Absent a recall, would you have returned your Note 7 due to the reported issues?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone thought that Samsung possibly decided to end production of the Note 7 because of the cultural difference? Remember that Samsung is a household name in their home country and they're held to a very high standard. I'm sure there is a good amount of people who knows that South Korea is very critical about how their public image is represented to the rest of the world. So they issued the first recall, but I'm pretty sure that once they started to receive new reports and claims regarding the same issue with the "safe" Note 7's. They decided to save face by stopping sales as well as production and to take the loss instead of risking more media backlash that would possibly tarnish the companys name and reputation even further. The public apology from the head of Samsung supports my opinion even more, but I'm sure others will say otherwise.

The idea of their image may have been the reason that the first recall happened so quickly. If this would have been almost any other company, there probably would have been another few weeks before they admitted, 'yup, we need to see this.'

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I agree that everything was quiet for a while. but coming back to how much scrutiny the N7 was under, it may not have mattered how much time passed before the next one failed.

I mean I am actually skeptical this issue will be totally resolved, and I do expect to hear a few cases here and there. Just dun understand how it can be quiet for two weeks, then suddenly a truckload of cases just came non-stop together.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone watch the video on YouTube? What foes it take to make a Note 7 explode. Just watch and tell me and everyone else that wants to keep it what exactly is wrong if even they had to put into the fire so to speak to make it burn up.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I mean I am actually skeptical this issue will be totally resolved, and I do expect to hear a few cases here and there. Just dun understand how it can be quiet for two weeks, then suddenly a truckload of cases just came non-stop together.

Some may have been bogus. There is always that possibility. But I think once Samsung confirmed that some were replacement N7s, that's when they stopped pulling punches on how to deal with this.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Tired of reading about people telling others to return their Note 7s because they are endangering themselves and others. Really? I've seen videos of hammer tests and drop tests and abuse of the Note 7 and didn't see any explosions or fire. There is nothing wrong with this phone. Can anyone replicate the issue with normal use? Show me and I'll believe it. If it wasn't for the recall most of us probably wouldn't return the phone. I know I wouldn't have but I did cause I didn't want to deal with problems that may come from keeping it because I do travel. Or not being able to bring it in buildings or venues. There are risks with everything in life and the Note 7 wasn't one of them for me. People who are keeping it knows what the consequences are and that's their problem they have to deal with. Just because you returned your phone, don't use some lame excuse to why you think the next person should return theirs.

Wow, seriously? Way to put yourself and others at risk. There's a reason the phone is recalled.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Well, it takes a little bit for the replacement units to finally make it into people's hands... so that 'in the wild' number has to climb a bit. It wasn't as if all of the phones would fail, it was actually a very small percentage, so law of averages states that it was going to be a little bit before we started to hear stories... which themselves would take a little bit to filter through. The reason why the Southwest one went nuclear from the get go was that it occurred on a plane.

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
I mean no disrespect to any on the moderators, i know your have a difficult job with stuff like this. I can not think of a nicer way of asking this question, so again i am not wanting to stir up trouble.

my questions is;

Is there a place on this forum where those of us who are keeping the note 7 can share our thoughts and experiences. Can there be a thread that profess the intention of keeping the note 7 (even though we are fully aware of the risk) without having the mods feel the need to pile on with all of the same type of responses that we have heard over and over. I fully understand that other folks will comment with the same type of comments, and as long as we do not engage them then they most likely will leave.

Just looking for a thread for those of us who are taking the risk to be able to share our experiences.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm not really sure what all the denial and defiance is about. Samsung has issued clear as day warnings and told everyone to turn their phones in. It's not as if anyone is on the hook for their 900 dollar phone...why fight what seems like common sense and the freedom to walk away from the phone cost free?

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I mean no disrespect to any on the moderators, i know your have a difficult job with stuff like this. I can not think of a nicer way of asking this question, so again i am not wanting to stir up trouble.

my questions is;

Is there a place on this forum where those of us who are keeping the note 7 can share our thoughts and experiences. Can there be a thread that profess the intention of keeping the note 7 (even though we are fully aware of the risk) without having the mods feel the need to pile on with all of the same type of responses that we have heard over and over. I fully understand that other folks will comment with the same type of comments, and as long as we do not engage them then they most likely will leave.

Just looking for a thread for those of us who are taking the risk to be able to share our experiences.
Starting to look like we need a new place to discuss this. Mods are deleting left and right just because they can. No one seems to be allowed to discuss anything for fear of deleting or banning.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Can there be a thread that profess the intention of keeping the note 7

I personally don't see why not. As long as the rules are being observed, engaging troublemakers doesn't happen and reports are filed when necessary, I personally see nothing wrong with it.

Edit: I will pass this on to the MTL.

Mark Valentine

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
IIRC, in the official statement from Samsung, they used the term "urge." Which doesn't necessarily mean that they're demanding that all note 7 owners have to give up or turn in their devices. Or maybe it was T-Mobiles statment, but yeah I'm just saying...

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
IIRC, in the official statement from Samsung, they used the term "urge." Which doesn't necessarily mean that they're demanding that all note 7 owners have to give up or turn in their devices. I'm just saying...

But then they are asking all to power down and stop using?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I will echo what has been said previously. Samsung knows there's a serious problem with the Note7 which is why they killed it. They're in the business to make money, not lose billions. I don't need to know how many times the Note7 caught fire to know it's not safe. The fact that Samsung killed the phone costing them billions of dollars in revenue and market share tells me that Samsung believes that leaving the phone in the wild would eventually cost them much, much more than what they've already lost.

However, if you want to keep the phone, keep it. It's not my job to tell you what to do with your money and safety. I just hope you're only endangering yourself with your decision and not others who didn't sign up for the risk.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Starting to look like we need a new place to discuss this. Mods are deleting left and right just because they can. No one seems to be allowed to discuss anything for fear of deleting or banning.

I'm going to object to this statement because no threads have been deleted from this section since the 12th and that one was promoting illegal activities and no one has been banned for anything other than spam or illegal activities in over a week. The two mentions of illegal activities here are not the same instance, the one on the 12th was given a warning.

Mark Valentine

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I will echo what has been said previously. Samsung knows there's a serious problem with the Note7 which is why they killed it. They're in the business to make money, not lose billions. I don't need to know how many times the Note7 caught fire to know it's not safe. The fact that Samsung killed the phone costing them billions of dollars in revenue and market share tells me that Samsung believes that leaving the phone in the wild would eventually cost them much, much more than what they've already lost.

However, if you want to keep the phone, keep it. It's not my job to tell you what to do with your money and safety. I just hope you're only endangering yourself with your decision and not others who didn't sign up for the risk.
Yeah we heard it the first time, everyone has different opinions about this. They're adults, so they will choose to go by what they believe in and what they want. We are aware of the risks and chances of being in the 0.001% (merely a rough estimate) of devices that will be faulty.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

my questions is;

There has already been a number of threads from those professing their desire to keep the phone, but people who disagree post their thoughts as well. So, I don't think you will ever end up with a private thread. Maybe a Facebook group would solve the issue.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

my questions is;

I'm seeing at least 5 threads to this effect on the front page of the Note 7 section and most threads have people coming in and saying that they aren't returning it, etc.

As far as moderator responses in those threads, the moderators have received no instructions from me or anyone else to rush in and shut down discussion, whether it actually helps people get devices returned or not. They're offering their opinions and as long as they do so within the rules, that's just a person sharing their thoughts. If I see any adverse actions or threats of adverse action for posts that a moderator disagrees with but cannot point to a clear rule violation, I will address those but otherwise they're free to share their opinions on any topics that they choose to, just as you all are.

The actual directions that we gave the moderator team was to jump in to the section, stay friendly, moderate as usual and make sure that people looking for help to get out of this screwy situation are able to find it.

If you want to make another specific thread for those who aren't returning it, feel free - but we can't keep people that disagree with you out and we need to make sure that discussion stays within the rules, etc. but otherwise it's just another conversation.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Tired of reading about people telling others to return their Note 7s because they are endangering themselves and others. Really? I've seen videos of hammer tests and drop tests and abuse of the Note 7 and didn't see any explosions or fire. There is nothing wrong with this phone. Can anyone replicate the issue with normal use? Show me and I'll believe it. If it wasn't for the recall most of us probably wouldn't return the phone. I know I wouldn't have but I did cause I didn't want to deal with problems that may come from keeping it because I do travel. Or not being able to bring it in buildings or venues. There are risks with everything in life and the Note 7 wasn't one of them for me. People who are keeping it knows what the consequences are and that's their problem they have to deal with. Just because you returned your phone, don't use some lame excuse to why you think the next person should return theirs.

The Note 7 was an amazing phone; the best phone I have ever owned. It broke my heart to have to give it up, and I personally think this whole sordid affair could take up an entire chapter in a Riply’s Believe it or Not book. I think there are valid reasons why some might feel there was sabotage involved in its demise, but it is what it is. The phone is dead and keeping it will only prove to be an inconvenience between the lack of phone support, the constant badgering from carriers and not being able to use it on planes and other places. While not trying to advise anyone of what I think he or she to do, figuring out plan B will help ease the pain. I was not happy jumping to plan B, but I did and now I can move on from this and look forward to another great device in the near future to make up for the loss of the N7.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
They lost about another 2 billion in the 2nd recall and God knows how much in future sales...You honestly think this phone is fine?....Even if you do the decision is made and it's been recalled.....You cannot update....Fix...Sell the device in the future.....Why would you want to do that to yourself....It was a good phone but not good enough to risk the 900 dollars you spent on it....

It is worse than they are saying. Samsung makes about 30 percent margin on phones (net). If 3.1 billion in profits are estimated by Samsung, that would mean about ten billion in revenue. Removable battery cost would have been 100 times less at about a hundred million for just dispositioning batteries.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey