Is anyone here planning on keeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Turned mine in to BB today and back to my Note 4. Reset the N4 to stock, updated to Marshmallow 6.01, reinstalled my apps and just got a new 6440mah extended battery. The device is fast and did not expect it. Have not used beyond VR for the past year and expected a big let down. Nope, seems just as fast in UI, plus LTE and wifi reception are both better than the Note 7. Especially LTE signal.

Another bonus is I prefer the Note 4 display. Looks great and flat, so no side distortion. Still surprised how folks like the Edge. It has twice the side distortion on the display.

Though half the internal storage space of the Note 7, the 256GB card works fine.

Part of my motivation for now is my flights in the next few weeks. I am betting the N7 gets banned beyond just shutting it off. Steps are also apparently in place to essentially kill as many of the devices in the next few months with a stealth update.

I am on Verizon, so not expecting a same time release for the V20. They have Pixels in their eyes right now.
It just got banned from being on board a plane now. It will be confiscated.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm a gadget geek as much as the next person. I typically buy every flagship to try it out. iPhone or android. But I'm sorry, no phone is worth this hassle. Most people are going to do the same thing on any phone they have: social media, texting, email, music, games. Using the same apps that you always use. Sure I get it the note has more features than most phones in one device but none of those things are critical to the things most do day to day. You're putting everyone at risk around you by keeping the device. It's not just you. Everywhere you take the device, you immediately put those around you at risk. It's unfortunate that it's come to this but no phone is worth this. No one phone.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Umm no. Maybe 20%.

Depends on what you weight:

No file drag and drop

No true OTG

No theme customization in apps or UI

No emulators

No sd slot for more media storage

No 3.5 jack with 7P

No Flash

Some people do not care about that stuff, so no harm no foul and the iPhone is a great fit.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The flight ban was the final word for me since I do have to travel. Even if I didn't travel, I wouldn't want to be locked down in the event there was unexpected travel. Pulling the SIM card and putting it in my old GS7edge, and will just wait for the next best thing. I have a secondary phone which is still an iPhone6, but I don't think I could ever make it my primary go-to phone. It's just way too limiting to me for every day use.

I thought about going back to my Note4, but I like the camera on the GS7edge more so I'll stick with it.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Depends on what you weight:

No file drag and drop

No true OTG

No theme customization in apps or UI

No emulators

No sd slot for more media storage

No 3.5 jack with 7P

No Flash

Some people do not care about that stuff, so no harm no foul and the iPhone is a great fit.

Most of those are worthless reasons.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
That was my plan until the absolute flight ban. No harm no foul though:

1. Free 256gb card (works great in Note 4)

2. Note 4 has some positives over the Note 7. Signal reception a biggie.

3. Note 4 is like a new device after resetting and installing Marshmallow

4. Saved $890

That's my spin anyway :)

How is the signal on the Note 4? I'm talking to a guy who has one for sale on eBay. The funny thing is the guy lives in the same city as I do. Rather having it shipped I may meet in a public place to pick it up.

pdangcil

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
The DOT flight ban is the final coffin. And the fact that there will NOT be any updates in the future. Also, I've read somewhere that the carriers may block the IEMI number.
I'm at a loss on what to get though. I love the camera on this thing so an S7 Edge will probably the best bet. However, the iPhone looks lovely too!

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Just a little longer waiting for the LG V20 to hit in 2 weeks. Not going backwards or smaller with an S7. The Google Pixel looks too much like an Iphone on the front and no sd card so thats out.
I said the same thing in the beginning about the Pixel XL, But with 128GB and unlimited storage I think that I will be alright without the MicroSd. I like the LG-V20 also. I will use a Stylus with what ever phone I get!

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
This was one case where I was glad that I didn't jump early, but now have to work out what I'll do before the next Note blows in...

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I just checked Ebay and there a pages and pages of listings for the Note 7!!!!!! There are even bids. One stooge is asking $5000 so he can get a new phone and have money to buy a ring for his girlfriend. Unreal.

Edit. It was to pay off debt, not to buy a new phone!!!:p

I really don't understand why anyone would want to keep these devices indefinitely or even paying these types of exorbitant prices for what will be very shortly a dead brick.

I certainly understand waiting a few weeks until the upcoming new phones come out later this month. But beyond that - what's the point?

It's now banned on all flights with extensive penalties (financial and judicial) if you're caught with one ...

To mitigate further lawsuits from this new ban - I'd expect we will see cell service blocked for all N7s in the very near future as well.

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I really don't understand why anyone would want to keep these devices indefinitely or even paying these types of exorbitant prices for what will be very shortly a dead brick.

I certainly understand waiting a few weeks until the upcoming new phones come out later this month. But beyond that - what's the point?

It's now banned on all flights with extensive penalties (financial and judicial) if you're caught with one ...

To mitigate further lawsuits from this new ban - I'd expect we will see cell service blocked for all N7s in the very near future as well.
All of the above, plus why would one want to put themselves and everybody around them at risk? A company doesn't volunteer to lose that much money "just because". Keeping it and using it just seems selfish and foolish to me.

Last edited:

Jarvis73

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Come 12 Noon the DOT BANNED the Note 7 can't have it on an airplane don't be foolish sure it sucks but don't get your butt in a sling over a phone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18