What Replacement Phone Have You Decided On?

CP414

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
There's no REPLACING the Note 7 imo.

I got a Honor 8 and a Pixel since the recalls started/device was killed off, and I still use a Nexus 6P.

While each are good devices, I'd still rather have my N7 back

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The Note 7 will always cater a special niche to anyone wanting to use a pen... there basically is no other phone that has a pen. Now I think Apple should on all phones just put in the screen needed to use their pen and just enable their pen feature that is probably hidden in iOS that they have for their iPad Pro... that will be the real equivalent to the Note series.

With that said, it's funny the S7 Edge is pretty much the Note 7 without pen... but I have no desire for a S7E and rather look at other phones like the V20 or 1+3T or basically wait to see what Samsung has for next year.

There's no REPLACING the Note 7 imo.

I got a Honor 8 and a Pixel since the recalls started/device was killed off, and I still use a Nexus 6P.

While each are good devices, I'd still rather have my N7 back

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Funny thing is that in Korea they sell a smaller version of V20 with identical specs but... it's water resistant lol. Maybe they will incorporate that in the V30 next year. That would be make the phone more attractive buy while retaining removeable battery.

The V20 is way better in every aspect except being water resistant.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Funny the iPhone 7 doesn't interest me at all because of it's size... but the V20, being slightly bigger in every dimension, I'd prefer over the i7. The screen real estate is impressive... noticeably larger than i7. Also had fun waking the screen with double tap that I missed from my G3 and I liked the UI and the features you mentioned are nice. Nothing wrong with iOS but I wouldn't mind going back to Android.

WOuld you say the v20 is better than the iPhone 7 Plus? It seems to have a lot more features, Android, removeble battery, camera, SD card slot, IR blaster. Iphone 7 water resistant but that seems to be the only advantage.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I sold my note 5 about a week after having the 7, when returning N7 there were no Note 5s available from Verizon. Man, what a fantastic device the note 7 was... Screen, Samsung Pay, Sidesync, SD for video capture, iris making it easier to use with 1 hand, etc. The freaking S pen - holy crap do I miss that. If you need to log into a computer which has an OS/environment that uses the mouse as a primary input device, the S pen is _incredible_. Also, the best PDF machine ever :)

Battery was pretty decent as well. I also happen to like Gear VR and the theme store.

All that being said... The Pixel XL I've had for almost a month (while lacking in some areas - which are covered in extreme all over the review sites), as a whole: The Best Android Device Available.

The software experience is so far in the lead, every other device's user experience seems embarrassing in comparison. To me, it's the closest to competing with the best parts of iOS that Android has ever been. I prefer it more than any other mobile device to date.

Once you also factor in the supposedly unlimited image and video storage, live 24/7 chat/voice support (with the ability for you to allow them to see/control your phone while talking to the rep) - it's a rather solid (confidence in support, inducing) experience.

We should all hope that future Android devices strive to be more and more like the current Pixels.

is google tech support better to deal with compared to Samsung and LG support which most people seem to hate?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I meant it's better than the iBone lol

Well of course! It seems a lot of us are going to the V20 who had the Note. I love the flat screen a lot better than the Note 7 and Edge. I hope the Note 8 has a flat screen. I have no use for the Edge features at all. It just cuts down on the amount of usable screen real estate.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Well of course! It seems a lot of us are going to the V20 who had the Note. I love the flat screen a lot better than the Note 7 and Edge. I hope the Note 8 has a flat screen. I have no use for the Edge features at all. It just cuts down on the amount of usable screen real estate.
I have a Note 5 so I don't know what it feels like to have an edge screened phone for my daily driver. I see a lot of people who don't like it.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I liked the edge screen on the Note 7, but the one on the S7 Edge was an immediate turn off when I returned the Note 7 so went to Note 5.

sean8102

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
After swapping the N7 for the S7 edge when the N7 was killed, I ended up swapping my S7 Edge for the V20 as soon as it was available at my AT&T store (about a day or 2 before my 14 day exchange period was up).

I've loved it, zero regrets about getting it. I like the flat screen better, but do kind of wish it was AMOLED. It's a beautiful display no doubt but I def have a preference for AMOLED. I also find my self using the second screen far more than I thought I would. I love using it for multitasking and jumping between apps. Also nice being able to view messages/notifications while playing a game or watching a fullscreen video without it taking up any of the main display. The software and UX are great IMO. Last LG I had was the G4 and LG has seriously cleaned up its UX since then. It's so much cleaner and less cluttered (they finally cleaned up the notification panel/quick toggles!). They also added a real theme engine that is as extensive as Samsungs. Themes can modify icons,UI like quick toggles/notification panel, settings app, all stock LG apps (phone, messaging, calendar, music, quick remote, etc), the LG widgets, and the LG keyboard. So far the themes LG have released have been kinda ugly/bad IMO, but thankfully the themes are packaged as regular old APK files and people over at XDA have known how to create their own since launch. So you can find ~8-10 themes in the play store already and they install and work just like regular themes from LG and there are some nice ones. Here are the links to the devs I've found so far that are releasing themes on a regular basis. Vector, Dark Material, and Remix are my favs so far.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e/apps/developer?id=markbencze&token=grSJCdzM
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tore/apps/developer?id=cbucz24&token=qpK_4tL0
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/developer?id=BySezerSimsek&token=6RlZ0wcI
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tore/apps/developer?id=Chaz187&token=-y1k5GKC

Plus having Nougat right now is quite nice. Anyways just my thoughts on what I decided to go with.

Adaboy

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
S7 edge is pretty darn close to the N7. As people have said the pronounced curves take getting use too. It's just missing the s pen that I used so much. I couldn't resist getting it, Best buy was giving a $200 gift card, free fast wireless charger and Gear VR. I used the gift card to score an open box Gear S3!!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
S7 edge is pretty darn close to the N7. As people have said the pronounced curves take getting use too. It's just missing the s pen that I used so much. I couldn't resist getting it, Best buy was giving a $200 gift card, free fast wireless charger and Gear VR. I used the gift card to score an open box Gear S3!!

That's a great deal! Good for you! An awesome phone and a great bargain with those goodies!

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I was going back and forth between the Note 5 and S7 Edge. Finally decided on the Note 5 because I love the SPen and the ability to take notes on my phone. Did the replacement online with Verizon and it is on backorder til 11/2. Has anyone else had trouble getting a Note 5?
I just got a Note 5 a couple days ago purchased online through Amazon and got it next-day air shipped. LOVE it. Still have the s7edge that's financed through Tmobile I can upgrade that once the new Note comes out or if the S8 is truly worth it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol