10-18-2016 07:44 AM
78 1234
tools
    I'm sure there is a good chance the Note line gets a new name next year. I also would not be surprised if the entire Galaxy line gets renamed. They don't want the new Note, whatever it's called, to have a different number than the rest of the Galaxies. They skipped 6 in order to keep them in line.

Non Samsung owners and media haven't been differentiating very well between the Note 7 and other Galaxy phones. It might be time to start fresh.

But, it would be difficult to kill a brand that they have been hugely successful in building.

Samsung executive is a job I would not want right now.
    10-14-2016 07:07 PM
    Maybe. I'm still not convinced that Samsung's name will be thoroughly tarnished from this. Will they be in a bit of trouble for a while, be under some intense media speculation and public criticism, and maybe have to swallow their pride a bit? Yes. But will this damage them long term? Doubtful. Phones have been exploding, catching fire, overheating, and getting security flaws and a whole slew of other problems for years; and it's never platform-specific. It's not fair for people to only criticize one device line when Apple has had issues too and did not try nearly as hard to deliver the kind of customer service Samsung is trying to achieve.

I think this will be difficult for them for a while, and then it will blow over; especially when they come out with a brand new phone that has all its T's crossed.
    10-14-2016 07:14 PM
    they will be alright.. Look at all the hover board fires... and they were a new company... And people still around here riding those...
    10-14-2016 07:30 PM
    Sorry but I just don't see us die hard sammies leaving. I can forgive this hiccup as long as they don't kill the note for good. New name fine. I would like for them to actually find the issue and tell us. Maybe we can salvage these beauties.
    10-14-2016 07:39 PM
    Sorry but I just don't see us die hard sammies leaving. I can forgive this hiccup as long as they don't kill the note for good. New name fine. I would like for them to actually find the issue and tell us. Maybe we can salvage these beauties.
    Exactly this. I don't care what they name it. I just need this awesome hardware and software. Nothing like it. I was explaining to my hubs why this is such a big deal. I fell in love all over again showing him its impressive abilities. All these years he had no clue why I was obsessed. Now he gets it and after telling him my options, he's ticked like me.
    10-14-2016 07:50 PM

I feel the same and have my Note2,4 & 5 till things get back to normal
    Hell Amazon has thousands of them new or refurbished all the way back to The Note, before they had numbers.
    I'll go back to a flip phone before I would use any apple product...
    10-14-2016 07:51 PM
    Samsung has a lot of ego. Though I've been with them a long time, I'm tired of their poor customer support. Getting them to listen, and to a long term customer on Android since the beginning, Sammy doesn't give a darn. And frankly, I no longer care about them or their products! If they're not going to get off their soap box full of ego, I will be done with them.

They were forced into the TWO recalls due to poor design or QC. Had they not been FORCED, Sammy would have done nothing.

I've been around business a long time and Sammy is a company that needs to embrace HUMILITY. Unfortunately in their industry and neck of the woods, humility does not come easily. It reflects weakness. And that's what Sammy needs to embrace... they screwed up! Get humble Samsung!

Grow up Sammy! ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    nj1266 likes this.
    10-14-2016 08:22 PM
    Especially since the CPSC just issued a full recall on Oct. 13th.
    The CPSC did not issue a recall. Samsung did. The CPSC has not concluded its investigation. The CPSC simply echoed the recall. Follow the links to the CPSC website, or search the CPSC website. This has been entirely voluntary on behalf of Samsung.
    10-14-2016 08:25 PM
    I agree with your statement. I disagree with the misinformation AndroidCentral has filtered out all over the internet claiming that the CPSC was the one who issued the recall. Take a look around, there are multiple sources quoting this article: CPSC issues second Galaxy Note 7 recall โ€” 23 new fires involving replacement Notes | Android Central While the media machine has once again claimed victory, its just not true.

Is the Note 7 dead? Yes, and in large part due to that article and others linked to and from it.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    10-14-2016 08:55 PM
    The flight ban is a new level of long-term hurt. Kiss any aspirations of gaining market share in the business / professional enterprise segment. That is over. If Samsung puts sealed batteries in their next devices, they are going to lose potential sales. They need to get off the forced two year retirement model strategy of Apple and gain consumer confidence back.

A lot of People will have second thoughts and no peace of mind with a sealed battery from Samsung.
    10-14-2016 08:55 PM
    Mod Note - please keep the political discussion out of this area. We have a dedicated section for that in the Android Central Lounge if you want to discuss that. Thanks!
    10-14-2016 09:07 PM
    It won't be on the news forever but it will be back in the news when the S8 is launched..... You can bet on that
    Maybe. It'll be brought up like crazy in tech blogs. But on actual TV news that the general public watches? We'll see. I guess it might happen, I just don't see CNN running Note 7 battery stories in March 2017, but I guess stranger things have happened.
    10-14-2016 09:39 PM
    If LG gets it stuff together it could replace Sammy as top brand.
    Delirious D likes this.
    10-14-2016 10:27 PM
    Let's be honest. If that does happen, it will be because of
    marketing, not features.
    Delirious D likes this.
    10-14-2016 11:00 PM
    The flight ban is a new level of long-term hurt. Kiss any aspirations of gaining market share in the business / professional enterprise segment. That is over. If Samsung puts sealed batteries in their next devices, they are going to lose potential sales. They need to get off the forced two year retirement model strategy of Apple and gain consumer confidence back.

A lot of People will have second thoughts and no peace of mind with a sealed battery from Samsung.
    How are they on the Apple strategy?
    10-14-2016 11:02 PM
    Samsung has a lot of ego. Though I've been with them a long time, I'm tired of their poor customer support. Getting them to listen, and to a long term customer on Android since the beginning, Sammy doesn't give a darn. And frankly, I no longer care about them or their products! If they're not going to get off their soap box full of ego, I will be done with them.

They were forced into the TWO recalls due to poor design or QC. Had they not been FORCED, Sammy would have done nothing.

I've been around business a long time and Sammy is a company that needs to embrace HUMILITY. Unfortunately in their industry and neck of the woods, humility does not come easily. It reflects weakness. And that's what Sammy needs to embrace... they screwed up! Get humble Samsung!

Grow up Sammy! ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    What do they need to do to be humble?
    tadpoles and Shadowyugi like this.
    10-14-2016 11:02 PM
    Honestly., I agree. They need better marketing though.
    10-14-2016 11:09 PM
    No doubt, there is media bias against Samsung.

I guess America really doesn't want foreign manufacturers to succeed here.

Let's hope Samsung's PR employees are more competent than their engineers.
    I would think the media will pounce on any company or anyone to increase viewership, just that this case is unfortunately Samsung.
    10-14-2016 11:14 PM
    It won't be on the news forever but it will be back in the news when the S8 is launched..... You can bet on that
    I will even bet the S8 will "catch fire" also. Too easy to create fear now.
    10-14-2016 11:16 PM
    When Samsung markets the S8, they should show short clips of each Galaxy, from the original to the S7 before introducing the latest.

This will remind folks of the evolution, reliability and safety of the S line.
    tadpoles likes this.
    10-14-2016 11:39 PM

ehh is anything really american. seems like everything is manufactured over seas.
    saw an "american quilt" the other day. turned the packaged over says made in china.
    Carlo Villa likes this.
    10-15-2016 12:24 AM
    I think Samsung has built up an enormously valuable brand and this negative hit is obviously going to hurt badly. How badly is the question? The monetary costs have already been huge. Stock devaluation, costs to stop productions and recall, loss in brand value etc. Sadly I fear Samsung has left a giant opening for Apple and other competitors here. They have to move at top speed to resolve this issue and restore customer confidence. I an waiting to see how it goes.
    10-15-2016 12:28 AM
    This is something the company will just have to deal with the next few years, and fight their way back from.

I don't feel sorry for them, nor do I care if people make fun of the fact that I own a Samsung device.

I kind of like sitting back and watching where they go from here. But I don't let the media dictate my feelings on anything. Certainly not this.
    Agreed - though at what cost?

These recalls possibly will yield a shift in the industry of the major suppliers, especially if Samsung makes another mistake....

The media certainly drives much of the initial perception through stories like earlier today... however, as we all know the more something is stated over and over, the more those statements are perceived to be true (even when we know they aren't).

I've noticed recently the alarming messaging trend indicating that all/most Samsung phones are unsafe...

Samsung certainly has the ability to come back from this ... but like with the first recall, with little or no communication or updates outlining their plans to find and resolve the issue ... the entire line of phones are starting to be called into question.
    10-15-2016 01:02 AM
    I agree with your statement. I disagree with the misinformation AndroidCentral has filtered out all over the internet claiming that the CPSC was the one who issued the recall. Take a look around, there are multiple sources quoting this article: CPSC issues second Galaxy Note 7 recall โ€” 23 new fires involving replacement Notes | Android Central While the media machine has once again claimed victory, its just not true.

Is the Note 7 dead? Yes, and in large part due to that article and others linked to and from it.
    You're free to interpret things as you see fit, but the FAA, the DOT, US Customs and the NTSB all consider it a government sanctioned recall.

And i don;t quite understand why people would want a news outlet to not talk about the news, or why Android Central reporting what Samsung has acknowledged as true becomes bias. Pretending that anyone here or at another website has any vendetta against a company is silly. This is a job. We do what we need to do, sometimes what we like to do, and what we're asked to do by the people who visit. None of us care about anything Samsung says or does outside of that capacity. We would have done the same thing had it been LG, and the only difference is the names of the people here in the forums who were saying we were biased and part of some mysterious problem.

Samsung goofed. It happened. We told you what was happening, and what Samsung and other companies/agencies involved had to say about it.

I gave Samsung credit where it's due. They once again advised folks to return the phones before being told to do so by a government agency. I think that's the right move when you feel the product has too high of a failure rate and it's a move to save money in the long run and to prevent a serious incident. Other than that, the entire incident is Samsung's "fault" because if note 7s hadn't been blowing up at a rate every company who makes phones feels is unacceptable, nobody would be talking about it
    tadpoles, jj2339, ajb1965 and 4 others like this.
    10-15-2016 01:30 AM

They need to ban the iPhone too. I mean who would be comfortable knowing someone was carrying a device so dangerous it has been REPORTED it spontaneously explodes even when off?

The iPhone is DANGEROUS people. Ban it! I read about it in the news:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...des-class.html
    10-15-2016 05:21 AM
78 1234