The Last Note Has Been Played

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
There was an article somewhere that Samsung is renaming phones, they are going to have 3 or 4 main phones, think there was a galaxy x listed.

I am guessing there will be a note 7 variant on the mix, just not named note whatever. As some have suggested, the S8 might have 3 flavors, one now with a 5.7 inch screen with S pen. Samsung has to many followers of that S pen to drop it IMO.

With that said, will the S8 suffer a later release date such as next fall to be released for the holidays, or will Samsung release them in stages like the 2 S8 models normal and the one with the S pen in fall for holidays.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
IMO Samsung should have two flags: The S and the "N" and that is it.

My guess is they keep & refine the Edge name and make it 5.7". Hope I am wrong, since would not buy an Edge due to the distortion for web pages, video and games. As it stands with the Edge the 5.5" from a flat surface legibility standpoint is 5.2" unless you count the distorted area.

Going back to the Note 4 has made me realize not a fan of curved displays and prefer the Note 4 display over the Note 7. I really detest the curve on the Edge. It IMO makes no sense distorting a viewing surface.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I think consolidating was the plan whether the Note blow up happened or not...
They skipped naming the Note 6 to 7 to go inline with the S7 series.
I thought it kind of sucked that even though it had pen features that elevated the phone over the S7 series, the hardware specs using the snapdragon was dated and going forward with the S8 getting 830 seems lame that the Notes would get 'dated' hardware.

Rumor has is the S8 and S8 "Edge" will both go with the curved edges found in the Note 7... if that's the case then there is no need to go with the "Edge" name... S8 and S8 Plus? I'm hoping they do an S8 Plus with pen.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I can't figure out why everyone is so hell bent on the Note line failing. When it first came out, everyone had their fun laughing at it, and look what it turned in to. A HUGE money maker for Samsung. Then they have this fiasco, and everyone immediately jumps back on board the "failing Note train". Give it a rest. How about we sit back and wait and see instead of grasping so desperately at straws that simply are not there?

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I posted a link yesterday in another thread where it said s8 production may halt if Samsung can't determine cause of note 7 blowing up. Which makes sense because they should not need another fiasco next year. Hopefully they figure it all out.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I posted a link yesterday in another thread where it said s8 production may halt if Samsung can't determine cause of note 7 blowing up. Which makes sense because they should not need another fiasco next year. Hopefully they figure it all out.

If that were the case, their entire production line would shut down. Why keep producing S7 and S7 Edge devices if there is a chance they may explode?

Not buying this one without a trustworthy source, at all.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Why keep producing S7 and S7 Edge devices if there is a chance they may explode?

Because whatever landmine got planted in the Note 7 didn't affect the S7 or S7 Edge... if it had, we would have heard about this way back in February after a couple hundred went ba-boom.

Samsung merges design elements from their previous models into the newer ones... S6 - Note 5 - S7 - Note 7 -... if there was a design error in the Note 7 that caused this, then there is a pretty good chance that they could have carried it over to the S8. Samsung has to isolate the root cause and eliminate the chances of it reoccuring in the S line... or the only story about the S8 we'll hear on launch is "No one is sure, not even Samsung, if this will catch fire like the Note 7 did"

That'll do wonders for those sales figures.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Because whatever landmine got planted in the Note 7 didn't affect the S7 or S7 Edge... if it had, we would have heard about this way back in February after a couple hundred went ba-boom.

Samsung merges design elements from their previous models into the newer ones... S6 - Note 5 - S7 - Note 7 -... if there was a design error in the Note 7 that caused this, then there is a pretty good chance that they could have carried it over to the S8. Samsung has to isolate the root cause and eliminate the chances of it reoccuring in the S line... or the only story about the S8 we'll hear on launch is "No one is sure, not even Samsung, if this will catch fire likethe Note 7 did"

That'll do wonders for those sales figures.

I'm not getting it. If they merged design elements from previous models, then wouldn't the Note 7 have many of the same design elements of the S7 Edge?

And how do we know the S8 isn't a completely different design language? That's what I mean about way too much baseless speculation.

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Meh. We'll see. It's 1 "report" . It could happen, I am not betting on it though ..

If people would stop fishing for answers by quoting ever single unofficial report from unofficial "sources" we, the people, would be thinking straight. Yet we go out of our way, buying into ANYTHING we read out there and bring in here as a quoted source with clickable link.
If you hadn't figured it out yet these sites are designed to confuse the masses.
I could create a webpage right now and call it whatever and create a "story" about anything related to Note 7, someone would read it, post the link in here and guess what? More confusion.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
If people would stop fishing for answers by quoting ever single unofficial report from unofficial "sources" we, the people, would be thinking straight. Yet we go out of our way, buying into ANYTHING we read out there and bring in here as a quoted source with clickable link.
If you hadn't figured it out yet these sites are designed to confuse the masses.
I could create a webpage right now and call it whatever and create a "story" about anything related to Note 7, someone would read it, post the link in here and guess what? More confusion.

Exactly. The S8 line hasn't even been revealed yet. How in the world would anyone tie it to the faulty Note, knowing very little about it yet, other than the fact that it will share more with the S line, than the Note line.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not getting it. If they merged design elements from previous models, then wouldn't the Note 7 have many of the same design elements of the S7 Edge?

And how do we know the S8 isn't a completely different design language? That's what I mean about way too much baseless speculation.

They did merge S7 elements into the Note 7 line... camera, waterproofing, SD slot, etc. Sammy has been doing a 6 month tick/tock between the S and Note lines for going back several generations. The best predictor of future behavior is past performance. Now, the S8 might have some major 'toss the table' sort of design like they did between the S5 and S6, but that's purely speculative.

What isn't speculative, though, is that the S8 is stepping to the plate down two strikes if Samsung doesn't a) find the root cause and b) be fully open in sharing that root cause and its remedy to the public.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Going back to the Note 4 has made me realize not a fan of curved displays and prefer the Note 4 display over the Note 7. I really detest the curve on the Edge. It IMO makes no sense distorting a viewing surface.

Thank you! Exactly how I feel as well.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
They did merge S7 elements into the Note 7 line... camera, waterproofing, SD slot, etc. Sammy has been doing a 6 month tick/tock between the S and Note lines for going back several generations. The best predictor of future behavior is past performance. Now, the S8 might have some major 'toss the table' sort of design like they did between the S5 and S6, but that's purely speculative.

What isn't speculative, though, is that the S8 is stepping to the plate down two strikes if Samsung doesn't a) find the root cause and b) be fully open in sharing that root cause and its remedy to the public.

So yeah, the Note line has been following the S line, not the other way around. So if the best predictor of future behavior is the past, the S8 will follow an untarnished S7 and S7 Edge. The next Note like device will be the one that will need to prove it's worth.

Obviously in terms of public trust, a full explanation of what happened to the Note and assurances as to why it won't happen again is imperative.

And even then not a guarantee of public forgiveness for a few cycles.

Last edited:

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking they will just keep innovating coming up with something all new and not a Note series aside from the S8 next year.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I can't figure out why everyone is so hell bent on the Note line failing. When it first came out, everyone had their fun laughing at it, and look what it turned in to. A HUGE money maker for Samsung. Then they have this fiasco, and everyone immediately jumps back on board the "failing Note train". Give it a rest. How about we sit back and wait and see instead of grasping so desperately at straws that simply are not there?

^this^