The only compromise I am willing to make

Status
Not open for further replies.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's amazing how people are defending a multi-billion dollar company after they have messed up, not purposefully but still. Samsung has not lost a customer in me forever but I do understand if someone else will never look at them again.
I went to 3 T-Mobiles and 2 Best Buy's this afternoon, they are all out of S7, S7Edge and the Note 5. So when people are screaming on here and everywhere Power down your phone and return it.....return it for what? I am actually for the first time in 5 years of Notes looking at the LG V20 or maybe the Moto Z Force. So I can't power down my Note 7 because there is nothing out there at this time that is acceptable for me to invest my dollars in and frankly at this point I am tired of this phone situation.
As I said before, if a billion dollar company isn't trying to make amends, and people are boohoo crying over Samsung's lost/revenues versus the customer, something is extremely wrong. If a company as big as Samsung can't make amends because it's always about a corporations bottom line and not about the customer in a situation like this, I have lost faith that any company will ever do good in this world. Specially, if some consumers are ready to defend them.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's amazing how people are defending a multi-billion dollar company after they have messed up, not purposefully but still. Samsung has not lost a customer in me forever but I do understand if someone else will never look at them again.
I went to 3 T-Mobiles and 2 Best Buy's this afternoon, they are all out of S7, S7Edge and the Note 5. So when people are screaming on here and everywhere Power down your phone and return it.....return it for what? I am actually for the first time in 5 years of Notes looking at the LG V20 or maybe the Moto Z Force. So I can't power down my Note 7 because there is nothing out there at this time that is acceptable for me to invest my dollars in and frankly at this point I am tired of this phone situation.
As I said before, if a billion dollar company isn't trying to make amends, and people are boohoo crying over Samsung's lost/revenues versus the customer, something is extremely wrong. If a company as big as Samsung can't make amends because it's always about a corporations bottom line and not about the customer in a situation like this, I have lost faith that any company will ever do good in this world. Specially, if some consumers are ready to defend them.
Haven't noticed anyone defending Samsung, just some folks saying that people aren't entitled to a while bunch of free stuff above and beyond having their costs reimbursed. I see a huge difference between those two positions.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

They're not here to do good in the world though, they're literally here to sell a product a turn a profit. Recalls are extremely costly. And it's not just some faceless corporation. People are employed by them. If they start handing out free devices it's more than likely going to be followed by layoffs to recoup said money.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
If there was a phone out there that was even close to what the N7 has to offer, this would be easy. Like if this was iPhone 7, going back to the 6s would be easy - not that much difference.
The Note 5 might as well be from another mfgr for all the similarity it has to the N7.
So if I hang on to it for a while and it does burn up, I can still return it, right?

I think is my issue with current day Android. If I do want another galaxy phone, there are such gaps on software. Same line, but Samsung (and others) differentiate so much between software for devices, even though released same year. Apple can have a consistent experience, generally only differing on hardware (like cameras) between devices.

And I started on Android, from the Moto droid through the HTC m8. Went to apple due to some fitness goals I had and devices that only worked on apple, and stayed for a while. Wanted to come back to Android, but after the note 7 issues, realize some of the shortcomings. Yea, I know nexus gets updated more frequently, but such compromises in hardware.

If s7 edge had the grace UI I would consider another Samsung, but they don't, and no idea how many months till they do.

Not that apple is perfect, I'm not a zealot for any brand of manufacturer or os, but now that the note is gone, there aren't a lot of great options. If the iphone 7 failed, a very similar experience can be had on the 6s with some hardware compromises, I don't think that's a bad thing. Even though you lose ALOT of flexibility on iOS....

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is an economically feasible route for Samsung to take, as they are already suffering financially due to this recall. But an interesting idea nonetheless!

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
They're not here to do good in the world though, they're literally here to sell a product a turn a profit. Recalls are extremely costly. And it's not just some faceless corporation. People are employed by them. If they start handing out free devices it's more than likely going to be followed by layoffs to recoup said money.
I understand your point of view but lawsuits, freebies and so forth don't cause most corporations like Samsung to go belly up. Once again, in a situation like this I am not expecting a free phone but a voucher, a discount would not break a corporation like Samsung's bank. At this time people are probably getting laid off at Samsung but I hope not. This is one line of phone out of many that they have...and now 3 of their ancient lines/phones are selling just as fast and out of stock.
I guess what I am trying to say is that Samsung created a situation where both them and us are at a loss, it is in their best interest to help the customer get over the hill they created, it is in their best interest to help the customer not feel stung by the slap.
Yes corporations are here to do good....don't get mad when your boss doesn't want to give you a day off, don't get mad when they pass you up for a promotion you felt you deserved, don't get mad if your boss doesn't understand if your kid is sick....and I can go on. I don't wanna go in depth with the comparisons but it's either corporations are faceless or not.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I understand your point of view but lawsuits, freebies and so forth don't cause most corporations like Samsung to go belly up. Once again, in a situation like this I am not expecting a free phone but a voucher, a discount would not break a corporation like Samsung's bank.

It doesn't matter. Companies like Samsung--especially like Samsung--are not in business to lose money. At all. In fact, they want very much the direct opposite of losing any money.

At this point, Samsung is losing money--and they're losing a lot of it. It may be relatively little compared to how much they have in the bank, but they're going to do as much as they can to make sure they lose as little money as possible on this fiasco.

jackash0912

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I just want a loaner phone until the s8e or N8 comes out... I don't want to be stuck in a 2yr contract or be forced to buy an aging device because of their screw up. Let me use a s7e until the next device is released. I don't want the commitment to a s7e.. that's why I didn't buy one to begin with.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter. Companies like Samsung--especially like Samsung--are not in business to lose money. At all. In fact, they want very much the direct opposite of losing any money.

At this point, Samsung is losing money--and they're losing a lot of it. It may be relatively little compared to how much they have in the bank, but they're going to do as much as they can to make sure they lose as little money as possible on this fiasco.

Of course they are....but they can do right by the customer. And people saying that they can't or don't have to make it worse.
Before anyone says anything.....let's use this as an example: Let's not fight for corporations to stay in the US and not go overseas because we are losing meaningful jobs in this country. I mean after all their bottom line is to lose as little money as possible....right?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Let's not fight for corporations to stay in the US and not go overseas because we are losing meaningful jobs in this country. I mean after all their bottom line is to lose as little money as possible....right?

I'm not sure what the connection is with that example.

I'm fine with corporations staying in the US, but I also realize that means the cost of goods will likely increase. I already pay a lot for all sorts of clothing, shoes, etc. that are specifically made in the US, and I'm happy to do so. Most people, however, want to buy things as cheaply as possible. Businesses realize that, which means that if they are to continue making money, they have to move production out of the country if they're not going to raise prices.

People want to have it both ways, but I just don't think that's realistic.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Where?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just want a loaner phone until the s8e or N8 comes out... I don't want to be stuck in a 2yr contract or be forced to buy an aging device because of their screw up. Let me use a s7e until the next device is released. I don't want the commitment to a s7e.. that's why I didn't buy one to begin with.

I totally get where you are coming from. My solution, as you may have read in a different post, was to buy a refurbished 7edge from eBay to hold me over. I did not want to be in a device payment contact when the right phone (Note 8) comes around.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what the connection is with that example.

I'm fine with corporations staying in the US, but I also realize that means the cost of goods will likely increase. I already pay a lot for all sorts of clothing, shoes, etc. that are specifically made in the US, and I'm happy to do so. Most people, however, want to buy things as cheaply as possible. Businesses realize that, which means that if they are to continue making money, they have to move production out of the country if they're not going to raise prices.

People want to have it both ways, but I just don't think that's realistic.

Keep jobs in the U.S.
Apple don't even keep them here.

We have such Bad regulations and such strong EPa laws.
And such tough practices to even keep a business alive here with all the overhead.
The phones would be out of sight.

You ever owned a business and ran it very long. And seen how many people everywhere wants a piece of the pie.
Not to mention the government and insurance companies.

Revealed: Inside Apple's Chinese 'sweatshop' factory where workers are paid just £1.12 per hour | Daily Mail Online

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea where the US job argument is even in play since the phones are manufactured in Korea... their TVs and some computer parts are the only production that have plants in the US

ETA: companies have budgets, large companies like Samsung also have their separate divisions. Money they make on TVs isn't going to go to make up losses in the phone division. They'll just be like "hey, this division isn't profitable anymore how can we make it so?"

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea where the US job argument is even in play since the phones are manufactured in Korea... their TVs and some computer parts are the only production that have plants in the US

ETA: companies have budgets, large companies like Samsung also have their separate divisions. Money they make on TVs isn't going to go to make up losses in the phone division. They'll just be like "hey, this division isn't profitable anymore how can we make it so?"

Their phones are made in Korea, China and I think Vietnam.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
You ever owned a business and ran it very long. And seen how many people everywhere wants a piece of the pie.
Not to mention the government and insurance companies.

Exactly this. I work in commercial insurance. People don't realize the overhead cost of policies for companies this size.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Exactly this. I work in commercial insurance. People don't realize the overhead cost of policies for companies this size.

I realize very well about commercial insurance.
I also realize about licenses to do certain business.
Workmans comp.

I had a business for 19 yrs.
Not to mention Permits and building rent .
And the list goes on and on.

Thanks for your relpy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87