10-28-2016 08:26 PM
73 123
tools
    Here's another one that will probably happen soon also: Seattle law firm looks to file class action over Samsung Note 7 smartphones | Legal News Line

It's a shame this has happened. I like Samsung and I loved the Note 7, but I definitely don't like how they have mismanaged this.
    Wasn't it found that the fire referenced in the article was actually started by a Samsung phone OTHER than a Note 7?

I'm trying to figure out what people feel they're entitled to from Samsung beyond a refund of device cost - which they're getting, either from Samsung or their carrier as well as a $100 credit if they stick with a Samsung device. The fight about activation fees and accessories should be with the carriers or other vendors/manufacturers.
    10-18-2016 05:15 PM
    Its certainly a strange issue and odd that reports have seemed to just go away. Something is a miss is phoneland for sure. Agree the manufacturer should be testing for reasonable, everyday stress from usage, etc. But let's not forget all the issues around the screen scratching so easily, which turned out to be a poor testing ovetsite.
    10-18-2016 07:22 PM
    Actually, if this was actually real, then here's the deal. Phones explode/catch fire, consider these then damaged devices evidence. They get sent in to be examined by expert analysts in the field. This alone would explain what was the problem with these supposed faulty products IF this was actually the case.
    The fact that the supposed owners of these supposed exploded Note 7's refused to turn their devices in speaks volumes!
    10-18-2016 08:15 PM
    What if the problem boils down to software? The N7 had different software than the S7. What if there is a software glitch causing the phone not to recognize the battery is at 100% and it's overcharging? If you think about it, they switched battery suppliers for the replacement phones and there were still problems so it seems like it wasn't the battery. Also the N7 wasn't the first Samsung with fast charging so I doubt that caused it. The curved screen on the N7 is waaaaay more subtle than the one on the S7E and those were fine so it probably isn't the curved screen. I think it could either be a software issue or, like someone else mentioned, the water-proofing process. I hope it is a software fix and then they can simply re-flash all those Note 7's they have sitting around and sell me one! (Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?) Anyway, I hope they get it ironed out soon and I hope they don't trash the whole Note line. Even if they rename it, I want my 5.7 inch Galaxy with an S-pen!
    TomOfTx, Bbarbie, dejanh and 2 others like this.
    10-18-2016 08:17 PM
    OMG everybody's an expert!!
    Cary Quinn likes this.
    10-18-2016 08:48 PM
    OMG everybody's an expert!!
    Omg everybody blindly believes the media propaganda
    athenatp, TomOfTx, dejanh and 3 others like this.
    10-18-2016 08:51 PM
    It's a shame how lawsuits always follow stuff like this. People's entitlement mindset makes me sick. They're giving refunds on top of credits and free gear they didn't have to. No one deserves any more.
    TomOfTx, T48, delynnie and 3 others like this.
    10-19-2016 12:27 AM
    It's a shame how lawsuits always follow stuff like this. People's entitlement mindset makes me sick. They're giving refunds on top of credits and free gear they didn't have to. No one deserves any more.
    I don't know about no one deserving more. People that had it burn up on them or had to go through big issues. I don't think that's entitlement. Samsung screwed up. Now people just taking advantage of a situation is another story.
    10-19-2016 02:00 AM
    Omg everybody blindly believes the media propaganda
    Worked pretty well with the early report of Gorilla Glass 5 being nearly as soft as plastic based on the video of one blogger. That story was trumpeted over and over. I bet most people do not even know it was false and just go by what they heard on social media. It was an error by the blogger. I do not think it was malicious on his part.

I am not actively using my Note 7, though I will not turn it in until I see the root cause of these fires. I do not think less of someone who turned their N7 in. A $900 phone is a lot of money to waste for some people. At the same time I pretty much ignore all the fear mongers. I have spent more than 25 years transporting truckloads full of explosives and other dangerous items for the military that make this exploding N7 look silly. I am more concerned about some fool crashing into me out on the road because they are too busy chasing Pokemon that a N7 burning up. You have to put things into perspective, but hey, maybe some people have lived such a sheltered life that a phone catching on fire scares them!
    10-19-2016 02:41 AM
    You have to put things into perspective, but hey, maybe some people have lived such a sheltered life that a phone catching on fire scares them!
    When my 6 year old is playing Geometry Dash with the phone on his lap, I'd rather not have it burning his leg...

Look, no one is ripping the phone out of your hands and if you want to continue using it, go ahead. But the notion that the recall was caused by some conspiracy or overhyped media reaction is silly. The phone is dangerous.... yes, anything with a LiPo battery can fail like this, but this sucker goes up at a rate several orders of magnitude greater. You're a driver... let me ask you this. You work for a company and they walk you out to the yard and point out a few rigs you can drive. One, the fancy one on the end with all the bells and whistles, is a 1000 times more likely to have its wheels fall off and drive you into a ditch without so much as a hint of warning and they have no idea why. The others are all far safer. Which one would you drive?

The phone was recalled because it is a substantial risk to its user.... the media didn't cause that, a bunch of chicken littles didn't cause that... Samsung et. al. came to that conclusion because the phone is not safe.

Why do I keep hammering this point? I am not trying to convince anyone here to be honest most of you have made up your minds, but I don't want someone new to this site coming into this thread, looking for info, and going away thinking that there's no reason to stop using the phone. There is...
    10-19-2016 07:32 AM
    I wish I could get in on this class action. Alas, I'm in Canada and we only had less than 40,000 Note 7s sold. Very unlikely to be able to get a class action suit going here with those numbers of total sales.
    Class action lawsuits are usually full of bull**** and they serve only to benefit the law firm and the class representatives. They are going to walk away with a settlement with tens and hundreds of thousands and perhaps millions but the rest of the class will get like a $5 credit to use at the Samsung store or something.
    Like he says sit on it in jeans and drop it. That could be the cause as well. That's the problem here. No one would admit to having sat on it and bent it. That is why I never put a phone in my pocket.
    brau0303 and T48 like this.
    10-19-2016 09:14 AM
    if someone decided to Sue Samsung, that's up to them, I don't really see where that changes anything. Regarding the Note 8, The beauty of an unannounced/unreleased product is just that, If there were common components/design aspects carried from the N7, They could scrap it and and do a full redesign. (would it cost some money to do, Absolutely! but way cheaper to do that than the cost of the Note 7 fiasco) IMHO.

Cheers,
    BR
    RIP N7
    10-19-2016 09:37 AM
    I am a bit confused about the class action suit that has been filed. It appears that each state will have to determine to be a part of it or start their own. This per news on the TV.
    10-19-2016 09:56 AM
    If Samsung wants to duplicate the issue I think they need to put the phones in tight jeans, bend over, sit down on them, and then drop them on the floor several times. I believe the study that thinks the batteries are in tight quarters and are being damaged by situations like that, just my opinion.
    Actually agree. But more so for humor. That would be an entire comedy skit right there & you know working at Samsung HQ has to have been pretty hellish for the past couple of months. Even if they still did not find the issue, it may solve other issues.
    10-19-2016 10:04 AM
    When my 6 year old is playing Geometry Dash with the phone on his lap, I'd rather not have it burning his leg...

Look, no one is ripping the phone out of your hands and if you want to continue using it, go ahead. But the notion that the recall was caused by some conspiracy or overhyped media reaction is silly. The phone is dangerous.... yes, anything with a LiPo battery can fail like this, but this sucker goes up at a rate several orders of magnitude greater. You're a driver... let me ask you this. You work for a company and they walk you out to the yard and point out a few rigs you can drive. One, the fancy one on the end with all the bells and whistles, is a 1000 times more likely to have its wheels fall off and drive you into a ditch without so much as a hint of warning and they have no idea why. The others are all far safer. Which one would you drive?

The phone was recalled because it is a substantial risk to its user.... the media didn't cause that, a bunch of chicken littles didn't cause that... Samsung et. al. came to that conclusion because the phone is not safe.

Why do I keep hammering this point? I am not trying to convince anyone here to be honest most of you have made up your minds, but I don't want someone new to this site coming into this thread, looking for info, and going away thinking that there's no reason to stop using the phone. There is...
    I am not talking about any conspiracy theory. I want to know what really is causing the fires that resulted in Samsung recalling the N7 twice. The replacement N7 was supposed to be safe, and in less than 3 weeks that changed. If Samsung does not know, why should anyone have confidence in future devices they sell. If you do not know the cause of these fires either, then throwing out numbers that the N7 is so much more dangerous than other devices with a LiPo battery is just an opinion. Myself and some others do not have faith in a bunch of bureaucrats at the CPSC, who rubber stamped the replacement N7 as being safe, and then quickly says the opposite. Show me what the real cause is and if they cannot, then the real dangers of continuing to use the N7 are not really known.

As for driving a rig more dangerous than others just because it has more bells and whistles, suddenly the N7 is 1000 times more dangerous? LOL. This is one of the reasons I have no interest in driving a Tesla.
    10-19-2016 10:25 AM
    suddenly the N7 is 1000 times more dangerous? LOL. This is one of the reasons I have no interest in driving a Tesla.
    In terms of failure rate, I'd say that's not far fetched... 100+ failures in the US alone in the span of, what maybe 6 weeks? A phone like the S7, which has a much higher number of units in use - and fewer reported failures (or we'd be hearing the howls to have that recalled too) - over a span of 8+ months....

Look, like I said, use it if you want, but the phone isn't safe.... so unsafe that its been pulled from the shelves and Samsung has taken a multi-billion dollar kick to the crotch over the mess.
    10-19-2016 10:55 AM
    The problem for Samsung is that they are trying to recreate an issue that has happened in a statistically small number of devices.
    So then, here's the deal. The Phones that actually did explode/catch fire, consider these then damaged devices evidence. They get sent in to be examined by Expert Analysts in the field. This alone would explain what was the problem with these supposed faulty products IF this was actually the case.
    The fact that the supposed owners of these supposed exploded Note 7's refused to turn their devices in speaks volumes!
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    10-19-2016 10:57 AM
    Worked pretty well with the early report of Gorilla Glass 5 being nearly as soft as plastic based on the video of one blogger. That story was trumpeted over and over. I bet most people do not even know it was false and just go by what they heard on social media. It was an error by the blogger. I do not think it was malicious on his part.

I am not actively using my Note 7, though I will not turn it in until I see the root cause of these fires. I do not think less of someone who turned their N7 in. A $900 phone is a lot of money to waste for some people. At the same time I pretty much ignore all the fear mongers. I have spent more than 25 years transporting truckloads full of explosives and other dangerous items for the military that make this exploding N7 look silly. I am more concerned about some fool crashing into me out on the road because they are too busy chasing Pokemon that a N7 burning up. You have to put things into perspective, but hey, maybe some people have lived such a sheltered life that a phone catching on fire scares them!
    Thank You!!! You are my man! You speak the language!
    10-19-2016 11:00 AM
    My Note 3 has never had a battery problem! So much for GLUED in Batteries.
    10-19-2016 11:07 AM
    I just don't think the S8 has much to do with the faulty Note, except perhaps in terms of PR ( it will obviously play better if the issues surrounding the Note are clearly explained).

But the S line has not been affected by this, and will likely have a different design, battery, processor and feature set.

The Note 7 had a very rare perfect storm happen to it. I doubt it will ever happen again.
    10-19-2016 11:15 AM
    In terms of failure rate, I'd say that's not far fetched... 100+ failures in the US alone in the span of, what maybe 6 weeks? A phone like the S7, which has a much higher number of units in use - and fewer reported failures (or we'd be hearing the howls to have that recalled too) - over a span of 8+ months....

Look, like I said, use it if you want, but the phone isn't safe.... so unsafe that its been pulled from the shelves and Samsung has taken a multi-billion dollar kick to the crotch over the mess.
    I am not saying there is no risk using the N7. I keep my N7 in a fire proof LiPo safety bag. I just want a more clear determination of the cause of these fires. The manner in which Samsung (and the CPSC) quickly recalled the N7, shipped out new "safe" replacement N7's, then soon after recalled all N7's including the "safe" replacement ones, just smells incompetent to me. If Samsung or someone else is able to determine the cause of the fires, great, at least this way going forward the public may have more confidence in future devices Samsung is selling.

I have no vested interest in the outcome of the N7 investigations other than to be an informed consumer for future purchases. Sorry, but I do not take what a government agency says as the gospel when they do not know the cause of the problem with the N7 either.
    10-19-2016 11:20 AM
    I am not saying there is no risk using the N7. I keep my N7 in a fire proof LiPo safety bag. I just want a more clear determination of the cause of these fires. The manner in which Samsung (and the CPSC) quickly recalled the N7, shipped out new "safe" replacement N7's, then soon after recalled all N7's including the "safe" replacement ones, just smells incompetent to me. If Samsung or someone else is able to determine the cause of the fires, great, at least this way going forward the public may have more confidence in future devices Samsung is selling.
    Oh most def. And that is precisely why Samsung is not only going to have to find and isolate the root cause, but be extremely transparent in terms of releasing that to the public... They lost the 'trust us, we found it' card when the 'safe' Notes started going south.
    TomOfTx likes this.
    10-19-2016 11:51 AM
    I am hearing things at work that samsung is going outo of business in the mobile department and that even blackberry may buy them ... hope not because I love samsung phones until they blow up that is.. I can't get myself to like pixel phone it looks like an iPhone ... there is no pretty phone out there either personally only s7 edge in pink gold I guess. So if samsung tru.you can't find the issue and announce it for real then they will have issues with s8 line and trust for sure
    10-19-2016 01:49 PM
    I almost had the thought that someone within Samsung or one of their affiliates was trying to sabotage Samsung by doing something to the batteries....I mean I wouldn't rule that possibility out
    10-19-2016 02:56 PM
    I am hearing things at work that samsung is going outo of business in the mobile department and that even blackberry may buy them ...
    i might be one of the few but i TOTALLY could see them closing/selling their mobile division after this debacle... Just a few short years ago i would have said, "noooooooo way", but having seen Sony sell off their laptop division, Toshiba completely discontinue the production of computers/laptops and how Nokia was once the "King" in cell phone production and is barely a pawn in the business today, i can easily see this occurring. Especially when those companies demise wasn't even due to ONE Particular thing.

i've been "all in" with Sammy for years, but if they take their chips and go home & close their mobile doors, sadly a big chunk of my life involves, "sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for their next best thing", but honestly, i can EASILY see it : (

Samsung hit with lawsuit over note7 & s8 may halt-all-in2.jpg

BTC
    10-19-2016 05:52 PM
73 123