I'm *keeping* my Note 7..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Conner

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I have a hypothesis to a possible root cause for the Note 7 battery debacle, but I'm wondering if anyone can duplicate the issue. I still have my Note 7 (I don't want to give it up and I've had no problems with it at all). I've observed an interesting issue when charging my phone, however. If I plug the USB-C in so that the metal mesh of the charger is facing down relative to the face of the phone, the charging of the battery *never* heats up. However, if I plug the USB-C charger in so that the mesh of the charger is facing up relative to the face of the phone, my battery heats up significantly. If I reseat the charger to the mesh down position, the battery cools down.

Has anyone else able to reproduce this condition in their Note 7?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a hypothesis to a possible root cause for the Note 7 battery debacle, but I'm wondering if anyone can duplicate the issue. I still have my Note 7 (I don't want to give it up and I've had no problems with it at all). I've observed an interesting issue when charging my phone, however. If I plug the USB-C in so that the metal mesh of the charger is facing down relative to the face of the phone, the charging of the battery *never* heats up. However, if I plug the USB-C charger in so that the mesh of the charger is facing up relative to the face of the phone, my battery heats up significantly. If I reseat the charger to the mesh down position, the battery cools down.

Has anyone else able to reproduce this condition in their Note 7?
Can you explain more precisely what you are doing, with some illustration? I can test it with my phone but I don't understand your message.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh, here are 2 screenshots of what I have disabled with the version 6.3 of the package disabler Premium app. I had to give 2 screenshots because there was one more item in the list when I scroll down... Anyway, it's a couple more items to check on that I found on the Note 7 Rebels page... For Verizon, they even have more but some of them did not seem necessary. Curious to see what other Verizon users are disabling1478119906892.jpg1478119914426.jpg

mikeshauling

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
look at your c charger end, there is a top and bottom. I call the bottom the side with the seam, or mesh as he called it. I think he meant it like that anyways. If he has the seam of the charger pin facing to the back of the phone, it is cooler when its charging compared to when the seam (mesh) is facing the same way the front of the phone faces. Make sense ?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

This is guaranteed to not be related to the defect in the battery of the Note 7.

Fetid

Banned
Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I always use my Note 7 as Sat Nav, dashcam, and for streaming music while fast charging as it's mounted on the top of the dash in the full glare of the hot summer sun down here down under. It gets almost too hot to touch by the time I get to where I'm going, but it still hasn't burst into flames.

So what the hell has caused the other Note 7s to combust?

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I always use my Note 7 as Sat Nav, dashcam, and for streaming music while fast charging mounted on the top of the dash in the full glare of the hot summer sun down here down under. It gets almost too hot to touch by the time I get to where I'm going, but it still hasn't burst into flames.

So what the hell has caused the other Note 7s to combust?

A defect in the battery systems causing delayed onset combustion and not related to charging and seemingly not related to external factors.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
A defect in the battery systems causing delayed onset combustion and not related to charging and seemingly not related to external factors.
What that means is the smartest Minds in the world have not come up with a reason... brings me right back to either one or a combination of all three of the following... Physical damage , accidental or intentional , sabotage and corporate Espionage, baby!

Bcool

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
What that means is the smartest Minds in the world have not come up with a reason... brings me right back to either one or a combination of all three of the following... Physical damage , accidental or intentional , sabotage and corporate Espionage, baby!

Why haven't there been more reports of failures if so many people haven't turned theirs in? Nothing lately.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
All the articles that said nearly a half a million were turned in ... Since there were between 500,000 and 800,000 phone in the US, that's somewhere between 0% to 37.5% with a median of 18.75% - and all of those numbers are over 3 weeks old, so assuming that more than zero people traded them in, it's safe to assume that almost all have been turned in.

Though to play devil's advocate, those could include customers who initiated a return but haven't actually completed it yet. Either way, most of the users are moving along. Hopefully all of those who haven't yet or aren't going to remain safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.