Even further damage to the Samsung Brand/Name?

Rosesrread1

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Meh. It's the worst part of the storm now. I think a lof of folks forget just how short people's attention spans are nowadays in our world.

It seems bad now if you're a Samsung fan, but sooner rather than later, it will be forgotten by the general public (though not in forums like these). It won't won't be on the news forever (or probably at all a month from now), but it is a hot topic now for sure, and I don't understand why anyone would expect it not to be in the news. It's a big deal (NOW anyway).

Weren't there knock offs, and some that found a way around changing the white to green icon? I also remember reading Samsung tried creating senarios to cause explosions, none did . Giving up my 7 I can't do. I pre-ordered and own it. I'd rather put it in a fire proof metal box and keep it for posterity . Looking at it makes me sad . I opted for a Note 5. Under the circumstances I'm happier having the 5 than I would be with anything else. I can't give up my SPen, (unless it's not brought back which I doubt), & after getting used to it not being my beautiful 7, I love it. I wasn't expecting it to be as FAST and smooth at it is. I immediately received 2 back to back updates & I'm hoping now that the 5 is the latest working Note it will receive more attention & updates than it normally would have. I think they'd want to keep their loyal Note followers as pacified as possible so they move on to the 8. I think they'll come back from this strong by way of Note 8 (or whatever name it may be given) being everything the 7was minus the unknowns . I'll be 1st on line.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
It will start being less relevant and people will stop talking about it, the distraction with the election and all of the claims coming out I don't think it will take too long before we stop hearing about it.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
This - I expect that there will be quite a number of eyes when the S8 opens the doors for sales and the news will be looking for any inkling that there's battery troubles afoot...

BustA Groove

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
If that were the case why not bash them long ago? They have been around a while.. They made a mistake and are paying for it. Simple as that.

I think if they would be more upfront about the Note 7 issues and worked with the CPSC the first go round, maybe their rep wouldn't get some dinged. It also didn't help that the carriers put up resistance when people tried to exchange on the first and second recalls.

Allnicksgone

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure there is a good chance the Note line gets a new name next year. I also would not be surprised if the entire Galaxy line gets renamed. They don't want the new Note, whatever it's called, to have a different number than the rest of the Galaxies. They skipped 6 in order to keep them in line.

Non Samsung owners and media haven't been differentiating very well between the Note 7 and other Galaxy phones. It might be time to start fresh.

But, it would be difficult to kill a brand that they have been hugely successful in building.

Samsung executive is a job I would not want right now.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe. I'm still not convinced that Samsung's name will be thoroughly tarnished from this. Will they be in a bit of trouble for a while, be under some intense media speculation and public criticism, and maybe have to swallow their pride a bit? Yes. But will this damage them long term? Doubtful. Phones have been exploding, catching fire, overheating, and getting security flaws and a whole slew of other problems for years; and it's never platform-specific. It's not fair for people to only criticize one device line when Apple has had issues too and did not try nearly as hard to deliver the kind of customer service Samsung is trying to achieve.

I think this will be difficult for them for a while, and then it will blow over; especially when they come out with a brand new phone that has all its T's crossed.

u71n4444

May 21, 2010
Visit site
they will be alright.. Look at all the hover board fires... and they were a new company... And people still around here riding those...

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but I just don't see us die hard sammies leaving. I can forgive this hiccup as long as they don't kill the note for good. New name fine. I would like for them to actually find the issue and tell us. Maybe we can salvage these beauties.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but I just don't see us die hard sammies leaving. I can forgive this hiccup as long as they don't kill the note for good. New name fine. I would like for them to actually find the issue and tell us. Maybe we can salvage these beauties.

Exactly this. I don't care what they name it. I just need this awesome hardware and software. Nothing like it. I was explaining to my hubs why this is such a big deal. I fell in love all over again showing him its impressive abilities. All these years he had no clue why I was obsessed. Now he gets it and after telling him my options, he's ticked like me.

jvak55

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site

I feel the same and have my Note2,4 & 5 till things get back to normal
Hell Amazon has thousands of them new or refurbished all the way back to The Note, before they had numbers.
I'll go back to a flip phone before I would use any apple product...

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Samsung has a lot of ego. Though I've been with them a long time, I'm tired of their poor customer support. Getting them to listen, and to a long term customer on Android since the beginning, Sammy doesn't give a darn. And frankly, I no longer care about them or their products! If they're not going to get off their soap box full of ego, I will be done with them.

They were forced into the TWO recalls due to poor design or QC. Had they not been FORCED, Sammy would have done nothing.

I've been around business a long time and Sammy is a company that needs to embrace HUMILITY. Unfortunately in their industry and neck of the woods, humility does not come easily. It reflects weakness. And that's what Sammy needs to embrace... they screwed up! Get humble Samsung!

Grow up Sammy! 😎

chrisnosleep

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Especially since the CPSC just issued a full recall on Oct. 13th.

The CPSC did not issue a recall. Samsung did. The CPSC has not concluded its investigation. The CPSC simply echoed the recall. Follow the links to the CPSC website, or search the CPSC website. This has been entirely voluntary on behalf of Samsung.

chrisnosleep

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree with your statement. I disagree with the misinformation AndroidCentral has filtered out all over the internet claiming that the CPSC was the one who issued the recall. Take a look around, there are multiple sources quoting this article: CPSC issues second Galaxy Note 7 recall — 23 new fires involving replacement Notes | Android Central While the media machine has once again claimed victory, its just not true.

Is the Note 7 dead? Yes, and in large part due to that article and others linked to and from it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The flight ban is a new level of long-term hurt. Kiss any aspirations of gaining market share in the business / professional enterprise segment. That is over. If Samsung puts sealed batteries in their next devices, they are going to lose potential sales. They need to get off the forced two year retirement model strategy of Apple and gain consumer confidence back.

A lot of People will have second thoughts and no peace of mind with a sealed battery from Samsung.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mod Note - please keep the political discussion out of this area. We have a dedicated section for that in the Android Central Lounge if you want to discuss that. Thanks!

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It won't be on the news forever but it will be back in the news when the S8 is launched..... You can bet on that

Maybe. It'll be brought up like crazy in tech blogs. But on actual TV news that the general public watches? We'll see. I guess it might happen, I just don't see CNN running Note 7 battery stories in March 2017, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The flight ban is a new level of long-term hurt. Kiss any aspirations of gaining market share in the business / professional enterprise segment. That is over. If Samsung puts sealed batteries in their next devices, they are going to lose potential sales. They need to get off the forced two year retirement model strategy of Apple and gain consumer confidence back.

A lot of People will have second thoughts and no peace of mind with a sealed battery from Samsung.

How are they on the Apple strategy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool