10-28-2016 08:26 PM
73 123
tools
    Worked pretty well with the early report of Gorilla Glass 5 being nearly as soft as plastic based on the video of one blogger. That story was trumpeted over and over. I bet most people do not even know it was false and just go by what they heard on social media. It was an error by the blogger. I do not think it was malicious on his part.

I am not actively using my Note 7, though I will not turn it in until I see the root cause of these fires. I do not think less of someone who turned their N7 in. A $900 phone is a lot of money to waste for some people. At the same time I pretty much ignore all the fear mongers. I have spent more than 25 years transporting truckloads full of explosives and other dangerous items for the military that make this exploding N7 look silly. I am more concerned about some fool crashing into me out on the road because they are too busy chasing Pokemon that a N7 burning up. You have to put things into perspective, but hey, maybe some people have lived such a sheltered life that a phone catching on fire scares them!
    Omg thank you! I'm so tired of ppl acting as if these phones are just spontaneously combusting ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    10-19-2016 09:13 PM
    Class action lawsuits are usually full of bull**** and they serve only to benefit the law firm and the class representatives. They are going to walk away with a settlement with tens and hundreds of thousands and perhaps millions but the rest of the class will get like a $5 credit to use at the Samsung store or something.
    Not always... while I'll agree this Samsung one is, I was part of a class action lawsuit against Audi for water leaking into the car through the plenum drain which actually happened to my 97 Audi. I live in good old rainy Oregon and the first winter I had my car, one morning as I'm leaving for work I dropped something in the backseat and I reached back to grab it I found there was an inch of water on my floor. I had to spend over $1,400 of my savings to have my seating ripped out and redone (luckily wiring wasn't damaged). Then I filed for the suit, which at the time they had promised us a response by July of that year (4 months later). I finally got a check for the full amount paid over 4 years later.

Td;lr Not all class action lawsuits suck but you have to be one of the first people to file and you have to be able to back up your all of claims.
    10-19-2016 09:37 PM
    I think this is a silly angle for the class action proposal. But with all class action suits, it's up to the judge. They're the ones that certify the suits as a class action and its boundaries. Too many just go with the flow and don't really think about justice. The certification should not happen without the judge making sure the actual victims are adequately being compensated. I don't know it that requires detailed billing, a cap on fees to the attorneys or what.

And of course, this is the first of many, many class action suits against Samsung for the disastrous Note 7.
    10-19-2016 11:38 PM
    Yes that was the one I had posted about. I work with enough electronics that it was one issue I saw, but at the same time I have had mine so hot you could start cooking an egg on it. Maybe it is just as simple as the cable and charger causing the failure. I wish I could get in on testing! As I have said before I used my old N4 cable on my first N7 and it got hot. Cable was causing it, so I threw it out.
    But couldn't it be a combination that requires a faulty battery, AND an overheating processor? If either doesn't happen, or only one is bad, then no explosion. It would require both to be an issue to cause meltdown. The multiple cause issue would definitely explain the statistically small numbers.
    10-20-2016 11:27 AM
    I think this is a silly angle for the class action proposal. But with all class action suits, it's up to the judge. They're the ones that certify the suits as a class action and its boundaries. Too many just go with the flow and don't really think about justice. The certification should not happen without the judge making sure the actual victims are adequately being compensated. I don't know it that requires detailed billing, a cap on fees to the attorneys or what.

And of course, this is the first of many, many class action suits against Samsung for the disastrous Note 7.
    You might think so, and I am not a lawyer; but the biggest obstacle for any of these suits is to prove both sufficient negligence to result in damages on the part of the manufacturer, and a failure to appropriately void or mitigate the problem once it was recognized. As much of an irritant that it was, Samsung was quite proactive in issuing the initial recall, preparing and offering replacements, and working with the CPSC in aspects of the recall and stopped production announcement
    10-20-2016 12:47 PM
    You might think so, and I am not a lawyer; but the biggest obstacle for any of these suits is to prove both sufficient negligence to result in damages on the part of the manufacturer, and a failure to appropriately void or mitigate the problem once it was recognized. As much of an irritant that it was, Samsung was quite proactive in issuing the initial recall, preparing and offering replacements, and working with the CPSC in aspects of the recall and stopped production announcement
    While I think the angle being argued in this class action try is ludicrous, I think there are tons of buyers that have legitimate reason to sue Samsung. The botched two recalls. The first was premature and probably has sufficient evidence that Samsung knew of possible problems before the fires proliferated. The fact that they rushed unsafe "safe" phones so quickly and had even more fires in a short period of time without pinpointing the problem, well that was just dumb.

Again, the judges will determine fairness, but let's hope customers don't get shafted again with lawyers reaping all the money with customers getting credits, rebates, or some other nonsense.
    10-20-2016 05:07 PM
    The lawsuit is about lawyers getting the lions share & the N7 owners getting pennies on the dollar. Having said that a lawsuit could make corporations act more responsible in the future.
    Breuklen likes this.
    10-20-2016 08:46 PM
    i might be one of the few but i TOTALLY could see them closing/selling their mobile division after this debacle... Just a few short years ago i would have said, "noooooooo way", but having seen Sony sell off their laptop division, Toshiba completely discontinue the production of computers/laptops and how Nokia was once the "King" in cell phone production and is barely a pawn in the business today, i can easily see this occurring. Especially when those companies demise wasn't even due to ONE Particular thing.

i've been "all in" with Sammy for years, but if they take their chips and go home & close their mobile doors, sadly a big chunk of my life involves, "sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for their next best thing", but honestly, i can EASILY see it : (

Attachment 242868

BTC
    I am hearing things at work that samsung is going outo of business in the mobile department and that even blackberry may buy them ... hope not because I love samsung phones until they blow up that is.. I can't get myself to like pixel phone it looks like an iPhone ... there is no pretty phone out there either personally only s7 edge in pink gold I guess. So if samsung tru.you can't find the issue and announce it for real then they will have issues with s8 line and trust for sure
    I hope these are jokes. Blackberry couldn't even afford their own mobile department let alone coming close to purchasing Samsung's. They're pretty much the only ones doing well in Android.
    Bbarbie, Breuklen and Cary Quinn like this.
    10-20-2016 09:18 PM
    Agreed hope it's not true either. Sigh
    10-20-2016 11:51 PM
    Personally I think it is best to take Samsung to small claims court. The fees are low and considering that Samsung will likely not want to fly out a lawyer to attend a small claims court for a few hundred dollars in damages, they will probably settle on some kind of reasonable compensation, either through a product promotion or some kind of financial incentive.
    10-21-2016 01:51 PM
    Ok, please help me to understand why there is some need for lawyers & lawsuits? If there was no damage or injury.. Was this whole mess a royal pain in the backside... Absolutely!! Am I really pissed/sad that I can't have my Note 7 - Yah I am...Do I feel some level of entitlement or need to sue them... No, what does that solve and what does it do to help... Nothing!
    Sorry, but this is my 2 cents(some of the things I have seen about this just seem a tad extreme)

Cheers,
    BR
    RIP N7
    10-21-2016 02:05 PM
    Ok, please help me to understand why there is some need for lawyers & lawsuits? If there was no damage or injury.. Was this whole mess a royal pain in the backside... Absolutely!! Am I really pissed/sad that I can't have my Note 7 - Yah I am...Do I feel some level of entitlement or need to sue them... No, what does that solve and what does it do to help... Nothing!
    Sorry, but this is my 2 cents(some of the things I have seen about this just seem a tad extreme)

Cheers,
    BR
    RIP N7
    Because some people are out money due to wasted time and energy. What about people that turned in another phone when getting the Note 7 before the first recall? They aren't getting their old phone back and may be are on the losing end thanks to the 2nd recall. Some users may have been forced to make an unexpected purchase due to Samsung's fiasco. What about accessories purchased through 3rd parties? They probably can't get a refund for items that they can't use.

And the lawsuits for those that did suffer injuries and damage will surely be around the corner. Just wait and see. With well over 100 fires/explosions, those will be the bigger paydays.
    10-22-2016 03:40 PM
    It seems as if the exploding Note 7's have mysteriously stopped since the official "voluntary" recall was announced, it must be a cosmic coincidence.

Samsung has some serious problems in my opinion.
    10-22-2016 06:09 PM
    Because some people are out money due to wasted time and energy. What about people that turned in another phone when getting the Note 7 before the first recall? They aren't getting their old phone back and may be are on the losing end thanks to the 2nd recall. Some users may have been forced to make an unexpected purchase due to Samsung's fiasco. What about accessories purchased through 3rd parties? They probably can't get a refund for items that they can't use.

And the lawsuits for those that did suffer injuries and damage will surely be around the corner. Just wait and see. With well over 100 fires/explosions, those will be the bigger paydays.
    For the folks that had their N7 go into "Melt Down" and suffered damage or injury, If Samsung is not doing the right thing for them then legal action would seem reasonable. We have all lost time and been frustrated with this whole mess. I made a choice to buy a Note 5 to replace my N7 because I was not interested in the other available phone options. As for accessories, Anything USB-C will become useful since it seems to be the next standard, Spigen is sending me a case for my N5, some other items will be a wash. I don't feel any need to sue Samsung nor do I think it would solve anything, I have moved on and am waiting for the Next S-Pen equipped device. This is simply my point of view, not a point of debate.

Cheers,
    BR
    RIP N7
    sweetypie31 likes this.
    10-23-2016 07:04 AM
    It seems as if the exploding Note 7's have mysteriously stopped since the official "voluntary" recall was announced, it must be a cosmic coincidence.

Samsung has some serious problems in my opinion.
    Not really. They've asked everyone to shut them off and keep them off. That would cut down on incidents. If one does melt nownit might not get reported since you've been told to shut it off and turn it in.
    10-23-2016 01:09 PM
    They have already published info on the fact there are more than a million still being used. The only way they know that number is because we are still using them on our carriers network.
    10-23-2016 02:02 PM
    Not really. They've asked everyone to shut them off and keep them off. That would cut down on incidents. If one does melt nownit might not get reported since you've been told to shut it off and turn it in.
    That is if you believe the majority of the note 7 users actually did that.
    10-23-2016 10:52 PM
    That is if you believe the majority of the note 7 users actually did that.
    I do
    10-23-2016 10:54 PM
    Mine is still not on fire. Heavy use. Lots of fast charging.
    Viscomi4444 likes this.
    10-23-2016 10:54 PM
    Mine is still not on fire. Heavy use. Lots of fast charging.
    Me too ๐Ÿ˜Š
    weave majjik and Viscomi4444 like this.
    10-23-2016 11:50 PM
    So then, here's the deal. The Phones that actually did explode/catch fire, consider these then damaged devices evidence. They get sent in to be examined by Expert Analysts in the field. This alone would explain what was the problem with these supposed faulty products IF this was actually the case.
    The fact that the supposed owners of these supposed exploded Note 7's refused to turn their devices in speaks volumes!
    That's not necessarily so. IF (big if) they can determine, from the damaged devices, exactly what caused the "explosion", they still have to see if that was the issue with ALL the devices, AND, more importantly, can they recreate the issue. It's not so easy. Chances are, it's more than one thing that created the issue, and if all factors are not involved, no issue. That just makes the whole thing that much more difficult to pin down.
    10-28-2016 04:40 PM
    They aren't going to win! This is actually nuts. Samsung has done a lot for their customers during g this tough ordeal. These 3 people are among millions involved and yet we aren't suing! I have
    NOT been without a phone. I had the edge temporarily prior to the replacement.
    Then had to replace the replacement and I am not being charged the mo payment for the phone until I receive my 64gig Note5 that is on backorder. AND I WILL GET A 100.00 bill credit. So how is Samsung not helping?
    I didn't know I wasn't being g charged for the phone.. Customer care told me when placing the order.
    Samsung and Verizon have been great. I would never think to sue them
    10-28-2016 08:21 PM

If you persist you can get reimbursed for cases I did on all I purchased 3 were from ebay...
    10-28-2016 08:26 PM
73 123