Realistically, what would happen if I decide to keep this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E Padilla

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
There is a small chance your house might burn down? I'm not sure the extent. Actually, your device may well be fine and dandy but Samsung will do a kill switch on it sooner or later that will force you to change it.

JohnT3

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
They already disabled the oculus app so that's already one chop off the block. I was wondering the same thing though. Is it possible to hang on to it for a while and still use? I keep thinking if everyone turns them in and they're all disposed of, maybe they'd have some sort of historical value. lol, that probably sounds stupid

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Honestly... what will happen? NOTHING... maybe Sammy will disable it, but I doubt it... what they (and carriers) Def will not do is support it.

For someone like me, that's generally fine, but for someone that wants security updates, and general os updates, it's a stumbling block...

Basically, the phone will be obsolete in 3 - 6 months...

TomOfTx

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
What legal basis would Samsung or any carrier use to remotely disable a phone that they do not own (for those of us who paid full price and not on some payment plan/lease plan with a carrier). Sure, a carrier could block the use of the device based on the IMEI number. But to actually do anything to physically damage the ability to use the device or blacklist it says major lawsuit. All this fear mongering about what Samsung or a carrier will do to disable the Note 7 is total nonsense. Maybe in some other country, like South Korea, with no constitutional rights afforded to their citizens, but it is not going to happen here in the USA. I dare a carrier like AT&T to try and do such a thing, which they won't because they could care less what phone I use on their network provided the service is paid for.

I am hanging on to my N7 for now, even though I am using another phone as well (iPhone 7+). No rush to turn mine in. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. A $1000 for a phone is no big deal to me. I am mainly interested in finding out more what the actual defect (if any really exists) of the N7. I am just not one who takes the advice of some unqualified bureaucrats at the CPSC. If Samsung has not been able to replicate the supposed defect with the phone, then does it really even exist at all? Eventually I may turn my phone in only because something else better will be available.

hondatech39

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
i am on Verizon and when i went to choose another phone to upgrade to.There was a note on there for anyone with a note 7 will be able to upgrade to another phone.They will send a special box to return the note 7.If they didn't get it back they will charge you for the full cost of the phone.So unless you paid for it in full and not on a payment plan you will have to pay for it at some point if you keep it.There was not date when they want them back by.

Setzer

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm sitting here with my Note 7 in the box. I just got mine last week and had placed the order for it just before the news came out about the one catching fire on the SW flight. I was really looking forward to using this phone. I've taken it out of the box a few times and have turned it on and played around with it....which I probably shouldn't have. I had decided on swapping it out for a V20 but part of me says screw it and just keep it. The tough thing will be not getting any updates for it, like Nougat, and stuff like GearVR not working. Traveling isn't an issue for me since I don't fly anywhere. It's a tough call....but even though mine may not be one of the defective ones I'd hate to go to bed one night with this thing on my nightstand right next to me and it go up in flames. It's just not worth the chance.

James Beam

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
If you read the comments on that the OP says his phone was accidentally placed in a lost/stolen list and service has since returned to his N7. I'm on Verizon and no text like that and service still works.

True. But I can see this eventually happening to all of them, because the carriers won't want the liability of letting people continue to use it on their networks. Even though they did their best to warn people to turn them in and wash their hands of them, if someone were to get injured or die, it's almost guaranteed someone will try and sue. With the excuse being, "Well they never deactivated my phone, so I just assumed it was ok to keep using it!" I'm sure they'll give fair warning before they shut em down. I'm guessing the phone will still have access to 911, but that'll be about it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What legal basis would Samsung or any carrier use to remotely disable a phone that they do not own (for those of us who paid full price and not on some payment plan/lease plan with a carrier). Sure, a carrier could block the use of the device based on the IMEI number. But to actually do anything to physically damage the ability to use the device or blacklist it says major lawsuit. All this fear mongering about what Samsung or a carrier will do to disable the Note 7 is total nonsense. Maybe in some other country, like South Korea, with no constitutional rights afforded to their citizens, but it is not going to happen here in the USA. I dare a carrier like AT&T to try and do such a thing, which they won't because they could care less what phone I use on their network provided the service is paid for.

I am hanging on to my N7 for now, even though I am using another phone as well (iPhone 7+). No rush to turn mine in. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. A $1000 for a phone is no big deal to me. I am mainly interested in finding out more what the actual defect (if any really exists) of the N7. I am just not one who takes the advice of some unqualified bureaucrats at the CPSC. If Samsung has not been able to replicate the supposed defect with the phone, then does it really even exist at all? Eventually I may turn my phone in only because something else better will be available.

South Korea has a constitution, a three branch government and is a democratic republic. Aside from fixing that error, I'll just advise you to move all the political nonsense to the politics section.

Thanks!

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Aside from not being able to fly with it... What are the other downsides?

If God forbid you're device catches fire and either/both injures someone or burns something down.....you'll be hit with 'gross negligence' in court and lose badly.

gross negligence
n. carelessness in reckless disregard for the safety or lives of others, which is so great it appears to be a conscious violation of other people's rights to safety. It is more than simple inadvertence, but it is just shy of being intentionally evil. If one has borrowed or contracted to take care of another's property, then gross negligence is the failure to actively take the care one would of his/her own property. If gross negligence is found by the trier of fact (judge or jury), it can result in the award of punitive damages on top of general and special damages. (See: negligence, damages, punitive damages)

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
If the possibility of your house burning down is not enough to get rid of it then no reason will be good enough. How about the fact that an update will come out to possibly brick the phone and you're just wasting your money. Just go get yourself a new phone with an extra$100 incentive.... There is no reason to be stubborn about this.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If Samsung corporate reps are to be believed (not sure on that):

1. Flight ban is forever
2. Several stealth updates planned to essentially kill the devices (after warnings)
3. Zero customer or warranty support (only return help)
4. IMEI codes blocked

Will some still get through? Yep, but Samsung must show due diligence to avoid huge class action suits if something bad were to actually happen. I still think this has been blown way out of proportion. Especially since Apple has had at least two fires on planes. Where is the safety focus for that? If the litmus is one Note 7 burned up on a plane- why the ever living heck is Apple getting away from the same standard? Ditto for Ecigs that had at least eleven burn events on planes.

IMO, the media (in general) is essentially stupid and the public are lemmings following them over a cliff. Well, the media just watches the public go over the cliff, hiding in their bunker twenty fathoms below sea level.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Where is the safety focus for that? If the litmus is one Note 7 burned up on a plane-

That was just the highest profile case. The CPSC announced that there were 22 other incidents of replacement Notes failing in the US alone. One of those happened to happen on a plane, and had that been the ONLY case, we wouldn't be where we are today.

So basically, they were averaging about 1 sparked up Note 7 a day since the replacement phones made it into the hands of users.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
That was just the highest profile case. The CPSC announced that there were 22 other incidents of replacement Notes failing in the US alone. One of those happened to happen on a plane, and had that been the ONLY case, we wouldn't be where we are today.

So basically, they were averaging about 1 sparked up Note 7 a day since the replacement phones made it into the hands of users.
I thought it said there were 22 cases since the recall. Didn't actually specify that they were replacement units, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01