reports coming in today that people have thrown away their Note 7 at airport

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
(I know this is another of the dozens of threads, but I want to address a very specific issue about how this passenger had no choice but to THROW AWAY his Note 7 ) :(

I was watching the local noon news on TV just now...

Being a vacation destination, the local airport has lots of tourist with children who are usually here for 2 weeks or more.

A couple with twin boys got stopped at the airport counter. The local TV reporter just looked on while the cameraman recorded their reaction with the check-in agent. The husband admitted that they knew about the Note 7 recall. However, they were not aware of the total ban on airplanes. Not surprising... since who checks the news every day when on a 3-week vacation?

The agent was sympathetic but firm: no check-in if the husband brings the Note 7. The wife was very upset. With just an hour and half before the flight boarded, the husband was more sensible. He told the agent to take his Note 7 and throw it in trash. The agent said she couldn't do that.... so the husband walked over to recycling bin and tossed it in the one marked for soda cans and bottles and threw it inside. Not sure how safe that would have been? The check-in agent processed them and checked their bags without any issues. In the backgound the twin boys could be heard saying "dad, why did you throw away your new phone?"(as if they wanted to know how they were going play games while on the plane)

It got me thinking.... with millions of Note 7 phones recalled, there must be hundreds of owners who have not been up to date about the new total ban.... they must be faced with the same dilemma at airports right now.... throw away the phone or face denied boarding(which in many cases can cause them more in rebooking fees or hotel expenses)

Is it just me or does that seem wrong? I assume there's nothing they can do, unless airports have post offices... or they have relatives/friends who took them to the airport?

:(

Edit: am I a bad person for wanting to head out to the airport right now so I can ask those people to give me the Note 7 they have to throw away? It's a busy airport and I'm sure there are more in the coming days. Yay! Free Note 7! :( Or should I be a good person and offer to take the phones from them and shipping it to them later?(using an approved method, of course)

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow, so now throwing the phone in the trash? Trash can in an airport on top of it? That's even worse than not powering it down. They could've placed it in a biohazard bag. So they ban the phone but don't have any rules and regulations on how to discard it if people want to give it back? Ok I guess we are all safer now. Geez.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Wow, so now throwing the phone in the trash? Trash can in an airport on top of it? That's even worse than not powering it down. They could've placed it in a biohazard bag. So they ban the phone but don't have any rules and regulations on how to discard it if people want to give it back? Ok I guess we are all safer now. Geez.
Well that's America for you. Always thinking exactly one step ahead, never more than necessary.

Until something else goes wrong, FAA and TSA won't be concerned with proper disposal.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

most people don't check the news on a daily basis when on extended vacations.... or do they? On a side note, my company has a strict policy that supervisors/managers/employees cannot contact the person on vacation about any work-related issues.... (but that has more to do with a former employee who sued and got compensated because his supervisor called him while he was on unpaid vacation... IIRC, it made him $20,000 richer, tax-free... then he got a better job at ConAgra)

Last edited:

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
What a sad end to an awesome phone..........:'(

What was even sadder was that the husband stepped on the Note 7 screen before he tossed it into the recycling bin. :( I assume he wanted to make sure nobody could use it. :( The sound of the screen glass cracking was a horrible noise... as if the Note 7 was screaming "what did I do? don't kiiiillllll meeeeee! good bye world..... " :(

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
So the fire proof bags don't work I take it. They could have metal boxes to place them in for in flight safety. Yeah I know the FAA isn't know for their ability to think outside that cubical.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
most people don't check the news on a daily basis when on extended vacations.... or do they?
I used to. But, that was back when the news was actually news, as opposed to the entertainment and political cheer-leading that is now called "news." Now, when I travel on vacation, the only "news" I catch is by sheer accident.

Nevertheless: Let us put the blame for this squarely where it lays: On Samsung.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Since they, FAA, have banned the phone, you'd think they'd have thought of proper disposal methods if any had to be confiscated and/or destroyed. There was not enough forethought by the powers that be.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I used to. But, that was back when the news was actually news, as opposed to the entertainment and political cheer-leading that is now called "news." Now, when I travel on vacation, the only "news" I catch is by sheer accident.

Nevertheless: Let us put the blame for this squarely where it lays: On Samsung.

Nope, this one is on the FAA and the airlines...... Samsung didn't ban the phones. FAA did, of course for safety reasons. But if you ban anything you have to have contingency plans. They are the law when it comes to flying. A simple biohazard bag or fire proof bag could've taken care of the issue. But nope, we are a reactionary country, we don't prevent situations. But we sure as hell scream and yell when we are confronted with the issue. And don't say people should know better, because WE as people don't. Several people on here (including myself) still haven't powered down these phones. And several never will ( I will waiting on another phone, it is what it is). Now I would never get on a plane with it that is pushing the limit. For all the screaming, the yelling, the powering down, the fear mongoring about safety, the banning....doesn't show anything if you can't even put in a simple contingency plan such as this in place. Hell, it took them days to even ban it on flights. IJS.

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
What was even sadder was that the husband stepped on the Note 7 screen before he tossed it into the recycling bin. :( I assume he wanted to make sure nobody could use it. :( The sound of the screen glass cracking was a horrible noise... as if the Note 7 was screaming "what did I do? don't kiiiillllll meeeeee! good bye world..... " :(

Was there a video on this? Curious to see it.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
This sucks. I feel bad for people already on vacation when this ban was announce. Can't ship it home either technically so what are you supposed to do. Talk about a complete mess.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar