Verizon - telling me I'm stuck for 2 years if I get a S7 Edge

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Looks like it is not true. I chatted with Samsung this morning:
Samsung: that is not true, as the exchange done with carriers, if carrier offer any future device with S7 Edge you can check with them. But there is no such update from Samsung regarding S7 Edge to any future Phone.
I had a feeling it's not true but at the same time you can't trust reps anywhere. The rep will say one thing and then the opposite will be true two days later.

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
As Verizon has done all year, they will continue to have their trade in promotion where you can trade in your phone for money off the next phone. Usually this means the previous years model you can get $300 credit (or $200 for 2 year prior flagship model). For those who got the s7 edge recently, this means we'll need to pay off the s7 Edge 100% but can turn around trade in again for $300 (granted we'll need to pay more than $300 to payoff the phone). Kinda sucks for those of us who just got the s7 edge (not necessarily a problem for those who've had the s7 edge since March). We'd probably get more if we sell the phone separately and not trade in.

Separately, SamMobile posted a rumor that Samsung may compensate Note 7 owners even more with savings on the 2017 phones.
New compensation program reportedly being prepared for Galaxy Note 7 customers - SamMobile

DasWindows

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
I've only been with them for 10 years, so I don't know...

It's only for the iPhone 7. I have known about this since the 2nd recall. Verizon pulled the program for any other phone right before the recall.

Regardless i'm sure samsung will give previous note 7 owners a chance to get the S8 if we provide proof that we had the note 7 and exchanged it for the s7 or s7 edge.

For now, we get $100 from carriers (around 3 months payment) + 4 months until Feb 2017, which means we would need to pay $561 to pay off the s7 edge.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
It's only for the iPhone 7. I have known about this since the 2nd recall. Verizon pulled the program for any other phone right before the recall.

Regardless i'm sure samsung will give previous note 7 owners a chance to get the S8 if we provide proof that we had the note 7 and exchanged it for the s7 or s7 edge.

For now, we get $100 from carriers (around 3 months payment) + 4 months until Feb 2017, which means we would need to pay $561 to pay off the s7 edge.

So, I ordered a Pixel XL from a (not really) Verizon store. I'm currently, technically, off-contract. When the Pixel XL comes in, I want to get back on the device payment plan, I'll pay off about half up front. So, when I call Verizon and they tell me that I'll only have to pay off 50% to be eligible to upgrade, how do I verify whether they're mistaken ("lying" might be too strong a word...) or correct?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes that why I went with the Pixel XL. If I am going to be stuck for 2 years. I rather have a new phone. I did not want a Note 5 which is already a year old Technology and have it for a two year contract.

DasWindows

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
So, I ordered a Pixel XL from a (not really) Verizon store. I'm currently, technically, off-contract. When the Pixel XL comes in, I want to get back on the device payment plan, I'll pay off about half up front. So, when I call Verizon and they tell me that I'll only have to pay off 50% to be eligible to upgrade, how do I verify whether they're mistaken ("lying" might be too strong a word...) or correct?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

I'm confused what you are asking?

The answer is simple and sucks. But there is no 1yr upgrade for any phone besides iphone with verizon right now, even if you did not buy from verizon directly. There will always be trade in offers.

We can only hope samsung can give us a promo for note 7 users who switched to s7 or s7 edge. I doubt it will work for those who went from note 7 to another phone as you left samsung.

If you pay half up front now, then you will still have to pay off the other half if you want to upgrade. Atleast thats how it seems but it would be best to talk to them directly.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused what you are asking?

The answer is simple and sucks. But there is no 1yr upgrade for any phone besides iphone with verizon right now, even if you did not buy from verizon directly. There will always be trade in offers.

We can only hope samsung can give us a promo for note 7 users who switched to s7 or s7 edge. I doubt it will work for those who went from note 7 to another phone as you left samsung.

If you pay half up front now, then you will still have to pay off the other half if you want to upgrade. Atleast thats how it seems but it would be best to talk to them directly.

But that's what I'm saying... when I read this post, I called Verizon. They said I only have to pay off 50% of the Pixel XL moving forward in order to upgrade to something newer after that for my next phone.

You're saying they're either mistaken (or worse... lying) and that I have to pay off 100%. Sort of defeats the purpose of Edging up. I might as well stay off-contract and bring them a phone to activate.

Last edited:

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
But that's what I'm saying... when I read this post, I called Verizon. They said I only have to pay off 50% of the Pixel XL moving forward in order to upgrade. You're saying they're either mistaken (or worse... lying)

You'll find out if it's true or not once you activate the Pixel to your account.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
You were all right! They "misinformed" me the first time I called. Call 1, they said 50%. Chat session followup, they said 100%. Then, Call 2, they told me that yes, I would have to pay 100% of my new Pixel XL before upgrading again. For sure. :mad:

I told them that they just removed any incentive for ordering through them, as 1.) a phone with a locked bootloader might not hold its resale value as well, and 2.) I don't need to be locked into any type of a contract if I can bring a phone to them.

I let them know that since this was different from the Note 4 that I'd had on my last device payment plan, they should have TOLD me about this significant change... oh, well - heading to the back of the line.

I could have left the order stand and paid in full when it arrived, but for what? If I can't trade up at 50%, why buy the phone with the locked bootloader that will likely not hold its resale value. And... the whole thing just irritated me.

I so appreciate the OP and everyone here!

DasWindows

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
You were all right! They "misinformed" me the first time I called. Call 1, they said 50%. Chat session followup, they said 100%. Then, Call 2, they told me that yes, I would have to pay 100% of my new Pixel XL before upgrading again. For sure. :mad:

I told them that they just removed any incentive for ordering through them, as 1.) a phone with a locked bootloader might not hold its resale value as well, and 2.) I don't need to be locked into any type of a contract if I can bring a phone to them.

I let them know that since this was different from the Note 4 that I'd had on my last device payment plan, they should have TOLD me about this significant change... oh, well - heading to the back of the line.

I could have left the order stand and paid in full when it arrived, but for what? If I can't trade up at 50%, why buy the phone with the locked bootloader that will likely not hold its resale value. And... the whole thing just irritated me.

I so appreciate the OP and everyone here!

Yep, they haven't even mentioned this to customers, they just dropped it. Found this out when i was getting my new s7 edge. But no way am i downgrading anymore than this. I will either pay in full for the s8 if it is worth the upgrade, or just hold on to it.

Hoping samsung gives us Note 7 to S7 & S7e users a deal for the S8.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Yep, they haven't even mentioned this to customers, they just dropped it. Found this out when i was getting my new s7 edge. But no way am i downgrading anymore than this. I will either pay in full for the s8 if it is worth the upgrade, or just hold on to it.

Hoping samsung gives us Note 7 to S7 & S7e users a deal for the S8.

Yes, they should ALSO mention it to their Customer Support and Resellers!!! Because they don't know either... (I'm being generous here because I don't want to believe they intentionally have their people lie!)

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, I wasn't going to go the S7 Edge route if I had to be stuck for two years under the device payment option. I chatted with a rep and he/she (name could have been either gender - ha) told me any device was eligible under the one year upgrade. I asked again to make sure and I emailed the chat to myself as proof. Anyway, I guess this rep didn't tell me the correct information but since I had the chat (as the rep didn't make any notes on my account) to back me up, they have honored it.

I feel somewhat better using the Edge now but I think I would have slid to the Pixel XL in the 128gb black flavor had they been available to ship.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE - I chatted with Verizon today and the rep told me I could upgrade/downgrade to the S7E and only be responsible for 50% payoff!

I asked several times to confirm this and told her I had conflicting info from Verizon stores. I even spelled out a scenario where I'd payoff in 5 months if/when the S8 comes out ($792 price of S7E, 1/2 would be $396 and after months at $33/mo ($165) my 50% payoff would be $231 and she confirmed. I got the whole chat on a screenshot, so if Verizon gives me any grief when the next S8/N8 comes out, I have it in writing. So I sadly pulled the trigger today and turned in my great N8 for a not so great S7E. I have a lot of travel coming up and can't deal with the bans on flights and trains, so I couldn't wait any longer. N8 was the best phone out there by far and nothing compares IMO!

Xenuprime

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE - I chatted with Verizon today and the rep told me I could upgrade/downgrade to the S7E and only be responsible for 50% payoff!

I asked several times to confirm this and told her I had conflicting info from Verizon stores. I even spelled out a scenario where I'd payoff in 5 months if/when the S8 comes out ($792 price of S7E, 1/2 would be $396 and after months at $33/mo ($165) my 50% payoff would be $231 and she confirmed. I got the whole chat on a screenshot, so if Verizon gives me any grief when the next S8/N8 comes out, I have it in writing. So I sadly pulled the trigger today and turned in my great N8 for a not so great S7E. I have a lot of travel coming up and can't deal with the bans on flights and trains, so I couldn't wait any longer. N8 was the best phone out there by far and nothing compares IMO!

I got the same answer via chat today too! Have you tried to get them to update your account so that it shows you are eligible after 50% payoff?

Xenuprime

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, I wasn't going to go the S7 Edge route if I had to be stuck for two years under the device payment option. I chatted with a rep and he/she (name could have been either gender - ha) told me any device was eligible under the one year upgrade. I asked again to make sure and I emailed the chat to myself as proof. Anyway, I guess this rep didn't tell me the correct information but since I had the chat (as the rep didn't make any notes on my account) to back me up, they have honored it.

I feel somewhat better using the Edge now but I think I would have slid to the Pixel XL in the 128gb black flavor had they been available to ship.

How did you go about getting them to honor it? Email, call, chat? Does your device information reflect it in your account now?

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I got the same answer via chat today too! Have you tried to get them to update your account so that it shows you are eligible after 50% payoff?

I asked about that and she said that wouldn't specifically show on the account page. I asked what if I'm given a hard time trying to payoff the 50% say in March if the S8 comes out then. She said "you should not have a hard time at all, the upgrade process for the annual upgrade is the same as a normal upgrade, with the addition of an extra step that tells you how much you have left until you are at 50%. If you are not you will be able to pay the remaining balance there. If you are at 50%, you will be able to select trade in and upgrade. The you get your new phone!"

So most likely there will be confusion as always, but I got everything I was told in writing, so should be good...

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
How did you go about getting them to honor it? Email, call, chat? Does your device information reflect it in your account now?

I tried to call but was on hold forever so I chatted online with them. Copied and pasted the chat transcript I had where the rep said every device was annual upgrade eligible. They come with a reference number so I'm sure the fine Red Devil folks can pull it up.

On the My Verizon info, it shows as a 100% payoff but they have entered it into the system. I also email the chat transcript to show what this rep said as well. Cya, baby....cya.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling that when the S8 comes out, yall are going to get screwed over. Hopefully not, but these reps are stupid. They don't usually know what they're talking about