Verizon - telling me I'm stuck for 2 years if I get a S7 Edge

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My Verizon sales guy told me today that if I get a S7E, I'm stuck for 2 years (or pay off 100%). With my note 7, I was told I could get out after 50% paid/1 year.
He's checking to see what the deal will be for the Pixel XL and V20. If they are 100% too, I will have to rethink my entire plan of what to replace my N7 with.
I refuse to be stuck with a phone I don't want for more than a year (or 50% to pay off) so I can get the next Note 8 or S8.
Are other carriers playing this bs too? Ugh

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
My Verizon sales guy told me today that if I get a S7E, I'm stuck for 2 years (or pay off 100%). With my note 7, I was told I could get out after 50% paid/1 year.
He's checking to see what the deal will be for the Pixel XL and V20. If they are 100% too, I will have to rethink my entire plan of what to replace my N7 with.
I refuse to be stuck with a phone I don't want for more than a year (or 50% to pay off) so I can get the next Note 8 or S8.

Yeah, if you're going to be stuck for 2 years, you want a phone with the latest specs. Nothing worse than watching the S8 or HTC 11 announced and know your stuck.

Halloweenoreo

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
They told me they stopped the program for it right before the whole N7 fiasco started.

As others said about being stuck in a contract I'm taking a huge step back and bought an S5 off Groupon for 130 bucks until the S8 or N8 (or ehatever they will call it)

Seems fishy that the Upgrade program for the S7E stopped right when the recall started.. or maybe I'm lookong too much into it.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I don't think there is anything "new" Android wise out there worth getting at this point in time. That's one of the reasons I went to Apple.
The OP3 seems pretty good for only $400, but then again you can pick up a S6e+ or N6P for about the same price. You can get a Note5 for $450 on ebay less if you get the 32gb version.

The N7 really made all other Android phones look like crap and the S7e is too old to pay full price for. I don't see the bang for the buck with V20 over the V10 (which I have), so that was a no go for me.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

Actually the Note 7 deal was after you paid 50% you could upgrade to the the Note 7 replace or note 8. If you did not take advantage of the upgrade you still had to finish paying off the phone
It is how the Verizon version new every year program worked. Sita like apples program

James Beam

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
Best solution is to reactivate an old phone or get a cheap used one to hold you over until Verizon has a phone you want. That way you don't have to get stuck for 2 years for something you don't even want.I luckily didn't trade in my old droid maxx(only $20 trade in value to VZW), so I just used that to get me by.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I can't see paying full price for the S7 Edge, which is what...8 or 9 months old? The pay off at 100% chaps me as well. You would think Verizon would allow the Note 7 users the courtesy to go into the Annual Upgrade Program since we would all still be in it if this fiasco didn't happen.

Sure, you get a hundred off (and within 2 to 3 billing cycles) so that still makes the S7 Edge nearly 700 beans (for me) with tax. Nope.

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I've raised he'll about this on here a long time ago. I had the s7 edge in my cart and ready to go and then read the small print at the bottom. The Samsung annual upgrade program ended exactly a month ago at the time. Me and several others complained on Verizon fb page as well but that conversation went nowhere. Verizon really needs to look into this. We should be the exception to the rule. Verizon won't lose anything from it.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I would also suggest you activate an old phone or buy a phone less expensive than a new S7edge. I bought a refurbished S7e off eBay because I did not want to be stuck for two years on a phone I really did not want. It is working out for me but I sure miss my Note.

kayjbee

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
AT&T had no problem with me changing from 2 years to 1 year when I turned in my Note 7

Syounger64

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Yikes. I came from a Note 2 to the note 7 and just ordered an s7e. No way I will stay 2 years on the s7e so I don't know what to do.

james702283

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
That's why I bought my S7 Edge off of swappa for around the same price as the subsidized price for the note. I didn't want to be tied to a contract for a phone I didn't intend to initially buy and the price worked out around the same from swappa as it would of to stay on contract. I returned the note and had my eligibility reset. Before doing that I was able to find one brand new S7 Edge on swappa, only opened to take pictures and the imei even got me another VR headset with the samsung sd card/vr set promo. The S7 Edge inventory is much lower on swappa now and I don't see any as new, just mint but I would keep checking. It was a great solution for me and I was in a similar dilemma.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Update - I went to the Verizon store in Times Square when I was in NY on a biz trip yesterday and talked to them about this whole situation. They confirmed that ALL phones except the iPhone 7 are 100% pay off only. The Note 7 and S7E were the only other phones previously on the annual upgrade (50% to payoff) and that ended in September.
So that completely sucks for us Verizon customers and makes most of us stuck with a downgrade at phone for 2 years now with our replacement. I really wanted to just get a good phone but only for a year and then hopefully go Note 8 ideally if it's out next Fall. The thought of trying to payoff $400+ on a Pixel or V20 in a year so I can get the next Samsung sucks!

I'm not too keen at all of buying a used N5 or something to bide my time either. After spending a couple months with the best phone in the world, I don't want to settle for a lot less...

Maybe I'll just hold my Note 7 till Black Friday to see if any changes occur in pricing or upgrade deals.

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Update - I went to the Verizon store in Times Square when I was in NY on a biz trip yesterday and talked to them about this whole situation. They confirmed that ALL phones except the iPhone 7 are 100% pay off only. The Note 7 and S7E were the only other phones previously on the annual upgrade (50% to payoff) and that ended in September.
So that completely sucks for us Verizon customers and makes most of us stuck with a downgrade at phone for 2 years now with our replacement. I really wanted to just get a good phone but only for a year and then hopefully go Note 8 ideally if it's out next Fall. The thought of trying to payoff $400+ on a Pixel or V20 in a year so I can get the next Samsung sucks!

I'm not too keen at all of buying a used N5 or something to bide my time either. After spending a couple months with the best phone in the world, I don't want to settle for a lot less...

Maybe I'll just hold my Note 7 till Black Friday to see if any changes occur in pricing or upgrade deals.
The blackberry PRIV is only 400 bucks at Verizon. That's what I got. After one year, I'll only have to pay 200 bucks. Dual curved display with quadhd amoled display, 3410mah battery, stock Android if you disable all the blackberry apps and hub, fast charge 2.0. It's still stuck on lollipop but Verizon said in November marshmallow will be here. No way I'm missing the note8.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The blackberry PRIV is only 400 bucks at Verizon. That's what I got. After one year, I'll only have to pay 200 bucks. Dual curved display with quadhd amoled display, 3410mah battery, stock Android if you disable all the blackberry apps and hub, fast charge 2.0. It's still stuck on lollipop but Verizon said in November marshmallow will be here. No way I'm missing the note8.

The rep I deal with at my local Verizon store suggested a similar backup plan – just getting a decent but low cost phone that I can pay off more easily after a year or so when the next N8 comes out. But he suggested the MotoZ Play edition ($408, $17/mo), which he said is a pretty nice mid-range phone - Octa-core Snapdragon 625 CPU 3 gigs of RAM and 32 gigs of storage. It has a 5.5” 1920 x 1080 Super AMOLED display. -has usb-c, it has headphone jack, 16mp camera, 3500 battery, micro sd, quick charge, finger print scanner, laser auto focus. One review said no OIS so shaky video, low light pix are so-so. Might think about that. I don’t know…

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza