11-02-2016 06:31 PM
46 12
tools
    10-31-2016 10:01 AM
    Insurance companies will always try to find an angle to invalidate your claim. And knowingly refusing to comply with a safety recall on a product that can burn down your house could be grounds.

How many other ways can the universe tell you to get rid of that phone?
    10-31-2016 10:19 AM
    Will having matches in your home invalidate your insurance? How about smoking cigarettes; haven't they been linked to a string of fires in homes? What about other flammable items kept in your home?
    10-31-2016 10:36 AM
    And what if Samsung does not want to replace the said phone? What then? This is typical insurance trying go weasel out of claim payments.

Will having matches in your home invalidate your insurance? How about smoking cigarettes; haven't they been linked to a string of fires in homes? What about other flammable items kept in your home?
    Insurance will tell you what you can and cannot own. Oh sorry, your matches were kept in unsafe conditions...you should only keep them in a flame proof box, not your drawer.
    10-31-2016 10:38 AM
    And what if Samsung does not want to replace the said phone? What then? This is typical insurance trying go weasel out of claim payments.
    Hmm? What do you mean replace said phone? They've already recalled and advised everyone to return for all their money so.. Not sure what you mean?
    10-31-2016 10:52 AM
    Of course, many of us have not yet received the required box to return our Note 7's.
    jackash0912 likes this.
    10-31-2016 11:21 AM
    Of course, many of us have not yet received the required box to return our Note 7's.
    Simple... power it down and put it in one of these : https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Safet...cUvbUpU5536764
    TwitchyPuppy and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-31-2016 11:24 AM
    Simple... power it down and put it in one of these : https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Safet...cUvbUpU5536819
    I'm not spending any more money or time on the note 7, so this option is out of the question.

My box arrived today so phone will be on its way to death row tonight. I returned all my accessories to Verizon Friday and received my refunds. So at the end of the day today I will be officially done with the n7 fiasco.
    keepnitreel and LeoRex like this.
    10-31-2016 11:48 AM
    Hmm? What do you mean replace said phone? They've already recalled and advised everyone to return for all their money so.. Not sure what you mean?
    Assuming he is one of the unfortunate ones that bought third party.
    10-31-2016 11:53 AM
    Simple. Since I got my phone for free Samsung does not want to replace it. They just want me to send it back to them. First, the fact that I got it for free should not matter and second I refuse to spend more of my time related to this recall with no compensation. My time is not free. I posted about this before. I'm still battling with Samsung to replace my phone, escalating for probably the 3rd time now. In Canada it is not all so clear cut as Samsung has generally been apprehensive about dealing with phones if you're not the buyer. My situation is further complicated by the fact that the free phone was a result of an administrative mistake, but is regardless legally my property. Even before the 2nd recall Samsung had already wasted nearly 3 days of my time in back and forth with my original phone which was defective, then a second phone that was recalled, and so on. I realize that my situation isn't typical, but it nevertheless isn't being handled properly at all by Samsung.
    10-31-2016 11:57 AM
    I refuse to spend more of my time related to this recall with no compensation.
    That is your fault. They gave you the window and you refused. Insurance won't take that as a valid response when you had the option and just didn't want to do it.
    Cary Quinn and libra89 like this.
    10-31-2016 12:54 PM
    That is your fault. They gave you the window and you refused. Insurance won't take that as a valid response when you had the option and just didn't want to do it.
    So don't return it and just turn it off and discard it at a best buy, they'll recycle phones. Since it was free there's no money to be refunded so just get rid of it.
    Almeuit, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-31-2016 12:58 PM
    Simple. Since I got my phone for free Samsung does not want to replace it. They just want me to send it back to them. First, the fact that I got it for free should not matter and second I refuse to spend more of my time related to this recall with no compensation. My time is not free. I posted about this before. I'm still battling with Samsung to replace my phone, escalating for probably the 3rd time now. In Canada it is not all so clear cut as Samsung has generally been apprehensive about dealing with phones if you're not the buyer. My situation is further complicated by the fact that the free phone was a result of an administrative mistake, but is regardless legally my property. Even before the 2nd recall Samsung had already wasted nearly 3 days of my time in back and forth with my original phone which was defective, then a second phone that was recalled, and so on. I realize that my situation isn't typical, but it nevertheless isn't being handled properly at all by Samsung.
    Wait - what? If you got the phone free... Simply return it to Samsung... Problem solved. Why do you feel like you should get a replacement phone for free (via admitted "administrative mistake").

Sounds like you want something for nothing.

They are providing ways to return the device by sending you, at their cost, the ability to ship it back safely. You are out no monetary value.

For your "time" - stand in line... There are around 2M affected negatively by this recall - including their time that will never be made whole. Myself included. Your options are to buy another Samsung phone and get a discount for your "time" - or take a different credit and move on..

I chose the latter - as imho Samsung willingly chose to rush this out to market and negatively impact my time twice by not doing due diligence to properly address the issue when it first occurred.

To that end - I did the only thing possible in my control - took my money elsewhere and spent it on a competing product.

I expect nothing from Samsung at this point. I may look at eventually purchasing another phone from them in the coming years - but I'll be less likely to purchase so quickly ....
    10-31-2016 01:14 PM
    Those aren't officially recalled products.
    10-31-2016 01:27 PM
    All of the people driving around in cars with the recalled airbags also had their auto insurance canceled.
    sandra_17 and dejanh like this.
    10-31-2016 01:32 PM
    If the phone was not the cause of destruction, then the insurance company still pays regardless if you own a N7.
    Are they going to say, "hey we're not paying for the fire damage your stove caused because you own a N7"?
    The fear mongering is unbelievable
    10-31-2016 01:47 PM
    What window? Sorry, but you actually have no idea what you're saying. I don't want any monetary compensation, I just want to replace my device with a different one. The fact that I got it for free doesn't matter. Who gifted it to me doesn't matter. It's not like I just throw it in the junk and say "oh well, too bad, at least it was free".

Silly.

Wait - what? If you got the phone free... Simply return it to Samsung... Problem solved. Why do you feel like you should get a replacement phone for free (via admitted "administrative mistake").
    Because it is actually my property. The laws don't stop applying just because XYZ screwed up somewhere at some time. Even Samsung agrees, they just don't agree that I should get a replacement. Think of it like this...you won a phone at a raffle. Original buyer is nonexistent, cannot be found. Should Samsung replace it or do you just throw it away? There is nothing illegitimate in my claim. The fact that Samsung just wasted a crap-load of my time leading up to the second recall only further strengthens my point that I don't want to just let them walk away with no responsibility.
    10-31-2016 02:20 PM
    What window? Sorry, but you actually have no idea what you're saying. I don't want any monetary compensation, I just want to replace my device with a different one. The fact that I got it for free doesn't matter. Who gifted it to me doesn't matter. It's not like I just throw it in the junk and say "oh well, too bad, at least it was free".

Silly.

Because it is actually my property. The laws don't stop applying just because XYZ screwed up somewhere at some time. Even Samsung agrees, they just don't agree that I should get a replacement. Think of it like this...you won a phone at a raffle. Original buyer is nonexistent, cannot be found. Should Samsung replace it or do you just throw it away? There is nothing illegitimate in my claim. The fact that Samsung just wasted a crap-load of my time leading up to the second recall only further strengthens my point that I don't want to just let them walk away with no responsibility.
    Samsung's recall program is designed to reimburse you for all direct expenditures on the device. So all the money you paid Samsung, whether directly or through one of their retail partners, is supposed to be paid back to you. In your case that dollar amount is zero, right?
    TeamPowerstroke likes this.
    10-31-2016 02:34 PM

Silly.

First - you got your money back so keeping it is a choice. Again.. Won't matter to an insurance company.

As for the 2nd part.. I'm not sure what that has to do with the conversation? Home owners insurance has rules that you have to go by to be insured... If you violate them and try and do a claim then you're out of luck. Simple as that. Not sure what's up with the whole contest won phone analogy.
    10-31-2016 02:34 PM
    Samsung's recall program is designed to reimburse you for all direct expenditures on the device. So all the money you paid Samsung, whether directly or through one of their retail partners, is supposed to be paid back to you. In your case that dollar amount is zero, right?
    Correct. Samsung does not owe me any direct money. They do however owe me a replacement device for a Note7 that was free. It's really not that complex.
    First - you got your money back so keeping it is a choice. Again.. Won't matter to an insurance company.

As for the 2nd part.. I'm not sure what that has to do with the conversation? Home owners insurance has rules that you have to go by to be insured... If you violate them and try and do a claim then you're out of luck. Simple as that. Not sure what's up with the whole contest won phone analogy.
    This entire conversation is tangential to the insurance conversation. You or somebody else replied to one of my comments and so we find ourselves here. I used myself as an example, but I'm also 100% certain that there are many others out there (I know in Canada there are for sure) that Samsung claims no responsibility for because the recall is apparently only relevant if Samsung feels it is relevant. I'm not sure what is so complicated to understand here but it basically comes down to Samsung being selective about their responsibility. A recall on a product needs to apply universally, no matter how somebody came to own the product. If I bought a used car that then got taken off the market and had to be returned that doesn't make it a "too bad so sad" situation where I just need to "cut my losses", whether in direct money or other economic damages. But, let's get back to insurance now.

Unless the fire was directly caused by the Note7 and the insurance company can prove that you intentionally took the risk by ignoring any and all advisories there is no way that they can spin this in their favor. It would be the equivalent of saying that you cannot get life insurance because you choose to eat cake, because you know, diabetes.
    10-31-2016 03:03 PM

If you intentionally violate them and file a claim it's called fraud
    10-31-2016 03:32 PM
    If you intentionally violate them and file a claim it's called fraud
    Well yes of course it is -- if you're trying to deceive them by hiding it. If you tell them straight up you have a Note 7 after they say they won't insure you for it -- then you opened the door. Obviously keeping it and knowingly lying about it if something happened would be fraud -- I never once promoted doing that and never would.
    10-31-2016 03:41 PM
    Unless the fire was directly caused by the Note7 and the insurance company can prove that you intentionally took the risk by ignoring any and all advisories there is no way that they can spin this in their favor. It would be the equivalent of saying that you cannot get life insurance because you choose to eat cake, because you know, diabetes.
    That isn't really relevant. If they say it shouldn't be in your possession / house to be insured then that is their terms that you have to agree to in order to be insured. Plain and simple.
    10-31-2016 03:45 PM
    That really is ridiculous. The insurance carrier has every right took define the terms of the policy, and if the note 7 had been recalled by the manufacturer for starting fires, they have every right to not cover fires from a known fire hazard. Matches are not a fire hazard, they are safer unless misused or intentionally used for arson. Night and day difference here.
    Jona005 likes this.
    10-31-2016 05:33 PM
    That isn't really relevant. If they say it shouldn't be in your possession / house to be insured then that is their terms that you have to agree to in order to be insured. Plain and simple.
    Maybe in the US the insurer gets to dictate what you can and cannot own, but this is certainly not the case in Canada. In Canada the insurer can refuse to insure a said piece of property or ask you to pay a higher premium as a consequence, or even outright refuse to provide insurance, but cannot dictate what you do or don't own. Is it really like that for you guys? Serious question because that seems crazy...
    10-31-2016 06:07 PM
46 12