Goodbye Note 7 and Goodbye Samsung...

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I have been active here and on XDA supporting the Note 7, the Note 5 and the Samsung ecosystem in which I've been immersed, since I purchased my N5 last year. I loved my N5 and was downright crazy about my N7 and I thoroughly enjoyed Samsung's apps, Samsung Pay and my Fit2.

But, as a customer I am frustrated with Samsung and want to voice that. Here's my unfortunate experience:

- Note 7 Recall #1: totally disorganized, inefficient, slow and bad communication from Samsung.
- Note 7 Recall #2: everything Recall #1 was, but worse.
- Wasted time: the time I spent navigating the recall news, contacting my carrier, contacting Samsung and then returning my N7's twice was considerable.
- Samsung's integrity: re-releasing the N7 with the exact same problem, the leaked internal text, questions about whether or not Samsung has any idea what the actually defect is, makes me question their integrity as an organization. I am not convinced that Samsung is customer-first.

Bottom line? I happily have a Pixel XL on order, and I have Samsung's phones, and their ecosystem, in my rear-view mirror.

Frankly, after all this nonsense, it just feels good to be done with Samsung.

-bk

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Understood.

I think both Apple and Samsung are going to kill it next year. I'm a boss and will buy both phone the S8pro and IP8pro (see what I did there).

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I can understand the first recall. But to assure us that the new batch of Note7s were safe, and then having those ones exploding, shows they had no idea what the problem was. I'm also done with Samsung, and Samsung has been my brand for a few years now.

I purchased the iPhone 7 Plus and I'm not looking back.

treedabl

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have been active here and on XDA supporting the Note 7, the Note 5 and the Samsung ecosystem in which I've been immersed, since I purchased my N5 last year. I loved my N5 and was downright crazy about my N7 and I thoroughly enjoyed Samsung's apps, Samsung Pay and my Fit2.

But, as a customer I am frustrated with Samsung and want to voice that. Here's my unfortunate experience:

- Note 7 Recall #1: totally disorganized, inefficient, slow and bad communication from Samsung.
- Note 7 Recall #2: everything Recall #1 was, but worse.
- Wasted time: the time I spent navigating the recall news, contacting my carrier, contacting Samsung and then returning my N7's twice was considerable.
- Samsung's integrity: re-releasing the N7 with the exact same problem, the leaked internal text, questions about whether or not Samsung has any idea what the actually defect is, makes me question their integrity as an organization. I am not convinced that Samsung is customer-first.

Bottom line? I happily have a Pixel XL on order, and I have Samsung's phones, and their ecosystem, in my rear-view mirror.

Frankly, after all this nonsense, it just feels good to be done with Samsung.

-bk
Immersed since the Note 5? That was just last year. I'm not sure how people thought the recalls were supposed to go. Yes, it was a frustrating experience but you're talking about 2.5 million devices over many countries and carriers. How could it have gone better? Did they rush the recall? YES, THEY DID. But, did they own fault pretty quickly. They most certainly did and to some it even seems premature since there hasn't been word of other fires even though a lot of people are still using these devices.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I didn't buy the Note 7, kept my Note 5 and watched the rollout and both recalls, the commotion and disappointment and frustration of many on the forum.

I've posted my distaste for Samsung's poor customer service over the last few years and was waiting for Apple to improve their phone's displays and make their iPhone 7+ smaller and not the beast it is. Maybe the i8+ will be to my liking.

When they do this and make their phones as space efficient as Samsung's, I very well will join them and leave Samsung in my rear view mirror.

I got very tired of wasting time talking to Samsung Tech customer service countless times and hanging up each time. Their customer support... REEKS and unless they drastically change, I like many others will be gone!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If as they probably will, Samsung sticks with sealed batteries I am done with them too. Even though the V20 might have middle road battery life, I will get that, or keep my Note 4 another year. Note 4 has a replaceable battery, working great, similar battery life and better signal reception than the Note 7.

Might consider the V20 since app space is tight on the Note 4, but need to test one out first. Hopefully Samsung gets away from sealed batteries, but hard to pop out of management bubbles in big companies. If they expect to ever get enterprise customers back, they need a removable battery since trust is gone.

Sadly, I predict the "Note 8" (whatever it is called) to have a sealed battery, curved display, no sd slot and no 3.5 mm jack. Samsung's Apple compulsion is pathological. Samsung at least has their curved display for differentiation ;) A feature a lot of people do not like, BTW. A lot do like it as well, but I'm not one of them.

treedabl

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
The thing that makes me know Samsung will be okay is that Samsung's new Chromebook with the stylus was trending on Facebook this morning. People want a certain type of functionality. If Samsung is the one to deliver it then that's what people will buy. The SPen stands out and is what keeps me coming back. Until another company does that well then I won't be switching.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Immersed since the Note 5? That was just last year. I'm not sure how people thought the recalls were supposed to go. Yes, it was a frustrating experience but you're talking about 2.5 million devices over many countries and carriers. How could it have gone better? Did they rush the recall? YES, THEY DID. But, did they own fault pretty quickly. They most certainly did and to some it even seems premature since there hasn't been word of other fires even though a lot of people are still using these devices.

"Immersed since the Note 5? That was just last year."
Sure! "Immersed" means "to involve oneself deeply", doesn't mean "duration". A year and a few months of 100% immersion in the Samsung ecosystem, that's all I am saying.

"I'm not sure how people thought the recalls were supposed to go."
Recalls have been done much better. Here's some background.

If you are comfortable with Samsung and their conduct with this recall, that's great - you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

treedabl

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Sure! "Immersed" means "to involve oneself deeply", doesn't mean "duration". A year and a few months of 100% immersion in the Samsung ecosystem, that's all I am saying.

If you are comfortable with Samsung and their conduct with this recall, that's great - you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
I only pointed out time because you said "since" as if it had something to do with the amount of time that you've been immersed. There are many here who have been all in with the Note series from the beginning of the line.

Your link isn't working but I'm honestly interested in how the recall could have gone better so can you direct me to the correct link. Thanks

allen476

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
I had read the reviews about the Note 7 and decided to take the plunge and get one. I needed a new tablet and phone and decided to kill two birds with one stone.

Never again will I do that. Well at least with Samsung.

I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition. It rarely got updates. It should have been my warning. They didn't want to stand behind a product that soon. I hated Apple more though so I stuck with Samsung. I liked the stylus and the Note was my all-in-one solution. Surely things would be different.

$25 for my trouble. That is what I am worth to Samsung for the hassles of this whole fiasco. $100 if I get another Samsung. Why would I even entertain another one of their phones? None of them have the features that I want, then to top it off I have to look at a phone that will only remind me of a negative experience with a company that doesn't care about us at all.

If Samsung would even want me to entertain the thought of going back to the Note 8, it would have to have...........

1) A removable battery. They could have avoided what happened by making the battery removable. Yes the phone would have been thicker but that thickness would have also meant more room for everything else they tried to cram into it.

2) An aluminum or stainless housing. Plastic looks cheap and glass is too fragile.

3) Keep the headphone jack. Bluetooth headphones aren't even close to wired headphones sound quality wise.

4) Make a flat screen version. I hate the curved edges. Screen protectors have a hard time staying on them as well. You could call them the Note 8 and Note 8 Edge.

I am patiently waiting for the 21st to come so that I can pre-order the LG V20 and put this whole recall thing behind me.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

They did all the things in your link. Did you even read it? What made it difficult is the supply chain and the number of different bodies responsible (like carriers).

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I've only had it 2 days. Ive been with Samsung since the S2. I can't stand the on screen buttons so far. I'll adapt. Havent even had a chance to use the earbuds that were included yet.

There are options to pick what apps to hide the buttons. Better UI in that regard compared to other non Samsung devices.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
They did all the things in your link. Did you even read it? What made it difficult is the supply chain and the number of different bodies responsible (like carriers).

No need for the negativity. Yes I did read it. It's all a matter of opinion as to whether or not Samsung did it right.
I totally get that you are comfortable with Samsung's conduct of this recall.
You are completely entitled to that opinion.

treedabl

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I was coming back to say the exact same thing. It looks like they used this as their guide for the recall. Unfortunately, the replacements weren't "fixed" but other than that every single point was covered. Of course the variable that Toyota didn't have was the need for a total replacement of the device and also individual carriers who have their own levels of ineptitude involved.