10-14-2016 07:58 AM
158 ... 4567
tools
    I wonder what the match is on lost customers vs. giving stuff away.
    That's the key - right there.

"Full refund plus a Note 5" is obviously swinging the pendulum too far one way for Samsung, and "Full refund and naught else" is, while a reasonable limit to their liability, not going to please the majority of their previously-loyal customer base. No matter how you slice it, there have been costs/inconvenience incurred by customers, and while Samsung has no LEGAL liability to help with those costs, they face a potential loss of brand loyalty and future sales to a certain extent if they simply hit the reset button and don't throw some sort of "we messed up and you were inconvenienced, we're really REALLY sorry" bone to their customers.

Last I heard, they were offering
    - Full "reset" (full refund if you bought outright and just want your money back, refund of difference and ability to buy new device subsidized if you want to start over with another device, etc).
    - $100 bonus if you choose another Sammy product. $25 bonus if you choose someone else's product.
    - Keep the accessories you may have gotten as a free gift (VR, headphones, whatever).

They would also do very well for their next couple of releases the S8 and the [whatever the Note 8 will be named] to say "bring the IMEI box label from any Note 7 in and get an additional $100 or so off the new model" as an additional incentive to get people back on-brand. That could be written off as a pretty standard incentive, and might be worth more money than it costs if it draws some folks who have left the brand back in.
    10-13-2016 11:04 AM
    You know Samsung just had a hard time.
    And has made everything good.
    You lost very little money with Samsung.
    But you want a free ride.
    That is one of the things that is hard on Business.
    Everybody wanting something for free.
    I think Samsung should come out with a better phone.
    And charge 1250.00 for it to make up for their loss.

Hows that sound.
    10-13-2016 11:14 AM
    You know Samsung just had a hard time.
    And has made everything good.
    You lost very little money with Samsung.
    But you want a free ride.
    That is one of the things that is hard on Business.
    Everybody wanting something for free.
    I think Samsung should come out with a better phone.
    And charge 1250.00 for it to make up for their loss.

Hows that sound.
    Sounds awful.
    wkemp21 and wheresmy600 like this.
    10-13-2016 11:16 AM
    You guys get your money back... I think they offered a $100 bucks off too right off a new Samsung so that's cool! If you don't use the $100 off and went with another phone, then you are gone anyways right so no need to do any more. I didn't read the offer but would be nice if that $100 doesn't expire and can be used for the next future Note phone.

People arguing about any more hassle gone through with the recall think of this... guys like me that stayed on the fence in buying... didn't even get a chance to play with it

You guys had one... two months... to own it, touch it, love it.

Isn't it better to have loved and lost, then never loved at all???
    devauls, athenatp and Joachimi like this.
    10-13-2016 11:23 AM
    Then and only then will I give up my note 7 (which is a liability for them as long as it is in my possession)
    It will not be a liability to them because they have given clear publicized instructions to turn the phone off and bring it in to be replaced. If you chose to keep the phone and not follow the recall instructions then the liability falls on you. God forbid anything does happen to your phone and someone else gets hurt in the process. The only person to blame in that situation will be you and only you.
    Jona005 and ShaggyKids like this.
    10-13-2016 11:25 AM
    Note 7 is a liability for YOU as long as it's in your possession. Samsung has put forth a statement about powering off the Note 7 and sending it back. Samsung is covered legally. Samsung is moving forward and is not concerned with your heavy handed demand. If you get burned, I hope you have health insurance or any other insurance you'd need should any of your belongings become damaged due to your device burning up. You and your short sightedness will only have you to blame.
    One thing to consider, should you keep your Note 7 and it does catch on fire and cause damage your insurance may not cover it. Reason I say that is Samsung told you to power down the device and get a refund or exchange it... basically stop using it but if you ignore their instructions then the insurance company could claim negligence on your part for not listening to the manufacturer and not cover the damages. If an insurance company can find a way to get out the claim, they are going to take it and save their company money.
    Jona005 and ShaggyKids like this.
    10-13-2016 11:26 AM
    You guys get your money back... I think they offered a $100 bucks off too right off a new Samsung so that's cool! If you don't use the $100 off and went with another phone, then you are gone anyways right so no need to do any more. I didn't read the offer but would be nice if that $100 doesn't expire and can be used for the next future Note phone.

People arguing about any more hassle gone through with the recall think of this... guys like me that stayed on the fence in buying... didn't even get a chance to play with it

It was Great and wonderful.
    And I used it all day and most of the nite.

I was on it more than my computer.
    I could hear the speakers too.
    It was so good that I hate being without it.

Its gonna be a long wait for Samsung to come out with another note style phone
    Samsung did what is right. And i'm not out of anything but the case I bought.
    Which ain't bad.
    I'd rather Samsung focus on making the next great phone.
    10-13-2016 11:26 AM
    One thing to consider, should you keep your Note 7 and it does catch on fire and cause damage your insurance may not cover it. Reason I say that is Samsung told you to power down the device and get a refund or exchange it... basically stop using it but if you ignore their instructions then the insurance company could claim negligence on your part for not listening to the manufacturer and not cover the damages. If an insurance company can find a way to get out the claim, they are going to take it and save their company money.
    What else is terrible is everybody worrying about if anybody else still wants to keep their phone.
    Even if its for 2 months.
    I liked the phone that much.
    Both my note 7 worked great.
    I miss both of them.
    Feel terrible that I traded it in.
    If I still worked I would of kept it till they cut it off.
    I hate flying so no worry about getting on a plane with one.
    ShaggyKids and Cary Quinn like this.
    10-13-2016 11:29 AM
    It will not be a liability to them because they have given clear publicized instructions to turn the phone off and bring it in to be replaced. If you chose to keep the phone and not follow the recall instructions then the liability falls on you. God forbid anything does happen to your phone and someone else gets hurt in the process. The only person to blame in that situation will be you and only you.

It could fall pretty easily undergross negligence

n. carelessness in reckless disregard for the safety or lives of others, which is so great it appears to be a conscious violation of other people's rights to safety. It is more than simple inadvertence, but it is just shy of being intentionally evil. If one has borrowed or contracted to take care of another's property, then gross negligence is the failure to actively take the care one would of his/her own property. If gross negligence is found by the trier of fact (judge or jury), it can result in the award of punitive damages on top of general and special damages. (See: negligence, damages, punitive damages)

Gross negligence legal definition of gross negligence
    10-13-2016 11:40 AM
    if you bothered to read the last page you would see that I am indeed returning the phone
    10-13-2016 12:22 PM
    They're already losing a huge amount of money with this recall (unless they have great recall coverage on their insurance policy). Giving free devices to everyone would only put them further in the hole.
    This. Plus the majority of folks were able to apply for at least one of the promos, with some coming out with three. Samsung does not need to do anything else. They just need to hit a home run with the Galaxy S8 series.
    wkemp21 and Shanicenicolle like this.
    10-13-2016 12:29 PM
    I have gone back to my Note Edge for now. Something interesting is that there have been some ota updates beyond the MM update, I have discovered that Screen off notes is now an option. I really like 2 main things about the Note series if devices - Big screen and S-pen.

Cheers,
    BR
    **Really miss my N7**
    10-13-2016 01:28 PM
    I just got a (supposedly, I'll know for sure when I receive it..) new open box 64gb Note 5 off eBay for $388. supposedly in what this vendor calls Excellent + condition. I imagine that enough people have come to the same conclusion... the Note 5 is really the only option for those of us needing S-pen.

It may be helpful to folks here if we all started posting what we're actually paying for N5's, if we're getting the item we described, etc.

Yes, I'm still reeling that I bought a Note 5... you know, the Note I said I would NEVER buy if Hades froze over because I want my IR blaster, removeable battery, microSD... yeah, that one... I bought that... <sigh...>

I'll wait until the Verizon LG v20 comes out. Then, I'll decide if I want to give the note 5 to my husband, jump ship to LG or... just ride the Note 5 until the Notate, Notation, Nate, N8, Crazy88, or whatever the heck they call it comes out... But... I'll probably ride the bleeding edge of technology for a year and stay with the Note 5. It hurts my soul.

<sigh...> if only the LG v20 had an S-pen... and the Edge screen... and all that super-sexy glass... and phenomenal camera... and always on display... and edge notifications...

honestly, the attachment I've had to this phone is a little unnatural... It's just a phone! and yet, I'm really upset about having to give back my Super Sexy Silver Sizzler! The only other time I've had such an attachment to a material object was a Firebird...

<mind begins to wander...> ...but it wasn't just any Firebird! It was a 2002, Fire Engine Red, 425 hp, Ram Air Trans Am Firebird with the WS-6 suspension package and 6-speed Hurst shifter and oversize, low profile tires... the sound when you fired her up... You could break the tires loose in 4th gear... The deep gray leather interior... The cockpit seat that literally molded to your body... It was so sexy...

WHOA! I'm back now! LOL

But this is what that the GN7 was to me... someone else on here said, "It was too good... that's why we can't keep them..." or something to that effect. I agree.

When you're ready Sammy, I'll be waiting...
    debdroid1a and Joachimi like this.
    10-13-2016 01:51 PM
    I think once they notify you that the device is dangerous, and that their only advice is to immediately discontinue using the device in any way, they are no longer liable for any incident resulting from its further use. This would be particularly true if they could prove that you'd been duly notified. (And, frankly, if a consumer knowingly continues to use the product and is injured or suffers damages, then chooses to pursue Samsung, then that consumer is an opportunistic thief)

Now, who should pick up the cost of the units/replacement costs? That's debatable, but "the consumer" is not the right answer.

-Mark
    ShaggyKids and athenatp like this.
    10-13-2016 02:33 PM
    Then and only then will I give up my note 7 (which is a liability for them as long as it is in my possession)
    I would rather keep my family, my house, personal property, garage, car ... whatever ... safe. No amount of liability on someone else can bring these things back if I had a phone that started a fire. Absolutely NO phone is worth that to me.

I also have trouble believing that a court of law would find a phone owner absolutely free of liability should something happen considering all the news and hype to shut down your N7 due to the risk. Samsung can say "We more than warned you." I think you might find yourself on the hook.
    10-13-2016 02:56 PM
    I think once they notify you that the device is dangerous, and that their only advice is to immediately discontinue using the device in any way, they are no longer liable for any incident resulting from its further use. This would be particularly true if they could prove that you'd been duly notified. (And, frankly, if a consumer knowingly continues to use the product and is injured or suffers damages, then chooses to pursue Samsung, then that consumer is an opportunistic thief)

Now, who should pick up the cost of the units/replacement costs? That's debatable, but "the consumer" is not the right answer.

-Mark
    How many phones were sold in the U.S
    And how many caught on fire.
    Really small percentage if you ask me.
    10-13-2016 03:01 PM
    How many phones were sold in the U.S
    And how many caught on fire.
    Really small percentage if you ask me.
    Regardless -- Just because they didn't explode doesn't mean they couldn't have (a.k.a haven't just yet) done it. I am sure Samsung wouldn't do a full cancel of a product unless they were even worried.
    Jona005, debdroid1a and brau0303 like this.
    10-13-2016 03:12 PM
    A percentage point wouldn't matter if someone were visiting my house and their N7 exploded. Heaven forbid it caused significant damage and hurt my daughter. At this point with as much publicity it has had I would go after everything that person had.

It is simply because at this point that person would have intentionally put myself and my family at risk. A few weeks ago would have been different but not now.
    10-13-2016 03:14 PM

I'm thinking about it from the other point of view. I am not asking Samsung for anything. They were fair in giving me my money back for the phone. I harbor no grudge, but I am not all warm and fuzzy about the experience either.

The other point of view, is how much is it worth to Samsung to keep a customer. That is what determines what they should do. Every customer has a different value over the course of the year. As folks switch out of their ecosystem, they lose dollars. Samsung knows their per customer value. That gives them a value of the customers they will lose due to the recall. Using that number, they can determine how much money they should spend to keep customers. With that thinking, it may be worth it to offer incentives to customers to stay. On the other hand, the price to keep a customer right now may just be too high (likely).

In my case, Samsung did not offer enough incentives to stay. I have ordered a Pixel, and I may be lost to them for an extended time due to that. I don't know my exact value to them over time, so I don't know if it is a good decision for them or not.

Either way, they will have to spend a lot more money over the coming years to get back customers that have been burned (not literally) by the Note 7.
    10-13-2016 03:36 PM
    .....The world owes me nothing, but a sincere gesture by Samsung would go a long way.
    100% agree, i also do not suffer from any "Entitlement Disorder" and feel The Note 5 was Samsung's best offering up until the Edge 7 was released, and even TODAY with its 4GB of RAM, its bigger screen and WITH S-Pen capabilities it can still run a few laps around the S7 Edge ...

If offered for a price of $299.00 to ALL Note 7 owners as a replacement, i think it could take the sting off of even the MOST disappointed Note 7 owner, given there isn't a device available that can match the Note 7's pros or CONS....The Note 5 is the ONLY phone that can run a close 2nd. Period.

Yes, they have already LOST a fortune, but sometimes you have to include a fix for "future loss of revenue" to stop the bleeding.

BTC
    10-13-2016 05:28 PM
    100% agree, i also do not suffer from any "Entitlement Disorder" and feel The Note 5 was Samsung's best offering up until the Edge 7 was released, and even TODAY with its 4GB of RAM, its bigger screen and WITH S-Pen capabilities it can still run a few laps around the S7 Edge ...

If offered for a price of $299.00 to ALL Note 7 owners as a replacement, i think it could take the sting off of even the MOST disappointed Note 7 owner, given there isn't a device available that can match the Note 7's pros or CONS....The Note 5 is the ONLY phone that can run a close 2nd. Period.

Yes, they have already LOST a fortune, but sometimes you have to include a fix for "future loss of revenue" to stop the bleeding.

BTC
    What
    I can get a note 5 for 299.00
    What if I returned my phone already.

Who is this threw and how to you get it.
    10-13-2016 05:31 PM
    What

She was just suggesting it -- they aren't offering that.
    10-13-2016 06:30 PM
    Ditto, I already have a back up Note 5 so it doesn't work for me. On top of that there is no comparison to Note 7, I am not about to return it for anything despite the recall. This is my replacement Note7 & it is as good as the first one. Nothing wrong no overheat and great battery life. I am keeping mine.
    10-13-2016 07:19 PM
    What

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but unless I missed something this was more (It would be awesome if....) I just ordered a used N5 from the bay. Going to get the Supcase for it since I loved on my N7.

Cheers,
    BR
    10-13-2016 07:29 PM
    I haven't checked the Note 5 forums... what is the word on Nougat on the Note 5? And I guess it wouldnt happen unless there was a Nougat upgrade but what do you think chances are Grace UI would be made available on the upgrade as well as the Note 7 pen tools, AOD and secured folder?

Recall messed up my chances of getting Note 7 at corporate pricing right now. I could use my corp acct connection to get an S7 or Edge for $199 or $299 but they really don't excite me that much. But out of curiousity I'm checking if our AT&T rep has any Note 5... and see what corp price is.

Otherwise My thought is... i have a phone in meantime... only 4 months so to wait to see what the S8 looks like and whether they would put the Note 7 features, as many as they can, on the S8 and decide from there what to do maybe hear if any rumors on Note 8.

What

10-13-2016 07:53 PM
158 ... 4567