Goodbye Note 7 and Goodbye Samsung...

ticketbabe2

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I have been active here and on XDA supporting the Note 7, the Note 5 and the Samsung ecosystem in which I've been immersed, since I purchased my N5 last year. I loved my N5 and was downright crazy about my N7 and I thoroughly enjoyed Samsung's apps, Samsung Pay and my Fit2.

But, as a customer I am frustrated with Samsung and want to voice that. Here's my unfortunate experience:

- Note 7 Recall #1: totally disorganized, inefficient, slow and bad communication from Samsung.
- Note 7 Recall #2: everything Recall #1 was, but worse.
- Wasted time: the time I spent navigating the recall news, contacting my carrier, contacting Samsung and then returning my N7's twice was considerable.
- Samsung's integrity: re-releasing the N7 with the exact same problem, the leaked internal text, questions about whether or not Samsung has any idea what the actually defect is, makes me question their integrity as an organization. I am not convinced that Samsung is customer-first.

Bottom line? I happily have a Pixel XL on order, and I have Samsung's phones, and their ecosystem, in my rear-view mirror.

Frankly, after all this nonsense, it just feels good to be done with Samsung.

-bk
They thought it was the battery, but I read somewhere that it could have been wiring. They used the iPhone battery for replacements & still had units with issues, so hopefully they will figure it out & stop rushing things. I am a HUGE fan of the Note7. I will be waiting for them to do it right under a different name. They should not dump the pen.

tntiger

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
I will go back to Samsung - no question. I took a breather after the second recall and got an iphone (which I may or may not keep - 10 days left to decide) however I truly loved the Note 7 and really wish I could keep it.

I am hoping that many of the suggestions on this list are in the next generation(s) of the Note's successor:

1) A removable battery. They could have avoided what happened by making the battery removable. Yes the phone would have been thicker but that thickness would have also meant more room for everything else they tried to cram into it.

2) An aluminum or stainless housing. Plastic looks cheap and glass is too fragile.

3) Keep the headphone jack. Bluetooth headphones aren't even close to wired headphones sound quality wise.

4) Make a flat screen version. I hate the curved edges. Screen protectors have a hard time staying on them as well. You could call them the Note 8 and Note 8 Edge.
But please don't downgrade the flat screen version!! I don't recall the details but it seems like there were some advantages to getting the S7E over the S7 (aside from the curved edges and edge features).

PortablePete

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Never again with Samsung

So pissed off at the jerks at Samsung. I was so heavily invested in the Samsung ecosystem. Now after two faulty phones and having other minor but annoying issues with two other devices I've had enough. After going with a different phone as well I saw thru their BS and they had better watch out since their peers are.quickly.to become better and surpass their dangerous crappy offerings.

PortablePete

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Never again with Samsung

A moto z force for work and ordered a pixel xl for personal. Now to find a tablet to replace my old note pro.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
All understandable, but I think you're depriving yourself a bit by swearing off Samsung for good. Their flagship offerings really are unmatched. Right now it's the S7 Edge. The combination of hardware, features, and OS make it an easy choice over the Pixel IMO, and of course just leaves Apple in the dust. Granted, the latter isn't difficult to do.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I will say it again, I totally get with it if you leave Samsung due to this and go somewhere else Android, but to jump ecosystems because of this just makes me think that you were never really sold on the Android OS. Yes, the Note7 had things we obviously wanted - but the bottom line is the Android ecosystem and platform that keeps me using Android as my primary phone. (I do have an iPhone 6 which will be upgraded soon.) This isn't an Android problem, it's a Samsung problem - and if I was going to abandon Samsung, I'd be looking at another Android OS phone.

I think the 8 is going to be special for Samsung... 8 is revered as a very lucky number in China and other Asian countries - and I really think Samsung is going to try to hit it out of the park knowing how lucrative that can be.

Likewise with Apple, their 10th Anniversary is next year and who knows what they have in store.

I think next year we're going to see some pretty impressive **** from all sides.

james702283

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Just got back from returning my N7. *tear*. So hard to give up such a great device but the Edge is a nice phone to tie me over and having no contract is nice!

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
All understandable, but I think you're depriving yourself a bit by swearing off Samsung for good. Their flagship offerings really are unmatched. Right now it's the S7 Edge. The combination of hardware, features, and OS make it an easy choice over the Pixel IMO, and of course just leaves Apple in the dust. Granted, the latter isn't difficult to do.

I've got a household full of Samsung stuff, and who knows, I may not swear off Samsung on the phone front for good. I am just not comfortable with the mess we have all been in since early September, and I want to move past this.

I fully appreciate that the S7 is your easy choice over the Pixel for replacing the N7, but not for me. I am very happy to be moving on from the S7/N7 platform and I look forward to the unique aspects of the Pixel. That said, it's not in my hands yet, so it's just a hope at this point. We'll see at the end of the week. :)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have been active here and on XDA supporting the Note 7, the Note 5 and the Samsung ecosystem in which I've been immersed, since I purchased my N5 last year. I loved my N5 and was downright crazy about my N7 and I thoroughly enjoyed Samsung's apps, Samsung Pay and my Fit2.

But, as a customer I am frustrated with Samsung and want to voice that. Here's my unfortunate experience:

- Note 7 Recall #1: totally disorganized, inefficient, slow and bad communication from Samsung.
- Wasted time: the time I spent navigating the recall news, contacting my carrier, contacting Samsung and then returning my N7's twice was considerable.
- Samsung's integrity: re-releasing the N7 with the exact same problem, the leaked internal text, questions about whether or not Samsung has any idea what the actually defect is, makes me question their integrity as an organization. I am not convinced that Samsung is customer-first.

Bottom line? I happily have a Pixel XL on order, and I have Samsung's phones, and their ecosystem, in my rear-view mirror.

-bk

I am moving to the Pixel XL as well, but I will probably be back. I don't blame them for recall issues (#1). It's never happened with smartphones, carriers had not idea what to do, no one had infrastructure in place. this exact scenario (probably worse) would have happened during a recall of any other smartphone at this scale.

Not making sure they were fixed prior to sending out "fixed" ones was an issue for sure - even though 99% of the folks here were saying the opposite - that they were too slow, ("not until 9/21??", etc).

I don't know, it was unfortunate. In this scenario, there weren't any good moves. I'll be back. I quite enjoy Samsung products.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I had read the reviews about the Note 7 and decided to take the plunge and get one. I needed a new tablet and phone and decided to kill two birds with one stone.

Never again will I do that. Well at least with Samsung.

I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition. It rarely got updates. It should have been my warning. They didn't want to stand behind a product that soon. I hated Apple more though so I stuck with Samsung. I liked the stylus and the Note was my all-in-one solution. Surely things would be different.

$25 for my trouble. That is what I am worth to Samsung for the hassles of this whole fiasco. $100 if I get another Samsung. Why would I even entertain another one of their phones? None of them have the features that I want, then to top it off I have to look at a phone that will only remind me of a negative experience with a company that doesn't care about us at all.

If Samsung would even want me to entertain the thought of going back to the Note 8, it would have to have...........

1) A removable battery. They could have avoided what happened by making the battery removable. Yes the phone would have been thicker but that thickness would have also meant more room for everything else they tried to cram into it.

2) An aluminum or stainless housing. Plastic looks cheap and glass is too fragile.

3) Keep the headphone jack. Bluetooth headphones aren't even close to wired headphones sound quality wise.

4) Make a flat screen version. I hate the curved edges. Screen protectors have a hard time staying on them as well. You could call them the Note 8 and Note 8 Edge.

I am patiently waiting for the 21st to come so that I can pre-order the LG V20 and put this whole recall thing behind me.
I have the same tablet and mine needs a battery but other than that it has been great for work and movies. I hate they didn't really update it but at the same time it works fine.

jpprice14

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
There are options to pick what apps to hide the buttons. Better UI in that regard compared to other non Samsung devices.
I had a iPhone 3gs and changed to a S2. All I know is Samsung. Starting to dig this phone the more I use it. This hi-fi mode with the headphones included are legit. Yeah there is a hide app option I beleive I seen it in the menu. Nougat seems smooth.

jpprice14

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I had a iPhone 3gs and changed to a S2. All I know is Samsung. Starting to dig this phone the more I use it. This hi-fi mode with the headphones included are legit. Yeah there is a hide app option I beleive I seen it in the menu. Nougat seems smooth.
S2 up to the note 7 I've never left Samsung is what I was getting at. And the screen buttons seem more manageable after I turned them black instead of white.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

-bk
I can kind of mirror your experience. I can also tell you that Samsung is not wanting to replace my Note7 because I got it for free so they assume they don't owe me anything. They just want me to send my device back.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
i dunno, Samsung is like heroin to me. I've sworn that dang company off MANY times, their overpriced & often undelivered devices have burned me several times. But that was all between 2010 & 2015... I can honestly say they have so, "stepped up their game" in a really good way, even with their mid range devices, where they once were plastic-y, slow, overpriced and ugly and stuttered & lagged like crazy and tried to milk the flagship "Galaxy" name for all it was worth, even their mid rangers now deliver well designed, lag free, smooth & enjoyable visual experiences with excellent battery life & cameras.....and their flagship S7 is just about at the top of the food chain, except for, er, um, ahhh, you know who.... (rhymes with Boat Heaven : )

Writing off Samsung now (when they FINALLY "get it") would be the last thing i would do....

i suggest giving it a little time to let the bad taste in your mouth subside, and give them another shot in 2017....

BTC

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
i understand where you are coming from, but you shouldn't give up on a brand because of one phone that went bad. You have owned Samsung products before and all went well.Sometimes a new brand is good because you can compare it to Samsung and maybe, just maybe, in the future switch back? :)