Absent a recall, would you have returned your Note 7 due to the reported issues?

nobrakes

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Tired of reading about people telling others to return their Note 7s because they are endangering themselves and others. Really? I've seen videos of hammer tests and drop tests and abuse of the Note 7 and didn't see any explosions or fire. There is nothing wrong with this phone. Can anyone replicate the issue with normal use? Show me and I'll believe it. If it wasn't for the recall most of us probably wouldn't return the phone. I know I wouldn't have but I did cause I didn't want to deal with problems that may come from keeping it because I do travel. Or not being able to bring it in buildings or venues. There are risks with everything in life and the Note 7 wasn't one of them for me. People who are keeping it knows what the consequences are and that's their problem they have to deal with. Just because you returned your phone, don't use some lame excuse to why you think the next person should return theirs.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
In regard to 'there is nothing wrong with this phone', I'm not inclined to agree. Samsung would not have issued a worldwide recall if the device was safe.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
We're all entitled to our own opinions, and I agree with you, I'd like to keep my Note. I like it. There's no phone that will match it. BUT it is a risk. You're doing the same thing you're accusing others of: Justifying your desire to keep the phone by minimizing the risk it poses.

The phone, unfortunately, has manufacturing issues, and ones they could not surmount on round 2. Is it minimal? Yes. Is it important? Absolutely. Is it worth risking damage, injury, or death? Not at all. It's like playing Russian Roulette on a 10000-bullet-hole gun. Sure, chances are you won't lose. But that one bullet will eventually fire. And I'd rather not have me, my family, or a whole plane get sick or injured or worse just because I want to keep my phone.

And I'm beyond flustered and annoyed that I'm already traveling and can't bring my phone back with me. But I understand the ban, will comply with it, and encourage others to do the same, no matter how many 'oh, come on! my phone doesn't even get hot!' phones we have out there. IT'S. NOT. WORTH. IT.

His Majesty

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm not so much concerned about my safety as I am the fact that this N7 is going to be a very expensive MP3 player in a short while. No updates, possible kill switch activation, constant badgering by my carrier to return it.

Not worth the hassle.

V20, here I come.

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much a crap-shoot _unless_ we know that "xmxmxm's batteries with serial numbers nnnn thru nnnnn" are liable to over heat and cause a fire.
So I sorta agree. Put it a little strong though, I wouldn't want to sit next to one on a plane!

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
There have been several new reports in Asia. But they have found that the use of aftermarket charger and or cable was the cause. I fired my N7 back up because of the facts cpsc cannot determine cause and won't admit it jumped the gun on this 2nd recall. Carriers are already charging people repeatedly for this fiasco. I dont fly and I don't care if you like it or not that we keep the N7. I bought a Ford Pinto in the 90's and I can tell you this. Not once did they say that car is a danger to everyone. Nope registered it and drove it til I traded it in and got more than 10x what I paid for it. Quit telling us it's dangerous. If you use cheap cables and chargers then guess what your phone may burn up.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Tired of reading about people telling others to return their Note 7s because they are endangering themselves and others. Really? I've seen videos of hammer tests and drop tests and abuse of the Note 7 and didn't see any explosions or fire. There is nothing wrong with this phone. Can anyone replicate the issue with normal use? Show me and I'll believe it. If it wasn't for the recall most of us probably wouldn't return the phone. I know I wouldn't have but I did cause I didn't want to deal with problems that may come from keeping it because I do travel. Or not being able to bring it in buildings or venues. There are risks with everything in life and the Note 7 wasn't one of them for me. People who are keeping it knows what the consequences are and that's their problem they have to deal with. Just because you returned your phone, don't use some lame excuse to why you think the next person should return theirs.
They lost about another 2 billion in the 2nd recall and God knows how much in future sales...You honestly think this phone is fine?....Even if you do the decision is made and it's been recalled.....You cannot update....Fix...Sell the device in the future.....Why would you want to do that to yourself....It was a good phone but not good enough to risk the 900 dollars you spent on it....

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
This. Samsung wouldn't cancel a product if nothing was wrong with it.

Not trying to say N7 has no issue, but Samsung had to kill N7 because nobody gives them chance. Nobody is giving them time to investigate if reports are true, phones' companies started refunding/replacing N7 on their own, airlines started banning N7, all without any official statement from Samsung whether the replacement units are truly still defective.

Of course high chance is N7 really still has an issue, but Samsung had to kill it so fast because they simply had no other choice.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Samsung loses 13-15 BILLION dollars on a recall for fun. There really isn't anything wrong with the phone, and it most definitely won't happen to you..........

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

Whatever!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Samsung had to kill it so fast because they simply had no other choice.

I think if the replacement hadn't caught fire so quickly after the first recall things would have been different. But with the device under such a large microscope due to the initial reports, it may not have mattered when the next phone failed, as long as a Note 7 did fail.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
And then there were those reports of replacement phones that were turned off, not charging, not being used, still combusting. The batteries have defects. Period. I hate it and and I hate that I'm being affected by the travel ban, but I totally understand it. It won't make me happier, it won't make my trip less complicated now, but I get it. Wish it was possible to just throw all of them into a fire-proof box on a plane's isolated area, but nope.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I think if the replacement hadn't caught fire so quickly after the first recall things would have been different. But with the device under such a large microscope due to the initial reports, it may not have mattered when the next phone failed, as long as a Note 7 did fail.

It was actually quite peaceful for two weeks plus after I replaced my N7 (our replacement started 16 Sep) and suddenly after the case on the plane (5 Oct), new cases started coming non-stop everyday and it was all over within a week. It just felt so unreal to me.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Tired of reading about people telling others to return their Note 7s because they are endangering themselves and others.

This isn't a case of us just telling people to return their phones...

CPSC has issued a full recall of the product due to product safety concerns

DOT Bans All Samsung Galaxy Note7 Phones from Airplanes

In addition to that, Samsung has canceled the entire Note 7 line.

This isn't a product of an overreaction, or some fabricated controversy over a phantom issue. All the players involved have recognized that the phone is unsafe... Yes, other phones have suffered battery failures, but the Note 7 was failing at a rate that was several orders of magnitude greater. No one, even the party that manufactured the phone, wants anyone to use them.

People who are keeping it knows what the consequences are and that's their problem they have to deal with.

Let's looks at this... the thing is, if you keep this phone, you might be the one accepting the risk, but you wouldn't be the only one that potentially had to deal with the consequences. Let's say this sucker goes up on your nightstand and starts a serious fire... you are risking your life, those around you and the lives of the first responders who will have to come and deal with the fire. Let's say it goes up while it sits on the seat of your car... do you think the people driving the other cars on the road will be fine with your accepting their risk?

My wife didn't want to trade hers in either... she really liked using it. But returning the phone is also the only option a reasonable person should take. Return it.

Mark Valentine

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone thought that Samsung possibly decided to end production of the Note 7 because of the cultural difference? Remember that Samsung is a household name in their home country and they're held to a very high standard. I'm sure there is a good amount of people who knows that South Korea is very critical about how their public image is represented to the rest of the world. So they issued the first recall, but I'm pretty sure that once they started to receive new reports and claims regarding the same issue with the "safe" Note 7's. They decided to save face by stopping sales as well as production and to take the loss instead of risking more media backlash that would possibly tarnish the companys name and reputation even further. The public apology from the head of Samsung supports my opinion even more, but I'm sure others will say otherwise.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There are still cases happening. That they're not being covered by the media en-mass anymore it's a different story. It's already been recalled, and unless it happens on a plane or at a public venue, it will just get filed for damages and that's it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Like Spook and others, I would have loved to keep using the Note 7.

But what's done is done. Samsung has already killed the Note 7, the CPSC has already issued a second recall and you can't travel with one without being considered a criminal.

I've returned mine recently. It was really sad to see it go, but I have to move on, and so do we.

It's also worth noting that I also got a text one day that told me to power it down and participate in the program ​immediately.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It was actually quite peaceful for two weeks plus after I replaced my N7 (our replacement started 16 Sep) and suddenly after the case on the plane (5 Oct), new cases started coming non-stop everyday and it was all over within a week. It just felt so unreal to me.

I agree that everything was quiet for a while. but coming back to how much scrutiny the N7 was under, it may not have mattered how much time passed before the next one failed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair