I'm *keeping* my Note 7..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Let me know what you think about the V20. I was leaning that way but I had the G4 - enough said there.

Day 5 of the V20 experience and I'm very pleased. Having had a V10 for the past 354 days I had certain expectations for the V20 which were based on the use of my powerful but quirky V10. None of the V10's quirks have yet to manifest in the V20 (yeah, it's only been five days) and the V20's battery life is remarkable. I ordered two spare batteries for the V20 off of eBay which arrived yesterday; through five days I haven't been in a situation where a spare would have been necessary. I have also kept the Facebook Messenger app off of the V20. In the past Messenger seemed to drain the battery on devices where I had it installed. I recently uninstalled Messenger from my V10 and will be running some tests vs. the V20.

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I would have kept mine.... I kept reading that if I don't turn it in, tmobile will charge me for the entire phone, then I wasn't sure if they would force an update to brick the phone, and I wasn't sure if I waited too long, they won't give me my 75.00 credit to switch to another phone and 25.00 to turn it in and if I waited until they brick it, they won't give me credit anymore.

From the looks of things, none of that has happened, I should have just kept the phone and be part of the few who still have a Note 7 but its too late now..

Well, honestly I kind of wish mine was already gone so it wouldn't tempt me so. :p It's been sitting in a cast iron loaf pan in my kitchen waiting for its return box. While I think the N7 situation has been overblown (pun intended) I would not feel right taking it out in public. Not that I think it would harm anybody but I sure would feel foolish if all the sudden it goes snap crackle pop and poof a cloud of smoke goes up around me. While there wouldn't be any flaming shrapnel involved, people are jumpy these days and I don't need the drama.

I decided against swapping my sim back and forth because I can do what I want to do with it on WiFi and if it does self immolate I don't want the hassle of getting a replacement sim. I am using it only in the evening where I am either in the hot tub off the back porch next to a horse pasture or on my sofa in the living room where it sits on a glass table next to me. I charge it there on an older slow charging wireless Samsung charger. No harm if that gets singed if it were to flame out on me. I wouldn't even consider bringing it in my truck on and around the farm. I don't need the distraction and I sure wouldn't want it to singe the leather. When I'm done for the evening I power it down and put it back in its loaf pan in the kitchen. :D

wdfrancis58

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Have no idea about Sprint, with Verizon you just swap the Sim. If you have the two phone just try it, power both down swap the sim and fire the one with the sim back up.

With sprint you can't just move the sim to a new phone. I actually had to bring my old note 5 in to get it switched over.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Stupid uneducated phone person here, because I plan on doing just this. Do I have to activate the replacement phone through my carrier (sprint) or does moving the sim card do that?

With Sprint you do not swap Sims. Once activated, you simply log into your account and initiate swaps through the website.

jmnesq

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
With Sprint you do not swap Sims. Once activated, you simply log into your account and initiate swaps through the website.

That's what I thought.

Now, here's my next concern: I am flying around Christmas. I've bought a Galaxy S7 Edge 1) to fly with and 2) should my Note get shut down immediately. Before I fly, I would have to log on to the sprint website, enter the ESN code, and transfer the service over to the Edge, which is likely not a problem.

That being said, has anyone been able to transfer service on Sprint to another phone -- then BACK to the Note? I am concerned that Sprint may not allow for activition of any Galaxy Note 7s . . .

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Amazing to me that so many people have made a decision to carry around a recalled device running Marshmallow, potentially endangering other people because they don't think a S7edge, V20, Moto or Pixel is good enough for them. For me, I would never do that just for the risk of being "the guy" who created some sort of situation by ignoring Samsung and the CPSC. It is an automatic nationally publicized ***** award trophy waiting to happen.

I am playing with a Pixel XL and V20 right now, and they are viable options. I took both off the charger last night at 100% before bed. This morning the Pixel is reading 99%, and the v20 97%. This is after 8+ hours standby. Try to replicate that with a Samsung device. Also, these devices, especially the Pixel- are so much more fluid that the note.

Technology is already moving on.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
That's what I thought.

Now, here's my next concern: I am flying around Christmas. I've bought a Galaxy S7 Edge 1) to fly with and 2) should my Note get shut down immediately. Before I fly, I would have to log on to the sprint website, enter the ESN code, and transfer the service over to the Edge, which is likely not a problem.

That being said, has anyone been able to transfer service on Sprint to another phone -- then BACK to the Note? I am concerned that Sprint may not allow for activition of any Galaxy Note 7s . . .

You wont even need to enter the ESN, the note and all of its ESN data will auto populate so it is literally just a point and click swap.

As for switching back to the note7, who knows. As of now, it is possible.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Problem is now the s7e is catching fire. So is the issue with the phone or with some app people have downloaded? Just think about that a moment. Not too hard for a rogue app to run the cpu to the point of overheating or cause the charging circuit to overcharge the battery.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
^^ Lol what he/she said. This phone is pretty much flawless. Sprint is gonna have to block my IMEI number or whatever it's called to get me to return it. Ill say it again- 35 reported cases against 1 million sold phones. The 35 were not even confirmed. Especially the Southwest Airlines and the Exploding jeep. ������

Just as an FYI, if you're going to continue to propagate false numbers despite your continued awareness that those numbers are fictitious, we're going to start treating that as trolling.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Just as an FYI, if you're going to continue to propagate false numbers despite your continued awareness that those numbers are fictitious, we're going to start treating that as trolling.

At this point I am not sure why AC is even allowing these sorts of threads. Keep a single thread open to discuss returns, and lock down everything else.

Allnicksgone

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Amazing to me that so many people have made a decision to carry around a recalled device running Marshmallow, potentially endangering other people because they don't think a S7edge, V20, Moto or Pixel is good enough for them. For me, I would never do that just for the risk of being "the guy" who created some sort of situation by ignoring Samsung and the CPSC. It is an automatic nationally publicized ***** award trophy waiting to happen.

I am playing with a Pixel XL and V20 right now, and they are viable options. I took both off the charger last night at 100% before bed. This morning the Pixel is reading 99%, and the v20 97%. This is after 8+ hours standby. Try to replicate that with a Samsung device. Also, these devices, especially the Pixel- are so much more fluid that the note.

Technology is already moving on.
I think the Pixel and V20 are both good options.

Unfortunately, Verizon won't allow me those options without paying full price, even though I bought the Note 7 at 2 year contract price.

I refuse to pay an extra $500+ to switch the recalled phone with an adequate replacement.

daiwolf

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
At this point I am not sure why AC is even allowing these sorts of threads. Keep a single thread open to discuss returns, and lock down everything else.

I agree I get you folks love the note 7 and believe me I wanted one but don't be stupid and keep the phones cause eventually the note 7 will be blocked so why risk hurting yourself or others with the phone? Cause if your phones does catch fire you can't blame samsung. The only one to blame is yourselves for not returning it.
OK rant is done Come on note 8!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Trolling? 1 million recalled in the US alone. That's not me saying it, that's the article.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/91876162/

Just shy of a million phones were recalled, but less than 500,000 were ever in the hands of consumers in the US. As of mid September there were 92 reports filed with the CPSC - since that time, in the last 6 weeks, there have been even more. In conjunction with the CPSC, Samsung acknowledges 114 total failures in US models. So 35 and 1,000,000 are both fictitious numbers and this has been pointed out in numerous threads over the course of the last several weeks.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Just shy of a million phones were recalled, but less than 500,000 were ever in the hands of consumers in the US. As of mid September there were 92 reports filed with the CPSC - since that time, in the last 6 weeks, there have been even more. In conjunction with the CPSC, Samsung acknowledges 114 total failures in US models. So 35 and 1,000,000 are both fictitious numbers and this has been pointed out in numerous threads over the course of the last several weeks.

Where is this link that points to your numbers? All I can find are the 2.5 million sold in the world and the 1 million of that 2.5 that was recalled in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon