Anyone got a free phone out of this fiasco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Somebody I work with got a refund for his Note 7 on the phone after arguing with them for the inconvenience. But they never mentioned returning the phone. Crazy

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was told of a case where someone was instructed to abandon the phone, and his money was still refunded. He was overseas, and unable to take the phone back on the plane, but his carrier allowed him to surrender the phone to local authorities and they still refunded his money.

badbradd2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me in Mexico yesterday. The Mexican airport police actually came on to my flight, made me get off in front of everyone and they told me I would miss my flight due to my phone. I asked him why I couldn't just throw it away and he said they didn't want it at the airport. I finally convinced him to just let me throw it away, so they brought me a trashcan where they watched me throw it in. T-Mobile said they will erase the balance on my phone. Still this was extremely embarrassing and frustrating, and now I have no phone. This was during my honeymoon too which made it all the more annoying.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been refunded, upgraded to the s7e, and still have my n7, Verizon was supposed to send me a box to return it, but I've not received one yet.... hopefully they just forget about it, and I can keep the n7 :D

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been refunded, upgraded to the s7e, and still have my n7, Verizon was supposed to send me a box to return it, but I've not received one yet.... hopefully they just forget about it, and I can keep the n7 :D
Verizon specifically states on the website that if they don't get the phone back, you will be charged the remaining balance on it. I still haven't received my return box yet either. I called in about my return box and after they dug around for 20 minutes, say it should arrive automatically in 1-2 weeks after purchase of the replacement phone.
Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 1.39.11 PM.png

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
This happened to me in Mexico yesterday. The Mexican airport police actually came on to my flight, made me get off in front of everyone and they told me I would miss my flight due to my phone. I asked him why I couldn't just throw it away and he said they didn't want it at the airport. I finally convinced him to just let me throw it away, so they brought me a trashcan where they watched me throw it in. T-Mobile said they will erase the balance on my phone. Still this was extremely embarrassing and frustrating, and now I have no phone. This was during my honeymoon too which made it all the more annoying.

Holy crap! So sorry that happened to you!

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site

And how did they know you had a Note 7, and yet they let you through security and on to the plane?

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Verizon specifically states on the website that if they don't get the phone back, you will be charged the remaining balance on it. I still haven't received my return box yet either. I called in about my return box and after they dug around for 20 minutes, say it should arrive automatically in 1-2 weeks after purchase of the replacement phone.
View attachment 242848

Heh... kinda funny, not even 15min after I typed that, the Fed ex guy showed up with the return box.

I'm still gonna wait another week before I ship it back tho...

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

How did they know you had a Note 7?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
View attachment 242848

I understand exception HAVE been made, like in cases where people are trapped outside of the country with their phone, and unable to bring it back to the US. In those cases the carriers have been working with people. Most likely Samsung will end up eating those costs. This is being done, I'm sure, on a case by case basis.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I understand exception HAVE been made, like in cases where people are trapped outside of the country with their phone, and unable to bring it back to the US. In those cases the carriers have been working with people. Most likely Samsung will end up eating those costs. This is being done, I'm sure, on a case by case basis.
What costs are they eating though? They're just gonna dispose of the phone as well. It doesn't really matter.

hou33guy

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Got my note 7 refunded and sales man forgot to take my note 7 and i quickly walked smooth out and called 3 days later to see if it was still off my account and it is

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Got my note 7 refunded and sales man forgot to take my note 7 and i quickly walked smooth out and called 3 days later to see if it was still off my account and it is

You're like the only one with it on your account. Almost everyone's was erased before the recall.

James Beam

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
I'd really like to see how a company like Verizon plans to charge someone for a recalled phone. Doing so would be illegal according to the law, which is why those of us who signed up for a 2 year installment plan were refunded on payments we made before even returning the phone. The phone was also listed as paid off on my account. Those that paid in full up front aren't getting refunded until they return the phone, since they paid for it before the recall took effect. I never upgraded after the recall, I simply reactivated an old phone and never got any notification whatsoever from Verizon that I needed to return the phone or I would be charged. It doesn't even show up on my account anymore, nor have I gotten any notification about the special box being shipped to return. I noticed some are seeing the shipping info for the box showing up on their accounts. I have not received any notification at all. So yes, I still have the phone and it didn't really cost me anything. I have not been refunded the $51 Michigan sales tax yet, but it said it would take 1-2 billing cycles for everything to be refunded.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I did. Somebody at whatever company Samsung Canada was using screwed up something and sent me a Note 7 ("safe" version) after I already returned my original phone for a refund. I got fed up with zero communication, airline restrictions, and excessive waiting. Legally in my province (BC) unsolicited goods become your property unless you agree in writing with the manufacturer that you are accepting the goods. Issue is though that (a) the device is carrier locked and I can't get an unlock code from Samsung and (b) Samsung actually refuses to replace the device despite the second recall being in effect now. It's messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.