I'm *keeping* my Note 7..

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpjackson

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
...for as long as I can, or until an equal or better device is released by Samsung, or another manufacturer. Or, until when/if Samsung or my carrier was to cut off my connectivity, or otherwise preclude my ability to continue using my Note 7.

I think the party that benefits most from Samsung's decision to abandon and run away from the Note 7 is... Samsung. Yes, there is obviously some kind of a safety hazard to Note 7 owners, too, but it's not at all clear how much greater that risk is than from other devices that aren't deemed to be afflicted with some kind of out of the ordinary flaw. Even so, I have been and will continue to be mindful of where my Note 7 is, and make sure I've accounted for what will happen and what to do should it suddenly commence to melt down on its own. That's an inconvenient and odd burden to have to take on from something like a cell phone, but it is what it is. I waited for this phone for two years, and there still isn't anything out there that compares. For now, it looks like I've got about a year to get through with this one, until Samsung has a new one without this one's self-immolation feature.

Apparently, I also have a lot of company in my point of view and decision, too:

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Still Being Used by Over a Million People Worldwide: Report | NDTV Gadgets360.com

The longer the present situation goes on without an appreciable worsening rate or total number of Note 7 failures, the better an idea it will give each of us Note 7 owners, individually, about the chances of our own particular device succumbing. Until Samsung definitively determines the explanation for the causality of the meltdowns, I hope it benefits them, too, to learn real-world what the actual failure rate will end up being.

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I still have my Note 7, but it's powered down and I'm waiting for a good Best Buy deal on the S7E before I turn it in. I've taken precautions (probably none of them necessary) like keeping the phone on a metal computer casing, to avoid what probably won't ever happen.

When I was using the phone though, I downloaded this app to give me a heads up when the battery was getting on the warm side... https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...bsmartapps.batterytempalarmpro&token=jJ2wEgOg

blackhawk77#WN

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I guess you don't plan of travelling at all. I have to fly probably 5-6 times a year for work so it's not an option for me. They have also banned it in the datacenters I have to work in.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I no longer fly and hate to give up my N7 but it has no future and may or may not be bricked at some point in the future by either Samsung or the carriers. Going with a LG V20 this Friday and getting a $200 gift card from Best Buy out of it where I bought my N7. I upgrade every year so that will get me by until next Summer to see whats new again. Didn't want to go backwards with an S7 Edge too small for me. But I feel your pain good luck to you.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I guess you don't plan of travelling at all. I have to fly probably 5-6 times a year for work so it's not an option for me. They have also banned it in the datacenters I have to work in.

I believe it's banned on all public transportation now that there has been an official recall, it's a great phone and I miss it a lot but not worth the headache. Plus should something happen you will be 100% liable and insurance will more than likely disapprove any claim due to the recall. May seem paranoid but you never know when or if something will happen. Besides if you own it you can't sell it down the road to recover any money so financially it seems like a bad investment.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
The Note series is still alive Samsung to release S8 & N8 possible under different name

Not necessarily at the same time

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
...for as long as I can, or until an equal or better device is released by Samsung, or another manufacturer. Or, until when/if Samsung or my carrier was to cut off my connectivity, or otherwise preclude my ability to continue using my Note 7.

I think the party that benefits most from Samsung's decision to abandon and run away from the Note 7 is... Samsung. Yes, there is obviously some kind of a safety hazard to Note 7 owners, too, but it's not at all clear how much greater that risk is than from other devices that aren't deemed to be afflicted with some kind of out of the ordinary flaw. Even so, I have been and will continue to be mindful of where my Note 7 is, and make sure I've accounted for what will happen and what to do should it suddenly commence to melt down on its own. That's an inconvenient and odd burden to have to take on from something like a cell phone, but it is what it is. I waited for this phone for two years, and there still isn't anything out there that compares. For now, it looks like I've got about a year to get through with this one, until Samsung has a new one without this one's self-immolation feature.

Apparently, I also have a lot of company in my point of view and decision, too:

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Still Being Used by Over a Million People Worldwide: Report | NDTV Gadgets360.com

The longer the present situation goes on without an appreciable worsening rate or total number of Note 7 failures, the better an idea it will give each of us Note 7 owners, individually, about the chances of our own particular device succumbing. Until Samsung definitively determines the explanation for the causality of the meltdowns, I hope it benefits them, too, to learn real-world what the actual failure rate will end up being.

i am keeping mine as well.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I think I am over this.... I have the LG V20 that I like. I am still using my Note 7. I think I am going to continue using it. I actually like swapping between both.....Lol.

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I think I am over this.... I have the LG V20 that I like. I am still using my Note 7. I think I am going to continue using it. I actually like swapping between both.....Lol.

yea i think this whole thing will go down as the biggest knee jerk reaction in cell phone history. i use mine every day.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
To all you guys still using the Note 7, be sure to join the Note 7 Rebel group if you have Facebook. The group just started and is growing rapidly. Down the road, I hope we can help show through our numbers that this recall really wasn't necessary and the media completely killed this phone for everybody.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Actually the rumor now is that there is no issue with the N7 as the media would have us believe. Seems as though we have a rash of phones burning up. IPhones, s7's, s7e's, N7's, HTC's, etc. Not only are phones burning, so are beats pill pluses. It will be sad to find that with Tech as advanced as we have a simple explanation could be a CME. Some have been known to last days, weeks, even over a month at a time. I've been informed that at a certain point if I keep my N7 and am still using it they will bill me for it and leave it on the network. Also at some point the bans will get lifted because there is no threat of more burning up. That there would explain why they can't replicate it.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Why put your own safety and the safety of others at risk because you don't want to give up your phone? There are just as good of phones on the market. The closest one to the Note7 is the S7 edge. It doesn't have an iris scanner or an S Pen, but other than those two things, who cares? I traded my Note7 for the silver 256GB iPhone 7 Plus and I don't have any regrets and I don't miss my Note7 at all.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I no longer fly and hate to give up my N7 but it has no future and may or may not be bricked at some point in the future by either Samsung or the carriers. Going with a LG V20 this Friday and getting a $200 gift card from Best Buy out of it where I bought my N7. I upgrade every year so that will get me by until next Summer to see whats new again. Didn't want to go backwards with an S7 Edge too small for me. But I feel your pain good luck to you.

Let me know what you think about the V20. I was leaning that way but I had the G4 - enough said there.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Why put your own safety and the safety of others at risk because you don't want to give up your phone? There are just as good of phones on the market. The closest one to the Note7 is the S7 edge. It doesn't have an iris scanner or an S Pen, but other than those two things, who cares? I traded my Note7 for the silver 256GB iPhone 7 Plus and I don't have any regrets and I don't miss my Note7 at all.

Both my N7s were perfect 0 issues but that 1% chance of injury or house fire was in my mind so to be at peace I gave up , I also have the 7 plus 256gb with 0 regrets!
Will I turn to Samsung again most likely no just because of the amount of energy it took me to correct this mess.
Should of been a lot simpler than it was.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Both my N7s were perfect 0 issues but that 1% chance of injury or house fire was in my mind so to be at peace I gave up , I also have the 7 plus 256gb with 0 regrets!
Will I turn to Samsung again most likely no just because of the amount of energy it took me to correct this mess.
Should of been a lot simpler than it was.

I did something similar but went with the Pixel XL 128 GB instead. I just don't find iPhones interesting.. I tried it when the 6 plus came out. Definitely not a bad phone but just not for me... So I snagged the "iPhone of Google" as they call it :p.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I still have my Note 7, but it's powered down and I'm waiting for a good Best Buy deal on the S7E before I turn it in.

Deal Alert - Target this week is doing $150 off the S7 and S7 Edge! Price of S7E drops to $642 and payments go down from current $33 to $26/mo.

They only carry gold and black colors, FYI. My local Verizon store actually matched this deal and I got another titanium silver phone yesterday.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If not having to fly, I would have probably kept mine, but after going back to the Note 4 with better signal reception and flat display, not so sure. No question miss everything else. Especially the camera. Signal reception kind of sucked though. My Note 4 with MM and new battery gets 5 hours SOT compared to the Note 7 5.5 hours. In weak areas the Note 4 is equal or better. Plus easier for power back up with just battery than portable charger and cable.

That all said, probably would have kept, mainly due to twice the app storage of Note 4 and the super sweet camera. The camera.... dang I miss that. If the Pixel had an sd slot and better signal reception....... Nah. :)

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
yea i think this whole thing will go down as the biggest knee jerk reaction in cell phone history. i use mine every day.

^^ Lol what he/she said. This phone is pretty much flawless. Sprint is gonna have to block my IMEI number or whatever it's called to get me to return it. Ill say it again- 35 reported cases against 1 million sold phones. The 35 were not even confirmed. Especially the Southwest Airlines and the Exploding jeep. 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.