10-18-2016 08:15 AM
70 123
tools
    (I know this is another of the dozens of threads, but I want to address a very specific issue about how this passenger had no choice but to THROW AWAY his Note 7 )

I was watching the local noon news on TV just now...

Being a vacation destination, the local airport has lots of tourist with children who are usually here for 2 weeks or more.

A couple with twin boys got stopped at the airport counter. The local TV reporter just looked on while the cameraman recorded their reaction with the check-in agent. The husband admitted that they knew about the Note 7 recall. However, they were not aware of the total ban on airplanes. Not surprising... since who checks the news every day when on a 3-week vacation?

The agent was sympathetic but firm: no check-in if the husband brings the Note 7. The wife was very upset. With just an hour and half before the flight boarded, the husband was more sensible. He told the agent to take his Note 7 and throw it in trash. The agent said she couldn't do that.... so the husband walked over to recycling bin and tossed it in the one marked for soda cans and bottles and threw it inside. Not sure how safe that would have been? The check-in agent processed them and checked their bags without any issues. In the backgound the twin boys could be heard saying "dad, why did you throw away your new phone?"(as if they wanted to know how they were going play games while on the plane)

It got me thinking.... with millions of Note 7 phones recalled, there must be hundreds of owners who have not been up to date about the new total ban.... they must be faced with the same dilemma at airports right now.... throw away the phone or face denied boarding(which in many cases can cause them more in rebooking fees or hotel expenses)

Is it just me or does that seem wrong? I assume there's nothing they can do, unless airports have post offices... or they have relatives/friends who took them to the airport?

Edit: am I a bad person for wanting to head out to the airport right now so I can ask those people to give me the Note 7 they have to throw away? It's a busy airport and I'm sure there are more in the coming days. Yay! Free Note 7! Or should I be a good person and offer to take the phones from them and shipping it to them later?(using an approved method, of course)
    10-15-2016 01:32 PM
    If you're not aware of the ban on planes, you must've been living under a rock the whole time.
    10-15-2016 01:37 PM
    Wow, so now throwing the phone in the trash? Trash can in an airport on top of it? That's even worse than not powering it down. They could've placed it in a biohazard bag. So they ban the phone but don't have any rules and regulations on how to discard it if people want to give it back? Ok I guess we are all safer now. Geez.
    dakini03 likes this.
    10-15-2016 01:37 PM
    Wow, so now throwing the phone in the trash? Trash can in an airport on top of it? That's even worse than not powering it down. They could've placed it in a biohazard bag. So they ban the phone but don't have any rules and regulations on how to discard it if people want to give it back? Ok I guess we are all safer now. Geez.
    Well that's America for you. Always thinking exactly one step ahead, never more than necessary.

Until something else goes wrong, FAA and TSA won't be concerned with proper disposal.
    TwitchyPuppy and Shadowyugi like this.
    10-15-2016 01:41 PM
    If you're not aware of the ban on planes, you must've been living under a rock the whole time.
    The total ban just happened the other day...
    10-15-2016 01:44 PM
    What a sad end to an awesome phone..........
    10-15-2016 01:46 PM
    The total ban just happened the other day...
    Ok and?
    10-15-2016 01:49 PM
    Ok and?
    most people don't check the news on a daily basis when on extended vacations.... or do they? On a side note, my company has a strict policy that supervisors/managers/employees cannot contact the person on vacation about any work-related issues.... (but that has more to do with a former employee who sued and got compensated because his supervisor called him while he was on unpaid vacation... IIRC, it made him $20,000 richer, tax-free... then he got a better job at ConAgra)
    10-15-2016 01:53 PM
    What a sad end to an awesome phone..........
    What was even sadder was that the husband stepped on the Note 7 screen before he tossed it into the recycling bin. I assume he wanted to make sure nobody could use it. The sound of the screen glass cracking was a horrible noise... as if the Note 7 was screaming "what did I do? don't kiiiillllll meeeeee! good bye world..... "
    Shadowyugi and ToniC618 like this.
    10-15-2016 01:56 PM
    So the fire proof bags don't work I take it. They could have metal boxes to place them in for in flight safety. Yeah I know the FAA isn't know for their ability to think outside that cubical.
    mhettrich likes this.
    10-15-2016 02:00 PM
    Are you sure this wasn't a Saturday Night Live skit.....
    benjamminh likes this.
    10-15-2016 02:00 PM
    Are you sure this wasn't a Saturday Night Live skit.....
    I wish... but sometimes reality is funnier and more absurd than any SNL skit.
    kadinldg likes this.
    10-15-2016 02:18 PM
    most people don't check the news on a daily basis when on extended vacations.... or do they?
    I used to. But, that was back when the news was actually news, as opposed to the entertainment and political cheer-leading that is now called "news." Now, when I travel on vacation, the only "news" I catch is by sheer accident.

Nevertheless: Let us put the blame for this squarely where it lays: On Samsung.
    tonyr6 likes this.
    10-15-2016 03:09 PM
    I think that guy broke a law or two tossing that phone in the trash. Lucky he didn't get arrested.
    frankenhooker likes this.
    10-15-2016 03:25 PM
    Since they, FAA, have banned the phone, you'd think they'd have thought of proper disposal methods if any had to be confiscated and/or destroyed. There was not enough forethought by the powers that be.
    10-15-2016 03:39 PM
    I used to. But, that was back when the news was actually news, as opposed to the entertainment and political cheer-leading that is now called "news." Now, when I travel on vacation, the only "news" I catch is by sheer accident.

Nevertheless: Let us put the blame for this squarely where it lays: On Samsung.
    Nope, this one is on the FAA and the airlines...... Samsung didn't ban the phones. FAA did, of course for safety reasons. But if you ban anything you have to have contingency plans. They are the law when it comes to flying. A simple biohazard bag or fire proof bag could've taken care of the issue. But nope, we are a reactionary country, we don't prevent situations. But we sure as hell scream and yell when we are confronted with the issue. And don't say people should know better, because WE as people don't. Several people on here (including myself) still haven't powered down these phones. And several never will ( I will waiting on another phone, it is what it is). Now I would never get on a plane with it that is pushing the limit. For all the screaming, the yelling, the powering down, the fear mongoring about safety, the banning....doesn't show anything if you can't even put in a simple contingency plan such as this in place. Hell, it took them days to even ban it on flights. IJS.
    jackash0912 likes this.
    10-15-2016 04:02 PM
    What was even sadder was that the husband stepped on the Note 7 screen before he tossed it into the recycling bin. I assume he wanted to make sure nobody could use it. The sound of the screen glass cracking was a horrible noise... as if the Note 7 was screaming "what did I do? don't kiiiillllll meeeeee! good bye world..... "
    Was there a video on this? Curious to see it.
    Laura Crusader likes this.
    10-15-2016 04:11 PM
    How would these people get a different device if they just throw away their get out of Samsung free card.....
    10-15-2016 04:35 PM
    Glad I no longer fly. But no way would I throw away $879 for no reason.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-15-2016 04:37 PM
    This sucks. I feel bad for people already on vacation when this ban was announce. Can't ship it home either technically so what are you supposed to do. Talk about a complete mess.
    keepnitreel, dejanh and tonyr6 like this.
    10-15-2016 04:40 PM
    That's not even all that terrible. Insurance fraud yes but dire circumstances. There's gotta be something that can be done for people. Ridiculous.
    yes... I know it's insurance fraud and I would never have done it.... it just scares me that the thought even crossed my mind....

I've only filed Asurion claims twice in the last few years... first one was when I spilled water and killed the phone... the other was when I dropped the phone in an unflushed airport toilet after #2. both times Asurion sent me replacement brand-new phones within 2 days.(after $99 and $149 deductibles were paid) Technically, the phone that fell into the unflushed airport still worked after I washed/sanitized it as much as I could... but Asurion didn't seem to mind when I told them about the incident.
    codeda likes this.
    10-15-2016 04:54 PM
    That's not even all that terrible. Insurance fraud yes but dire circumstances. There's gotta be something that can be done for people. Ridiculous.
    when you hit "Like" to my post 21 and 23, are you agreeing that I'm a bad person?
    10-15-2016 08:29 PM
    Since they, FAA, have banned the phone, you'd think they'd have thought of proper disposal methods if any had to be confiscated and/or destroyed. There was not enough forethought by the powers that be.
    Really? Have you seen how our gubmint operates? Not having contingency plans is the least surprising thing about this imo
    Katrina White1 and rushmore like this.
    10-15-2016 10:01 PM
    (I know this is another of the dozens of threads, but I want to address a very specific issue about how this passenger had no choice but to THROW AWAY his Note 7 )

I was watching the local noon news on TV just now...

Being a vacation destination, the local airport has lots of tourist with children who are usually here for 2 weeks or more.

A couple with twin boys got stopped at the airport counter. The local TV reporter just looked on while the cameraman recorded their reaction with the check-in agent. The husband admitted that they knew about the Note 7 recall. However, they were not aware of the total ban on airplanes. Not surprising... since who checks the news every day when on a 3-week vacation?

The agent was sympathetic but firm: no check-in if the husband brings the Note 7. The wife was very upset. With just an hour and half before the flight boarded, the husband was more sensible. He told the agent to take his Note 7 and throw it in trash. The agent said she couldn't do that.... so the husband walked over to recycling bin and tossed it in the one marked for soda cans and bottles and threw it inside. Not sure how safe that would have been? The check-in agent processed them and checked their bags without any issues. In the backgound the twin boys could be heard saying "dad, why did you throw away your new phone?"(as if they wanted to know how they were going play games while on the plane)

It got me thinking.... with millions of Note 7 phones recalled, there must be hundreds of owners who have not been up to date about the new total ban.... they must be faced with the same dilemma at airports right now.... throw away the phone or face denied boarding(which in many cases can cause them more in rebooking fees or hotel expenses)

Is it just me or does that seem wrong? I assume there's nothing they can do, unless airports have post offices... or they have relatives/friends who took them to the airport?

Edit: am I a bad person for wanting to head out to the airport right now so I can ask those people to give me the Note 7 they have to throw away? It's a busy airport and I'm sure there are more in the coming days. Yay! Free Note 7! Or should I be a good person and offer to take the phones from them and shipping it to them later?(using an approved method, of course)
    I don't buy it.. It was a scam...It was a hoax... It had to be a Apple iPhone fanatic staging all of this... It might have been a Saturday night Live skit... Lol
    10-16-2016 12:36 AM
    Really? Have you seen how our gubmint operates? Not having contingency plans is the least surprising thing about this imo
    Damned if they do damned if they don't... People in here are going to whine no matter what. There are thousands of airport throughout the US and do you expect every single TSA agent to stand ready with a fire extinguisher and a 1000$ note 7 refund-voucher?

And uhh, they did not create a procedure for disposing note 7's! Well, if a note 7 catches fire in a garbage bin you grab the extinguisher , move people away and calls a fire truck. No biggie... It is a different story when confined in a metal-tube traveling at 35.000 feet over the ocean.

So come on guys. Stop acting like spoiled kids and move on!

To me it looks like the government (for once) did the right thing
    Kalious, monsieurms and jerrykur like this.
    10-16-2016 04:27 PM
70 123