I'm *keeping* my Note 7..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bcool

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
All the articles that said nearly a half a million were turned in ... Since there were between 500,000 and 800,000 phone in the US, that's somewhere between 0% to 37.5% with a median of 18.75% - and all of those numbers are over 3 weeks old, so assuming that more than zero people traded them in, it's safe to assume that almost all have been turned in.

Though to play devil's advocate, those could include customers who initiated a return but haven't actually completed it yet. Either way, most of the users are moving along. Hopefully all of those who haven't yet or aren't going to remain safe.

The latest I info I can find says over 1 million still using their Note 7's. The denominator is between 3.0 million and 4.3 million. That's between 23% and 33% still using their Note 7. Again I ask, where are the recent failures?

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Still Being Used by Over a Million People Worldwide: Report | NDTV Gadgets360.com

https://hbr.org/2016/10/why-samsungs-note-7-crisis-wont-hurt-its-brand-long-term

Dumping 4.3 million Samsung (SSNLF) Galaxy Note 7 smartphones is an environmental debacle that could show us how to recycle ewaste — Quartz

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a hypothesis to a possible root cause for the Note 7 battery debacle, but I'm wondering if anyone can duplicate the issue. I still have my Note 7 (I don't want to give it up and I've had no problems with it at all). I've observed an interesting issue when charging my phone, however. If I plug the USB-C in so that the metal mesh of the charger is facing down relative to the face of the phone, the charging of the battery *never* heats up. However, if I plug the USB-C charger in so that the mesh of the charger is facing up relative to the face of the phone, my battery heats up significantly. If I reseat the charger to the mesh down position, the battery cools down.

Has anyone else able to reproduce this condition in their Note 7?

I tried it. Mine did not heat up with the seam up. you may have a bad cable. Try another...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The max number of devices ever active in the US is 800k or less. We know 90% of the first wave of sales, so 450k of the 500k are returned and second wave sales we're talking x out of a max of 300,000. There were never a million active devices in the US.

Bcool

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
The max number of devices ever active in the US is 800k or less. We know 90% of the first wave of sales, so 450k of the 500k are returned and second wave sales we're talking x out of a max of 300,000. There were never a million active devices in the US.

I was including the full population size. Why only look at just the US to measure the problem? Certainly the media is pointing out failures everywhere.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I was including the full population size. Why only look at just the US to measure the problem? Certainly the media is pointing out failures everywhere.
Because we aren't and never were getting global numbers, I have no idea how many phones were in the wild globally or how many had major battery failures - almost all of the real numbers, as opposed to anecdotal reports, have come from the CPSC and Samsung. So I can't comment on quantities that I'm 100% in the dark on. Literally the only global numbers I've ever seen are 2.5 million shipments before the first recall globally and that Samsung said that less than half were in the hands of consumers.

Bcool

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Because we aren't and never were getting global numbers, I have no idea how many phones were in the wild globally or how many had major battery failures - almost all of the real numbers, as opposed to anecdotal reports, have come from the CPSC and Samsung. So I can't comment on quantities that I'm 100% in the dark on. Literally the only global numbers I've ever seen are 2.5 million shipments before the first recall globally and that Samsung said that less than half were in the hands of consumers.

The article I reference said over 1 million were still using their Note 7's worldwide. Here's another article. The number in use is a hard number. The denominator may not be, but it could be lower than the estimates I used which would mean even more people are still using their Note 7's. The article below says almost 40% still using their Note 7. If there was a serious and significant problem, one would expect to see more failures particularly with so many still being used. This is the latest data I could find ~ Oct 17-20. Check the graph too.

Despite Recall, More Than 1 Million Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Explosives Still In Use » TechWorm

Attachments

• samsung-galaxy-note-7-usage-rate-replacements.png
    samsung-galaxy-note-7-usage-rate-replacements.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 53

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If they're saying 40% and a million, that'd be out if 2.5 million devices, a number we know is higher than the total activated. Those numbers can't go together.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The article I reference said over 1 million were still using their Note 7's worldwide. Here's another article. The number in use is a hard number. The denominator may not be, but it could be lower than the estimates I used which would mean even more people are still using their Note 7's. The article below says almost 40% still using their Note 7. If there was a serious and significant problem, one would expect to see more failures particularly with so many still being used. This is the latest data I could find ~ Oct 17-20. Check the graph too.

Despite Recall, More Than 1 Million Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Explosives Still In Use » TechWorm

Wow... I love how the article title refers to them as Samsung Explosives... on the Apple payroll, I'm guessing... I think I'll buy two Note 8's when they come out, pre-order and all, just to help Sammy recover from what *IMO* I perceive as a media witchhunt...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow... I love how the article title refers to them as Samsung Explosives... on the Apple payroll, I'm guessing... I think I'll buy two Note 8's when they come out, pre-order and all, just to help Sammy recover from what *IMO* I perceive as a media witchhunt...
Yeah... That's just irresponsible and makes me unable to trust anything they say without independent corroboration from trustworthy sources.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... That's just irresponsible and makes me unable to trust anything they say without independent corroboration from trustworthy sources.

It seems like there would be more information forthcoming... I believe it was the Forbes article I linked to earlier that mentioned that the CPSC said an "average" number for returns from recalls usually runs lower than 50%, even for safety issues. So, if 2.5 million sold worldwide, not all activated; let's round down to 2 million activated worldwide, and 50% will be eventually returned, it at least falls into the "realm of reasonable possibility" that 1 million are still in the wild worldwide.

Interestingly, BEFORE all this noise, I really was NOT a Sammy Fangirl! But, I guess I've always had a soft spot for the underdog, and people treated unfairly... This whole situation has made me a rabidly loyal Sammy fan... so weird... and dog-gone it, I just love the phone. :)

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'll return it if they gimp it. I'll keep it til my next Samsung phone otherwise. Paid in full on pre-order, turned in the first phone, and have had absolutely zero temperature issues or any other problems with the phone and it is put under heavy use. I use my Note 4 on trips.

bay2view

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
In New Zealand, Samsung has advised - "From 18 November 2016 customers still using the Note 7 will no longer be able to connect to any New Zealand mobile network services to make calls, use data or send SMS messages."

Status
Not open for further replies.