The only compromise I am willing to make

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azartrus

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
well its over. I cant keep a phone that is a liability to everyone around me. Good luck everyone
I am awaiting my firebox so i can send this back

vasic

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Samsung apparently announced today that anyone who bought Note 7 can return it and they will get a full refund, plus additional $100 if they decide to purchase a different Samsung phone. If not, they will get $25 (on top of a full refund).

For people who are on carrier plans, the picture is rather murky, since those involve annual contracts, trade-ins of older devices, special promotional discounts and all other sorts of incentives that carriers offer independently from Samsung, which makes it practically impossible for a consumer to figure out exactly what is their entitlement and how they can do this.

The main problem here is that, unlike pretty much ANY other product out there (a TV, a refrigerator, a car, a chainsaw...), which you pay for in full, or finance over a period of time (with a help of a bank), mobile phones are more often than not sold through this extremely opaque network of mobile carriers, who make every effort to obscure the exact amount of money the consumer actually paid for that phone by offering bundles with service, special 'early upgrade' plans (such as T-Mobile's "JUMP"), promotional offers and incentives, trade-in discounts, etc. When something like this recall happens, you as the consumer have absolutely no way of finding out exactly how much you are entitled to, how much of the retail value of your phone has been paid off, from the moment you got it until you returned it, what was the actual value of your trade-in when you purchased the recalled device, etc.

To all the Note 7 owners, good luck with this process.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Big inconvenience? Yes. Stress and strain? Talk to the folks in Haiti or the folks flooded out up and down the eastern seaboard and then come back with some perspective about stress and strain. Go visit a homeless shelter. Go to a morgue. A funeral. Your problem is that you allowed your self worth to be predicated on something as innocuous as a cell phone.

Yes, these people have life much worse than we do. But seriously, you have no reason, or right for that matter, to scold me when I am commenting on a phone and a business relationship in a phone forum.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Man I got the old S6 that I used a year and a half ago.
Its tough getting used to a phone with Wifi calling.
I get a lot of dropped calls if I don't use wifi calling.
Then having a phone or looking at a used phone that don't have wifi calling.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what the match is on lost customers vs. giving stuff away.

That's the key - right there.

"Full refund plus a Note 5" is obviously swinging the pendulum too far one way for Samsung, and "Full refund and naught else" is, while a reasonable limit to their liability, not going to please the majority of their previously-loyal customer base. No matter how you slice it, there have been costs/inconvenience incurred by customers, and while Samsung has no LEGAL liability to help with those costs, they face a potential loss of brand loyalty and future sales to a certain extent if they simply hit the reset button and don't throw some sort of "we messed up and you were inconvenienced, we're really REALLY sorry" bone to their customers.

Last I heard, they were offering
- Full "reset" (full refund if you bought outright and just want your money back, refund of difference and ability to buy new device subsidized if you want to start over with another device, etc).
- $100 bonus if you choose another Sammy product. $25 bonus if you choose someone else's product.
- Keep the accessories you may have gotten as a free gift (VR, headphones, whatever).

They would also do very well for their next couple of releases the S8 and the [whatever the Note 8 will be named] to say "bring the IMEI box label from any Note 7 in and get an additional $100 or so off the new model" as an additional incentive to get people back on-brand. That could be written off as a pretty standard incentive, and might be worth more money than it costs if it draws some folks who have left the brand back in.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
You know Samsung just had a hard time.
And has made everything good.
You lost very little money with Samsung.
But you want a free ride.
That is one of the things that is hard on Business.
Everybody wanting something for free.
I think Samsung should come out with a better phone.
And charge 1250.00 for it to make up for their loss.

Hows that sound.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You know Samsung just had a hard time.
And has made everything good.
You lost very little money with Samsung.
But you want a free ride.
That is one of the things that is hard on Business.
Everybody wanting something for free.
I think Samsung should come out with a better phone.
And charge 1250.00 for it to make up for their loss.

Hows that sound.

Sounds awful.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
You guys get your money back... I think they offered a $100 bucks off too right off a new Samsung so that's cool! If you don't use the $100 off and went with another phone, then you are gone anyways right so no need to do any more. :p I didn't read the offer but would be nice if that $100 doesn't expire and can be used for the next future Note phone.

People arguing about any more hassle gone through with the recall think of this... guys like me that stayed on the fence in buying... didn't even get a chance to play with it :(

You guys had one... two months... to own it, touch it, love it. :p

Isn't it better to have loved and lost, then never loved at all??? :-\

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Then and only then will I give up my note 7 (which is a liability for them as long as it is in my possession)

It will not be a liability to them because they have given clear publicized instructions to turn the phone off and bring it in to be replaced. If you chose to keep the phone and not follow the recall instructions then the liability falls on you. God forbid anything does happen to your phone and someone else gets hurt in the process. The only person to blame in that situation will be you and only you.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Note 7 is a liability for YOU as long as it's in your possession. Samsung has put forth a statement about powering off the Note 7 and sending it back. Samsung is covered legally. Samsung is moving forward and is not concerned with your heavy handed demand. If you get burned, I hope you have health insurance or any other insurance you'd need should any of your belongings become damaged due to your device burning up. You and your short sightedness will only have you to blame.

One thing to consider, should you keep your Note 7 and it does catch on fire and cause damage your insurance may not cover it. Reason I say that is Samsung told you to power down the device and get a refund or exchange it... basically stop using it but if you ignore their instructions then the insurance company could claim negligence on your part for not listening to the manufacturer and not cover the damages. If an insurance company can find a way to get out the claim, they are going to take it and save their company money.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
You guys get your money back... I think they offered a $100 bucks off too right off a new Samsung so that's cool! If you don't use the $100 off and went with another phone, then you are gone anyways right so no need to do any more. :p I didn't read the offer but would be nice if that $100 doesn't expire and can be used for the next future Note phone.

People arguing about any more hassle gone through with the recall think of this... guys like me that stayed on the fence in buying... didn't even get a chance to play with it :(

You guys had one... two months... to own it, touch it, love it. :p

Isn't it better to have loved and lost, then never loved at all??? :-\

It was Great and wonderful.
And I used it all day and most of the nite.

I was on it more than my computer.
I could hear the speakers too.
It was so good that I hate being without it.

Its gonna be a long wait for Samsung to come out with another note style phone
Samsung did what is right. And i'm not out of anything but the case I bought.
Which ain't bad.
I'd rather Samsung focus on making the next great phone.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
One thing to consider, should you keep your Note 7 and it does catch on fire and cause damage your insurance may not cover it. Reason I say that is Samsung told you to power down the device and get a refund or exchange it... basically stop using it but if you ignore their instructions then the insurance company could claim negligence on your part for not listening to the manufacturer and not cover the damages. If an insurance company can find a way to get out the claim, they are going to take it and save their company money.

What else is terrible is everybody worrying about if anybody else still wants to keep their phone.
Even if its for 2 months.
I liked the phone that much.
Both my note 7 worked great.
I miss both of them.
Feel terrible that I traded it in.
If I still worked I would of kept it till they cut it off.
I hate flying so no worry about getting on a plane with one.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It will not be a liability to them because they have given clear publicized instructions to turn the phone off and bring it in to be replaced. If you chose to keep the phone and not follow the recall instructions then the liability falls on you. God forbid anything does happen to your phone and someone else gets hurt in the process. The only person to blame in that situation will be you and only you.

It could fall pretty easily undergross negligence

n. carelessness in reckless disregard for the safety or lives of others, which is so great it appears to be a conscious violation of other people's rights to safety. It is more than simple inadvertence, but it is just shy of being intentionally evil. If one has borrowed or contracted to take care of another's property, then gross negligence is the failure to actively take the care one would of his/her own property. If gross negligence is found by the trier of fact (judge or jury), it can result in the award of punitive damages on top of general and special damages. (See: negligence, damages, punitive damages)

Gross negligence legal definition of gross negligence

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
They're already losing a huge amount of money with this recall (unless they have great recall coverage on their insurance policy). Giving free devices to everyone would only put them further in the hole.

This. Plus the majority of folks were able to apply for at least one of the promos, with some coming out with three. Samsung does not need to do anything else. They just need to hit a home run with the Galaxy S8 series.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I have gone back to my Note Edge for now. Something interesting is that there have been some ota updates beyond the MM update, I have discovered that Screen off notes is now an option. I really like 2 main things about the Note series if devices - Big screen and S-pen.

Cheers,
BR
**Really miss my N7**

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I just got a (supposedly, I'll know for sure when I receive it..) new open box 64gb Note 5 off eBay for $388. supposedly in what this vendor calls Excellent + condition. I imagine that enough people have come to the same conclusion... the Note 5 is really the only option for those of us needing S-pen.

It may be helpful to folks here if we all started posting what we're actually paying for N5's, if we're getting the item we described, etc.

Yes, I'm still reeling that I bought a Note 5... you know, the Note I said I would NEVER buy if Hades froze over because I want my IR blaster, removeable battery, microSD... yeah, that one... I bought that... <sigh...>

I'll wait until the Verizon LG v20 comes out. Then, I'll decide if I want to give the note 5 to my husband, jump ship to LG or... just ride the Note 5 until the Notate, Notation, Nate, N8, Crazy88, or whatever the heck they call it comes out... But... I'll probably ride the bleeding edge of technology for a year and stay with the Note 5. It hurts my soul.

<sigh...> if only the LG v20 had an S-pen... and the Edge screen... and all that super-sexy glass... and phenomenal camera... and always on display... and edge notifications...

honestly, the attachment I've had to this phone is a little unnatural... It's just a phone! and yet, I'm really upset about having to give back my Super Sexy Silver Sizzler! The only other time I've had such an attachment to a material object was a Firebird...

<mind begins to wander...> ...but it wasn't just any Firebird! It was a 2002, Fire Engine Red, 425 hp, Ram Air Trans Am Firebird with the WS-6 suspension package and 6-speed Hurst shifter and oversize, low profile tires... the sound when you fired her up... You could break the tires loose in 4th gear... The deep gray leather interior... The cockpit seat that literally molded to your body... It was so sexy...​

WHOA! I'm back now! LOL

But this is what that the GN7 was to me... someone else on here said, "It was too good... that's why we can't keep them..." or something to that effect. I agree.

When you're ready Sammy, I'll be waiting...

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I think once they notify you that the device is dangerous, and that their only advice is to immediately discontinue using the device in any way, they are no longer liable for any incident resulting from its further use. This would be particularly true if they could prove that you'd been duly notified. (And, frankly, if a consumer knowingly continues to use the product and is injured or suffers damages, then chooses to pursue Samsung, then that consumer is an opportunistic thief)

Now, who should pick up the cost of the units/replacement costs? That's debatable, but "the consumer" is not the right answer.

-Mark

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Then and only then will I give up my note 7 (which is a liability for them as long as it is in my possession)

I would rather keep my family, my house, personal property, garage, car ... whatever ... safe. No amount of liability on someone else can bring these things back if I had a phone that started a fire. Absolutely NO phone is worth that to me.

I also have trouble believing that a court of law would find a phone owner absolutely free of liability should something happen considering all the news and hype to shut down your N7 due to the risk. Samsung can say "We more than warned you." I think you might find yourself on the hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol