Galaxy Note 8 might be in development

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
News is being recycled on different sites but news sounds promising. Just hope it's in February with the S8 launch... but I guess I can hold off and use my iPhone 6 if later than that. :)

Samsung promises Korean Note 7 owners a 50 percent discount on the Note 8 - The Verge

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 might happen after all - Business Insider

No way the Note 8 will launch in March when the S line usually does. That is WAY too soon and they still don't have it figured out what caused the problems with the Note 7.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't think anyone was saying that the Note 8 would launch in March. This is just an indication that they have not given up on using the Note brand for the next version of the Note (which usually launches in the fall).

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That's why I said... I hope :) There was talk that they wanted to concentrate on one flagship model per year instead of 6 months in between S-series and Note series so if they want that... then it would most likely be February. Who knows... I mentioned elsewhere maybe they do know what caused the issue... just not saying at this point and can go forward with Note 8. Or the chassis design is already different on Note 8 if they are getting rid of the home button like the S8 so it basically won't be the same phone that had issues. Could be going with LG batteries is part of the fix too.

Just hoping it's February :)

No way the Note 8 will launch in March when the S line usually does. That is WAY too soon and they still don't have it figured out what caused the problems with the Note 7.

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I hope the US get's the program so that I could switch out when the Note 8 comes out. And I do hope that they take a year perfecting the design this time and not rush it. Heck take even longer if need be.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I hope the US get's the program so that I could switch out when the Note 8 comes out. And I do hope that they take a year perfecting the design this time and not rush it. Heck take even longer if need be.

I would also like to have unlocked models out sooner so I can buy it from best buy to avoid the ordeal I had with my carrier regarding this whole fiasco.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I doubt anywhere but Korea will get the discount. The series is a high end device to compete with the iPhone. A $400 phone is not usually in the same league. And apple fans will say how iphones are better because they cost more (like they did in the past). So Samsung won't be lowering prices across the globe.

Also, could they really offer half priced phones then expect other customers to pay full price without filing a lawsuit? And if the 8 series is only worth $400, what was the 7 series worth? Maybe Samsung is overcharging everyone.
So, no, they won't discount the 8.

Last edited:

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I can't remember where I read this at the moment, but one article mentioned spring and late summer when referring to when they upgrade regarding the S8 and Note 8.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think Verizon should have worked with Samsung, or Samsung worked with Verizon to extend the purchase date of the S7s to qualify them for the annual upgrade program. I ended up with a half price refurbished S7Edge because I did not want to be stuck for two years or to have to pay off half the phone when the Note 8 arrived. Grant it, I did pay $400 for this refurb but I will be able to sell it for at least $200 next year when the N8 arrives.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I wish the news would make its mind up, since reports earlier were even the S8 is on hold until they figure out what the apparent problem is.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I think the whole "Note is dead" talk was mostly as a brand, not the actual device. There is most certainly a Note 7 successor in development, it was debatable that they would keep the Note brand around due to the stigma.

And there's zero chance it'll drop with the S8... a) it's been in development for months as is, on target for the usual fall launch and b) no way in hell Samsung will give the appearance of rushing a device to market

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well news articles I've seen says S8 development is pushed back two weeks... right now... because of dealing with the Note 7. And even though I tossed the idea maybe Samsung does have an idea what happened but not telling... we really don't know and maybe it's true they still have no idea what happened... and it can cause further delay on the S8 (hope not).

Tossing another thought... I hope there is a Note 8 soon... but they could have tossed the Note 8 name just to get the Koreans excited about the upgrade promotion to the S8 or the Note 8 because the way they made the exchange program different from rest of world making it sound more voluntary, that they aren't getting people to return their Note 7s and they are coming up with this upgrade path to get them to trade in their phones now. They can always announce later pushing back launch or cancel it if they need. Sounds like they really want these phones out of circulation.

I wish the news would make its mind up, since reports earlier were even the S8 is on hold until they figure out what the apparent problem is.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Apparently, the Note line isn't dead.

Again, why are people surprised by this? Everyone is desperate to predict the death of the Note line, how many times must they be proven wrong before they give that up?

Each year, cell phone manufacturers produce and release a newer version of their previous device. Samsung has made loads of money on their S line and their Note line. They had a massive problem with the Note 7, but they're smart enough to realize there's still a huge market for the device each year. Yet people are acting surprised that they'll continue it. Everyone was so excited by the news there'd be a Note 8. Doesn't that pretty much tell you all to stop predicting it's demise? If you're excited by the news, millions of other people are as well. Which means Samsung would be stupid to end the device over one iteration being a disaster.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I was thinking about this, not sure if it should discussed in this thread, or should start its own.

But because we're talking about the "Next Note Device" and talks of early announcement, let alone early launch.

I was wondering... What do you think the likely hood would be that the "Note 8" development isn't going to be much of a development at all? What if, to save costs for the immediate future, and because of the short lived Note 7, the next Note Device is actually a slight remodel of the current Note 7?

Fix the issue, quick turn around, slight redesign, but same overall specks. Could it be done, should it be done, would it be done?

Just wondering about this, considering the 2 month sale and end of the Note 7, the billions lost, and the potential law suites and other fallout from the entire situation. It's still a business and they still need to turn some profits. Would it be in the best interest to try to recycle the internals, and modify them with low costs? Or would it be better to scrap it all and start from scratch. Create an entirely new hardware device, from the ground up, but with the same intent, and integrity of the Note Brand? Would it be a bad idea to try to fix something that is broke, and recycle it (meaning internals) as something new?

Wouldn't it still be considered new, given the fact that it was making it's way to be Phone of the Year, in such a short amount of time?

Would you still consider picking it up, if that scenario came to fruition? Would you think better or worse of Samsung for making such a move?

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Would you still consider picking it up, if that scenario came to fruition? Would you think better or worse of Samsung for making such a move?

To answer your question- If Sprint doesn't kill the Note 7 that I'm currently using to type this message, I will be getting a Note 8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21