Samsung to Disable Note 7 Functionality Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Until I see proof I won't believe this story either.

This issue.. I'll give you... it was most likely someone at the store not wanting to deal with the phone because it's been abandoned...

But the rest? Official investigation leading to a full recall, transportation bans, Samsung shutting down production permanently, etc... what more substantiation do you require?

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Problem is that they have yet to prove the safe N7 actually has an issue. If they actually believed that to be the case they would have pushed the update to throttle the charging already.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Problem is that they have yet to prove the safe N7 actually has an issue. If they actually believed that to be the case they would have pushed the update to throttle the charging already.
That's assuming throttling the charging actually helped anything in the first place.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
That's assuming throttling the charging actually helped anything in the first place.
That is true. Even though I said before that the cpu being too close to the battery may be the cause I have since started looking at cables and chargers. I have found that not all cables are pinned the same way. This issue in itself may very well be the downfall of the N7. The pins for charging are different in several aftermarket cables. Some actually send power to points where data go. That will kill the phone and cause any number of things to happen including failure in the cpu and charging circuits. Samsung would be wise to change back to the micro usb and see if that doesn't fix the issue permanently.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

CPSC reported that they had investigated 23 reports of 'safe' Note 7 failing prior to issuing the final (second) recall.

(edited... CPSC doesn't deal with anecdotal evidence)

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
CPSC reported that they had investigated 23 reports of 'safe' Note 7 failing prior to issuing the final (second) recall.

(edited... CPSC doesn't deal with anecdotal evidence)
They investigated yes, but have note said it was the official cause. That is what bothers me. They also only issued the recall because Samsung decided to discontinue rather than take chances.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
They investigated yes, but have note said it was the official cause. That is what bothers me. They also only issued the recall because Samsung decided to discontinue rather than take chances.

Of course... they don't know why the phone is going up in smoke, but they know the phone is going up in smoke. The phone is defective... It has nothing to do with the user patterns or anything of the sort.. if it was, all the other phones would be going up at the same rate and they most certainly are not. There is something seriously wrong with the phone. That is an indisputable truth.

Samsung still needs to determine the root cause of the problem, but that root cause isn't necessary for a recall, it's necessary for them to continue as a viable mobile phone manufacturer.

Adaboy

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I was thinking in terms of recalls and I've dealt with a few products that were recalled. For example The drivers seat in my car was recalled last month because of a fire danger from the electronic controls. 5 yrs later a recall on a 2011 Buick Regal CXL.. Now is GMC going to disable your car because you don't, No! I know some people will not turn in this phone unless it gets disable! :-\

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking in terms of recalls and I've dealt with a few products that were recalled. For example The drivers seat in my car was recalled last month because of a fire danger from the electronic controls. 5 yrs later a recall on a 2011 Buick Regal CXL.. Now is GMC going to disable your car because you don't, No! I know some people will not turn in this phone unless it gets disable! :-\
Do any cars even have this kind of ability for remote disabling? I know mine don't. So that analogy doesn't work. Even if possible, it's still up to the manufacturer. Samsung may decide to do this when someone like HTC may not and vice versa.

EDIT: While disabling a car may not be possible for a recall, I do know some dealerships have held vehicles basically for ransom when someone has modified the emissions in an illegal way and wouldn't release it until the owner paid to put things back to normal. So there is that option.

Adaboy

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Yes they do! My car has On Star and you can remotely disable it, diagnosis, and start it via On Star! So its a fair analogy..

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes they do! My car has On Star and you can remotely disable it, diagnosis, and start it via On Star! So its a fair analogy..
Ah. I don't have a "connected vehicle." I.e. No On-Star, no Wi-Fi, no mobile data connections, etc. Good luck remotely disabling that.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
And that is why the dealer never works on my truck. But heh I get the mechanics discount at Ford cuz I bought it from him. It's so cool getting parts dirt cheap. Now go join note 7 rebel on Facebook. There are a lot of people that refuse to give up the Note 7.

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. And these daily posts about phone disabling are totally unnecessary. Those of us still using the phone DO NOT CARE! I'm using mine until it's bricked, a deadline is announced, or the S8 is out.

Same here... Using until last possible minute or s8 is out

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Just a warning to the thread... Altering ones IMEI is illegal and any discussion here could be grounds for banishment across all of Mobile Nation's family of sites.

We've had a few people suggesting the practice, I suggest that you avoid doing it again.

piinkRainbowz

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
One of our replacement Note 7s had a couple of glitches, so we took it to Sprint for repair yesterday. The Sprint tech couldn't fix the glitch and called Samsung tech support. After the conversation with Samsung, the Sprint tech still had trouble getting the phone to work. He found out Samsung disabled gmail access on the phone so it wouldn't work anymore. Then we found out today that Samsung plans to do this to all Note 7s in 2-3 weeks. Just a heads up in case you aren't aware of this so that you can be prepared.
But only Google can disable Gmail support for your device.

Samsung maybe able to disable support to the email app but not Gmail. And it would done as an update. And out of all people why would they choose you. One random person.

I smell bull.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Just a heads up the headphones won't be included. You'll have to go to LG's promotion site to redeem them like Samsung with the Gear/SD cards.

I know I got the sd card from Best Buy the same day on the spot for getting the N7 but know about the LG promotion site. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze