Interesting - any reports of burning Note 7s in the past week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Man... You shouldn't have given it back... There's a million of us keeping our note 7.... Not even 1 incident since Samsung canceled the pbone

I'm in that number. I've called my guy to do my N7 to S7E exchange, but I just can't bring myself to get in my car and go. I've even backed my phone up, but didn't do the reset. I.JUST.CANT!

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The Note7 definitely has problems
...hence the recall of all of them. That does not mean all of them have a problem. But SOME of the problems are the following:

The media incorrectly reporting several of the incidents erroneously stating the device to be a Note7.

Some of the claims made are obviously questionable.

Samsung would have to inspect every single Note7 to identify and conclusively determine the actual number of defective devices which I would imagine to be cost prohibitive.

Samsung has been unable to recreate the problems in their testing facilities.

Again, this does not mean all devices are proven to be affected, just all devices must be recalled.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm in that number. I've called my guy to do my N7 to S7E exchange, but I just can't bring myself to get in my car and go. I've even backed my phone up, but didn't do the reset. I.JUST.CANT!
I feel you.
I have a iPhone 6 and a N3 all setup and ready to go but I can't bring myself to swap out the SIM card

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The issues are due to the battery from a chemical short that can be already unstable, or made that way from a drop. Root cause per Samsung is some batteries have the issue due to production.

Not seeing how heat is the trigger, but a compromise of the anode cathode layers through faulty production that shows up quickly, or compromised from a drop or some similar force.

Best test would be drops and not trying to get it hot. Otherwise probably not burning up. The lack of battery tech appreciation appears to proliferate even after the Note 7 death.

Key word being Some in regards to batteries being compromised.

Last edited:

ljedik

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
I truely believe if the N7 was a danger to the public, Samsung would have sent out a update right away to disable the phone.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
The issues are due to the battery from a chemical short that can be already unstable, or made that way from a drop. Root cause per Samsung is some batteries have the issue due to production.

Not seeing how heat is the trigger, but a compromise of the anode cathode layers through faulty production that shows up quickly, or compromised from a drop or some similar force.

Best test would be drops and not trying to get it hot. Otherwise probably not burning up. The lack of battery tech appreciation appears to proliferate even after the Note 7 death.

Key word being Some in regards to batteries being compromised.

Source?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I truely believe if the N7 was a danger to the public, Samsung would have sent out a update right away to disable the phone.

I still think some of the events post recall were not due to the Note 7, but Samsung screwed up in communication and the tight design that helped facilitate the the real burning incidents. Pre recall, Jeep Guy helped establish the meme narrative and grandma got the family emotions going- neither due to the Note 7. Jeep Guy was an Ecig and grandma claimed to have a Note 7 when obviously did not.

None the less, Samsung can kiss ever getting the coveted enterprise business back or growing it- that segment is dead for them now. No telling how many stranded professionals are dealing with IT to migrate to another device before return flights, or just on their own to manage. Assuming they find out before trying to check in.

Sealed batteries are doing Samsung no good- regardless if fair or not.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site

I finally did the factory reset. It just reminded me how great that phone was everytime I picked it up. Have to distance myself from it and pretend it doesn't exist lol. The S7 edge is also a great phone just not as great as the N7.

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
It really doesn't matter, does it? Samsung killed it. I'm not happy about it at all, but we just have to deal with it. End of story.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Well I say someone give out the email to someone important enough at Samsung mobile to hear what we have to say! We want to prove the N7 safe. Then we need to help test it for them!

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I called VZW today to do have them note my account for full refund of purchase price and no fees to reactivate my Note 4. The CSR advised me it was my choice to continue using the phone, but once the recall period ends, which she mentioned 12/1, there would be no warranty or technical support or liability on behalf of Samsung and VZW. But she said she has spoken to numerous individuals who intend to keep the phone and take all responsibility and liability on themselves, largely due to the fact there is no good replacement phone available that is not a downgrade. I would assume we will get a warning when that date is coming close, but I too am using the phone until the very last day it is returnable.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
The Note7 definitely has problems
...hence the recall of all of them. That does not mean all of them have a problem. But SOME of the problems are the following:

The media incorrectly reporting several of the incidents erroneously stating the device to be a Note7.

Some of the claims made are obviously questionable.

Samsung would have to inspect every single Note7 to identify and conclusively determine the actual number of defective devices which I would imagine to be cost prohibitive.

Samsung has been unable to recreate the problems in their testing facilities.

Again, this does not mean all devices are proven to be affected, just all devices must be recalled.

Media destroyed this phone..... plain and simple. Oh, and the liars looking for a payout. Under 100 cases worldwide. No phones burning up in stores. And the fact that Samsung engineers and a million people holding out haven't had problems makes something seem a little fishy. I still do think they made the best decision for them, as a company.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Look up Samsung's releases during the CPSC review. Excess pressure during production that can result in a short (cell layer bonding/build). They said nothing about a circuit fault that could create heat issues.

As far as I know, Samsung hasn't announced any new findings and have been unable to replicate the issue.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Media destroyed this phone..... plain and simple. Oh, and the liars looking for a payout. Under 100 cases worldwide. No phones burning up in stores. And the fact that Samsung engineers and a million people holding out haven't had problems makes something seem a little fishy. I still do think they made the best decision for them, as a company.

Exactly. This was the best phone in the last 10 years....but sabotage, fanboy bloggers, poor reporting, media bandwagoning, and charlatans looking for their 15 seconds of fame ruined it.

Oh well.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I called VZW today to do have them note my account for full refund of purchase price and no fees to reactivate my Note 4. The CSR advised me it was my choice to continue using the phone, but once the recall period ends, which she mentioned 12/1, there would be no warranty or technical support or liability on behalf of Samsung and VZW. But she said she has spoken to numerous individuals who intend to keep the phone and take all responsibility and liability on themselves, largely due to the fact there is no good replacement phone available that is not a downgrade. I would assume we will get a warning when that date is coming close, but I too am using the phone until the very last day it is returnable.
So the people keeping them will be charged full price for the phone and have no support whatsoever?

Did you ask if a box (for N7 return) will be sent to you automatically once you activate your N4?
I'm just going to swap the SIM from the N7 into another phone I have laying around. Guess I'd have to call Verizon for a box once I make the switch

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
So the people keeping them will be charged full price for the phone and have no support whatsoever?

Did you ask if a box (for N7 return) will be sent to you automatically once you activate your N4?
I'm just going to swap the SIM from the N7 into another phone I have laying around. Guess I'd have to call Verizon for a box once I make the switch
When the end is announced, I'm taking it into the store for a refund. And the sum from the Note 7 doesn't work in the Note 4, so you'll need to have a newer phone laying around to swap Sims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox