10-18-2016 08:15 AM
70 123
tools
    Exploding batteries and planes don't match. A fire on an airplane can ruin your whole day...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fires-inv...ce.html?ref=gs

EgyptAir voice recorder indicates fire on plane - CNN.com
    monsieurms likes this.
    10-16-2016 04:37 PM
    Ok and?
    Not all vacation destinations have reliable internet service too. Even if they did hear about the total ban while on vacation, what are they supposed to do if they're overseas?
    tonyr6 likes this.
    10-16-2016 04:39 PM
    What was even sadder was that the husband stepped on the Note 7 screen before he tossed it into the recycling bin. I assume he wanted to make sure nobody could use it. The sound of the screen glass cracking was a horrible noise... as if the Note 7 was screaming "what did I do? don't kiiiillllll meeeeee! good bye world..... "
    Oh plenty would have jumped on that phone if it wasn't trashed before being in the recycling bin.
    10-16-2016 04:47 PM
    Oh plenty would have jumped on that phone if it wasn't trashed before being in the recycling bin.
    sure hope he took out the free Samsung 200gb MicroSDXC card inside the Note 7...
    tonyr6 likes this.
    10-16-2016 04:53 PM
    I am in the middle of a two week business trip to Europe. I was here when the FAA ban was announced.

I just got off the phone with AT&T. I will leave the phone in Europe, and go to the local AT&T store where I bought the GN7 , with the box and receipt, and my boarding passes for my return flight. AT&T will the refund the unit. This is what AT&T told me to do, and they placed a note on my account so that the local store knows what to do.

I had a conversation with Samsung too, and they told me the same thing.

Hope this helps anyone else in this situation.
    10-16-2016 04:57 PM
    sure hope he took out the free Samsung 200gb MicroSDXC card inside the Note 7...
    Wouldn't surprise me that he forgot about that. Had that been NYC, it wouldn't surprised me that the TSA agents would either take it and say they'll trash it, or they'd scavenge phones from a special Note 7 only bin.
    10-16-2016 04:59 PM
    Samsung and/or carriers really should have sent a text message and email explaining everything they need to know, including airport bans and whether they intend to cripple phones in future updates.
    10-16-2016 05:22 PM
    Samsung and/or carriers really should have sent a text message and email explaining everything they need to know, including airport bans and whether they intend to cripple phones in future updates.
    Yeah, I'm really shocked they didn't do a blast message to Note 7 owners... The carriers have the ability to do so.

I can't blame the DOT and FAA though. Their "Too bad, so sad" attitude might be harsh, but they aren't concerned with someone's troubles returning their phone. They just don't want a plane to do it's best lawn dart impression.
    10-16-2016 05:34 PM
    Yeah, I'm really shocked they didn't do a blast message to Note 7 owners... The carriers have the ability to do so.

I can't blame the DOT and FAA though. Their "Too bad, so sad" attitude might be harsh, but they aren't concerned with someone's troubles returning their phone. They just don't want a plane to do it's best lawn dart impression.
    Now we get to see how Samsung is going to be responsible for this.
    BustA Groove likes this.
    10-16-2016 06:01 PM
    I am in the middle of a two week business trip to Europe. I was here when the FAA ban was announced.

I just got off the phone with AT&T. I will leave the phone in Europe, and go to the local AT&T store where I bought the GN7 , with the box and receipt, and my boarding passes for my return flight. AT&T will the refund the unit. This is what AT&T told me to do, and they placed a note on my account so that the local store knows what to do.

I had a conversation with Samsung too, and they told me the same thing.

Hope this helps anyone else in this situation.
    I'm glad this this didn't happen to me... because I always toss away the phone boxes...
    jackash0912 likes this.
    10-16-2016 06:21 PM
    I just gotta wonder how anyone would get caught flying with a Note 7. My wife flew on Saturday and tells me that, although they made an announcement about the ban, nobody was searched for contraband Note 7s. Basically the only way they could tell you have one is if you volunteer the information. If you keep it turned of fin your pocket or in your bag nobody will ever know. I'm not advocating that anybody do that, but I'm sure thousands will.
    10-16-2016 06:52 PM
    How long has the second recall been in place? My guess is that will be their legal out for any liability. I'm not condoning, just being cynical.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    10-16-2016 06:55 PM

reports coming in today that people have thrown away their Note 7 at airport-screenshot_20161016-190624.jpg

Samsung is trying. I was notified about the ban a couple of days ago with a push notification.
    10-16-2016 07:08 PM
    One of my cousins posted this message he got Friday from Sprint on facebook so I believe some did get notifications. He is one that refuses to give his Note 7 up because "his doesn't have any issues" so he won't be flying.
    reports coming in today that people have thrown away their Note 7 at airport-image.jpg
    athenatp likes this.
    10-16-2016 07:09 PM
    I never got that message. But even if they did send it out, they can't magically expect people who were travelling to suddenly be able to do anything about it. Most of us didn't have any issues, but with the number of people on any given day flying, a plan should have been made by them. Leaving your customers to choose between a rock and a hard place isn't a viable option.
    priceslss likes this.
    10-16-2016 07:13 PM
    when you hit "Like" to my post 21 and 23, are you agreeing that I'm a bad person?
    Aww. I liked that you admitted to a genuine response.
    10-16-2016 07:39 PM
    I feel really bad for that father who had to throw his phone away. Seems like a sad thing to have happen, despite the obvious security issues that could have arisen from shopping it/bringing it along on the plane. But still.
    Kalious likes this.
    10-16-2016 08:03 PM
    If you're not aware of the ban on planes, you must've been living under a rock the whole time.
    I don't keep up with the news, ESPECIALLY on vacation. IMHO, the news only supplies 10 percent actual news, the rest is just bull ****. Hard to find a good unbiased 'news' source these days.
    kevinpleasants and tonyr6 like this.
    10-16-2016 08:33 PM
    I don't understand why people don't just ship them home with ground service in fireproof packaging (they're not even expensive). It's typically the cheapest option even from halfway around the world. Half the cheap stuff bought in eBay comes by ship and takes 2-4 weeks to arrive.
    10-16-2016 11:12 PM
    some people just dont think. the guy could have asked someone to ship it home for him.
    10-17-2016 12:19 AM
    some people just dont think. the guy could have asked someone to ship it home for him.
    Can't really ship them without the fire proof box and all that. He also didn't know before he got to the airport.
    codeda likes this.
    10-17-2016 02:31 AM
    Sounds possible but also much like every other urban legend ever propagated. It's only a phone. If you have a job and especially a family and you back up your devices regularly discarding the phone to make a flight is only a monetary problem. Not a very huge one at that. So if I had to chuck my phone to make an important flight I most certainly would.
    10-17-2016 04:09 AM
    Glad I no longer fly. But no way would I throw away $879 for no reason.
    The husband can claim that his note 7 was stolen and will receive a free one from the phone carrier if he is under contract. If he is not and paid in full... Then that sucks.
    10-17-2016 04:21 AM
    Many people are not going to use Samsung ever again
    tonyr6 likes this.
    10-17-2016 04:30 AM
    I talked to tmobile and they are all good to give me a refund. I had to give up my phone in Japan or I wouldn't be able to board the flight back to LAX yesterday. I talked to customer support. I really hope what they say will be the same when I go to the store.
    chriskwarren, codeda and tonyr6 like this.
    10-17-2016 06:12 AM
70 123