N7 and Pixel XL side-by-side, initial impressions

dennisharrison

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Screen: I expected the Note 7 to dominate, but it's more of a 10/10 vs 8.5/10 situation. Noticeable, but acceptable.

Speed: Holy crap the Pixel UI is FAST! There is certainly no way of comparing the two as peers in this category. Note 7 feels sluggish. I'm using default animation speeds and etc on both, so perhaps that's a part of the difference. Even the text input on the Pixel XL is perceptibly quicker/smoother.

Camera: Opposite of the screen expectations and results. I expected this to be a very close call with mostly opinion being the difference maker. The camera is faster on the Note 7. Low light performance is objectively better on the Note 7, and focusing in video is WAY faster on the Pixel XL.

Software Aesthetics: Pixel doesn't have a theme store, but you can change launcher. I've settled with a dark theme for the Google keyboard so far. The live backgrounds are 'cool'. I prefer the theme options on the Note 7. YMMV.

Hardware Aesthetics: Note 7 wins, by a mile! The Pixel XL looks and feels like an iPhone 7 plus - in nearly every way. The Pixel XL is noticeably lighter, which will be of some benefit for VR usage.

Battery: TBD. I've got plenty of logs for and attention paid to battery life on the Note 7 (GSam Battery Monitor is such a good program), so I'll update this after using the new phone for a week.

What did I miss? We already know the Pixel doesn't have the S-Pen, Samsung Pay, Iris, Secure Folder, Gear VR, S-View, AOD, water proofing, SD card support, and a few other things here and there.

As a note fan, how do I feel at first blush? I know I'll miss the S-Pen, the rest I can put up with for the SPEED (as well as the system updates timeline).

Hope this helps those of you still looking for their next option.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I got to play with the Pixel in the store today. I have to agree that the performance and UI was fast and buttery smooth. But if I'm being honest, I didn't get "blown away" by anything else.

How much of the speed/performance is due to the hardware? How much due to software (or lack thereof)?

The Note 7 still is the king. Additionally, I'm currently in a 14 day trial with the Moto Z Force and I'm very impressed! 😂

dennisharrison

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I got to play with the Pixel in the store today. I have to agree that the performance and UI was fast and buttery smooth. But if I'm being honest, I didn't get "blown away" by anything else.

How much of the speed/performance is due to the hardware? How much due to software (or lack thereof)?

The Note 7 still is the king. Additionally, I'm currently in a 14 day trial with the Moto Z Force and I'm very impressed! 😂

What about the Moto has you liking it?

On the Pixel being faster: I'd think it's something 70℅ software being lighter (having less, sure, but more about being a tighter and more focused software stack), with the hardware bump being worth a third of the speed increase. 820 to 821 in real world usage isn't that big of a deal for the majority of apps.

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Screen: I expected the Note 7 to dominate, but it's more of a 10/10 vs 8.5/10 situation. Noticeable, but acceptable.

Speed: Holy crap the Pixel UI is FAST! There is certainly no way of comparing the two as peers in this category. Note 7 feels sluggish. I'm using default animation speeds and etc on both, so perhaps that's a part of the difference. Even the text input on the Pixel XL is perceptibly quicker/smoother.

Camera: Opposite of the screen expectations and results. I expected this to be a very close call with mostly opinion being the difference maker. The camera is faster on the Note 7. Low light performance is objectively better on the Note 7, and focusing in video is WAY faster on the Pixel XL.

Software Aesthetics: Pixel doesn't have a theme store, but you can change launcher. I've settled with a dark theme for the Google keyboard so far. The live backgrounds are 'cool'. I prefer the theme options on the Note 7. YMMV.

Hardware Aesthetics: Note 7 wins, by a mile! The Pixel XL looks and feels like an iPhone 7 plus - in nearly every way. The Pixel XL is noticeably lighter, which will be of some benefit for VR usage.

Battery: TBD. I've got plenty of logs for and attention paid to battery life on the Note 7 (GSam Battery Monitor is such a good program), so I'll update this after using the new phone for a week.

What did I miss? We already know the Pixel doesn't have the S-Pen, Samsung Pay, Iris, Secure Folder, Gear VR, S-View, AOD, water proofing, SD card support, and a few other things here and there.

As a note fan, how do I feel at first blush? I know I'll miss the S-Pen, the rest I can put up with for the SPEED (as well as the system updates timeline).

Hope this helps those of you still looking for their next option.
Thanks for the review. It's nice to have a side by side from a Note 7 fan. I will start setting mine up tomorrow.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
It's JUST like the iPhone 7 plus. Not even through whole day with the phone, and it's already a non issue. I'd totally recommend the black over other colors though, as it's less of an issue when the color fades away from the screen.
No the bezels on pixel are much smaller and manageable. The 7 plus is a gigantic phone in every since of the word. Was glad to see that the pixel xl was as tall or as wide as the iPhone.

dennisharrison

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
No the bezels on pixel are much smaller and manageable. The 7 plus is a gigantic phone in every since of the word. Was glad to see that the pixel xl was as tall or as wide as the iPhone.

I have both here and can't see much difference. Pixel XL has slightly smaller bezel on sides. More comfortable to use though due to the shape of the sides.

dennisharrison

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the review. It's nice to have a side by side from a Note 7 fan. I will start setting mine up tomorrow.

Very welcome. I spent so much time deliberating between Pixel XL, S7E, and V20. Very curious to hear a Note fan's impression of the new LG.

All in l wish this thing had S-Pen, the gorgeous N7 screen, waterproofing, and Samsung Pay. So hopefully the Note 8 comes out :D

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll also say thank you, however, I'm still waiting for my Pixel XL to arrive and cruising along with my backup (Note 7 traded for Replacement Note 7 then turned in for Full Refund) Note 5 for now. Can't Wait!

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
What about the Moto has you liking it?

For one, the very close (and I mean VERY close) look & feel to stock Android. The Z is fast and doesn't feel "bloated" like the Samsung devices. The feel of the Z in your hand is good (maybe a little too wide for my small hands), but the style shell definitely helps there. The battery life on the bigger Z Force is very good. And the ability to slap on an extended battery pack (add the Incipio wireless pack to your Christmas list!) is simply icing on the cake. And finally, the mods. Moto truly came out with something new and innovative - but more importantly, the implementation is perfect. Just stick the mod on and it works - SIMPLE!

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have the N7 and the Pixel XL as well.

- The Pixel is definitely faster, definitely smoother. It's noticeable.
- I miss the home button. I dislike on screen buttons.
- The Pixel camera seems pretty darn great. I don't think low light photos are that different, except for EXTREMELY low light ones. And for those, the N7 lights it up more, but is more grainy for me. And for those really rare instances, I would probably just flip the flash on anyway. The Front Camera seems better to me on the Pixel, the rear cameras are very, very close. I haven't taken enough pics to really tell yet. The fact that the cameras are so close in quality to me is, in itself, a testament to just how good a job Google did with the Pixel camera - because the N7 camera was the best I have ever seen.
- The rear fingerprint sensor on the back works well, is quick and it's consistent. but, being that is is on the back, for me it is sometimes a pain (laying on the desk, etc). But again, it is fast, and it turns the screen on and unlocks with one touch, quickly. Having the ability to pull down the notification shade using a fingerprint sensor swipe is nice too.
- Somehow, amazingly, the Quick Toggles at the top of the Pixel are missing a "Sound" toggle. They finally added the Samsung-like quick toggles (and there are 6 showing at once), and they are customizable. But somehow there is no toggle for "Sound" (Sound, Vibrate, "Silent). Silly little thing, but something I used ALL THE TIME on the N7, and just an astonishing , silly omission. Google is great, but sometimes they leave out the easiest things. You have to actually lower the volume all the way down with the volume button to get it to Vibrate. Welcome to 2010 I guess? :-/
- Nouget 7.1 is great. The whole UI is smooth and buttery on the Pixel XL, and the app shortcuts (3d touch stuff) in 7.1 are super handy. It is IMO excellent software that now seems less boring than it used to be years ago. I still prefer much about Touchwiz, but "stock" has come a long way. The nice bright colors everywhere spruce up the feeling as well. It's really a joy to use. Fast, fast, fast. Opening apps, scrolling, multi-tasking - all of it is just about instant. Kudos to Google for this.
- I love using the Assistant. It has some ways to go yet, but it's pretty great. I use it WAY more than I ever used Google Now.
- I miss the Wireless Charging big time from the N7
- Too early to assess battery, but through almost 2 days it is definitely not worse than the N7, and almost assuredly better. We'll see though over the next week as "normal" usage ensues.
- I like the look and feel of the Pixel. I prefer the N7 looks overall, but the Pixel look and feel is nice IMO. I definitely don't feel like I am gonna drop the Pixel, like I did with the N7.
- No issues with radios. GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, and LTE all seem great so far, but it is early days.
- The screen on the Pixel is very nice. It's my first non-Galaxy screen in about 3 or 4 years, so I was tentative. I agree with the OP that it is just a notch below the N7. It's still really nice though, but nothing - and I mean nothing - beats the Galaxy screens IMO. It's preference of course, but for me Samsung is the king of display technology.
- Split screen works great. It doesn't support all apps yet, but many. And so many more will come soon - unlike on Samsung where there seems to be limited , static amount that support split screen.

Everyone's experience will differ. For me, I see pros and cons. Overall I am happy after 2 days. Just the sheer speed and snappiness might just make me forget some of the great things I will miss from my N7..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12