The only compromise I am willing to make

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's botched N7 has caused a lot of people to sell perfectly good phones in order to move to the N7. Some even traded in their old devices for way less than what buying the same device again will cost.. People got burnt on this (no pun) and it's sad... A person shouldn't have to dish out money for something they really don't/didn't want to begin with...
If I wanted a N5, then I would've bought one when it was launched and the same goes for the S7edge....
I'm fortunate enough to still have my old N3 and a iPhone 6 to fall back on but many people don't.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what the match is on lost customers vs. giving stuff away.

If the could find a way to do as someone suggested and offer a credit redeemable for next year's big not called a note but is really a note device and to spread the costs of that out between Q1 and Q2 so that it doesn't further add to their Q4 2016 write down and their Q3 earnings from the big not called a note but is really a note device, I could see that being more interesting - but when dealing with a $15 billion ish write down this quarter and having done $2 billion last quarter, I have to imagine that further losses this quarter is going to make a few people morph into hulk smash mode.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Only acceptable option: 1. They give everyone a full refund of anything and everything they paid into this device. 2 Everyone returns the equipment to Samsung. 3. Nothing else.

Full refund for the phone.

Full refund for accessories specific to the Note 7 (depending where you bought them).

And a $25 gift card, in-store credit, in-store accessory credit, or bill credit at certain carriers if you exchange a Note 7 for another Samsung device.

Sounds like that's enough to me and if it isn't, make sure your next phone isn't a Samsung.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Personally, as a Note 7 owner, I feel many of us went through the ringer with this phone. This has not been an easy process and we have had our hearts and souls invested in this device. Maybe this might sound dumb to some, but many of us feel this way. Besides emotional stress and strain, it has been a big inconvenience as well. Besides the time and effort in ordering phones, returning phones and dealing with bill credits, I will (as most Note 7 owners) be completing the third customization of a phone in two months. This, for me, is a day project.

I do feel Samsung owes Note 7 owners more than an apology, which I do not even think it has actually done. What I think is fair, for the inconvenience alone, is some sort of cash rebate, at least $100-$150, on a future Samsung device to each person who owned a Note 7.

The world owes me nothing, but a sincere gesture by Samsung would go a long way.

I told my wife last night that I could not believe how bummed I am about giving up my N7. There are just so many things that I really like about it that won't be replaced. :'(

kabeeo

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I would like to see a rebate ($150?) on the Note 5 with maybe a software update to what was on the Note 7. They haven't been selling many of the 5 anyway I imagine.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I will (as most Note 7 owners) be completing the third customization of a phone in two months. This, for me, is a day project.

You could just practice more and get faster at it? JK, I get your point.

I agree with you that Samsung doesn't owe anyone anything - but they do have to figure out how they're going to inspire enough trust to get a second chance to earn loyalty back from those that were put off by this whole ordeal.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
If the could find a way to do as someone suggested and offer a credit redeemable for next year's big not called a note but is really a note device and to spread the costs of that out between Q1 and Q2 so that it doesn't further add to their Q4 2016 write down and their Q3 earnings from the big not called a note but is really a note device, I could see that being more interesting - but when dealing with a $15 billion ish write down this quarter and having done $2 billion last quarter, I have to imagine that further losses this quarter is going to make a few people morph into hulk smash mode.

And don't forget the cost of tracking all that stuff. Their systems are not built for it, so it would be a big spend to set up. While in theory there are a lot of options, execution of these types of ideas are very difficult for a huge enterprise like Samsung.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
As a note 7 owner whom has remained loyal to Samsung throughout this whole ordeal, I feel that Samsung could do much better to compensate the customers who pay the most for a premium device. Like many of you, I don't want to give up my note 7 and all other offerings don't hold much of a candle to this device.

To make me happy Samsung should do exactly this:

"We recognize our failure and wish to keep our loyal Note customers happy. We will now offer a note 5 free of charge to previous note 7 owners."
A note 5 should be offered for our trouble if Samsung cares anything about keeping note owners happy. Then and only then will I give up my note 7 (which is a liability for them as long as it is in my possession)

Is the Note 5 still in production?... or do they have enough NOS units to achieve this?

Azartrus

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Is the Note 5 still in production?... or do they have enough NOS units to achieve this?

I am not sure but if they have enough the could push some of the N7 software to the N5 and maybe then I would consider upgrading to the N5. I just dont want to be stuck with a 2 year device payment when the next device comes around now that the N5 is aging tech

prasad219

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
As a note 7 owner whom has remained loyal to Samsung throughout this whole ordeal, I feel that Samsung could do much better to compensate the customers who pay the most for a premium device. Like many of you, I don't want to give up my note 7 and all other offerings don't hold much of a candle to this device.

To make me happy Samsung should do exactly this:

"We recognize our failure and wish to keep our loyal Note customers happy. We will now offer a note 5 free of charge to previous note 7 owners."
A note 5 should be offered for our trouble if Samsung cares anything about keeping note owners happy. Then and only then will I give up my note 7 (which is a liability for them as long as it is in my possession)
I don't think that's possible. It's a huge loss for the brand. Giving free devices to Note 7 customers is gonna make it even bigger. It's OK if the phone failed due to its battery. But it's not Samsung's fault entirely. The battery manufacturers did a big mistake. Samsung is paying for that mistake. Maybe someone did everything on purposes. Looks like a game played well to hurt Samsung.

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Seems everyone wants something now days. How about they take back the dangerous phone and provide everyone a free BMW? Would that be even better? I think asking for this and that plus double and triple taking the promos along with everything else is enough.

As for it being a liability as long as its in your possession? In a court of law, part of the facts would be:
-Did the company attempt to mitigate the damage? YES
-Was the damaged party aware of the possible damages? YES
-Did the damaged party do anything to mitigate the damage? NO
-Was the company 100% at fault? NO

If you keep the device, knowing the possible ramifications, you are not mitigating any of the damage and that would be on you, not samsung

Yes if people keep the phone when knowing there is a recall then it's on them not Samsung. If something happens to you then you can't do anything. You can't try to sue Samsung. As for wanting a Note 5 for free. Not only is it unrealistic but just plain stupid... Samsung is already losing a huge amount of money from this. A discount is realistic... I could see them trying to do that.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Full refund for the phone.

Full refund for accessories specific to the Note 7 (depending where you bought them).

And a $25 gift card, in-store credit, in-store accessory credit, or bill credit at certain carriers if you exchange a Note 7 for another Samsung device.

Sounds like that's enough to me and if it isn't, make sure your next phone isn't a Samsung.
See..... this is cool for someone like me that has a phone to fall back on that's already paid for. But what about the people that sold or traded in their old devices for much less? Seems they are the losers in this whole thing because now they have to actually spend more money to get back what they originally had from the beginning. They don't get to walk away even stevens and a $25 credit or even gift card doesn't bridge the gap for their out of pocket....

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Samsung owes us nothing. I am NOT okay with the whole entitlement nonsense.

However, I could see it being beneficial to them to make an attempt to retain some of their customers. If they choose not to do so, I am not angry or bitter at them for it. As stated before, they've done everything they're obligated to do. That being said, I will always accept with open arms, anything they choose to do for me to soften the blow of this whole ordeal. I get that they've already lost a ton, but that's why they have teams to determine cost and market analysis to determine if lost customers will make it even worse, and if it's worth it to send out $150 rebate coupons for a future Samsung purchase.

This whole experience has been complete crap. Having the exact phone in hand that you've wanted for two years, and having to give it up for an inferior product. I am not one who buys every big new phone. I had my Note 4 for two years, and in that time I had developed a checklist of what I wanted in an upgrade, and the Note 7 nailed it. I enjoyed it for 2 months, and now i'm back on my Note 4 which doesn't seem as though it will hold on much longer. It all sucks.

bmitchell1876

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I held onto my upgrade eligibility for over 8 months waiting for the Note 7 !! Almost broke down and bought the Note 5 on a couple of occasions but i held out.

Anyway i GOTTA HAVE a Note to replace my Note but I'm sooooo frustrated that it's $399 for the 64gb model.

There's no way in heck I'm paying
$100 more for an older model, with no SD card support and No Waterproofing!

Samsung doesn't owe me anything but i would REALLY APPRECIATE a discount on a Note 5 right now... 400 bucks for the 64gb is CRAZY when the N7 was $300

subraya

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
They're already losing a huge amount of money with this recall (unless they have great recall coverage on their insurance policy). Giving free devices to everyone would only put them further in the hole.
Definitely. God knows how much loss they have suffered. Recalling the devices and refunding them is good. Giving free devices would be too much for them. They should sue the battery manufacturer atleast to get some money back to compensate for their losses. Every other company out there is taking advantage of this situation.

jn3wman

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
They're already losing a huge amount of money with this recall (unless they have great recall coverage on their insurance policy). Giving free devices to everyone would only put them further in the hole.

Samsung offered all carriers the option of giving customers free S7s as a replacement phone, but as far as I know, only AT&T took them up on that offer. Those customers will get a free, brand new Galaxy S7 regular version & will also get to keep their upgrade if they choose to get something else. Everyone else just has to waste their upgrade on an old phone.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
They should have at least offered all Note 7 owners a 1/2 price, 6 month plan for the S7E to keep folks with the brand until the S8 or even Note8 comes out, since everything out there is a downgrade for us. I absolutely won't consider a Note 5 because of the small battery and no SD card (I'm using over 120gb on my N7 now).

And the worst thing is, once we all do switch phones (for the majority of us on lease plans) is that aren't we stuck with that (inferior) phone for at least a year. Since the way these new lease programs work (at least on Verizon), we need to be 50% paid off in order to do the next upgrade, so the S8 and even Note 8 will come out and we won't be able to even get it when it's released without paying a 'penalty' (unless we pay off the 50% balance early )

This whole ordeal is a disgrace! I'm tempted to just keep my N7 and hope for the best (half kidding)

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
They offered to exchange for the S7 and a refund for the price difference. Not the entire device for free.

Samsung offered all carriers the option of giving customers free S7s as a replacement phone, but as far as I know, only AT&T took them up on that offer. Those customers will get a free, brand new Galaxy S7 regular version & will also get to keep their upgrade if they choose to get something else. Everyone else just has to waste their upgrade on an old phone.

bmitchell1876

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Definitely. God knows how much loss they have suffered. Recalling the devices and refunding them is good. Giving free devices would be too much for them. They should sue the battery manufacturer atleast to get some money back to compensate for their losses. Every other company out there is taking advantage of this situation.

Yeah they will sue the battery company... For the price of the batteries ... Haha

They probably have to suffer the same fate we are... Refund only (and a free vr - 256gb card hahaa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty