The only compromise I am willing to make

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I think once they notify you that the device is dangerous, and that their only advice is to immediately discontinue using the device in any way, they are no longer liable for any incident resulting from its further use. This would be particularly true if they could prove that you'd been duly notified. (And, frankly, if a consumer knowingly continues to use the product and is injured or suffers damages, then chooses to pursue Samsung, then that consumer is an opportunistic thief)

Now, who should pick up the cost of the units/replacement costs? That's debatable, but "the consumer" is not the right answer.

-Mark
How many phones were sold in the U.S
And how many caught on fire.
Really small percentage if you ask me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How many phones were sold in the U.S
And how many caught on fire.
Really small percentage if you ask me.

Regardless -- Just because they didn't explode doesn't mean they couldn't have (a.k.a haven't just yet) done it. I am sure Samsung wouldn't do a full cancel of a product unless they were even worried.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
A percentage point wouldn't matter if someone were visiting my house and their N7 exploded. Heaven forbid it caused significant damage and hurt my daughter. At this point with as much publicity it has had I would go after everything that person had.

It is simply because at this point that person would have intentionally put myself and my family at risk. A few weeks ago would have been different but not now.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
You guys get your money back... I think they offered a $100 bucks off too right off a new Samsung so that's cool! If you don't use the $100 off and went with another phone, then you are gone anyways right so no need to do any more. :p I didn't read the offer but would be nice if that $100 doesn't expire and can be used for the next future Note phone.

People arguing about any more hassle gone through with the recall think of this... guys like me that stayed on the fence in buying... didn't even get a chance to play with it :(

You guys had one... two months... to own it, touch it, love it. :p

Isn't it better to have loved and lost, then never loved at all??? :-\

I'm thinking about it from the other point of view. I am not asking Samsung for anything. They were fair in giving me my money back for the phone. I harbor no grudge, but I am not all warm and fuzzy about the experience either.

The other point of view, is how much is it worth to Samsung to keep a customer. That is what determines what they should do. Every customer has a different value over the course of the year. As folks switch out of their ecosystem, they lose dollars. Samsung knows their per customer value. That gives them a value of the customers they will lose due to the recall. Using that number, they can determine how much money they should spend to keep customers. With that thinking, it may be worth it to offer incentives to customers to stay. On the other hand, the price to keep a customer right now may just be too high (likely).

In my case, Samsung did not offer enough incentives to stay. I have ordered a Pixel, and I may be lost to them for an extended time due to that. I don't know my exact value to them over time, so I don't know if it is a good decision for them or not.

Either way, they will have to spend a lot more money over the coming years to get back customers that have been burned (not literally) by the Note 7.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
.....The world owes me nothing, but a sincere gesture by Samsung would go a long way.

100% agree, i also do not suffer from any "Entitlement Disorder" and feel The Note 5 was Samsung's best offering up until the Edge 7 was released, and even TODAY with its 4GB of RAM, its bigger screen and WITH S-Pen capabilities it can still run a few laps around the S7 Edge ...

If offered for a price of $299.00 to ALL Note 7 owners as a replacement, i think it could take the sting off of even the MOST disappointed Note 7 owner, given there isn't a device available that can match the Note 7's pros or CONS....The Note 5 is the ONLY phone that can run a close 2nd. Period.

Yes, they have already LOST a fortune, but sometimes you have to include a fix for "future loss of revenue" to stop the bleeding.

BTC

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
100% agree, i also do not suffer from any "Entitlement Disorder" and feel The Note 5 was Samsung's best offering up until the Edge 7 was released, and even TODAY with its 4GB of RAM, its bigger screen and WITH S-Pen capabilities it can still run a few laps around the S7 Edge ...

If offered for a price of $299.00 to ALL Note 7 owners as a replacement, i think it could take the sting off of even the MOST disappointed Note 7 owner, given there isn't a device available that can match the Note 7's pros or CONS....The Note 5 is the ONLY phone that can run a close 2nd. Period.

Yes, they have already LOST a fortune, but sometimes you have to include a fix for "future loss of revenue" to stop the bleeding.

BTC

What
I can get a note 5 for 299.00
What if I returned my phone already.

Who is this threw and how to you get it.

mhtsang

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Ditto, I already have a back up Note 5 so it doesn't work for me. On top of that there is no comparison to Note 7, I am not about to return it for anything despite the recall. This is my replacement Note7 & it is as good as the first one. Nothing wrong no overheat and great battery life. I am keeping mine.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
What

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but unless I missed something this was more (It would be awesome if....) I just ordered a used N5 from the bay. Going to get the Supcase for it since I loved on my N7.

Cheers,
BR

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I haven't checked the Note 5 forums... what is the word on Nougat on the Note 5? And I guess it wouldnt happen unless there was a Nougat upgrade but what do you think chances are Grace UI would be made available on the upgrade as well as the Note 7 pen tools, AOD and secured folder?

Recall messed up my chances of getting Note 7 at corporate pricing right now. I could use my corp acct connection to get an S7 or Edge for $199 or $299 but they really don't excite me that much. But out of curiousity I'm checking if our AT&T rep has any Note 5... and see what corp price is.

Otherwise My thought is... i have a phone in meantime... only 4 months so to wait to see what the S8 looks like and whether they would put the Note 7 features, as many as they can, on the S8 and decide from there what to do maybe hear if any rumors on Note 8.

What

MoonShade

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I agree that Samsung should have done more to keep us as customers.

The majority of the people who bought the N7 are either loyalists or those that will pay for the latest and greatest. These should be the customers that Samsung wants to keep.

Providing a phone (N5 or S7E) to use until the N8 is released or we decide to upgrade to a Samsung released before then would have been a great way to do it. Instead, we have to choose a phone that we'll be stuck with for 2 years (or most will be). There's a real chance that a lot of us will go to another manufacturer and never return to Samsung.

I for one and highly upset at their lack of care about keeping us as customers. There's no phone out there today that I want. I'm going to wait until I can get my hands on the Pixel and V20 and use a loaned iPhone 6S until then. Maybe I'll return to Sammy, likely not.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
They deserve to lose billions on this. They royally screwed up.

Between this and their judgments against them, hopefully they are looking at way to be honorable when doing business.

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree that Samsung should have done more to keep us as customers.

The majority of the people who bought the N7 are either loyalists or those that will pay for the latest and greatest. These should be the customers that Samsung wants to keep.

Providing a phone (N5 or S7E) to use until the N8 is released or we decide to upgrade to a Samsung released before then would have been a great way to do it. Instead, we have to choose a phone that we'll be stuck with for 2 years (or most will be). There's a real chance that a lot of us will go to another manufacturer and never return to Samsung.

I for one and highly upset at their lack of care about keeping us as customers. There's no phone out there today that I want. I'm going to wait until I can get my hands on the Pixel and V20 and use a loaned iPhone 6S until then. Maybe I'll return to Sammy, likely not.

About 6 months until the Next Big Thing Explosion...

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
That's unrealistic.

It is also unrealistic that I give up my previous phone for this specific phone. I did not want any other phone. I was content with what I had and this was THE one. It is unrealistic that now after returning it and wasting ridiculous amounts of time doing so I am asked to do it again. This time they are not able to give me a safe Note 7 OR the phone I traded back into VZ to make this Upgrade. Take a little money out of the corporate perks for all the execs at Samsung. Ground the dam corporate jet. I don't care. Take care of US. Time is money and I have wasted a crazy amount of time and about to waste some more on this return. NONE of this was our fault. It was Samsung's fault . They tried to get production out before the Iphone so they could profit more. Now it bit them in the hiney. Why should we not be compensated very well? This is a mess up of unseen proportions , our compensation should match.
I am surprised I have not seen the notices yet of class action suits.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I am confused though. I have received no email, no text, no call for this recall. Yet I'm told they will not cut my imei off if I keep the N7. They will charge me of coarse. Why can't Samsung reproduce the issue? Is it possible this is just a software issue that has to have some sort of trigger? Like an app causing run away?

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It is also unrealistic that I give up my previous phone for this specific phone. I did not want any other phone. I was content with what I had and this was THE one. It is unrealistic that now after returning it and wasting ridiculous amounts of time doing so I am asked to do it again. This time they are not able to give me a safe Note 7 OR the phone I traded back into VZ to make this Upgrade. Take a little money out of the corporate perks for all the execs at Samsung. Ground the dam corporate jet. I don't care. Take care of US. Time is money and I have wasted a crazy amount of time and about to waste some more on this return. NONE of this was our fault. It was Samsung's fault . They tried to get production out before the Iphone so they could profit more. Now it bit them in the hiney. Why should we not be compensated very well? This is a mess up of unseen proportions , our compensation should match.
I am surprised I have not seen the notices yet of class action suits.

I'd get on the phone with customer retentions and work something out so that you can get a refurb of the phone you traded in. Its absolutely fair that they do this because had the Note 7 not been released, you could argue that you would have held on to that device indefinitely. Work your way up the ladder at VZ and write letters if you have to.

Giving out new flagship devices (this years or last years) is not their gig and it wont happen. Unless you were one of those injured by a burning Note 7 prior to the official recall, don't expect to be compensated very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.