10-17-2016 04:35 AM
35 12
tools
    How in the world did I get updates to certain Samsung apps today? Are they crazy pushing those out to a phone that they already told us to shut off because it's dangerous?
    10-15-2016 02:14 PM
    No it's a design flaw.
    10-15-2016 02:25 PM
    Good god. What do you think that means?
    10-15-2016 02:39 PM
    Were they automatically installed? Could be some type of phone crippling update or something to give you nagging pop up warnings for those who still haven't turned them off yet.
    10-15-2016 02:40 PM
    Were they automatically installed? Could be some type of phone crippling update or something to give you nagging pop up warnings for those who still haven't turned them off yet.
    Thats what I thought at first so I did not install. They went in automatically. Clock, Smart Select, People Edge, Pay Something and a few others. I haven't seen any changes yet.
    10-15-2016 02:44 PM
    No it was app updates like normal. Didn't cripple anything, but did get my N7 quite a bit hotter than it ever has. But the heat is coming from opposite the battery.
    10-15-2016 02:44 PM
    App updates like normal
    20blks likes this.
    10-15-2016 02:45 PM
    Kinda wondered that too. I heard they actually may have found the issue. Something about software not jiving with the new charging hardware. Causing the battery to get to hot. Yep that can mean the battery seems fine even though it goes up in smoke not charging. How do you mess that up?
    Source?
    frope01 and keepnitreel like this.
    10-15-2016 02:46 PM
    It really doesn't matter now, does it. They killed the Note 7.
    keepnitreel likes this.
    10-15-2016 02:51 PM
    Source?
    I don't know how to figure that out. They had the Samsung notification when they came in.
    10-15-2016 02:52 PM
    Source?
    Yeah that rumor don't fly now that I went back and watched the teardown again! Look at what sits right next to the battery. That Big Fat Heat Dispensing Junk! Boy did I miss that. Remember heat is really bad for lithium batteries. Now with continued use and say unexpected heat that is probably where it starts. Look at all the pics floating around too. Notice the front glass has a distinct color as to what appears is close to the middle. Yeah now that I see it there is no way any N7 is safe. Mods at least be kind enough to help point that out. Mine is down as of today. That's why Samsung killed it. They see it too.
    shaleem likes this.
    10-15-2016 02:55 PM
    Yeah that rumor don't fly now that I went back and watched the teardown again! Look at what sits right next to the battery. That Big Fat Heat Dispensing Junk! Boy did I miss that. Remember heat is really bad for lithium batteries. Now with continued use and say unexpected heat that is probably where it starts. Look at all the pics floating around too. Notice the front glass has a distinct color as to what appears is close to the middle. Yeah now that I see it there is no way any N7 is safe. Mods at least be kind enough to help point that out. Mine is down as of today. That's why Samsung killed it. They see it too.
    This is possibly the most realistic theory I've heard yet! Makes perfect sense, and if it is truly the cause, that's a pretty big whoopsie
    shaleem, jgraves1107 and cinnamin like this.
    10-15-2016 02:58 PM
    Really? 10,000 Engineers at Samsung missed something obvious (I don't really know what you're talking about!).
    10-15-2016 03:02 PM
    Oh, don't get me wrong... its prolly not the cause... just saying it's the most realistic theory I've heard yet. No tinfoil hat required

It wouldnt surprise me if it is that simple tho... engineers sometimes over think things to the point they miss the obvious.
    10-15-2016 03:06 PM
    That's why they aren't saying anything and killed it. It's a complete redesign at this point. As an electronics technician as should have seen that! I missed it and I will admit it. I was going to keep mine, but not after that. No way! The processor is already one of the hottest running on the market. So along with inadiquit heat dissipation you have a run away train at any given point. Had they moved the motherboard over and directed heat closer to the opposite side of the battery it may have kept the issue from showing up. It's easily missed when you don't think about the heat being the cause. These updates heated mine up enough for me to watch the video and see where exactly it was coming from. Trust me oculus did the right thing or we would be seeing a kid watching vr get burnt.
    10-15-2016 03:10 PM
    Kinda wondered that too. I heard they actually may have found the issue. Something about software not jiving with the new charging hardware. Causing the battery to get to hot. Yep that can mean the battery seems fine even though it goes up in smoke not charging. How do you mess that up?
    Seriously...? All that fuss was created due to bad software? If that's true why is Samsung recalling the phones? They should tell them rho wait and send updates to fix the problem. No loss at all. Just send updates to everyone and your saved.
    10-15-2016 03:10 PM
    If I wasn't pissed before!
    10-15-2016 03:20 PM
    Seriously...? All that fuss was created due to bad software? If that's true why is Samsung recalling the phones? They should tell them rho wait and send updates to fix the problem. No loss at all. Just send updates to everyone and your saved.
    No it's the heat off the processor. Too close to the battery.
    10-15-2016 03:46 PM
    No it's the heat off the processor. Too close to the battery.
    I could have figured that out! And I'm not even that bright!!
    jgraves1107 likes this.
    10-15-2016 03:49 PM
    No it's a design flaw.
    Looks like I need to repack my Note 5 for the Note 7. Do you figure it would be one of the random ones turned in?
    10-15-2016 04:01 PM
    No. Looking at it after these updates shows exactly where that intense heat comes from. At some point I feel they could all fail. I wanted to keep mine to play with but the way android updates sometimes with apps that heat can cause the issue at any point. It sucks but they have to start from scratch no way to fix that kind of fubar. Really hate that the perfect phone is the perfect storm in all the wrong ways.
    frope01 likes this.
    10-15-2016 04:09 PM
    After the update my phone is blazing fast, anyone else?

I'm sitting on the fence at the moment about exchanging my Note 7 for a stopgap till the Note 8. I can't go back to the Note 5 with no SD slot, so the A9 should suffice with 2xSIM slots+SD slot and 6 inch screen.

I actually visited the shop I purchased from and almost pulled the trigger but decided on giving it a few more days to see how things pan out. After this update though, I may give it a bit longer.
    10-15-2016 05:00 PM
    What update ? What's the build number under about settings, I've disabled push updates on mine as I want to filter what might be a gimp update to cripple the phone.im on 2aphe. Taking x rays of mine biweekly to see if I can catch anything go wrong
    Attached Thumbnails Updates?!? What the....-img_0082.jpg  
    Nostromo79 likes this.
    10-15-2016 08:41 PM
    It's just apps... Not system. Apps generally update across the board for all devices.
    B. Diddy and jackash0912 like this.
    10-15-2016 09:08 PM
    It's just apps... Not system. Apps generally update across the board for all devices.
    ^^This. I'd be more surprised if the Note7 were getting actual system updates pushed to it. But app updates aren't specific to the phone.
    10-16-2016 03:49 AM
35 12