10-30-2016 08:03 PM
84 1234
tools
    You were all right! They "misinformed" me the first time I called. Call 1, they said 50%. Chat session followup, they said 100%. Then, Call 2, they told me that yes, I would have to pay 100% of my new Pixel XL before upgrading again. For sure.

I told them that they just removed any incentive for ordering through them, as 1.) a phone with a locked bootloader might not hold its resale value as well, and 2.) I don't need to be locked into any type of a contract if I can bring a phone to them.

I let them know that since this was different from the Note 4 that I'd had on my last device payment plan, they should have TOLD me about this significant change... oh, well - heading to the back of the line.

I could have left the order stand and paid in full when it arrived, but for what? If I can't trade up at 50%, why buy the phone with the locked bootloader that will likely not hold its resale value. And... the whole thing just irritated me.

I so appreciate the OP and everyone here!
    Yep, they haven't even mentioned this to customers, they just dropped it. Found this out when i was getting my new s7 edge. But no way am i downgrading anymore than this. I will either pay in full for the s8 if it is worth the upgrade, or just hold on to it.

Hoping samsung gives us Note 7 to S7 & S7e users a deal for the S8.
    juliesdroidsync likes this.
    10-22-2016 07:35 PM
    Yep, they haven't even mentioned this to customers, they just dropped it. Found this out when i was getting my new s7 edge. But no way am i downgrading anymore than this. I will either pay in full for the s8 if it is worth the upgrade, or just hold on to it.

Hoping samsung gives us Note 7 to S7 & S7e users a deal for the S8.
    Yes, they should ALSO mention it to their Customer Support and Resellers!!! Because they don't know either... (I'm being generous here because I don't want to believe they intentionally have their people lie!)
    10-22-2016 08:20 PM
    Well, I wasn't going to go the S7 Edge route if I had to be stuck for two years under the device payment option. I chatted with a rep and he/she (name could have been either gender - ha) told me any device was eligible under the one year upgrade. I asked again to make sure and I emailed the chat to myself as proof. Anyway, I guess this rep didn't tell me the correct information but since I had the chat (as the rep didn't make any notes on my account) to back me up, they have honored it.

I feel somewhat better using the Edge now but I think I would have slid to the Pixel XL in the 128gb black flavor had they been available to ship.
    juliesdroidsync likes this.
    10-23-2016 10:24 AM
    UPDATE - I chatted with Verizon today and the rep told me I could upgrade/downgrade to the S7E and only be responsible for 50% payoff!

I asked several times to confirm this and told her I had conflicting info from Verizon stores. I even spelled out a scenario where I'd payoff in 5 months if/when the S8 comes out ($792 price of S7E, 1/2 would be $396 and after months at $33/mo ($165) my 50% payoff would be $231 and she confirmed. I got the whole chat on a screenshot, so if Verizon gives me any grief when the next S8/N8 comes out, I have it in writing. So I sadly pulled the trigger today and turned in my great N8 for a not so great S7E. I have a lot of travel coming up and can't deal with the bans on flights and trains, so I couldn't wait any longer. N8 was the best phone out there by far and nothing compares IMO!
    10-24-2016 02:12 PM
    UPDATE - I chatted with Verizon today and the rep told me I could upgrade/downgrade to the S7E and only be responsible for 50% payoff!

I asked several times to confirm this and told her I had conflicting info from Verizon stores. I even spelled out a scenario where I'd payoff in 5 months if/when the S8 comes out ($792 price of S7E, 1/2 would be $396 and after months at $33/mo ($165) my 50% payoff would be $231 and she confirmed. I got the whole chat on a screenshot, so if Verizon gives me any grief when the next S8/N8 comes out, I have it in writing. So I sadly pulled the trigger today and turned in my great N8 for a not so great S7E. I have a lot of travel coming up and can't deal with the bans on flights and trains, so I couldn't wait any longer. N8 was the best phone out there by far and nothing compares IMO!
    I got the same answer via chat today too! Have you tried to get them to update your account so that it shows you are eligible after 50% payoff?
    10-24-2016 02:56 PM
    Well, I wasn't going to go the S7 Edge route if I had to be stuck for two years under the device payment option. I chatted with a rep and he/she (name could have been either gender - ha) told me any device was eligible under the one year upgrade. I asked again to make sure and I emailed the chat to myself as proof. Anyway, I guess this rep didn't tell me the correct information but since I had the chat (as the rep didn't make any notes on my account) to back me up, they have honored it.

I feel somewhat better using the Edge now but I think I would have slid to the Pixel XL in the 128gb black flavor had they been available to ship.
    How did you go about getting them to honor it? Email, call, chat? Does your device information reflect it in your account now?
    10-24-2016 02:59 PM
    I got the same answer via chat today too! Have you tried to get them to update your account so that it shows you are eligible after 50% payoff?
    I asked about that and she said that wouldn't specifically show on the account page. I asked what if I'm given a hard time trying to payoff the 50% say in March if the S8 comes out then. She said "you should not have a hard time at all, the upgrade process for the annual upgrade is the same as a normal upgrade, with the addition of an extra step that tells you how much you have left until you are at 50%. If you are not you will be able to pay the remaining balance there. If you are at 50%, you will be able to select trade in and upgrade. The you get your new phone!"

So most likely there will be confusion as always, but I got everything I was told in writing, so should be good...
    10-24-2016 04:37 PM
    What kills me is the Verizon rep online thanking me for upgrading from a note 7 to the s7e! 😕😤😢😭
    10-24-2016 04:48 PM
    How did you go about getting them to honor it? Email, call, chat? Does your device information reflect it in your account now?
    I tried to call but was on hold forever so I chatted online with them. Copied and pasted the chat transcript I had where the rep said every device was annual upgrade eligible. They come with a reference number so I'm sure the fine Red Devil folks can pull it up.

On the My Verizon info, it shows as a 100% payoff but they have entered it into the system. I also email the chat transcript to show what this rep said as well. Cya, baby....cya.
    10-24-2016 07:33 PM
    I have a feeling that when the S8 comes out, yall are going to get screwed over. Hopefully not, but these reps are stupid. They don't usually know what they're talking about
    10-24-2016 07:41 PM
    I have a feeling that when the S8 comes out, yall are going to get screwed over. Hopefully not, but these reps are stupid. They don't usually know what they're talking about
    lol, yeah I get that feeling too. If I order the S7E, I'm going to immediately chat and if they won't change my account to reflect the 50% payoff, I'll cancel the order.
    Jaycemiskel likes this.
    10-24-2016 07:59 PM
    lol, yeah I get that feeling too. If I order the S7E, I'm going to immediately chat and if they won't change my account to reflect the 50% payoff, I'll cancel the order.
    Sounds like a good plan to me.
    10-24-2016 08:16 PM
    I bought the S7 Edge the day before the cut off and when buying it the sales rep told me I was eligible for the annual upgrade. Checking my account it says pay in full. Ridiculous.
    10-24-2016 08:32 PM
    Everyone should just be careful as to what CSRs promise. Just make sure you know what you're agreeing to when you sign something... Verizon - telling me I'm stuck for 2 years if I get a S7 Edge-55555.png
    Jaycemiskel likes this.
    10-24-2016 09:51 PM
    Everyone should just be careful as to what CSRs promise. Just make sure you know what you're agreeing to when you sign something... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55555.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	243567
    This is what I would be worried about. They may make an exception but technically they don't have to.
    jackash0912 likes this.
    10-24-2016 11:33 PM
    when i got my note 7, the rep told me i had to actually wait 12 months before i could trade in the phone. i couldnt just pay the 50%.
    i was also told that now i'd have to pay 75% or 100% of device to upgrade. i cant get a straight answer.
    10-25-2016 12:13 AM
    I'll also add that do not trust these reps. They will screw you over big time and they'll suffer no consequences. I have 7 more days until my 14 day trial is over for my priv. Hopefully samsung will extend the annual upgrade program by then.
    10-25-2016 06:43 PM
    talked to another rep today, and was told that only iphones are available for early upgrades. every other phone needs to be paid in full to upgrade.
    10-25-2016 10:16 PM
    talked to another rep today, and was told that only iphones are available for early upgrades. every other phone needs to be paid in full to upgrade.
    That may be the only CURRENTLY running program, but the S7 and S7 edge were first sold with an annual upgrade program. Samsung is offering something similar that in Korea to keep Note 7 customers, in that they can exchange for a S8 or Note 8 if they buy an S7 or S7 edge.

Would be nice if they bring that to the U.S. soon.
    jackash0912 likes this.
    10-26-2016 08:39 AM
    That may be the only CURRENTLY running program, but the S7 and S7 edge were first sold with an annual upgrade program. Samsung is offering something similar that in Korea to keep Note 7 customers, in that they can exchange for a S8 or Note 8 if they buy an S7 or S7 edge.

Would be nice if they bring that to the U.S. soon.
    Not even sure about that... I'm looking to try and find, but I *believe* I read that Sammy said that was totally false. Ugh. what a mess for everyone. I will try to find that article.
    10-27-2016 10:14 AM
    Not even sure about that... I'm looking to try and find, but I *believe* I read that Sammy said that was totally false. Ugh. what a mess for everyone. I will try to find that article.
    We are on Verizon and my wife's S7E is on Verizon's annual upgrade as long as 50% is paid off she can upgrade to Sammy's latest and greatest.
    10-27-2016 11:22 AM
    One can't get screwed over if one has it in writing.

And I'm not looking for the S8.
    10-27-2016 11:34 AM
    We are on Verizon and my wife's S7E is on Verizon's annual upgrade as long as 50% is paid off she can upgrade to Sammy's latest and greatest.
    Yep. That's what they told me in the store... 50%
    Yep. That's what they told me when I called in... just to make sure.
    Nope. When I started a support chat, "just to be really, really sure...", it was No, actually, it's now 100%.
    Nope. When I called in complaining about different answers, the 4th and final answer I got was, "Sorry, it's now 100%".

Get it in writing. The only way to do that is through chat, because I'm pretty sure you won't get it otherwise... Your contract also says that it doesn't really matter what anyone tells you, but if you have it in a chat session, at least that is "in writing". That's why I tried chat... I was hoping to get it in writing, but the chat session was where I got my first, "Nope".
    10-27-2016 11:35 AM
    One can't get screwed over if one has it in writing.

And I'm not looking for the S8.
    Like I said, I hope it works out for yall. I think they should extend the S7 edge annual upgrade plan since the Note 7 is dead, but that customer agreement basically supercedes anything in writing from the way it's worded. Just not a chance I'm willing to take lol.
    10-27-2016 11:45 AM
    Like I said, I hope it works out for yall. I think they should extend the S7 edge annual upgrade plan since the Note 7 is dead, but that customer agreement basically supercedes anything in writing from the way it's worded. Just not a chance I'm willing to take lol.
    You are correct - funny how the only thing left on the upgrade plan is the Iturd and they have zero in stock.

I am contemplating returning the S7 Edge - I'm just not digging it. I have a couple of devices I can fall back to in the meantime.
    10-27-2016 11:52 AM
84 1234