Even further damage to the Samsung Brand/Name?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has a lot of ego. Though I've been with them a long time, I'm tired of their poor customer support. Getting them to listen, and to a long term customer on Android since the beginning, Sammy doesn't give a darn. And frankly, I no longer care about them or their products! If they're not going to get off their soap box full of ego, I will be done with them.

They were forced into the TWO recalls due to poor design or QC. Had they not been FORCED, Sammy would have done nothing.

I've been around business a long time and Sammy is a company that needs to embrace HUMILITY. Unfortunately in their industry and neck of the woods, humility does not come easily. It reflects weakness. And that's what Sammy needs to embrace... they screwed up! Get humble Samsung!

Grow up Sammy! 😎

What do they need to do to be humble?

Last edited:

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
No doubt, there is media bias against Samsung.

I guess America really doesn't want foreign manufacturers to succeed here.

Let's hope Samsung's PR employees are more competent than their engineers.

I would think the media will pounce on any company or anyone to increase viewership, just that this case is unfortunately Samsung.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
When Samsung markets the S8, they should show short clips of each Galaxy, from the original to the S7 before introducing the latest.

This will remind folks of the evolution, reliability and safety of the S line.

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

ehh is anything really american. seems like everything is manufactured over seas.
saw an "american quilt" the other day. turned the packaged over says made in china.

grob9642

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I think Samsung has built up an enormously valuable brand and this negative hit is obviously going to hurt badly. How badly is the question? The monetary costs have already been huge. Stock devaluation, costs to stop productions and recall, loss in brand value etc. Sadly I fear Samsung has left a giant opening for Apple and other competitors here. They have to move at top speed to resolve this issue and restore customer confidence. I an waiting to see how it goes.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
This is something the company will just have to deal with the next few years, and fight their way back from.

I don't feel sorry for them, nor do I care if people make fun of the fact that I own a Samsung device.

I kind of like sitting back and watching where they go from here. But I don't let the media dictate my feelings on anything. Certainly not this.

Agreed - though at what cost?

These recalls possibly will yield a shift in the industry of the major suppliers, especially if Samsung makes another mistake....

The media certainly drives much of the initial perception through stories like earlier today... however, as we all know the more something is stated over and over, the more those statements are perceived to be true (even when we know they aren't).

I've noticed recently the alarming messaging trend indicating that all/most Samsung phones are unsafe...

Samsung certainly has the ability to come back from this ... but like with the first recall, with little or no communication or updates outlining their plans to find and resolve the issue ... the entire line of phones are starting to be called into question.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree with your statement. I disagree with the misinformation AndroidCentral has filtered out all over the internet claiming that the CPSC was the one who issued the recall. Take a look around, there are multiple sources quoting this article: CPSC issues second Galaxy Note 7 recall — 23 new fires involving replacement Notes | Android Central While the media machine has once again claimed victory, its just not true.

Is the Note 7 dead? Yes, and in large part due to that article and others linked to and from it.

You're free to interpret things as you see fit, but the FAA, the DOT, US Customs and the NTSB all consider it a government sanctioned recall.

And i don;t quite understand why people would want a news outlet to not talk about the news, or why Android Central reporting what Samsung has acknowledged as true becomes bias. Pretending that anyone here or at another website has any vendetta against a company is silly. This is a job. We do what we need to do, sometimes what we like to do, and what we're asked to do by the people who visit. None of us care about anything Samsung says or does outside of that capacity. We would have done the same thing had it been LG, and the only difference is the names of the people here in the forums who were saying we were biased and part of some mysterious problem.

Samsung goofed. It happened. We told you what was happening, and what Samsung and other companies/agencies involved had to say about it.

I gave Samsung credit where it's due. They once again advised folks to return the phones before being told to do so by a government agency. I think that's the right move when you feel the product has too high of a failure rate and it's a move to save money in the long run and to prevent a serious incident. Other than that, the entire incident is Samsung's "fault" because if note 7s hadn't been blowing up at a rate every company who makes phones feels is unacceptable, nobody would be talking about it

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

They need to ban the iPhone too. I mean who would be comfortable knowing someone was carrying a device so dangerous it has been REPORTED it spontaneously explodes even when off?

The iPhone is DANGEROUS people. Ban it! I read about it in the news:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...des-class.html

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I believe Samsung is dead in the US and Europe. And it's not just the the phones - he washing machines and possibly the TVs as well. The brand has never had the best reputation here, but now they're done.

Dominator81

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I think Samsung will be OK in the long run. Despite this major issue with the Note, Samsung makes really good phones. Plus they do listen to their customers- they gave free SD cards to everyone that wanted one following all the complaints of the Note 5 not having an SD slot

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
First off not all reports paned out to be the N7 but were reported as. How would you know that 100+ iPhones have not caught fire if it's not being reported? The end of the N7 was a PR move.

Yes, there were some reports that were erroneously listed as Note 7, but in the first go around Samsung received 90+ reports in the US alone. In this day and age I find it highly unlikely that any manufacturer with millions of devices deployed could shield themselves from the media if an outbreak of similar reported issues occurred. There are too many consumer outlets (Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, etc) for end users to voice issues. Most all news outlets have dedicated staff that follow social media, there's little chance something like that could be swept under the rug.

To think otherwise is silly conspiracy theory rhetoric. Apple is big but they are not beyond media criticism (bendgate, antennagate, touch disease). Trust me they get their fair share.

treedabl

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe Samsung is dead in the US and Europe. And it's not just the the phones - he washing machines and possibly the TVs as well. The brand has never had the best reputation here, but now they're done.
You're delusional if you think Samsung is dead over this. Exactly which company would fill the vacuum if Samsung were to leave the US market?

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

This sounds more like wishful thinking. You want them to be dead.

Is Toyota dead? Honda? If their reputation is so horrible, why are consumers still purchasing the S7 and S7 Edge?

I think this Samsung is done thing is so premature and over dramatic. Are they taking a big hit from this? Yes. Are they damaged as a brand? Probably. Do consumers has short attention spans? You bet.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
No one seems to know Samsung makes chips that go into the iPhone do they? I believe they can fix the issue and stay alive. I will always buy Samsung first. I use to be diehard apple but I couldn't do everything I needed to do with the iPhone so I switched after the 5s. This whole thing has been blown way out of proportion imo.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung brand name isn't going to be ruined over this (I don't think). They have a lot to get over after this, but it's very possible for them to remain a fixture in the smartphone world. That's why the next generation of devices need to be their best, both in terms of hardware/software design and quality control.

When the elephant in the room makes a mistake everyone takes notice - including mainstream media. More so when you have Government agencies responding in the way they have with the Note 7.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
If that were the case why not bash them long ago? They have been around a while.. They made a mistake and are paying for it. Simple as that.

Right. Exactly. Plus, as many pointed out long before they made the decision to halt production, the Note 7 was irreparably damaged as a brand and it had the risk of dragging down Sammie with it. Many commentators pointed out that they just needed to get on with it, cancel the product and announce an early start for the Note 8. The exact harm that commentators thought would happen has happened--instead of being a passing incident, it kept getting reinforced in the consumer mind. You don't really want your phone to be the one airlines won't accept, do you? That's an association that is hard to shake. Six months later a newbie purchaser won't remember what phone was the problem, only that it was Samsung's.

I think they still have a chance to recover from this. But it isn't going to be easy and the Note 8 needs to be absolutely perfect.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
This sounds more like wishful thinking. You want them to be dead.

Is Toyota dead? Honda? If their reputation is so horrible, why are consumers still purchasing the S7 and S7 Edge?

I think this Samsung is done thing is so premature and over dramatic. Are they taking a big hit from this? Yes. Are they damaged as a brand? Probably. Do consumers has short attention spans? You bet.

Were 40% of the population driving Toyotas? Heck no. There's a difference between a product flaw affecting a small percentage of users and one affecting almost every other person on the planet, either directly or through media influence.

Samsung was already forced to cease selling computers in Europe because their reputation had ruined their business. I predict that phones will be next. There are a lot of companies waiting to fill the void: Huawei springs to mind, Apple obviously and now Google as well. As far as TV and entertainment goes: there are a variety of companies active on these sectors and frankly, most people don't care whether they have a Samsung, an LG, a Sony, a Panasonic or any other brand of TV standing around as long as the picture is good and it runs Netflix.

Let's not forget that the Note7 is by far not the only Samsung product that led to bad press: burning washing machines spring to mind, as well as reports of S7s burning. Then there's the issue of slow updates etc.

And one thing is crystal clear: if the S8 isn't one high-performing, perfect powerhouse, it won't sell. And if the only flagship doesn't sell, then its over in the phone sector. I'm sure they'll somehow stick around selling feature phones and other entry-level devices.