Updates?!? What the....

kabeeo

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
How in the world did I get updates to certain Samsung apps today? Are they crazy pushing those out to a phone that they already told us to shut off because it's dangerous?

James Beam

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
Were they automatically installed? Could be some type of phone crippling update or something to give you nagging pop up warnings for those who still haven't turned them off yet.

kabeeo

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Were they automatically installed? Could be some type of phone crippling update or something to give you nagging pop up warnings for those who still haven't turned them off yet.

Thats what I thought at first so I did not install. They went in automatically. Clock, Smart Select, People Edge, Pay Something and a few others. I haven't seen any changes yet.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
No it was app updates like normal. Didn't cripple anything, but did get my N7 quite a bit hotter than it ever has. But the heat is coming from opposite the battery.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Kinda wondered that too. I heard they actually may have found the issue. Something about software not jiving with the new charging hardware. Causing the battery to get to hot. Yep that can mean the battery seems fine even though it goes up in smoke not charging. How do you mess that up?

Source?

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that rumor don't fly now that I went back and watched the teardown again! Look at what sits right next to the battery. That Big Fat Heat Dispensing Junk! Boy did I miss that. Remember heat is really bad for lithium batteries. Now with continued use and say unexpected heat that is probably where it starts. Look at all the pics floating around too. Notice the front glass has a distinct color as to what appears is close to the middle. Yeah now that I see it there is no way any N7 is safe. Mods at least be kind enough to help point that out. Mine is down as of today. That's why Samsung killed it. They see it too.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that rumor don't fly now that I went back and watched the teardown again! Look at what sits right next to the battery. That Big Fat Heat Dispensing Junk! Boy did I miss that. Remember heat is really bad for lithium batteries. Now with continued use and say unexpected heat that is probably where it starts. Look at all the pics floating around too. Notice the front glass has a distinct color as to what appears is close to the middle. Yeah now that I see it there is no way any N7 is safe. Mods at least be kind enough to help point that out. Mine is down as of today. That's why Samsung killed it. They see it too.

This is possibly the most realistic theory I've heard yet! Makes perfect sense, and if it is truly the cause, that's a pretty big whoopsie

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh, don't get me wrong... its prolly not the cause... just saying it's the most realistic theory I've heard yet. No tinfoil hat required :D

It wouldnt surprise me if it is that simple tho... engineers sometimes over think things to the point they miss the obvious.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
That's why they aren't saying anything and killed it. It's a complete redesign at this point. As an electronics technician as should have seen that! I missed it and I will admit it. I was going to keep mine, but not after that. No way! The processor is already one of the hottest running on the market. So along with inadiquit heat dissipation you have a run away train at any given point. Had they moved the motherboard over and directed heat closer to the opposite side of the battery it may have kept the issue from showing up. It's easily missed when you don't think about the heat being the cause. These updates heated mine up enough for me to watch the video and see where exactly it was coming from. Trust me oculus did the right thing or we would be seeing a kid watching vr get burnt.

prasad219

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Kinda wondered that too. I heard they actually may have found the issue. Something about software not jiving with the new charging hardware. Causing the battery to get to hot. Yep that can mean the battery seems fine even though it goes up in smoke not charging. How do you mess that up?
Seriously...? All that fuss was created due to bad software? If that's true why is Samsung recalling the phones? They should tell them rho wait and send updates to fix the problem. No loss at all. Just send updates to everyone and your saved.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Seriously...? All that fuss was created due to bad software? If that's true why is Samsung recalling the phones? They should tell them rho wait and send updates to fix the problem. No loss at all. Just send updates to everyone and your saved.
No it's the heat off the processor. Too close to the battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad