stay in the US. That's not a defense. I'm not saying what corporations should or shouldn't do. I was simply stating a fact.

And as we've pointed out, your link between this Samsung situation--a situation involving a company that is not even based in the US--and US jobs is tenuous at best.

U guys just gave every single reason why a corporation shouldn't even half way wrong a right done to a consumer
    I'm sorry. How you arrived here is completely beyond me. Maybe that makes sense in your head, but it doesn't make sense otherwise.

Maybe you want corporations to value people. Maybe some do. But as far as corporations like Samsung go, that's not their reason for being in business. That's the simple truth of the matter.
    10-12-2016 11:44 PM
    Moderator Note: please move the political discussions you want to have to the politics section so we phone nerds can talk about phones and other phone nerd stuff.
    10-13-2016 07:18 AM
    Sorry Moderator about the political debate, but I moved on the minute I said "I will agree to disagree". Thanks for your input.
    skatergirl likes this.
    10-13-2016 07:38 AM
    As a note 7 owner whom has remained loyal to Samsung throughout this whole ordeal, I feel that Samsung could do much better to compensate the customers who pay the most for a premium device. Like many of you, I don't want to give up my note 7 and all other offerings don't hold much of a candle to this device.

To make me happy Samsung should do exactly this:

"We recognize our failure and wish to keep our loyal Note customers happy. We will now offer a note 5 free of charge to previous note 7 owners."
    A note 5 should be offered for our trouble if Samsung cares anything about keeping note owners happy. Then and only then will I give up my note 7 (which is a liability for them as long as it is in my possession)
    Note 7 is a liability for YOU as long as it's in your possession. Samsung has put forth a statement about powering off the Note 7 and sending it back. Samsung is covered legally. Samsung is moving forward and is not concerned with your heavy handed demand. If you get burned, I hope you have health insurance or any other insurance you'd need should any of your belongings become damaged due to your device burning up. You and your short sightedness will only have you to blame.
    Jona005 and debdroid1a like this.
    10-13-2016 09:23 AM
    so what is an acceptable option?
    Moving on with your life.
    10-13-2016 09:26 AM
    Offer people who actually bought the Note 7, a discount or a preferred trade in on the next Note or Note type device. Maybe $200-$300 loyalty discount on the next Galaxy with a stylus.
    That's a healthy compromise that meets the needs of both parties.
    10-13-2016 09:27 AM
    I take it you brought one out right. Nothing for the payment plan ppl huh?
    Perhaps you should offer a compromise for the payment folks instead of having a tantrum because of assumptions you made about his.
    10-13-2016 09:30 AM
    Personally, as a Note 7 owner, I feel many of us went through the ringer with this phone. This has not been an easy process and we have had our hearts and souls invested in this device. Maybe this might sound dumb to some, but many of us feel this way. Besides emotional stress and strain, it has been a big inconvenience as well. Besides the time and effort in ordering phones, returning phones and dealing with bill credits, I will (as most Note 7 owners) be completing the third customization of a phone in two months. This, for me, is a day project.

I do feel Samsung owes Note 7 owners more than an apology, which I do not even think it has actually done. What I think is fair, for the inconvenience alone, is some sort of cash rebate, at least $100-$150, on a future Samsung device to each person who owned a Note 7.

The world owes me nothing, but a sincere gesture by Samsung would go a long way.
    Big inconvenience? Yes. Stress and strain? Talk to the folks in Haiti or the folks flooded out up and down the eastern seaboard and then come back with some perspective about stress and strain. Go visit a homeless shelter. Go to a morgue. A funeral. Your problem is that you allowed your self worth to be predicated on something as innocuous as a cell phone.
    10-13-2016 09:36 AM
    Big inconvenience? Yes. Stress and strain? Talk to the folks in Haiti or the folks flooded out up and down the eastern seaboard and then come back with some perspective about stress and strain. Go visit a homeless shelter. Go to a morgue. A funeral. Your problem is that you allowed your self worth to be predicated on something as innocuous as a cell phone.
    Seriously.
    10-13-2016 09:37 AM
    The flip side interpretation could be that you are saying that you want LESS improvements each year between iterations of the same series of device?
    There are posts at imore where people have went back to their 6s & returned their 7 saying there was not enough improvement to justify the upgrade cost. However, next year is suppose to be iPhones complete overhaul & improvement in hardware. The point is that if they had a similar failure as the Note 7(lets hope they do not), the consumers are going to feel a similar let down going back to a previous gen.

Personally would rather have companies innovate each iteration the best they can even with the worst case scenario being the Note 7.
    Oh I don't disagree. And not saying I am going to the 7 since it was such an incremental release. Since the software is the same on the 7 and 6s, I will likely keep my 6s, although I am considering doing the plus because I loved the larger size screen. I will say it certainly is less jarring than going from note to s7 edge than from a 7 to 6s though, because the iOS software is the same, so no compromise there. If I did the s7e I would lose my theme store purchases and grace ui improvements until God knows when.

And I know Android has advantages over IOS, I was Android for years, and would go back except nothing else appealed like the note 7. Willing to accept compromises for note 7 (some apps not as good, no volume control on headphones, iMessage lack), but not for the other devices. Sad.
    10-13-2016 09:40 AM
    I don't live in those places. And help is being sent to them.
    Why do you drag that on here.

We lost something we use everyday. Its part of our life.
    Don't kick the chair out from under us.
    10-13-2016 09:43 AM
    I totally get where you are coming from. My solution, as you may have read in a different post, was to buy a refurbished 7edge from eBay to hold me over. I did not want to be in a device payment contact when the right phone (Note 8) comes around.
    That's a smart solution.
    10-13-2016 09:47 AM
    I totally get where you are coming from. My solution, as you may have read in a different post, was to buy a refurbished 7edge from eBay to hold me over. I did not want to be in a device payment contact when the right phone (Note 8) comes around.
    But I'd have to purchase outright an aging device. I shouldn't have to do that bc of their screw up. I'll end up losing more money than I already have in this fiasco. X2 because both my husband and I have note 7s
    10-13-2016 09:47 AM
    Mod note. Please, keep the discussion civil and on topic. If you want to discuss politics use the specific forum in the Android Central Lounge. Thanks.
    jackash0912 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-13-2016 09:49 AM
    For the folks looking for a phone to get them buy.
    Has anybody used this place
    https://www.cellularcountry.com/
    10-13-2016 09:58 AM
    Here's another solution for those not wanting to burn an upgrade. Good interim until the next Note comes out

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...cUvbUpU5489542
    10-13-2016 10:02 AM
    well its over. I cant keep a phone that is a liability to everyone around me. Good luck everyone
    I am awaiting my firebox so i can send this back
    10-13-2016 10:03 AM
    Samsung apparently announced today that anyone who bought Note 7 can return it and they will get a full refund, plus additional $100 if they decide to purchase a different Samsung phone. If not, they will get $25 (on top of a full refund).

For people who are on carrier plans, the picture is rather murky, since those involve annual contracts, trade-ins of older devices, special promotional discounts and all other sorts of incentives that carriers offer independently from Samsung, which makes it practically impossible for a consumer to figure out exactly what is their entitlement and how they can do this.

The main problem here is that, unlike pretty much ANY other product out there (a TV, a refrigerator, a car, a chainsaw...), which you pay for in full, or finance over a period of time (with a help of a bank), mobile phones are more often than not sold through this extremely opaque network of mobile carriers, who make every effort to obscure the exact amount of money the consumer actually paid for that phone by offering bundles with service, special 'early upgrade' plans (such as T-Mobile's "JUMP"), promotional offers and incentives, trade-in discounts, etc. When something like this recall happens, you as the consumer have absolutely no way of finding out exactly how much you are entitled to, how much of the retail value of your phone has been paid off, from the moment you got it until you returned it, what was the actual value of your trade-in when you purchased the recalled device, etc.

To all the Note 7 owners, good luck with this process.
    10-13-2016 10:25 AM
    Yes, these people have life much worse than we do. But seriously, you have no reason, or right for that matter, to scold me when I am commenting on a phone and a business relationship in a phone forum.
    10-13-2016 10:34 AM
    10-13-2016 10:54 AM
    Man I got the old S6 that I used a year and a half ago.
    Its tough getting used to a phone with Wifi calling.
    I get a lot of dropped calls if I don't use wifi calling.
    Then having a phone or looking at a used phone that don't have wifi calling.
    10-13-2016 10:55 AM
158 ... 34567